Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Dogcow posted:

A question for UI people: is the hybrid UI designer/developer really a thing?

It's hard to tell from job descriptions, I've seen a few that mention a sort of overlap but for the most part it's some variation on UI/UX 'Artist' and 'UI Engineer'. I know job titles often mean nothing so it's probably totally different in practice from studio to studio. A dude I used to work with in web development has been a 'UI Artist' at Raven for 5+ years now and though he had a little motion design work he was hired primarily due to Flash experience, I know because I worked on several large Flash projects with him back in '08-09.

Yeah, this is theoretically a real position if you are very skilled at both. Though as Jan pointed out, probably just in smaller studios where people wear multiple hats.

I'm a generalist artist who's been lately focusing on UI design; the engineers on the team jokingly suggested they should teach me how to code... I'd totally be up for it (as I have some experience in HTML/CSS, XML implementation and am fairy tech savvy), but I think the reality is that I wouldn't be as fast as a true engineer in implementing my stuff. Not for a while, at least. It'd come down to the speed/efficiency thing at the end of the day. I might be more confident if I was still working with Unity, where I was implementing most of my stuff anyways, with very limited functionality that ultimately needed some engineering time. I'm now working with a proprietary engine that I know basically gently caress all about, so..

It is something I'm interested in, but I accept that I probably will not be able to code to the level of someone who's been doing it for much longer than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If you're a hybrid UI implementation / design person, there may be jobs where you are implementing in Lua or Flash, but your implementation is going to live in a layer disconnected from the game code and will require programmer support typically.

Much like web development, it has been my experience that the person driving the look and feel is separate from the person who is designing the back end.

At Volition we had a programmer exposing things to artists who would script in our custom language. At RAD we had an artist making pictures and a scripter tying them into the game. The scripter would rely on gameplay to expose UI variables to him (or sometimes do it himself as he was capable).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

theflyingorc posted:

This is a good point, and why I find highlighting Bayonetta as this incredibly complex system is weird - as I recall (I haven't played it in a few years) Bayonetta was a number of easily spammable short combos that allowed you to just straight up win. I seriously don't recall the complexity, which seems to indicate that you could route around whatever complexity was there if you wanted to.
Witch Time is a simple system that adds a tremendous amount of depth to the whole thing, given how it lets you interact with particles, attacks, pretty much everything. Add on there combo choice and a few other mechanics, and it's one of the only action games that can match the likes of Devil May Cry.

... and I know people like to mention God of War here too, but dammit, it isn't as good :mad: It's got a lot to it, and it was good for the time, but DMC / Bayonetta kick its butt.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

KingKapalone posted:

I've been looking at the West Coast because that's where they all seem to be. I would guess that you're at Take-Two? I'm in the Midwest.

I am not at Take-Two. But if you are at Kellog or a similar MBA feel free to PM me and I can give you more information.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shalinor posted:

Witch Time is a simple system that adds a tremendous amount of depth to the whole thing, given how it lets you interact with particles, attacks, pretty much everything. Add on there combo choice and a few other mechanics, and it's one of the only action games that can match the likes of Devil May Cry.

... and I know people like to mention God of War here too, but dammit, it isn't as good :mad: It's got a lot to it, and it was good for the time, but DMC / Bayonetta kick its butt.

Maybe I'm just not remembering it. I'll have to give it another go, but I'm still skeptical about it one-upping the sheer glee I get from the Batman titles combat.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Counterpoint: DMC and Bayonetta are niche games and their combat system is designed around players who want a very specific experience. Batman, Shadows of Mordor and Assassins Creed have simpler combat systems that are much more accessible and are also much more popular games. (That isn't the only reason, but it's an important one.)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

What are good resources for tracking all the parties and other stuff going on during GDC week? Also any suggestions for things to do over a weekend in SF if I've never been there before?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
It's my two year anniversary at CDP, where has the time gone? (into a video game)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

What are good resources for tracking all the parties and other stuff going on during GDC week? Also any suggestions for things to do over a weekend in SF if I've never been there before?

Look for a facebook group called "the fellowship of GDC parties"

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe I'm just not remembering it. I'll have to give it another go, but I'm still skeptical about it one-upping the sheer glee I get from the Batman titles combat.

Batman's success is in having a really simple combat system that has tons of beautiful contextual animations on top of it while providing the player with a great flow inside of a multi-person battle. Batman's system is super elegant and approachable, but not particularly deep or complex from a system level. At the basest of principles One Finger Death Punch has a fairly analogous system.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Brackhar posted:

Batman's success is in having a really simple combat system that has tons of beautiful contextual animations on top of it while providing the player with a great flow inside of a multi-person battle. Batman's system is super elegant and approachable, but not particularly deep or complex from a system level. At the basest of principles One Finger Death Punch has a fairly analogous system.

Yeah, part of it is that I find almost all complex combat systems (outside of fighting games), usually have a best case solution to combat - a handful of tools that work in almost all situations, and more complex combos that I primarily end up doing not because they provide a new form of utility, but rather that I just want to see something different happen on screen. I've rarely been impressed with real depth in single-player-game combat.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Brackhar posted:

This is also why trying to replicate it as an indie is dangerous. Something like DMC or bayonetta gets by on system depth, but Batman? That's only fun if you have that super rich, complicated animation suite.

It's a big enough cost sink that it'd have to be your one and only "thing."

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
What's the best way to put mod work on your resume? How do you convey the work that went into it and the skills you've learned to a recruiter who's probably never done any modding themselves (I'm looking for any programming internship I can get, games or software, and this is really the only project I've done)?

Forti
May 5, 2009

Shalinor posted:

it's one of the only action games that can match the likes of Devil May Cry.

Same designer, which helps :v:

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Sam. posted:

What's the best way to put mod work on your resume? How do you convey the work that went into it and the skills you've learned to a recruiter who's probably never done any modding themselves (I'm looking for any programming internship I can get, games or software, and this is really the only project I've done)?

I had a section called "Projects" when handing out my no-games-experience resume, which listed stuff I did on my own time along with bullet points of specific things I've accomplished.

Not much else I can say really, other than put that poo poo in.

EDIT: Any video game recruiter/HR person worth their salt would know what mod work is; in case they don't or if they're a general software recruiter, that's what the bullet points are partly for.

ShinAli fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 5, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

This is also why trying to replicate it as an indie is dangerous. Something like DMC or bayonetta gets by on system depth, but Batman? That's only fun if you have that super rich, complicated animation suite.

It's a big enough cost sink that it'd have to be your one and only "thing."

Your argument here is that Bayonetta/DMC are feasible as indie designs because they have deep and complex systems with lots of moves, but Batman is not feasible because it is a simple system with lots of animations? And that the fun of batman is coming from the animations?

I have to respectfully disagree and I think you're making some gross assumptions about these because neither can exist in a vacuum and both rely on context. To say batmans combat system only works because of the animations an can't be fun otherwise because it is too simple would invalidate a lot of other games combat systems that are proven successes.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Your argument here is that Bayonetta/DMC are feasible as indie designs because they have deep and complex systems with lots of moves, but Batman is not feasible because it is a simple system with lots of animations? And that the fun of batman is coming from the animations?

I have to respectfully disagree and I think you're making some gross assumptions about these because neither can exist in a vacuum and both rely on context. To say batmans combat system only works because of the animations an can't be fun otherwise because it is too simple would invalidate a lot of other games combat systems that are proven successes.
The only games I know of that do "whatever we're calling Batman combat" are all mega-budget AAA games. That... whatever it is is, Kung Fu Circle Flow combat?, got its start with Assassin's Creed, and only it, Batman and Shadow of Mordor have ever pulled it off well. Each owes that largely to the absurd number of attack animations that can be triggered to really break combat up, and so that when you attack in a given direction, it flows in a fun way instead of an ugly model twist + canned animation. Batman especially owes a lot of its fun-feeling to being able to use all your tools in said combat, which adds a whole other set of animations and filler animations per tool. Assassin's Creed, the modern ones at least, is much the same. Shadow of Mordor gets away with a comparatively smaller moveset and is about the most "budget" you can go with that style of combat - it had some serious janky animation blends and "wait why did that sword do that"'s, in spite of its still pretty significant budget.

Bayonetta/DMC have, comparatively, a very, very limited moveset. DMC 1 especially. Bayonetta's widens a bit when you add in all of the super hair attacks and punishers, but neither are core to what makes that combat system work, and both could be down on a lower budget (ie. Godhand). You can do a heck of a lot with those moves, but there isn't some huge set of blend animations to make it all flow - most of the time you hard pop, arcade style, between each movement. It's the kind of thing an indie could nail pretty respectably with a relatively limited animation set. Really, someone should have mentioned Godhand in here too. It's definitely in the DMC/Bayonetta calibre of combat systems, and is how "that" looks on a pretty dang low budget. Godhand is definitely something an indie in Unity/UE4 could achieve with minimal budget.

It's the "flowiness" that costs a ton. Could you do Kung Fu Circle Flow combat without that, and still have it be fun? I'm voting "no." It's the AAA Corridor Shooter of melee combat styles - it's only fun because of how much budget/content you've thrown at the problem to assure tons of variation despite limited actual gameplay variance.

EDIT: Ooof, that got long. Don't mean to imply Kung Fu Circle Flow combat is bad, mind. I LOVED Shadow of Mordor. I just think almost all that fun comes from the great animation set, and would pretty much vanish if you lost that. Though to be fair, you might be able to do an equivalent with a bunch of IK / procedural animation - something like how Gang Beats worked.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
I don't disagree, but you are assuming that limited animation content is a project constraint.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Heyyyy game people. I was wondering if you all had an idea about the distinction between gameplay engineers and technical designers?

Is it a fuzzy area of "programmer who designs" vs "designer who programs"? I'm trying to get an idea of the kinds of tasks each would perform.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Varies from studio to studio, but you can imagine that a gameplay engineer is going to be building designer-facing features and tools while a tech designer is going to be a subject matter expert in using said features and tools to create player-facing gameplay systems and content.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Seluin posted:

Heyyyy game people. I was wondering if you all had an idea about the distinction between gameplay engineers and technical designers?

Is it a fuzzy area of "programmer who designs" vs "designer who programs"? I'm trying to get an idea of the kinds of tasks each would perform.

I've interviewed for both lately - gameplay engineers usually aren't writing design documents, and technical designers usually do more prototyping and rough implementation than fully featured things.

Some gameplay programmers/engineers really aren't doing any design at all, they're just coding actual game systems, not networking/graphics/physics/UI/Whatever.

Also, I'm pretty sure the GPPs are paid more than the TDs.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Shalinor posted:

Kung Fu Circle Flow
As previously mentioned; One Finger Death Punch isn't a bad indie level implementation of something like that system.

For what it's worth you're right though. The pacing of the "Flow" systems in Batman etc. is quite slow. Those gaps have got to be filled with something, and pretty animations is really the most appropriate. One Finger Death Punch is much much faster paced to get around that, but it means it doesn't capture the same feel, even if it is mechanically similar.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure where else to post this. I have the weirdest bug in Unity with importing fbx's. I expect it (tried a variety of settings) and when I import it in to unity (or reimport) the uv mapping is totally screwed on certain parts of the mesh, mostly along triangulated parts. However, if I put a tessellate modifier on the mesh then export and import, it's fine. Obviously I don't want to do this as, but maybe it means something is wrong with the mesh itself. Anyone ever have that problem before?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

concerned mom posted:

I'm not sure where else to post this. I have the weirdest bug in Unity with importing fbx's. I expect it (tried a variety of settings) and when I import it in to unity (or reimport) the uv mapping is totally screwed on certain parts of the mesh, mostly along triangulated parts. However, if I put a tessellate modifier on the mesh then export and import, it's fine. Obviously I don't want to do this as, but maybe it means something is wrong with the mesh itself. Anyone ever have that problem before?

I've never encountered this, it sounds really odd. What software are you exporting from?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

floofyscorp posted:

I've never encountered this, it sounds really odd. What software are you exporting from?

3DS Max so pretty standard. Might need to reinstall Max eh..

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

concerned mom posted:

Does the FBX look borked in any other programs or if you reopen it in Max? Could at least help you narrow down where the misinterpretation is occurring.

E: or is that what you mean by reimport?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

concerned mom posted:

It could be something to do with your FBX exporter(what version are you using? THERE ARE SO MANY) or some inconsequential-sounding setting or some oddness in the geometry or something you forgot to flatten in your stack or some weird Unity quirk etc etc

Have you tried exporting as an OBJ and seeing if that has the same problem?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Make sure you are using the latest version of the FBX exporter. Unity uses version 2012.2 but even they say to use the latest and only fall back to their version if you are having problems.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

concerned mom posted:

Yes, the guy who sits next to me had this exact issue. Tried all sorts of solutions, had our tools guys look at it, and nada. Ended up re-installing Max to solve it.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Avshalom posted:

MYFUCKING REUSME

educaiton

2007" finished hgih school
2014: finished unicersrity, bachlro of grpahic desig/n?? loving useless

job experience
1990-2015: faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

portoflio
oh fuckoff

Unironically pretty much my resume.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Yes, the guy who sits next to me had this exact issue. Tried all sorts of solutions, had our tools guys look at it, and nada. Ended up re-installing Max to solve it.

Thanks guys for the help! #justmaxthings

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If anyone is in or interested in moving to the SoCal area, we have a ton of openings available at Red 5 Studios.

http://tbe.taleo.net/CH01/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=RED5STUDIOS&cws=1

There are a lot of opportunities available and we're looking pretty solid for the future.

Shoot me a PM for more info.

e: it isn't listed but we also need Senior Technical Artists with 3ds Max/MAXScript experience and the ability to build/revamp our Max content pipeline for modelling/rigging/animation and the many talented and qualified folks I know IRL are all happy doing this at other companies.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 9, 2015

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Echoing the sentiments of the thread title: anyone happen to be looking for an Associate-level Producer? After about 2 years my startup is beginning to burst into flames. I write specs good and do other things too.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Does anyone have or know of any good statistics for indie game sales on Steam? Because a game I contributed to finally got Greenlit and I'm just wondering what to expect.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

Does anyone have or know of any good statistics for indie game sales on Steam? Because a game I contributed to finally got Greenlit and I'm just wondering what to expect.
Check your PMs. Not really the kind of thing that can be posted in public.

EDIT: YOU SAW NOTHING :stare:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 11, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Check your PMs. Not really the kind of thing that can be posted in public.

can I get a peek?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

can I get a peek?

Boo, she posted it here before but then edited it out.

Edit: It was super interesting and I saw it and you didn't nyah nyah nyah!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
pants on fire.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
We're hiring for:

(priority)
- Senior Producer
- Creative Director
- Design Director
- Senior Systems Designer / Game Balance Designer
- Senior (and/or Lead) Level Designer
- Technical Producer
- Art Director
- Linux Systems Engineer
- AI Programmer

Full list here:
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/jobs

Shoot me a PM or email akaikami@gmail.com if you're interested. We're in the Dallas, TX area.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Anybody going to GDC this year?

Get Well Gamers usually hosts a good GDC dinner at Chevy's, not sure if he's doing that this year.