Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McSpanky posted:

Superman could solve all of Batman's problems the same way the US Army could solve all of New York's problems. The first year of Injustice is pretty much about this, Peace on Earth is another one, so's Kingdom Come, Red Son, etc.

I guess I can't really blame people for having this perspective since there's a lot of bland/lovely regular Supes comics out there, but at the same time there's people who go "why doesn't Superman just go clean up Gotham in ten seconds?" not because they're probing the verisimilitude of the setting but just because Superman's such a lame cheesy boyscout maaaan.

All I'm saying is this:

Plus X-ray vision plus super hearing plus a super-IQ kind of makes Batman's detective work and rogues meaningless.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXA_iokPc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
What Lurdiak said, and also on the flip side, people writing Batman as some ungodly intelligent super-badass who has a contingency for everything so that he can stand toe-to-toe with threats that would challenge any other member of the Justice League also tends to make the other members of the Justice League look like chumps and idiots. Just overall, Batman (and other street level heroes) and Superman (and others close to his level like Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, etc.) don't mix well, and cheapen each others' stories when they're forced into them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm glad Lurdiak posted that particular sequence because he uncovered the true endgame of DC's power creep: the Flash and flashalikes aren't as fast as Superman, they're orders of magnitude faster and can brute force Speed Force their way through any problem before you're done realizing there is a problem.

The real question you should be asking is "why doesn't the Flash solve all of Superman's problems ten attoseconds ago?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well that was sort of the endgame for Flash in Kingdom Come (although not on a global scale):

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

All I'm saying is this:

Plus X-ray vision plus super hearing plus a super-IQ kind of makes Batman's detective work and rogues meaningless.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXA_iokPc

why doesn't batman just kill the joker

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ashcans posted:

a guardian angel who rights even the most harmless of wrongs with lightning speed

I like to imagine that if you lived in Keystone City at the time you'd be reaching for your remote control because you're too lazy to get up off the couch and bam it's in your hand, you're trying to get the jam jar open but it's stuck and suddenly bam it's open, etc.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

I like to imagine that if you lived in Keystone City at the time you'd be reaching for your remote control because you're too lazy to get up off the couch and bam it's in your hand, you're trying to get the jam jar open but it's stuck and suddenly bam it's open, etc.

I'd hate to imagine what would happen to any teenagers who decide to have unprotected sex.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

dordreff posted:

why doesn't batman just kill the joker

Because you see...

oh wait I see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KsfiqAdSW0&t=24s

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Phylodox posted:

I'd hate to imagine what would happen to any teenagers who decide to have unprotected sex.

Bam condom on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superman can't solve all of Batman's problems because he's busy dealing with things that actually require a Superman to solve. He can't actually be everywhere at once, and street crime is not something he's going to be dealing with often.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

Bam condom on

Keystone City must do a brisk trade in extremely lubricated condoms.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Superman can't solve all of Batman's problems because he's busy dealing with things that actually require a Superman to solve. He can't actually be everywhere at once, and street crime is not something he's going to be dealing with often.

I seem to remember that being used as an excuse to why Superman didn't do poo poo during No Man's Land. He said something like while Batman was helping Gotham survive/rebuild he was protecting Gotham from outside forces that wanted to destroy it. In a way it goes back to his philosophy about not being there to save mankind, but being there to help mankind when it needs help.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Madkal posted:

I seem to remember that being used as an excuse to why Superman didn't do poo poo during No Man's Land. He said something like while Batman was helping Gotham survive/rebuild he was protecting Gotham from outside forces that wanted to destroy it. In a way it goes back to his philosophy about not being there to save mankind, but being there to help mankind when it needs help.

In my mind Alan Scott was quietly but diligently fulfilling this role whenever some horrible world-threatening event was mysteriously not targeting Gotham, by gentleman's agreement with Bruce.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Madkal posted:

He turned up in one issue and tried to help by rebuilding a generator but just created an extra gang leader and made everything worse. so Batman told him to get out. Now if he had instead just punched everyone really hard, that would have fixed everything.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

In Kevin Smith's Green Arrow there is one point where Ollie is in huge trouble and Connor (I think?) is dying. He just started screaming that he knows Superman can hear him somewhere and needs to come help, and he does.

I thought the scene rocked when I first read it cause poo poo, it makes sense in a universe with a Superman. But then it also cheapens any other dramatic moments in Ollie's life cause cause why didn't he just yell for help if he's really screwed? And what about everyone else in the world screaming for help all the time? Kinda highlights the whole problem with trying to tell dramatic stories when there's an arrow man who is buddies with gods.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Chinaman7000 posted:

In Kevin Smith's Green Arrow there is one point where Ollie is in huge trouble and Connor (I think?) is dying. He just started screaming that he knows Superman can hear him somewhere and needs to come help, and he does.

I thought the scene rocked when I first read it cause poo poo, it makes sense in a universe with a Superman. But then it also cheapens any other dramatic moments in Ollie's life cause cause why didn't he just yell for help if he's really screwed? And what about everyone else in the world screaming for help all the time? Kinda highlights the whole problem with trying to tell dramatic stories when there's an arrow man who is buddies with gods.

I still like the scene:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Oops, ok not Kevin Smith. Still think it's a very cool scene but by that logic Clark should be more like the Samaritan from Astro City, which was probably the most believable and sad version of a benevolent Superman I've read.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bobkatt013 posted:

Hawkeye 21

Immediately after goddamn destroying me, of course.

Fraction, you magnificent bastard.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

Oops, ok not Kevin Smith. Still think it's a very cool scene but by that logic Clark should be more like the Samaritan from Astro City, which was probably the most believable and sad version of a benevolent Superman I've read.
I always figured that Supes didn't constantly try to help everyone because he didn't want to end up like Samaritan did with absolutely no life of his own outside the costume.

Like with that scene; the reason he's helping isn't just because someone's calling for help, it's because it's Ollie, who never asks for help and is clearly desperate and panicked.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Chinaman7000 posted:

Hey, you know what? I think I'll post that.

From the original Astro City #1 (available free on Comixology and probably other digital platforms).

Also he is staring enviously at that pigeon, because a pigeon can just fly and it doesn't have to save anyone.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 5, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

And like Superman, he can't even go home, but instead of it being some sort of hubris-driven catastrophe, it was his own benevolence that "destroyed" his home. He came from the future, and his preventing an event in the past changed that future. Samaritan is a really good tragically heroic character despite having being a Superman archetype and having been fleshed out in only one issue, but it was a hell of a way to start a series.

Gonna reread Astro City now.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Dammerung posted:

I still like the scene:

From that distance, though, it would've taken like 4-6 hours for the sound to travel from the Southeast Asian Sea to the east coast of the US. Even if they hadn't moved an inch from that spot in that time and Superman found them immediately, Connor still would have bled out.

Also Santa Claus isn't real, Darth Vader is Luke's father and your puppy is dead, not playing on a happy farm like your parents told you.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

Blackwatch also said a superhero 'attacked' him and he fought back, so they were cheating a little there.

And Commander Power says he was "battling the Bombadier, and he was trying to destroy the-"

So, yeah: a cheat or two

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Duke Igthorn posted:

And Commander Power says he was "battling the Bombadier, and he was trying to destroy the-"

So, yeah: a cheat or two

Death ray I built. Not as bad a cheat, really.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superheroes get into fights all the time and the Bombadier could've been a hero trying to destroy Power's lair or big weapon or something. :colbert:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

McSpanky posted:

Superheroes get into fights all the time and the Bombadier could've been a hero trying to destroy Power's lair or big weapon or something. :colbert:

Or the newspaper could have been a tabloid style newspaper devoted to covering the Truth. Wake up Sheeple!
:tinfoil:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I always figured that Supes didn't constantly try to help everyone because he didn't want to end up like Samaritan did with absolutely no life of his own outside the costume.

Yeah, there's a great clip from Superman The Animated Series that shows that. It's from an episode when a crooked detective bombs Clark Kent's car (with Superman in it). There's a witness nearby so he can't just fly out and be fine so he has to sneak away and let everyone think he's dead. Then he goes to visit his parents for advice and Pa Kent actually does suggest he go Superman full time, but Superman says it'd drive him nuts if he tried.

e: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnox0ejA0bo&t=38s

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Glazius posted:

Hey, you know what? I think I'll post that.

From the original Astro City #1 (available free on Comixology and probably other digital platforms).

Also he is staring enviously at that pigeon, because a pigeon can just fly and it doesn't have to save anyone.

And that's why his chest emblem is a stylized pigeon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KittenofDoom posted:

From that distance, though, it would've taken like 4-6 hours for the sound to travel from the Southeast Asian Sea to the east coast of the US. Even if they hadn't moved an inch from that spot in that time and Superman found them immediately, Connor still would have bled out.

Also Santa Claus isn't real, Darth Vader is Luke's father and your puppy is dead, not playing on a happy farm like your parents told you.

That's not how Superman's hearing powers work. His hearing is accelerated.

Yeah, figure that out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, figure that out.

I hear at the speed of light and see at the speed of sound!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

I hear at the speed of light and see at the speed of sound!

At a convention years ago someone at a panel asked Mark Waid about the science behind Superman's hearing powers and brought up things like the above example and Waid said "he has accelerated hearing" and that was it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, figure that out.
He has X-ray ears! :v:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FilthyImp posted:

He has X-ray ears! :v:

Nah, that can't be it. I've seen him hear through lead.

...I know what I wanted that sentence to say, and typing it out it still sounds stupid.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Nah, that can't be it. I've seen him hear through lead.

...I know what I wanted that sentence to say, and typing it out it still sounds stupid.

To be fair there is no way it wouldn't have sounded stupid. You did your best with the subject material.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, figure that out.

I remember seeing something in some comic about Superman actually having a telepathic sensitivity to everything going on that he perceives as "hearing" something happening. It's why he picks up on people screaming specifically for his help, places where he's needed even when nobody is screaming, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

I remember seeing something in some comic about Superman actually having a telepathic sensitivity to everything going on that he perceives as "hearing" something happening. It's why he picks up on people screaming specifically for his help, places where he's needed even when nobody is screaming, etc.

That's right up there with tactile telekinesis.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

That's right up there with tactile telekinesis.

Quiet Jimmy, my Hearikinesis is picking up something!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Rhyno posted:

At a convention years ago someone at a panel asked Mark Waid about the science behind Superman's hearing powers and brought up things like the above example and Waid said "he has accelerated hearing" and that was it.

I'm reminded of the scene from Waid's Irredeemable, where young Plutonian is sitting in school, and his super-hearing picks up the sound of his foster mother about to commit suicide three miles away. And he rushes out at super-speed, faster than a speeding bullet...

and discovers that even though he moves faster than a bullet does, the sound had to travel three miles before he could hear it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'm reminded of the scene from Waid's Irredeemable, where young Plutonian is sitting in school, and his super-hearing picks up the sound of his foster mother about to commit suicide three miles away. And he rushes out at super-speed, faster than a speeding bullet...

and discovers that even though he moves faster than a bullet does, the sound had to travel three miles before he could hear it.

Jeez, that's depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It ain't a feel-good comic.