Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Bilirubin posted:

Tangerine accounts set up, payroll deposit moved, starting to switch all my automatic debits. They have already given me a $50 bonus (yay free money)!

Appointment to set up my eSeries accounts is set for early next week. So now its time to start thinking about allocations! I have been thinking of 40% US, 20% Canadian stocks, 20% Canadian bonds, 20% foreign market. I have at least 20-25 years of work until retirement (probably longer though because I like what I do) so I don't have to worry yet about sheltering more of my cash from market volatility correct? And, should I set up the same ratios in both my RRSP and TFSA or somehow average the ratio across both types of accounts?

Yeah you can be as aggressive as you're comfortable with at this point.

In terms of portfolio balance, technically anything paying yield will have a less favourable tax rate vs things which will grow mostly via cap gains, so you might be biased to putting higher yielding securities in your TFSA, if you're in a position to max both the TFSA and RRSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So what do you think guys have we hit bottom of the dollar and crude?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

slidebite posted:

No and yes.

But honestly, nobody knows.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

slidebite posted:

:iiam:

I would bet, not confidently, yes and yes though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah you can be as aggressive as you're comfortable with at this point.

In terms of portfolio balance, technically anything paying yield will have a less favourable tax rate vs things which will grow mostly via cap gains, so you might be biased to putting higher yielding securities in your TFSA, if you're in a position to max both the TFSA and RRSP.

Thanks!

The kicking of CIBC to the curb continues. All my savings are now moved to Tangerine for their sweet, higher interest, and the TD TFSA and RSP are set up, now just waiting for the transfers to execute and the conversion to e-series to take place (applied for this while in the branch setting up my account--my personal banker knew all about them and was really helpful throughout). I am deriving unexpected pleasure from this process.

And 4 Pillars is much more easy to read than I was expecting for an economics/investment text.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
"Hitting bottom" sometimes has a connotation of a rebound being imminent. I doubt oil gets much cheaper from here, but I also don't see a recovery any time soon.

The Canadian dollar will fall even further, though. More rate cuts, continued lovely oil prices, and our almost-certain recession this year will take us down further yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't think anybody is under an illusion of a rebound on either oil or the dollar anytime soon.

I am hoping we have stabilized somewhat at least.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Put your money where your mouth is son :getin:

I'm not converting any of my GBP or USD.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I don't think anybody is under an illusion of a rebound on either oil or the dollar anytime soon.

I am hoping we have stabilized somewhat at least.

Well, we're talking about timelines of decades, so I guess Canada is just on sale?

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Anyone know a good guide to Canadian credit cards or have a recommendation? I'm still rocking my 1000 limit with 1% rebate from when I was a teenager and really should take advantage of air miles etc.

I'll note that I fly somewhat regularly for work which I can pay for with the company card but am allowed to put points/rewards on my own card.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Wilhelm posted:

Anyone know a good guide to Canadian credit cards or have a recommendation? I'm still rocking my 1000 limit with 1% rebate from when I was a teenager and really should take advantage of air miles etc.

I'll note that I fly somewhat regularly for work which I can pay for with the company card but am allowed to put points/rewards on my own card.

I'm wondering again as well. The highly recommended Capital One Aspire Travel MasterCard is no longer available :(

e: http://www.rewardscanada.ca/topcc2014/#rankings The Capital One Aspire Platinum Travel MasterCard looks decent. No fee, but not as generous on the rewards as the original?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
If you plan to travel and spend a reasonable amount on your card every year, consider the TD Visa Infinite travel card (1.5% of all spending into travel points or 4.5% of travel spending back), or the BMO world elite travel MasterCard (2% of all spending into travel points). They have no fee versions if you don't spend much on your card but if you spend (or can redirect enough spending) to get over ~20,000 per year on the card it's worth it. We do this by paying for literally everything on our card, down to as little as 2 dollar coffees.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Ashley Madison posted:

I'm wondering again as well. The highly recommended Capital One Aspire Travel MasterCard is no longer available :(

Huh? It looks available to me:
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-car...a%2Fca-homepage

That's the one card everyone should have if they can. Best in the country IMO.

In second place I would put the Westjet RBC World Elite Mastercard. 1.5% of spending turns into Westjet dollars and every year you get a $99 travel companion voucher. Oh, no baggage fees as well. I have this one but put nothing on it. I just use it for no baggage fees and the companion flight.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

Huh? It looks available to me:
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-car...a%2Fca-homepage

That's the one card everyone should have if they can. Best in the country IMO.

In second place I would put the Westjet RBC World Elite Mastercard. 1.5% of spending turns into Westjet dollars and every year you get a $99 travel companion voucher. Oh, no baggage fees as well. I have this one but put nothing on it. I just use it for no baggage fees and the companion flight.

Welp, I'm a dummy. I was going based on what the Rewards Canada listing said. Thanks! :v:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wilhelm posted:

If you like cash back and buy a lot of stuff in foreign currency, I like the Amazon Chase card. No annual fee, no foreign currency exchange (usually 2.5%), 2% cash back spent on Amazon and 1% cash back on everything else. No travel/warranty/price protection benefits though.

For Canadian purchases I use the Capital One Aspire Cash. Basically the same thing except instead of free foreign currency excahnge and 2% cash back, I get warranty and price protection benefits.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Mantle posted:

For Canadian purchases I use the Capital One Aspire Cash. Basically the same thing except instead of free foreign currency excahnge and 2% cash back, I get warranty and price protection benefits.

edit: nevermind, I think I read this wrong.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's been what.. a year since I last posted almost? Still getting hosed around setting up my TD e-series stuff. Online says I'm hooked up, but it doesn't work because the bank says I'm missing info in my account and everyone I talk to has a different answer. I've half given up, gently caress TD why do they make this so hard? I have 100k I'd like to give them but they're throwing up so many loving hoops.

Their latest idiocy is mailing me a form and saying to write my email address in it (after emailing me that they need to mail me back a form so I can put my email address in it) then after I sent it back saying the form is no good because it's a copy and not the original. It's what you idiots sent me!

Are all the "big 5" run this poorly? On the plus side my stupid manulife investments have done super well all this time and apparently a lot of the e-series guys I was going to buy have done a bit poo poo.

Also, my wife is getting stocks every pay day for the company she works for because they give you a 50% discount. I was told we were idiots if not instantly selling the stocks and investing something else. How do I do this? How do we even access these stocks or do anything with them? My wife seems to think you "aren't allowed to do that".

Now that our currency is hosed and canada is super hosed, what should someone with 100k sitting in a lovely high-fee manulife TFSA do?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 4, 2015

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Also, my wife is getting stocks every pay day for the company she works for because they give you a 50% discount. I was told we were idiots if not instantly selling the stocks and investing something else. How do I do this? How do we even access these stocks or do anything with them? My wife seems to think you "aren't allowed to do that".

She might not be allowed to sell. Or might not be allowed to sell them all. Most of the time there is a vesting period as well as restriction on the number of selling transactions per year when purchasing company stock. She will have to ask her employer. Nobody here is going to know the answer to this.

edit: And yes, TD is pure poo poo when it comes to setting up an investment account.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 5, 2015

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

Now that our currency is hosed and canada is super hosed, what should someone with 100k sitting in a lovely high-fee manulife TFSA do?

I Am Not A Certified Investment Guy:

The only place I'm comfortable investing in right now is the U.S. economy. Asia will go down the toilet along with China; Europe is probably due for a rebound but Russia is casting a pall on the German economy so I'm staying away; Canada is... well, Canada.

Get some U.S. index funds and maybe a municipal bond fund or something else similar to leaven it out. Maybe a U.S. REIT, too. The U.S. economy is big enough that you can go balls in and still have a nicely diversified portfolio.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am one of the lucky ones and am currently in a Defined Benefit pension plan.

Work is taking off roughly $900 a month before tax for this luxury but contributing slightly more.

Should I even bother with investing until my debts are paid?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

If I want to max my TFSA this year from close to nothing, am I better off putting it all in one lump sum right now to get it going as soon as possible, or spreading out the amount over the rest of the year? Or is this a personal preference thing? Just planning to do index ETFs if that matters.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whiteycar posted:

Work is taking off roughly $900 a month before tax for this luxury but contributing slightly more.

No, spend every cent you earn because YOLO.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Arrinien posted:

If I want to max my TFSA this year from close to nothing, am I better off putting it all in one lump sum right now to get it going as soon as possible, or spreading out the amount over the rest of the year? Or is this a personal preference thing? Just planning to do index ETFs if that matters.

Lump sum if you can.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Whiteycar posted:

What kind of debts are we talking about and how sure are you that pension is still going to be around when you retire?

In completely unrelated news, have you ever heard of White Birch Papers or US Steel?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

FrozenVent posted:

What kind of debts are we talking about and how sure are you that pension is still going to be around when you retire?

In completely unrelated news, have you ever heard of White Birch Papers or US Steel?

Like $15 K line of credit and Mortgage

Its Alberta Civil Service so not the most bankable pension but best worst case scenario is they pull a Canada Post and change the pension for people coming in after a certain cut off date.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

I'd pay down the LOC before investing. You're probably paying 4-6% in interest and it might be tough to achieve a return like that in the market. With a DB pension to fall back on, in my mind it's a no brainer.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Whiteycar posted:

Like $15 K line of credit and Mortgage

Its Alberta Civil Service so not the most bankable pension but best worst case scenario is they pull a Canada Post and change the pension for people coming in after a certain cut off date.

I'm with the Nova Scotia Civil Service and I still invest like a motherfucker because I don't want to be a slave to my pension.

Though my only debt is my mortgage, so the priority for my extra money goes RRSP (small amount of annual room due to pension deduction) > TFSA > Mortgage > Taxable Investments

The priority for your extra money should probably be Line of Credit > RRSP > TFSA > Mortgage > Taxable Investments. I guess since you're in Alberta your TFSA may be a higher priority depending on your gross income.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

It's been what.. a year since I last posted almost? Still getting hosed around setting up my TD e-series stuff. Online says I'm hooked up, but it doesn't work because the bank says I'm missing info in my account and everyone I talk to has a different answer. I've half given up, gently caress TD why do they make this so hard? I have 100k I'd like to give them but they're throwing up so many loving hoops.

Their latest idiocy is mailing me a form and saying to write my email address in it (after emailing me that they need to mail me back a form so I can put my email address in it) then after I sent it back saying the form is no good because it's a copy and not the original. It's what you idiots sent me!

Are all the "big 5" run this poorly? On the plus side my stupid manulife investments have done super well all this time and apparently a lot of the e-series guys I was going to buy have done a bit poo poo.

Having done this before my advice is don't bother calling them, it's a nightmare, you get transferred everywhere. Fill out the form and mail it like they mentioned. You should have an online investment account with your branch number being the first few digits, typically at a branch where you opened the regular account you are then converting. The conversion is completed when the branch numbers of your investment account changes online. You will have more options when selecting the different MF groups online.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/mutualfunds/tdeseriesfunds/tdct-mutualfunds-tdeseriesfunds-convertaccount.pdf

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

On the plus side my stupid manulife investments have done super well all this time and apparently a lot of the e-series guys I was going to buy have done a bit poo poo.

Dude, what the hell are you talking about. An index portfolio has gone gangbusters in the past year. This is the one year performance of each of the four typically recommended e-series funds (note that US/Int are particularly high for currency reasons):

Click through to those fund performances and you'll see for yourself: https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/investing/mutual-funds/td-eseries-funds.jsp#what-does-td-offer

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Before anyone is like whao, that US equity portfolio, it's mostly due to currency devaluation.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

jm20 posted:

Before anyone is like whao, that US equity portfolio, it's mostly due to currency devaluation.

I did make a point of mentioning that :)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

After going gung-ho on indexing and reading plenty of investment literature (Four Pillars, Elements of Investing, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, etc.) I decided to help spread the word of the wonderful world of index investing to my fellow teachers at the school I work at. I'm currently making a PowerPoint presentation and with pre-seminar evaluations I'm shocked that some of my co-workers either don't know what the difference between an RRSP and a TFSA are, haven't really done any saving at all, allow active money managers to handle their investments, and/or have debt and don't see the issue with it.

I hope to help my fellow educators get themselves to better living instead of crossing their fingers that their pension will see them through, and not have to work to their 80s or whatever like I see some public school teachers doing. :smith:

EDIT: When I finish the PowerPoint, would some more advanced investment Canada goons be willing to give it a look to make sure I'm not missing anything or giving false data?

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 5, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Olive Branch posted:

After going gung-ho on indexing and reading plenty of investment literature (Four Pillars, Elements of Investing, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, etc.) I decided to help spread the word of the wonderful world of index investing to my fellow teachers at the school I work at. I'm currently making a PowerPoint presentation and with pre-seminar evaluations I'm shocked that some of my co-workers either don't know what the difference between an RRSP and a TFSA are, haven't really done any saving at all, allow active money managers to handle their investments, and/or have debt and don't see the issue with it.

I hope to help my fellow educators get themselves to better living instead of crossing their fingers that their pension will see them through, and not have to work to their 80s or whatever like I see some public school teachers doing. :smith:

EDIT: When I finish the PowerPoint, would some more advanced investment Canada goons be willing to give it a look to make sure I'm not missing anything or giving false data?
Most people don't care and don't want to deal with investments. They are handing over a huge amount of money over their career to some doofus to press buttons but don't be "that guy" about it. Give some shock numbers, then some quick and easy and short basics. Let the people who are interested then come to you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Teachers are pretty dumb so prepare to be absolutely crushed in your efforts to help them think critically about anything in their lives.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Did my taxes tonight and :gizz::siren::hawaaaafap: after seeing I had a refund of over 6 grand. Thanks, pseudo-income splitting! If the 10k TFSA thing actually materializes I'll be harder than almost as hard as CI watching Canada struggle in a liquidity trap before succumbing to a deflationary spiral.

e. on second thought I don't think anything could rival CI's hateboner for canada.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Poor CIBC guy...as I was switching accounts for automatic payments I had to cancel the automatic buy ins for my TFSA and RRSP which required speaking with the mutual funds guy. He wanted to spend "approximately 90 seconds first to see if my investment was still right for me" but I cut him off and said I was already ahead of him and the transfer order was already submitted. At the end of the call he tried one last time with a sad "but if you are no longer happy with the long term investment we can take your profits and move them into a shorter term vehicle!" and I kind of unloaded on him about how the last time one of them suggested a thing it came with an over 2% MER and that was why I was getting out but if he could suggest a competitive fund to the e-series I was all ears, by all means go ahead he hung up.

:feelsgood:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Olive Branch posted:

Many people don't have the self-control to save anything at all. Keep this in mind. Know your audience. Many detractors will detract from your efforts simply because they don't want to change their lifestyle to one that allows saving money.

You should be targeting the people that already save, but aren't making the best use of that extra cash. What percentage of your coworkers fit into this mould I'm not sure, but I would say not many.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Early last year, before reading through this thread, I maxed out my TFSA up to 2014 and left it sitting in a "High Interest" account until I figured out what to do with it. Shortly thereafter, my credit union called me and talked me into putting it into a short term 1-year GIC until I solidify my plans.

Flash forward to today; after doing next to nothing with it I've seen the light and will be opening up a TFSA account at TD shortly. What is the best way to make the switch? Can I open the account with this year's contribution room, then have TD transfer the money from my credit union TFSA to the TD? Or do I have to pull it out, and re-contribute it in 2016? The GIC matures in 10 days; does the minimal interest accured stay within the TFSA and increase my overall contribution room?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

How do I know when the e-series are set up? Do I get some sort of notification or do they just quietly appear as another option to buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Reggie Died posted:

Early last year, before reading through this thread, I maxed out my TFSA up to 2014 and left it sitting in a "High Interest" account until I figured out what to do with it. Shortly thereafter, my credit union called me and talked me into putting it into a short term 1-year GIC until I solidify my plans.

Flash forward to today; after doing next to nothing with it I've seen the light and will be opening up a TFSA account at TD shortly. What is the best way to make the switch? Can I open the account with this year's contribution room, then have TD transfer the money from my credit union TFSA to the TD? Or do I have to pull it out, and re-contribute it in 2016? The GIC matures in 10 days; does the minimal interest accured stay within the TFSA and increase my overall contribution room?

Your credit union should do the transfer for you which preserves everything. Earnings in a TFSA do not increase your contribution room.