Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012

William Bear posted:

No way. You're suggesting that:

Show Bronn=Book Arys Oakheart

and

Show Sand Snake(?)=Book Arianne Martell

There's no way that would work. Bronn would have sex with her once and wave her off saying, "Good luck with your coup!"

I thought I read somewhere that Tyene seduces (or tries to seduce) Bronn this season? IT FITS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I'm struggling to think of a more egregious character change than making Bronn, the least likely man to ever fall victim to a seduction scheme, fall for one

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm betting that the agitators make a move on Jaime without Doran's permission and that's the root of the fight scene with Bronn. I'd also bet the whole crowning Myrcella thing got dropped.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If anyone is having sex in Dorne, I'd think it would be Ellaria and Jaime. That would be good for Jaime.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Given what they showed about Craster's son, I wonder whether it's possible to turn an adult into an Other as well?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bronn dying would make me cry. His trolling of cersei is the greatest thing in the history of the 7 kingdoms.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

whatever7 posted:

A lot of Dany's prophecy don't make sense to me, she has to keep going east ward to get to Westeros? How? Dany is going to circumnavigate the Middle Earth?

I doubt it's that literal. I see it as Quaithe saying that Daenerys will need to go to certain places to acquire the things she needs to become Queen, fight the Others, or at least reach Westeros. For instance, she says Daenerys needs to pass through shadow to reach "the light", which Daenerys takes as she needs to travel to Asshai. Quaithe responds to that that Asshai has "truth", so in this case knowledge is I guess what Dany could ge there. I could elaborate further but I don't remember much about the Essos map off the top of my head.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 4, 2015

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Beeez posted:

I doubt it's that literal. I see it as Quaithe saying that Daenerys will need to go to certain places to acquire the things she needs to become Queen, fight the Others, or at least reach Westeros. For instance, she says Daenerys needs to pass through shadow to reach "the light", which Daenerys takes as she needs to travel to Asshai. Quaithe responds to that that Asshai has "truth", so in this case knowledge is I guess what Dany could ge there. I could elaborate further but I don't remember much about the Essos map off the top of my head.

I think it's even less literal than that, to be honest. To me it's just a way of saying she'll have to take unexpected directions (both literal and metaphorical) to reach her destination. Mainly because it's so much less specific than her later prophesy about "kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, sun's son and mummer's dragon" etc - I don't think it's meant to be taken literally at all.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I prefer to think Dany fulfils Quaithe's prophecy in her final ADWD chapter.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

rydiafan posted:

No. It just confirms The High Sparrow is an important character.

He's only in a few pages in the book, pretty minor character to get such a big-name actor. HR=HS is looking MUCH more likely now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The High Sparrow is not a more minor character than Howland Reed.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

He's only in a few pages in the book, pretty minor character to get such a big-name actor. HR=HS is looking MUCH more likely now.

Alternately, he's just important in later chapters?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Lycus posted:

The High Sparrow is not a more minor character than Howland Reed.

The High Septonis non-notable enough that I forgot Cersei had one killed until it came up in her trial. The new one does seem to be more active, but even if he just what he says he is I can't see him getting involved in too many character's plots.

Howland Reed is a much-storied close friend of Ned Stark and the only other survivor of the Tower of Joy, he is talked about in every book and two characters who are much more important than the High Sparrow are his children. He was pivotal at the Harrenhall Tournament and contributed in part to Robert's Rebellion. Even though we haven't met him yet (or have we) he is a pretty major character.

ETA: Said Sparrow when I meant Septon once.

ClearAirTurbulence fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 4, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012

webmeister posted:

I think it's even less literal than that, to be honest. To me it's just a way of saying she'll have to take unexpected directions (both literal and metaphorical) to reach her destination. Mainly because it's so much less specific than her later prophesy about "kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, sun's son and mummer's dragon" etc - I don't think it's meant to be taken literally at all.

But doesn't Quaithe sort of affirm to Daenerys that she's supposed to go to Asshai when she asks what is in Asshai and Quaithe replies "truth" rather than saying "Oh, my bad, I didn't mean Asshai, I was being mysterious" or something?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Well, Quaithe is the personification of Dany's inherited prophetic ability - manifested in the form of a real shadowbinder she once met in Qarth - that she hallucinates as a result of her burgeoning madness.

Either that or she's actually Dany from the future come back to mess with her past self.

Glass candles are dumb.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

webmeister posted:

I think Dani will lost her whole slave army in the current city (whatever the gently caress the name is I don't care.)

That's only way to make her return to Westeros in the last book interesting. This is literally the video game "lost all your armor" plot twist.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I hope Dany really does come down with some form of ocean madness.

Anything else just seems lame.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

What I love is that the guy in the history has a last name which would essentially mean "son of greatjon"

Well, big ulf but you know.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

He's there quite a bit, if not mentioned by other characters in other scenes. He meets with Cersei several times. Notably, to have the faith's loans to the crown waived in exchange for reviving the Faith Militant, which opens up a massive can of worms and proves that Cersei is a short-sighted moron. Which of course leads to him becoming powerful enough to tell Cersei off, then throw her in jail after her ill-conceived plot to take down Margaery. Doran Martell later sends Tyene to join the Faith in King's Landing and learn more about the High Sparrow, since he "is not the puppet his predecessors were."

Not a major character, but not a small one either. He wouldn't be the first "minor" character with limited screen-time to end up doing things that have major consequences to the plot (see Walder Frey). I suspect the Faith Militant/High Sparrow stuff will get extra screen time thanks to Price's casting, but it was always going to be a major plot point when the series did the AFFC/ADWD stuff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's also possible the High Sparrow is someone important going forward from ADWD, and that's why they cast a major actor for it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

They got Ciaran Hinds to play a role that we actually know and not just suspect is extremely important and then did absolutely nothing with him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That seems to be the most likely interpretation, especially since the battle of Mereen would almost certainly end like Blackwater with her coming to save the day.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, what? Theon killing his own son is new to me.

Theon was potentially boning the Miller's wife around the time she conceived her younger son. There is the possibility that the kid is Theon's bastard, and Theon gave Reek permission to kill the kids without bothering to consider that maybe the kid could have been his. There is a good argument to be made that Theon is aware of the possibility that he is a legitimate kinslayer. It is also unlikely IMO that if the gods do punish kinslaying it is going to be some sort of Maury style "you are/are not the father" situation. Whether it adds anything to the character is a matter of opinion.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Haha, Waterstones just tweeted the original story outline for the whole series. Enjoy it while you can before the fucker gets them to take it down.

https://twitter.com/Waterstones/status/562985847390470145

EDIT: But someone has already saved the photos, they'll never really be off the internet now.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 4, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wow, he claims that the Dothraki invasion would be the focus of his second novel, A Dance With Dragons. That didn't last long.

e: also Tyrion was originally supposed to be the one who burned Winterfell, and Jon was supposed to succeed Benjen as Lord Commander, and eventually Tyrion and Jon would be in a love triangle over Arya. Gross.

e2: not spoilering that part as I sincerely doubt it will happen at this point because :barf:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Haha, Waterstones just tweeted the original story outline for the whole series. Enjoy it while you can before the fucker gets them to take it down.

https://twitter.com/Waterstones/status/562985847390470145

EDIT: But someone has already saved the photos, they'll never really be off the internet now.

Some pretty interesting stuff in there. But the most interesting bit is how the story has changed over the years, sometimes drastically. Then again, it has been 22 years...

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Lots of differences between this and the finished version, so we don't know how much this spoils. Jaime sounds especially different, and apparently Tyrion was originally going to be the one who burns Winterfell.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

enraged_camel posted:

Some pretty interesting stuff in there. But the most interesting bit is how the story has changed over the years, sometimes drastically. Then again, it has been 22 years...

My favorite part is Arya falling in love with Jon. WTF Grumm

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

You know it's legit because it contains Arya/Jon incest.

^you son of a bitch

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

whatever7 posted:

A lot of Dany's prophecy don't make sense to me, she has to keep going east ward to get to Westeros? How? Dany is going to circumnavigate the Middle Earth?

A theme in the books are that prophecys are largely bullshit and that you can read whatever you want into them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

My favorite part is Arya falling in love with Jon. WTF Grumm

That's not all though. Tyrion falls in love with her too, which leads to a rivalry between him and Jon. Oh my!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Couldn't help but laugh at everybody falling in love with Arya. I forgot if he specified the ages but I really hope she wasn't a little kid back then.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 4, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

'If I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it'.

Welp.

kontona
May 3, 2003

is there an unredacted version?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Alhazred posted:

A theme in the books are that prophecys are largely bullshit and that you can read whatever you want into them.

Uh no it doesn't. The theme of the books is that prophecies are not only largely real but are also not generally self fulfilling despite the often used donkey kicking quote.

Dany seeing Red Wedding, High Heart telling of it, the Purple Wedding, the death of Renly, the death of Balon, resurrection of Cat, none of those could be in any way self fulfilling.

kontona posted:

is there an unredacted version?

We need to get that FBI guy from Red Dragon on the phone to go over it

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 4, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Reminds me of how loving awful Breaking Bad was going to be originally. Thank god GRRM changed it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is there more than that one twitter pic?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

If you scroll through there should be three...

Anyways yeah it's crazy how much he changed to even the first book between that letter and the release about 2 1/2 years later. Makes it all the more frustrating that he seems to be getting so hung up on plot details nowadays. Although yeah,

Steve2911 posted:

'If I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it'.
is pretty ominous in hindsight.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

There's three pictures.

E: gah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

If you scroll through there should be three...

Ah ok could only get the first pic on the ipad for some reason.

• Locked thread