Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Feindfeuer posted:

Is there a way to trigger the next 'tier' of quests, cause I have nobody that talks to me for quiet some time and have done the weapon lab and the floran party already but am stuck with the first ship upgrade.

Check to see if you still have other quests in your log. Once you're sure that you've done every quest available then the penguin bay guy should give you the diamond quest.

If that doesn't work then try exiting then re-entering the outpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nevermind, someone already did it.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/buildable-custom-shipworld-file-mod-upbeat-giraffe.2494/

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, there's been a few full customizable ship mods, but it's nice to see there's one that's been updated.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Azzents posted:

Check to see if you still have other quests in your log. Once you're sure that you've done every quest available then the penguin bay guy should give you the diamond quest.

If that doesn't work then try exiting then re-entering the outpost.

:downs: I forgot to collect coconuts, thanks. Will get right to it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Thief posted:

:420::respek::420:

Find a planet that has healing waters and you can put them in your ship for free heals!

I actually just overlapped 2 screenshots that I took while playing fullscreen. I think the view is locked to your resolution or something, but you can hold ctrl and mouse around to pan the camera iirc.

Oh okay, cool. Didn't think of healing water, I bottled all of mine. I did think of using liquid erichus though.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I made a new guy to play with the caves mod. I haven't run into gaps on the surface that I couldn't jump over, and was able to explore my way down to core fragments with minimal digging. I did fall to my death once when I wasn't paying attention and got a huge cavern (this is a plus IMO). Also had one of those mining complex/tunnel things spawn, and it was huge, which was pretty cool. Also as a plus, more caves/tunnels means more vines, so it is a lot easier to get bandage material before jungle worlds.

I'm thinking caves and glowing ores are nearly mandatory, they remove so much of the tedium of mining/spelunking.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Can't start Starbound, because of something related to HumanoidTiming. Is this because of a new update, or could this be mod related?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

These mods.... Look good...... !!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
How do I explore planets with no breathable atmosphere but dangerously high temperature? Is it possible to activate two suit techs at the same time to be protected from both?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The heat/cold/rad suits also provide o2, so just grab your heat suit and you're good to go.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

How do I explore planets with no breathable atmosphere but dangerously high temperature? Is it possible to activate two suit techs at the same time to be protected from both?

All of the nanoskins have air supply built in, just use the heat skin.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZypherIM posted:

So I made a new guy to play with the caves mod. I haven't run into gaps on the surface that I couldn't jump over, and was able to explore my way down to core fragments with minimal digging. I did fall to my death once when I wasn't paying attention and got a huge cavern (this is a plus IMO). Also had one of those mining complex/tunnel things spawn, and it was huge, which was pretty cool. Also as a plus, more caves/tunnels means more vines, so it is a lot easier to get bandage material before jungle worlds.

I'm thinking caves and glowing ores are nearly mandatory, they remove so much of the tedium of mining/spelunking.

I'm so happy people enjoy the cave mod.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If I install a mos, do I have to create a whole new universe to use it? I'd like to use that My Starbound Crew mod but o don't want to have to hunt all around to just see of it's working.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The different nano skins are just dumb once you've unlocked them all. It just serves as a waste of time if you go with the wrong one and you have to go back and switch it. They should just make 1 nano skin that is upgraded with each new tech.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bbcisdabomb posted:

If I install a mos, do I have to create a whole new universe to use it? I'd like to use that My Starbound Crew mod but o don't want to have to hunt all around to just see of it's working.

Only with certain mods, I believe the crew mod adds an NPC to the outpost, so you should be good.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bbcisdabomb posted:

No, you don't have to delete your universe folder for most mods. Even ones that change star or planet generation like Your Starbound Crew does with its addition of unstable stars. It won't affect systems close to locations you've already visited, so just punch in random coordinates and the new system generation will kick in.

Same deal with the mysterious stars mod and Vib Rib's prismatic stars mod.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Vib Rib posted:

(OMGWTFBBQ boatload of stuff chucklefish should had thought of)

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Hollow worlds looks rather interesting, assuming its not too common. Definitely running this when I get the chance.

Would all this biome trickery fix the problem normal worlds have where the same "mini-dungeon" (more like mini-shack) repeats constantly across a world at roughly the same depth?
Also how does the mix-and-match leaf system affect saplings? Do you get what that "base" tree would have been, or are saplings procedurally generated to keep the randomly picked leaf type? Or do they not drop saplings at all?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
:eyepop: Fantastic work.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

oddium posted:

These mods.... Look good...... !!

Definitely

loving "STELLAR" work, Vin Rib.

Haha a pun!!!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If anyone found my mine boss overview helpful and want me to do one for one of the other bosses, let me know. I've got a feeling we don't hear as much about the other ones because you start to have options for how you're going to deal with them, so eventually something works.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hi are guns good yet?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

ok this is what is took to get me to play again

Same, reinstalling it as we speak.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Reiley posted:

Hi are guns good yet?

not really no

Technomagic seems to suck so far too. You sit still and wait for it to charge and it takes a ton of energy and it does less than just whacking them with a sword.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Slime posted:

not really no

Dang, well see you guys later. Good thread title, though.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Reiley posted:

Hi are guns good yet?
I liked my combo of rocketlauncher and rifle. Worked quite well.
edit:but slime is probably right

But now I ascended into mod+god mode planes

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015

Reiley posted:

Hi are guns good yet?

Almost. They're so close. So close.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and some slow sniper rifles are good. Fast shooting weapons are good almost never (1 boss as an alt weapon, and clearing pots for your big guns). The magic staffs are in a similar spot, where they're really good in certain cases, but terrible for general use. The 2h weapons with parry are very nice, and 1h+shield is good too (grenade launchers are 1h!). Basically they're still doing armor as some combination of a % reduction combined with a flat reduction, so once something has armor the faster a weapon is the more it gets penalized. On the other hand, once you get a certain amount of armor fast attacks do nothing to near-nothing to you as well.

Really the flat reduction needs to go from general armor, add it onto shields, and give some enemies shields. Then they need to look at the energy costs of faster weapons, because in general the energy needed to kill with one big slow shot is a lot less than with a bunch of fast ones, even against a 0 armor target.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and some slow sniper rifles are good. Fast shooting weapons are good almost never (1 boss as an alt weapon, and clearing pots for your big guns). The magic staffs are in a similar spot, where they're really good in certain cases, but terrible for general use. The 2h weapons with parry are very nice, and 1h+shield is good too (grenade launchers are 1h!). Basically they're still doing armor as some combination of a % reduction combined with a flat reduction, so once something has armor the faster a weapon is the more it gets penalized. On the other hand, once you get a certain amount of armor fast attacks do nothing to near-nothing to you as well.

Really the flat reduction needs to go from general armor, add it onto shields, and give some enemies shields. Then they need to look at the energy costs of faster weapons, because in general the energy needed to kill with one big slow shot is a lot less than with a bunch of fast ones, even against a 0 armor target.

Yeah it works both ways. In high tier armor if you come across NPCs with high fire rate weapons (uzi type smgs, avian blasters, etc) you can stand there as they spray you down and do 0 damage to you, kind of unbalances NPC fights a little bit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Take the current energy-per-damage scaling and half it.

Guns feel alot better. It isnt 100% fixed, but it helps a ton. Fast-shooters are still garbage though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I have a pair of plasma machine pistols that were godlike when I found them, but now, one tier later, they're mediocre. Meanwhile, the rocket launcher I found in the same tier still obliterates everything in two shots.

Moral: blow everything up. Just blow up the god drat world.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Then hoover everything into your constantly expanding storage until you can basically construct a planet of your own.*

*Merely a dream

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo, did they seriously make picks break so fast? I haven't played this game for a year and in the last hour I got enough for the rest of 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pochoclo posted:

Holy poo poo, did they seriously make picks break so fast? I haven't played this game for a year and in the last hour I got enough for the rest of 2015

Yeah, picks are pretty useless now. The good news is you can upgrade your matter manipulator at the SAIL terminal and by the final upgrade it's better than any pick.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Does anyone have the More Caves mod they can put on something that's not the Starbound forums? I'd like to play this game without trying to remember my account name and password to a website I haven't been to (nor plan on returning to) in a year or so.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Does anyone have the More Caves mod they can put on something that's not the Starbound forums? I'd like to play this game without trying to remember my account name and password to a website I haven't been to (nor plan on returning to) in a year or so.

Someone else should spend a bunch of time to help me because I'm certainly not going to!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

KoB posted:

Someone else should spend a bunch of time to help me because I'm certainly not going to!

See, this is why I spend more time making fun of you chucklefucks instead of playing this game. :jerkbag:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You could also get a piece of paper and write it down so the goon who made it gets one more download for the awesome mod he did.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Michaellaneous posted:

You could also get a piece of paper and write it down so the goon who made it gets one more download for the awesome mod he did.

You're a real funny guy.

I was only asking so I didn't have to mingle with the shitlords of the Starbound community but looks like it's here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

See, this is why I spend more time making fun of you chucklefucks instead of playing this game. :jerkbag:

Because youre too dumb to remember a password :confused:

Retrieving a lost password is possibly one of the easiest things on the planet. God drat.

• Locked thread