Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Hadlock posted:

Whoever posted that link to the T450, thanks! Found the X250 as well - looks like a REAL trackpad, FINALLY. Looks very traditionally thinkpad-dy. Very interested in reviews.

Looks like it comes with i5-5200U and i7-5600U with HD5500 graphics. Upgrade to 1080p IPS for ~$135 it looks like, with multitouch options in 1366x768 and 1080p. I love the stink out of my x230 so it's between the x250 and rMBA for my replacement laptop this fall.

http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x250/#galleryPhoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHhLejv6kp4
I remember your opinions on the X230 helped me buy my own one in 2012-- and while I love the hell out of it (best laptop I've ever owned) the trackpad is the worst thing ever.

I am really curious if the X250 finally fixes it. At least if not this one still has real buttons above the trackpad for use with the trackpoint. I noticed other Lenovo/Thinkpad laptops having virtual buttons instead of the real ones on the top of the trackpad, and I was really worried that was what they were going for on all of their new laptops.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Yeah an i5 with a modern HD4000, 4400, 4600 will play most games on steam that cost under $30 @ 30fps or better.

Thanks for this, "most games on Steam under $30" is kind of the upper limit of my own laptop gaming desires so that narrows it down some.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
What is the thinnest and/or lightest laptop available with both VGA and full sized HDMI ports? I know the simplest solution would be to buy something like a MacBook Air and get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI/VGA converter, but the person I'm buying it for has an aversion to adapters that borders on phobia. The only other requirement would be that it runs Microsoft Office (so no Chromebook, but Windows, OS X, and iOS are all ok). Processor, RAM, storage space, and even the screen are mostly irrelevant, as it will only be used to plug into projectors and give PowerPoint presentations. A tablet was my initial idea, but as far as I can tell nobody makes one with a VGA port, so I 'm trying to see what the best laptop option would be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The only laptop I ever owned with both VGA and HDMI ports was like seven years ago.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's a tough one - HDMI ports are common on consumer grade laptops but VGA is pretty much extinct, and VGA is common on business class machines but generally they will cone with a DisplayPort instead of HDMI.

The cheaper Asus 15" models come with both but I'd hardly describe then as thin and light.

BTW iOS is problematic for running PowerPoint from - you're much better off with a proper desktop OS.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Sheriff posted:

What is the thinnest and/or lightest laptop available with both VGA and full sized HDMI ports? I know the simplest solution would be to buy something like a MacBook Air and get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI/VGA converter, but the person I'm buying it for has an aversion to adapters that borders on phobia. The only other requirement would be that it runs Microsoft Office (so no Chromebook, but Windows, OS X, and iOS are all ok). Processor, RAM, storage space, and even the screen are mostly irrelevant, as it will only be used to plug into projectors and give PowerPoint presentations. A tablet was my initial idea, but as far as I can tell nobody makes one with a VGA port, so I 'm trying to see what the best laptop option would be.

Thin, light and VGA don't really mix well together. Most X and T series Thinkpads have both VGA and Displayport/HDMI. I am not sure if HP's Elitebooks still come with VGA anymore.

edit: thinkpad x131e have both VGA and HDMI but I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than powerpoint presentations and reading email.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 4, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My EliteBook 820 G1 has VGA and a full sized DisplayPort but no HDMI

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dissss posted:

My EliteBook 820 G1 has VGA and a full sized DisplayPort but no HDMI

These are our workplace laptops. It loving sucks, but I haven't seen a business laptop come out of HP with HDMI in, well, ever. There are passive adapters on Amazon for <$10. If you have an account rep w/ the likes of CDW and you tell him/her that the lack of HDMI is preventing you from buying, I have seen them include a box of adapters for free.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The HP DM1 series had both full size hdmi and vga ports. Was discontinued maybe two years ago now. They were top of the line netbooks at the time, way beyond the horrific early atom poo poo. With an ssd one could be more or less bearable for office poo poo even to this day, depending on your standards. Under 3.5 pounds.

Unimaginable there wouldn't be anything more recent/better available though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Calidus posted:

edit: thinkpad x131e have both VGA and HDMI but I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than powerpoint presentations and reading email.

They and the current x140e are also cheap ($300-400) and pretty durable (not fully ruggedized but somewhat since they were designed for schools). They are netbooks with crappy screens but still might be a good solution due to the unusual requirements (since it's cheap enough you can just use it for presentations and nothing else)

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 5, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Fiance needs a laptop for work, email, internet, light graphics editing (illustrator). She wants something smaller than a 15" but not too small that is hard to use. She would be taking it back and forth to work and doesn't want it to be heavy. She also wants inexpensive at around ~$500 but not sure if she will get something decent at that price. So basically, what is the cheapest, non-piece of poo poo 14" laptop available to Canadians.

I've found a $699 i5 14" Acer and a $559 it 15" Acer from canadacomputers.com. I'm making the assumption that I should stick with an i3/i5 based machine.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Sheriff posted:

What is the thinnest and/or lightest laptop available with both VGA and full sized HDMI ports?

The Panasonic RZ4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You could also get a cable with one Displayport end and one HDMI end. That might help with his weird adapter phobia.,

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Wife has an old Lenovo, ready for a replacement. Some schoolwork, web browsing, youtube and netflix. No gaming. She likes Lenovo.

Looking at the T series, the OP cautions against ones ending with a letter but it's a bit dated. What should I be looking at? Sub $1000 please.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Ferret King posted:

Wife has an old Lenovo, ready for a replacement. Some schoolwork, web browsing, youtube and netflix. No gaming. She likes Lenovo.

Looking at the T series, the OP cautions against ones ending with a letter but it's a bit dated. What should I be looking at? Sub $1000 please.

Without gaming, you're going to be way under $1000 -- don't stress it.

Midrange Lenovo laptop for general consumer use. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317279 EDIT: DO NOT BUY. This has the hyper-lovely trackpad.

Be careful what you look for; the following has worse specs than the above but costs $100 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1Y46297

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Flipperwaldt posted:

The HP DM1 series had both full size hdmi and vga ports. Was discontinued maybe two years ago now. They were top of the line netbooks at the time, way beyond the horrific early atom poo poo. With an ssd one could be more or less bearable for office poo poo even to this day, depending on your standards. Under 3.5 pounds.

Unimaginable there wouldn't be anything more recent/better available though.

I bought my fiancee a dm1z in mid-2011 and she loves it, she's still using it to this day. You could do much worse than a refurbed one if all you need to do is show off Powerpoint slides.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

It's been over 10 years since I last bought a PC laptop (my current mobile solution is an older macbook air), so I'm hoping for some recommendations to help me narrow my search. I have a blazing desktop that's killing my ability to realistically determine specs that I need for this laptop. My use for the laptop will be furious internet browsing, remote desktop-ing for work, and light gaming (looking to run the free old games I've received from Origin while in my living room or out of town visiting family, but it'd be lovely if I could run something like XCOM: Enemy Unknown or Star Trek Online with decent framerates in such situations as well). I'm not too concerned about it being super portable/thin, but a nice 14-15.6" screen is preferred. An HDMI port to output video to my TV is cool too, but not necessary. Budget is under $700, but it'd be rad if you guys think that some super budget machines would fit the bill. This won't even be close to my main machine, so it doesn't have to be brilliant or even super long-lasting, just better than my macbook air at handling the above tasks.

A few questions:
a) I've been spoiled by great standalone monitors for awhile; will I be ok with a 1600x900, or should I prioritize 1920x1080?
b) Given my usage scenarios, on what processor group should I be focusing? i5s? Are i3s useless? Pentiums? You get the point...
c) Is it generally cheaper to buy a laptop with an SSD, or install one aftermarket (or is it purely case-by-case)?
d) How important is a dedicated graphics card? I'm assuming the old Origin games will play with integrated graphics, but probably not XCOM or STO, right?
e) Am I just way better off trying to find a higher-end or mid-grade used laptop that's a couple years old? If so, any tips on models and/or specs to look for would be great. e: further to this question, if I end up looking at used laptops, how have integrated graphics vs dedicated cards changed over the years? Are the current integrated graphics on par with, say, an NVIDIA GT 330M? What about a 6xxm?

Thanks for any help!

marjorie fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 5, 2015

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

marjorie posted:

It's been over 10 years since I last bought a PC laptop (my current mobile solution is an older macbook air), so I'm hoping for some recommendations to help me narrow my search. I have a blazing desktop that's killing my ability to realistically determine specs that I need for this laptop. My use for the laptop will be furious internet browsing, remote desktop-ing for work, and light gaming (looking to run the free old games I've received from Origin while in my living room or out of town visiting family, but it'd be lovely if I could run something like XCOM: Enemy Unknown or Star Trek Online with decent framerates in such situations as well). I'm not too concerned about it being super portable/thin, but a nice 14-15.6" screen is preferred. An HDMI port to output video to my TV is cool too, but not necessary. Budget is under $700, but it'd be rad if you guys think that some super budget machines would fit the bill. This won't even be close to my main machine, so it doesn't have to be brilliant or even super long-lasting, just better than my macbook air at handling the above tasks.

A few questions:
a) I've been spoiled by great standalone monitors for awhile; will I be ok with a 1600x900, or should I prioritize 1920x1080?
b) Given my usage scenarios, on what processor group should I be focusing? i5s? Are i3s useless? Pentiums? You get the point...
c) Is it generally cheaper to buy a laptop with an SSD, or install one aftermarket (or is it purely case-by-case)?
d) How important is a dedicated graphics card? I'm assuming the old Origin games will play with integrated graphics, but probably not XCOM or STO, right?
e) Am I just way better off trying to find a higher-end or mid-grade used laptop that's a couple years old? If so, any tips on models and/or specs to look for would be great. e: further to this question, if I end up looking at used laptops, how have integrated graphics vs dedicated cards changed over the years? Are the current integrated graphics on par with, say, an NVIDIA GT 330M? What about a 6xxm?

Thanks for any help!

I am in an extremely similar situation. I have a desktop for home use, have a similar budget, and would just like to play the games of yesteryear in addition to basic office/web. Difference being I'm looking at 13-14" laptops instead of 14-15.6 so I don't care about the resolution as much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was excited about the Thinkpad Yoga 14 but now I see it has the old lovely trackpad and a glossy screen. The gently caress, Lenovo?

GC
Sep 8, 2004

zoom zoom
How is the Y50 UHD? I've read that the 1080p version is pretty awful - something like 55% RGB gamut.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

GC posted:

How is the Y50 UHD? I've read that the 1080p version is pretty awful - something like 55% RGB gamut.

There doesn't seem to be any option with the Y50 where the screen is anything more than mediocre at best. That was the corner they cut to pack all that power in.

My replacement IPS screen arrived yesterday, but I'm gonna hold off until it's 6 months old, just in case, though. Swapping screens will 100% void your warranty.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HP Chromebook for $209 at Woot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sarehu posted:

The Panasonic RZ4.

Very nice. I like these niche Japanese laptops, but they'd probably be impossible to find with a normal keyboard, if at all available anywhere else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also tiny and insanely expensive.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GC posted:

The UHD has a 45hz screen, it's bad. Just get the 1080p and replace the screen if you want.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it just me, or has HP's online store become almost impossible to navigate now? And where did their "Customize Your PC" thing go? Because I'm trying to get a price estimate on a new laptop, and it looks like the Customize option is gone now, which would suck.

I'm also having trouble finding where the hard-drive sizes are listed in the product descriptions. They give cache sizes and local memory sizes, but I'm not seeing hard-drive sizes at all. What the hell?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is it just me, or has HP's online store become almost impossible to navigate now? And where did their "Customize Your PC" thing go? Because I'm trying to get a price estimate on a new laptop, and it looks like the Customize option is gone now, which would suck.

I'm also having trouble finding where the hard-drive sizes are listed in the product descriptions. They give cache sizes and local memory sizes, but I'm not seeing hard-drive sizes at all. What the hell?

Dell's UK one is bad now too: can't configure a US keyboard on anything.

GC
Sep 8, 2004

zoom zoom

DoctorWhat posted:

The UHD has a 45hz screen, it's bad. Just get the 1080p and replace the screen if you want.

Ugh. I might consider doing that if the trackpad was centered to the chassis rather than the alpha keys.

I'm probably headed back to Sager, but I didn't really want to spend that kind of money. RIP my wallet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GC posted:

Ugh. I might consider doing that if the trackpad was centered to the chassis rather than the alpha keys.

I'm probably headed back to Sager, but I didn't really want to spend that kind of money. RIP my wallet.

The trackpad's garbage anyway. Get a mouse.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The y50's trackpad and screen are both perfectly serviceable if not outstanding. So long as you're not doing any photo/video on it I say go for it. If you really hate it return it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For all the hating on the Y50, I will say that it's a ridiculously performing beast. I have the 4 gig VRAM/16 gig RAM variant and holy poo poo, it can play Shadows of Mordor with everything maxed without a problem at 40-60 fps without any hitching. It can also play Planetside 2 without a problem, and that game is notorious for having finicky performance. Really drat impressive for a laptop, especially one that cost barely over $1k.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 6, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

So if you're willing to spend more on a better screen and keyboard, what performance laptop should you buy instead of Y50/Y70.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Is the T440S/T440P still recommended for a decent programming/research laptop around $1K or should I wait until the T450?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

SporkOfTruth posted:

Is the T440S/T440P still recommended for a decent programming/research laptop around $1K or should I wait until the T450?

I would most likely wait for the T450 because of the nice touchpad and buttons but the T440P with the 1080 IPS screen is a great Dev laptop. I don't mind the the touchpad on the T440P but I have it in a dock connected to a mouse and keyboard 80% of the time.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Dominoes posted:

So if you're willing to spend more on a better screen and keyboard, what performance laptop should you buy instead of Y50/Y70.

These are the two machines I'm considering to replace my 5 year old Lenovo Y-series.

Clevo P650SE. It can get pricey but under $1500 buys a GTX970m (twice as many shaders as the GTX860 in the Lenovo), an IPS display, and m.2 expansion slots capable of utilizing PCIe SSDs. It has a pretty restrained appearance as well.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Clevo-P651SE-Schenker-XMG-P505-Barebones-Notebook-Review.127978.0.html
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-p-7690.html

The new MSI GE62 is marginally more expensive than a Y50, but has a GTX965m and i think a Samsung PLS display. From what I've seen it has vastly better viewing angles than the cheap TN panels in some other machines.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711&cm_re=msi_ge62-_-34-152-711-_-Product

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Calidus posted:

I would most likely wait for the T450 because of the nice touchpad and buttons but the T440P with the 1080 IPS screen is a great Dev laptop. I don't mind the the touchpad on the T440P but I have it in a dock connected to a mouse and keyboard 80% of the time.

I was talking to a sales rep in Ireland and the estimated sales date for europe is "sometime in the next two months"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am very happy with the new Y50. I can see what people are saying about the lack of color fidelity with extremely bright and saturated greens and yellows but I'm okay without flaming neon yellow and green in my life. Touch pad feels a little cheap. But it's a beast, I'm running games with maximum settings plus heavy post processing and it runs like a dream.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

If you can get a laptop for cheap with a 970m then get that laptop, as the performance is some 60-70% of the desktop card. That's probably around as powerful as a GTX 960 or thereabouts, which is a just released mid-high end desktop card.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I'd like to also voice my satisfaction with the Y50. The touchpad works, and that's about as much as I'll give it.

Everything else (including a 4K touchscreen) is sick nasty. 48fps is perfectly fine for my philistine eyes. I honestly don't even notice significant differences between 48 and 100. Maybe I'd care if I played counterstrike for money. It's just fine for DotA, Diablo, and Netflix. I also haven't noticed any color / yellow weirdness, but I could just be a double philistine.

The 4k resolution is REALLY cool when you get to see it in action. Wifi card owns, the 860m inside of it rules, and it looks pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Calidus posted:

When is the expected timeframe for them to release it? Before the end of February?