Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

WickedHate posted:

I've never seen Lucy, but I've thought about this cliche before and it really bothers me. A bigger/better brain would just increase your ability and capacity to learn, not give you a bunch of random knowlege.

I took it as more of that she was "connected" to reality in a way normal people aren't. It's not that she suddenly knew everything, it was that she could conjure up the information she needed from reality itself or something.

But gently caress if I know. Trying to make sense of Lucy is an exercise in futility. I couldn't stand that she had limitless reality bending powers but still used physical means of defeating her enemies, walked everywhere, and otherwise acted like a human still bound by physics. She could have easily blinked everyone out of existence, teleported, and yanked information she needed straight out of peoples brains.

As I said, she's Doctor Manhattan as written by someone with no imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Also why did she let all those cops die instead of just putting the bad guys to sleep?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair, on the "She kills a lot of innocent people" criticism I think that that was the point. She isn't a hero, or particularly villainous she just stops seeing other people due to her nigh omnipotence. She does mention earlier in the movie that she is concerned that she may be losing herself due to suddenly being a god among ants. She keeps the police officer around as a reminder so maybe that's why shes not teleporting all over the place and majorly (only slightly) breaking physics, she is trying to keep herself grounded in some way.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair, on the "She kills a lot of innocent people" criticism I think that that was the point. She isn't a hero, or particularly villainous she just stops seeing other people due to her nigh omnipotence. She does mention earlier in the movie that she is concerned that she may be losing herself due to suddenly being a god among ants. She keeps the police officer around as a reminder so maybe that's why shes not teleporting all over the place and majorly (only slightly) breaking physics, she is trying to keep herself grounded in some way.

So it's "Why does God let innocent people die?" and the answer is because she/he doesn't care? I can live with that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah another thing with that movie. She needs to take her time and concentrate to do the computer thing at the end, and she knows a bunch of dudes are coming for her right now. Why the gently caress didn't she wait for them to show up, deal with them, and then do the computer poo poo?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh yeah another thing with that movie. She needs to take her time and concentrate to do the computer thing at the end, and she knows a bunch of dudes are coming for her right now. Why the gently caress didn't she wait for them to show up, deal with them, and then do the computer poo poo?

holy poo poo she was so powerful she could tell she was in a lovely action movie and that she had to leave in a stupid shootout for there to be any tension :O

To be fair I totally forgot about the patient in the hospital or the car chase before, my bad.

And I'm not really arguing these are all valid points, I just saw the movie as something stupid to watch for shits and giggles.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

To me, Lucy was a great movie, because I hurt my back real bad the Friday it opened, and was doped out of my skull on pain killers when I saw it, so it was flashy colors and Scarlett Johansson bouncing around doing crazy flips and poo poo. I'm sure if I watched it again it'd be terrible, but I can safely say that movie is pretty good under the influence.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

She can control gravity.
She super fast so the lap is now super fast.

And I have no idea what the gently caress happened in the airplane.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

She can control gravity.
She super fast so the lap is now super fast.

And I have no idea what the gently caress happened in the airplane.

The powers were starting to burn her body up at the atomic level. So she ingested more of the drug to unlock more powers so she could physically pull her body back together and rebuild it.

At first she was concerned that her body would burn up and kill her, but I think what we were supposed to take away from the airplane scene was the increased dose pushed her to a level where the burnup was no longer an issue but now she had the inevitable result of becoming so powerful as to remove herself from the human condition entirely. So she replaced one ticking clock with another.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Kruller posted:

To me, Lucy was a great movie, because I hurt my back real bad the Friday it opened, and was doped out of my skull on pain killers when I saw it, so it was flashy colors and Scarlett Johansson bouncing around doing crazy flips and poo poo. I'm sure if I watched it again it'd be terrible, but I can safely say that movie is pretty good under the influence.

I saw 1408 on acid and to this day I maintain that it is the scariest movie ever

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

I saw 1408 on acid and to this day I maintain that it is the scariest movie ever

I saw Paranormal Activity 3 in a crowded theater on an eighth of shrooms and I was bored out of my mind. The PA franchise sucks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The tv show Revenge is pretty decent so far if you like watching rich people destroy each other in fun new ways, but I really don't like how they use Emily's British friend (Ashley?)

She starts the season as a party planner and by the midpoint she's addressing the media on the Grayson family's behalf outside the courtroom? That's a hell of a party planner, I guess.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

WeAreTheRomans posted:

In reality it's more like, what, 3 days? I wouldn't know :smugdog:

I think 3 days is about right. I know 4 is about my limit before I switch to kill mode.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I took it that she needed to do it before she became completely disconnected from reality or some poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Light Gun Man posted:

I watched Lucy last night. I don't have to say anything else, do I?

Its rare that I start a movie and don't finish it. I want to see the ending (usually).

With Lucy, about 15 minutes in to it I started fast-forwarding through crap, and I never stopped. It just gets worse.

What the gently caress were they thinking? :psyduck: Garbage film. Not even enjoyable as mindless action. Just too loving stupid to exist.

Light Gun Man posted:

Esroc posted:

The powers were starting to burn her body up at the atomic level. So she ingested more of the drug to unlock more powers so she could physically pull her body back together and rebuild it.

At first she was concerned that her body would burn up and kill her, but I think what we were supposed to take away from the airplane scene was the increased dose pushed her to a level where the burnup was no longer an issue but now she had the inevitable result of becoming so powerful as to remove herself from the human condition entirely. So she replaced one ticking clock with another.

Also she becomes so godlike she can blow people up with her mind, but she has to keep taking pregnancy drugs in order to hold her blood cells together or something stupid like that.

If she can just hack physics with her brain, why can't she just psychically hold her cells together? Or psychically create the pregnancy gene right inside her body? You could just turn some air into the drug or something.

Yeah whoever wrote Lucy had seen a facebook post about "you only use 20% of your brain" and heard about the Technological Singularity and thought it was really neato without understanding anything about nerochemistry or physics. And having no imagination.

Same with Transcendence though, some stupid writer heard about the technological singularity without really understanding the concept that well or having enough imagination to really run with the idea properly.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Feb 4, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Just too loving stupid to exist.

Ironically the plot has it the other way around. :v:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

The Progenitor RPG setting by Greg Stolze does this in a much more interesting and believable way. Mainly because the omnipotent character takes ~30 years to go full on psychotic, even if it's implied she starts seeing other people as lesser beings pretty early on.

Then again the setting also fills the world with thousands of other, less powerful physics defying assholes, so it may not be a great comparison.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
When a show has a cold opening to something that's going to happen ten minutes in. Just seems useless and cheesy.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The Progenitor RPG setting by Greg Stolze does this in a much more interesting and believable way. Mainly because the omnipotent character takes ~30 years to go full on psychotic, even if it's implied she starts seeing other people as lesser beings pretty early on.

Then again the setting also fills the world with thousands of other, less powerful physics defying assholes, so it may not be a great comparison.

So far, for me, Watchmen dealt with this the best way, the difference of course being that Dr. Manhattan also had the temporal disconnect, which is hard to convey but I think the comic did a very good job, and this adaptation on youtube is very well done, for those of you that haven't read the comic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stKh-TQxHLw

The movie differs a bit, but there's no major spoilers if you've seen the movie but still want to read the graphic novel.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Lucy makes perfect sense. She gets an overdose of a drug that should have killed her but instead starts turning her into Akira. The brain % usage is just a symbolic count down timer. She contacts Morgan Freeman early on while she has some measure of humanity , and he convinces her to give mankind the sum total of all knowledge before she ascends. She turns into a computer and info dumps onto a swank USB drive, and then goes poof.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

sinburger posted:

Lucy makes perfect sense. She gets an overdose of a drug that should have killed her but instead starts turning her into Akira. The brain % usage is just a symbolic count down timer. She contacts Morgan Freeman early on while she has some measure of humanity , and he convinces her to give mankind the sum total of all knowledge before she ascends. She turns into a computer and info dumps onto a swank USB drive, and then goes poof.

Riiiight, perfect sense.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sinburger posted:

Which drug were you on when you watched it

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

sinburger posted:

When you put it like that...it sounds really stupid.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Gaunab posted:

When you put it like that...it sounds really stupid.

Glad to know I've changed opinions.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Taeke posted:

So far, for me, Watchmen dealt with this the best way, the difference of course being that Dr. Manhattan also had the temporal disconnect, which is hard to convey but I think the comic did a very good job, and this adaptation on youtube is very well done, for those of you that haven't read the comic:

The movie differs a bit, but there's no major spoilers if you've seen the movie but still want to read the graphic novel.

Hahahaha, holy poo poo, I had no idea "motion comics" were so hilarious:

It's like something out of SeaLab 2021.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sinburger posted:

Glad to know I've changed opinions.

The difference is that Akira does not by any means present the power given to the titular characters as a good thing. Lucy doesn't either for the most part until it starts to become evident that she can basically change reality and then it turns into "well humanity sucks anyway". Which is dumb.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Feb 5, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CJacobs posted:

The difference of is that Akira does not by any means present the power given to the titular characters as a good thing.

That pretty much nails Lucy. It's Akira, without any of the metaphor or higher meaning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I lost my respect for Lucy as a movie at the part where she kills a dude with cancer and justifies it with "there was no way to save him anyway" and you are expected to nod and go "uh huh yes of course" because she's the protagonist, instead of being expected to go "wow maybe she's not a good guy after all" like in something like Akira.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

CJacobs posted:

The difference is that Akira does not by any means present the power given to the titular characters as a good thing. Lucy doesn't either for the most part until it starts to become evident that she can basically change reality and then it turns into "well humanity sucks anyway". Which is dumb.

I interpreted it that she had no choice in peacing out into whatever she ascends to but she still goes through the effort to leave a parting gift of knowledge for the rest of us.

One of the big plot points is that she's essentially unlatched from a linear perception of time, so it makes sense that she would stop caring about humankind since we literally disappear if she alters her position in time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

EDIT: Oops. Missed a page.

I almost want to see Lucy, and find out what all this is about.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Die Laughing posted:

Would you prefer a burning bush and stone tablets?

People keep talking about this movie, and I might end up watching it.

It's got a cool concept slathered in dumb poo poo to justify action sequences.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Taeke posted:

Derp, I've read Watchmen too and I completely agree, just didn't think about it at the time for whatever reason. That's definitely a better example. But yeah the "human becomes God but loses what makes them human" trope has been done multiple times before in multiple different ways, probably all more interesting than Lucy. It is a bad movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hahahaha, holy poo poo, I had no idea "motion comics" were so hilarious:

It's like something out of SeaLab 2021.

The budget for those was pretty small, so they just used simple puppet animation. Its not like they were hand-animated, that's way too expensive.

I personally really love the Watchmen animated comics. They're well narrated and they let you appreciate the actual art style of the original comics, as it looked.

Yeah sometimes you get people talking without mouth moving and it looks goofy. Its a good thing lots of the Watchmen wear masks :)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Die Laughing posted:

EDIT: Oops. Missed a page.

I almost want to see Lucy, and find out what all this is about.

Don't. Don't waste your time. It's even dumber than we're making it sound.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The worst part about Lucy is that nothing loving happens. It's just scene after scene of meaningless actions that do nothing to advance the plot or develop the characters or anything, occasionally punctuated by an unsatisfying two or three second action sequence. Then she turns into a bunch of CGI and the movie ends.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Triarii posted:

The worst part about Lucy is that nothing loving happens. It's just scene after scene of meaningless actions that do nothing to advance the plot or develop the characters or anything, occasionally punctuated by an unsatisfying two or three second action sequence. Then she turns into a bunch of CGI and the movie ends.

Don't forget a whole lot of people talking somehow about nothing at all for a really long time.

I went in thinking "How could a dumb action movie with Scarlet Jo be bad?"

Now I know.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
How did the four stones in the Fifth Element fit inside the Diva Plava Laguna's belly and not interfere with her diaphragm, preventing her from singing?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
She's an alien.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

She's an alien.

Yeah I have no problem accepting that personally. Who knows how alien biology works.

Everything about the Evil sun thing in Fifth Element was deus ex machina as gently caress though. It was literally the plot as an entity in the movie.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I just got done watching Ultraviolet and it lived up to this thread's hype, so my irritating moment is that the overwhelming majority of tv & films aren't that good.