Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gammatron 64 posted:

I thought about joining the reddit shell, but then I looked at their subreddit and went noooope

It's...okay. The members are nice, and only one person on it so far has been a dweeb, flipping out about "spoilers." Still, I am definitely down for a goon shell. Lemme see if I can log in in a sec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Shinjobi posted:

It's...okay. The members are nice, and only one person on it so far has been a dweeb, flipping out about "spoilers." Still, I am definitely down for a goon shell. Lemme see if I can log in in a sec.

Well I mean I haven't resubbed or anything yet, probably won't for a while. Would be cool to finish up the WoTG missions which I never did. I'll ask a friend of mine if he wants to do it again.

We resubbed, did dyna farming for a day then we were like meh and forgot about the game

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mfny posted:

Decided to reinstall and see what's new however I have hit the brick wall that is the POL patcher. Anyone know of a up to date mirror for patch files ?

Got this sorted. Are most goons moving to Asura ?

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
The few of us who are still on Quetz are either heavily considering it or waiting to find out where Ark went off to.

arkma
May 30, 2001
I'm on Asura now as Brobert.

arkma fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 31, 2015

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
There's a rule for the non-Goon LS, for those of you in it/hoping to be in it: If you are pearled for that LS, it must always be set as your #1 LS. This doesn't prevent you from using SAGoons. It just means you'll have to set SAGoons as your #2 LS (since the dual LS system is now up and running).

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I am dumb and resubbed the wrong account of the two I have :derp:

The wrong one being the one without my newbie character, and the Seekers bonus Items and Seekers expansion on it from last time I played. So I ether pay up the £8 again to resub the right account, or pay for the expansion again..

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
The expansion is $30.00 on it's own unless there is a special running so you're probably better off with paying the cheaper option. Unless you want to multibox.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The local game store has a PS2 HDD with FFXI for $25 and I've considered getting that just for shits and giggles, but of course I realize it's going to be drat near impossible to get all the expansions for it.

In fact, I'm not quite sure what happens when you have all the expansions and log into a machine that doesn't have them installed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gammatron 64 posted:

The local game store has a PS2 HDD with FFXI for $25 and I've considered getting that just for shits and giggles, but of course I realize it's going to be drat near impossible to get all the expansions for it.

In fact, I'm not quite sure what happens when you have all the expansions and log into a machine that doesn't have them installed.

It is impossible for you to get SoA for the PS2, as well. No Adoulin for you, mister.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

It is impossible for you to get SoA for the PS2, as well. No Adoulin for you, mister.

Yeah, granted I have SoA for PC and 360, and FFXI is absolutely the worst on PS2 but the HDD is $25 and well I wouldn't need PS2 memory cards anymore.

Also I'm curious as to what happens. I wonder if I can log in but just not go to expansion areas, or if I can't log in at all.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, granted I have SoA for PC and 360, and FFXI is absolutely the worst on PS2 but the HDD is $25 and well I wouldn't need PS2 memory cards anymore.

Also I'm curious as to what happens. I wonder if I can log in but just not go to expansion areas, or if I can't log in at all.

You just can't enter the expansion areas. Your account will work fine.

I don't recall being able to use the HD as a memory card either. I think you could backup your cards to it, but still needed a memory card for games that can't see the HD (most).
BUT I could be wrong, I haven't used it in a decade. Just check into it first if that's a reason you may buy it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Heh, my endgame shell is planning to jump servers... guess which one i'll be on by this weekend!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

As soon as everyone jumps servers, how much do you want to bet they'll announce a merge :v:

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Yessss. More goons. All the goons. :getin:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Asura is the cream of the crop, risin' to da top. Macho Man, baby.

Also holy poo poo the Altepa Gate sucks rear end even with the new KI.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

You can still play, just can't enter those areas. If your character is in a SoA area, the game will boot you out.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Time to resub, we're def. doing asura? Who has sacks?

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Time to resub, we're def. doing asura? Who has sacks?

Def. Asura. Sacks at the moment are Profiterole, Joobacca, and Hackenbush. I'll sack some more when I get a chance. (It's a process now -- both the sackor and the sackee have to have the LS set as #1. Otherwise everybody would have one.)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

RazeChildren posted:

Def. Asura. Sacks at the moment are Profiterole, Joobacca, and Hackenbush. I'll sack some more when I get a chance. (It's a process now -- both the sackor and the sackee have to have the LS set as #1. Otherwise everybody would have one.)

We should get cubswoo Frod to edit the OP and map quetz name to asura name, and list sack holders, remove references to quetz.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
Finally moved to Asura. I'm going by Kadian on there instead of Cadian.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
Hmm coming to Asura eh, I might reactivate then. Is everything except lolWKR still lowman? I miss camping HNMs for 3 hours and shittalking to eachother... /nostalgia

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Astaldo posted:

Hmm coming to Asura eh, I might reactivate then. Is everything except lolWKR still lowman? I miss camping HNMs for 3 hours and shittalking to eachother... /nostalgia

You can even lowman lolWKR as long as you don't have a bunch of morons feeding it TP (even then, many of them can be lowman'd). There won't be any 3 hour camps for you, but we can shittalk all the same.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

All the same NMs are there, some of them even have gear that's still relevant , but you're probably not gonna have to camp them for hours as there's not all that much competition for them. Also you'll probably be able to kick their poo poo in by yourself unless there's some sort of crazy gimmick.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Astaldo posted:

There is zero content that cannot be completed with 6 or fewer people. Only exceptions are the fringe cases of doing very difficult apoc nigh or a very high tier incursion.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Anyone want to take bets on how many tabs you can have open in Firefox before it crashes or eats up 8GB of ram? I'm up to 60ish. And each one is vital to keeping me from forgetting what I need to do and how to do it.

Speaking of which, is anyone available to help in getting a testimony? The mobs are easy enough but they're usually surrounded by a swarm of other mobs.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
I can help farm tests. Which one you need? You also don't need tests for anything but your very first job anymore so there is that too.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

What can we use to cheese up skills now that spellcast is dead?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What happened to Spellcast :stare:

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

You use gearswap now. Don't worry about having to learn a whole new system, there are a bunch of templates out there and either FFXIAH or bluegartr has a thread on making custom lua's.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Farm roe, spend points on the books.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I'd actually advise against using RoE on skillup books. Skilling is super easy for everything but defensive combat skills now. Offensive combat skills go really fast with skillup armor, skillup trusts and skillup food if you beat on the right mobs for different skill ranges. Offensive magic can be cast on inanimate objects in Reives for really fast gains. Healing, enhancing and songs can be cast on trusts and left on a loop overnight with a simple txt file. I'd suggest saving your RoE for sparks armor and the upper-tier Rem's tales.

e: if you have money to burn, I'm pretty sure you can also buy skillup books from other players who used their own RoE.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
You just use windower and write your own txt file for a spell loop. It's not hard.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Nice to see goons on Asura, I play there too, under Hauke. Think I was in a group with you yesterday Joobacca. I'll join in on the fun as well if I can. Finally getting around to finishing gearing out Scholar and White Mage for sweet sweet delving.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
Just yell at one of us in game, we'll get a pearl for the GoonShell to you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I picked this up on the Steam sale...anything I need to know before jumping in?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Only that jumping in is actually a slow, agonizing crawl through outdated and partially-defunct PlayOnline features. This game's final boss is installation and account creation.

Also, we're on Asura now if you want to play with goons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Soup posted:

Only that jumping in is actually a slow, agonizing crawl through outdated and partially-defunct PlayOnline features. This game's final boss is installation and account creation.

Playing with goons is good. So I take it the OPs information is outdated as all hell now?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

A newer OP should be forthcoming. There is a lot of new game information, but we can probably explain it all to you in-game once you get a link pearl for our chat channel. We're only on Asura as of last week though, we just did a full transfer because Asura has a much higher NA population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Soup posted:

God you were not kidding about the slow agonizing crawl thing. Apparantly I have an old PlayOnline Account, which is linked to a SquareEnix account, which I am locked out of, they claim to have sent an email with how to unlock it...but it never arrived, and I can't even figure out how to just create a new account.