Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Big Grunty Secret posted:

The rationale is probably that a form-fitting suit has less cloth that would rustle and snag on stuff as you crawled around, hence being quieter. The sneaking suit also puts pressure on internal organs and has bulletproof material sewn into it, lessening the chance of a serious injury while wearing it.

Also has the benefit of giving you a sweet rear end:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know if it was intentionally or not but something I found funny in Arkham Asylum: Harley Quinn release all the craziest mental patients in Arkham and make it appear like you're in deep poo poo now. They even designed it so that if one of them spots you they run screaming with rage towards you. Turns out that all you have to do is counter them and they fall over.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I just beat Dishonored. Corvo is a gofer for the entire game, and isn't for the last two missions. Despite the change, the game keeps its intermission area so that the narrative shift doesn't actually disrupt the rhythm of the game.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Who What Now posted:

That's not a sneaking suit, that's a wearable space blanket. :colbert:

I spent the whole game thinking "man, that's a dumb sneaking suit, everyone can see you coming from a mile away!"

And then I got the the boss fight. "Hey, where the gently caress is sh... oh go-CQC BODY SLAM" :gonk:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edmond Dantes posted:

I spent the whole game thinking "man, that's a dumb sneaking suit, everyone can see you coming from a mile away!"

And then I got the the boss fight. "Hey, where the gently caress is sh... oh go-CQC BODY SLAM" :gonk:

You can do the same to her with rain camo/snow face paint.

Gives you 95% camo and can hide from her, its pretty cool.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Boss only operates in fields of white flowers and snowy conditions.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Alteisen posted:

You can do the same to her with rain camo/snow face paint.

Gives you 95% camo and can hide from her, its pretty cool.

Yeah, I've done the mandatory "gently caress with the AI" runs; I love every boss has something you can exploit, aside from the regular AI fuckery.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The Boss only operates in fields of white flowers and snowy conditions.

Man, I'd murder someone to have a game starring The Boss during WW2. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Boss had a pretty good reason for the outfit though; (BIG BIG SPOILERS) martyring yourself doesn't really work if you're being quiet and hidden from the general eye.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Herbotron posted:

Started playing the original Fable again, and there's a loooot of stuff that's horribly broken in that game and I love it. Stuff like:
Marrying lady Grey so you can punch her for a long time, and since she's immortal she won't die and you can gain infinite strength experience. When given the opportunity to speak she'd divorce you though.
Going into someone's house at night, killing them so you could buy it, putting up trophies to improve its value, breaking the door, selling it, and stealing the trophies to lower the value before repeating the process.
Sleeping somewhere but leaving before the screen goes dark to avoid getting charged for trespassing.
Maxing out your "goodness" so that the demon door that requires you to do evil to pass will be satisfied with eating crunchy chicks instead of killing your wife.
The save system, which was intended to allow grinding by saving items and experience but not quest progress, was good and convenient, especially since there were no limits on what items you could keep, including silver keys, potions of experience, or the final bosses sword. I have fond memories of spending hours doing the arena quest repeatedly to make mad bank.

First Fable was the only good one imo.

Best one is making infinite gold/guile EXP by selling potions and buying them back when you have enough points that shopkeepers buy them for more than they sell them for.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Best one is making infinite gold/guile EXP by selling potions and buying them back when you have enough points that shopkeepers buy them for more than they sell them for.

Its that kind of charm that made those older games fun, especially Morrowind. Make potions that can let you leap far into the distance so fast the game cannot keep up with you and has to load, make a scroll that shatters the enemy's equipment, make a spell that burns everyone in a 50 foot radius, make an amulet that would constantly regen your MP before MP regeneration was a thing and yes, making a potion that shot up your personality and mercantile so high you could buy anything for 1 gold and sell it back for all of the merchant's money.

As a reminder: These fun things that broke the game if you knew what you were doing was why Oblivion's and Skyrim's magic systems were neutered.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Boss had a pretty good reason for the outfit though; (BIG BIG SPOILERS) martyring yourself doesn't really work if you're being quiet and hidden from the general eye.

just use spoiler tags, dude.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hobo By Design posted:

I just beat Dishonored. Corvo is a gofer for the entire game, and isn't for the last two missions. Despite the change, the game keeps its intermission area so that the narrative shift doesn't actually disrupt the rhythm of the game.

The last time I was in the hub area it was swarming with troops including those crazy stiltwalker guys. I don't even think the mad scientist engineer guy is still there to buy things from, although maybe I'm wrong on that. It kind of broke the rhythm significantly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What the heck does "is a gofer" mean anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

It means you run errands for other people but almost always refers to poo poo like fetch quests, which Dishonored doesn't have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

You go get stuff for people.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh right, I thought it meant he was a literal gopher which was like :wtc:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Its that kind of charm that made those older games fun, especially Morrowind. Make potions that can let you leap far into the distance so fast the game cannot keep up with you and has to load, make a scroll that shatters the enemy's equipment, make a spell that burns everyone in a 50 foot radius, make an amulet that would constantly regen your MP before MP regeneration was a thing and yes, making a potion that shot up your personality and mercantile so high you could buy anything for 1 gold and sell it back for all of the merchant's money.

As a reminder: These fun things that broke the game if you knew what you were doing was why Oblivion's and Skyrim's magic systems were neutered.

The funny thing is there's posts in the "things dragging a game down" thread that go "Skyrim is bad because of how easy it is to break with enchanting" I will never stop being amused over the ability to break the game popping up in both threads.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

GO TO HERE, GO-TO BOY.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Len posted:

The funny thing is there's posts in the "things dragging a game down" thread that go "Skyrim is bad because of how easy it is to break with enchanting" I will never stop being amused over the ability to break the game popping up in both threads.

Skyrim didn't remove the ability to break the game, it removed the ability to break the game in a fun way. You break Skyrim, there's not much to it, you just become an unstoppable knight. And sure, you can just be an unstoppable knight in Morrowind and Oblivion, but it's much more lucrative, and much more fun, to get creative and go loving insane. This is especially true in Morrowind, but Oblivion will let you flip out if you're clever too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Len posted:

I think there's two parts of this: each TES game has a progressively larger audience and a lot of them probably haven't broken games to the extent that TES games let you before. It can be jarring and kind of weird if that's not what you're playing them for.

The second part is that there is wayyyyy less to do in terms of character building and skills in each progressive TES game. Morrowind can be split wide open in under five minutes if you have half an idea what you're doing with it, but playing blind your character is almost guaranteed to have some serious shortcomings for several hours of gameplay. Even then, unless you really plan stuff regarding how you're using your potion ingredients (or where to buy which summoning spell and where to sell the soul gems afterwards, or what items to enchant with what benefits) it's possible to have a really high ranking in a given skill without necessarily knowing how to exploit it.

Skyrim has way less skills and the perks make it pretty clear how to best abuse each one, so things like alchemy + enchanting are really easy to stumble on naturally a lot easier. poo poo, you mouse over a Sneak skill node, a Marksman skill node, and an Enchanting skill node and you have a pretty good idea how to break the game just through what the helpful text says.

Oblivion is almost-sorta immune to this because the level scaling really fucks over the type of metagaming that worked well in Morrowind.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nonsense, oblivion has the create-a-spell altar.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nonsense, oblivion has the create-a-spell altar.

Locked behind literally the highest level of a faction.

Regardless - I meant more in terms of the skills available to the player. In Morrowind you could use them cleverly at low levels to make yourself stronger than an in-game god, in Skyrim you can build bows that one-shot dragons. Oblivion doesn't have super breakable combinations of skills like that (as far as I remember at least) and if you tag any non-combat skills you've hosed yourself out of the level progression pretty hard. My first character tagged Sneak, which was pretty great until it levelled me up several times. Then any time where I couldn't really hide (mostly hallways in some of the portals) enemies would curbstomp me. It was pretty awful.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Couldn't you tag secondary combat skills and totally useless primary skills , leaving you overpowered since the game scales around your primary skills? or was that morrowind

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In Oblivion you could imbue your armor with a total of 100% Chameleon and be literally invisible. No enemies could attack you. it was great I waltzed through the entire shivering isles that way

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

Well yeah you can break it, but not in a way that Morrowind does it. Skyrim you can do some enchantments where you get like 2 million health regen per second, but you can't make a spell that breaks the armor of everyone in a 50 foot radius or make your own form of fast travel be jumping across the land.

In non TES games, I'm playing Metro 2033 and there is a level where someone you're traveling with runs into some bandits and you have to save him. You can just go loud and kill everyone, or go silent and kill everyone. Now at the end of the mission another friendly character pops up and the loading screen has the main character mention "It felt like someone was helping me from the shadows".

If you go stealth the guy actually DOES help you by shooting some enemies with a pneumatic crossbow, I have never noticed this before and confused the hell out of me when I heard what sounded like a snake hissing and the enemy in front of me suddenly has a bolt in his chest.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

The reload animation for the rocket launcher in Battlefield Hardline
http://zippy.gfycat.com/RespectfulHilariousAfricancivet.webm

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Haruharuharuko posted:

There should be a random chance that it explodes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Haruharuharuko posted:

Aren't there a bunch of rare reload animations like that? I saw one gif where a third hand gives you a new clipazine and another where you use the force to put it in your gun.

edit: apparently BF4 had them too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXc6nKFdReQ

flatluigi has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Feb 5, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

In Oblivion you could imbue your armor with a total of 100% Chameleon and be literally invisible. No enemies could attack you. it was great I waltzed through the entire shivering isles that way

In vanilla the only way to do this was to keep the otherwise completely useless manacles from the opening prison because they were the only enchantable item for that slot IIRC.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Couldn't you tag secondary combat skills and totally useless primary skills , leaving you overpowered since the game scales around your primary skills? or was that morrowind

Yep, absolutely, but it kinda required knowing how the game was set up because "tag things that you will hopefully never ever use" is pretty much the opposite of intuitive.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Ryoshi posted:

It kind of broke the rhythm significantly.

He's there, talking with the other guy. He gives you an easy way to deal with everyone if you get a thing for him.

Strayer
May 19, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Skyrim didn't remove the ability to break the game, it removed the ability to break the game in a fun way. You break Skyrim, there's not much to it, you just become an unstoppable knight. And sure, you can just be an unstoppable knight in Morrowind and Oblivion, but it's much more lucrative, and much more fun, to get creative and go loving insane. This is especially true in Morrowind, but Oblivion will let you flip out if you're clever too.

One of my most favorite things in Morrowind was that if you cranked your strength high enough through alchemy, your weapon would shatter on impact with the enemy. You could hit dudes so hard in that game that it would kill the enemy AND your sword instantly.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Who What Now posted:

It's not that goofy

The worst I can say is that outside of sneaking in the dark it probably wouldn't be the most fantastic camo ever since it doesn't do much to obscure the human form (which our brain is super good at spotting and why ghillie suits are so effective) but apparently it helps dampen sounds made while moving... somehow. Also you can't see it in the pic I provided but I swear there is a weird cord that goes across both shoulders but hovers around a full two inches above them. Hm. But in any case it's not nearly as goofy as the Boss' sneaking suit:

That's not a sneaking suit, that's a wearable space blanket. :colbert:

Dude this camo looks like he is wrapped in k'nex and balloon animals. It's goofy. The Boss looks better in it but that is because her version is less goofy. Snake is wearing a tactical fanny pack

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

Oh hey I've seen reloads like that before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRm-BSukPds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WasgRxx6r4

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Leal posted:

Well yeah you can break it, but not in a way that Morrowind does it. Skyrim you can do some enchantments where you get like 2 million health regen per second, but you can't make a spell that breaks the armor of everyone in a 50 foot radius or make your own form of fast travel be jumping across the land.

Fast travel courtesy of 600 bottles of skooma.

Sadly, a lot of the weird exploits in Skyrim have been patched out. But I think the insanely game breaking Fortify Alchemy > Fortify Restoration potions thing still works unless you're on PC and have the unofficial patches.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I liked how Morrowind let you know about the crazy magic system. Walking in the middle of nowhere you hear a scream and an npc splats to death in front of you. Search the body and you find an enchanted item with +1000 or something to the jumping skill. Athletics? Of course I immediately used it and died the same way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Little Blue Couch posted:

Dude this camo looks like he is wrapped in k'nex and balloon animals. It's goofy. The Boss looks better in it but that is because her version is less goofy. Snake is wearing a tactical fanny pack

He does that even if his camouflage is solid black, the soviet flag on one side and the american flag on the back, or covered in ducks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He does that even if his camouflage is solid black, the soviet flag on one side and the american flag on the back, or covered in ducks.

The tactical fanny pack is honestly the least goofy thing he's ever worn.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The tactical backpack is manly and unisex!

The duck camo quacks intermittently too :3:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Who What Now posted:

The tactical fanny pack is honestly the least goofy thing he's ever worn.

Going off of Peace Walker, the tactical fanny pack is a balloon/parachute ready to deploy for Fultoning. Yes, I know way too much about the MGS series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FebrezeNinja posted:

I liked how Morrowind let you know about the crazy magic system. Walking in the middle of nowhere you hear a scream and an npc splats to death in front of you. Search the body and you find an enchanted item with +1000 or something to the jumping skill. Athletics? Of course I immediately used it and died the same way.

Are they the Boots of Blinding Speed? Not only are you fast, but you're actually blind, as well.