Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Enderzero posted:

It's not going to hit $15 until 2018 so why do they need to close in March 2015 again?

because the captain of industry there can barely handle running a business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Enderzero posted:

It's not going to hit $15 until 2018 so why do they need to close in March 2015 again?

well the captain of industry runs a bookstore in san fran where he pays all his eimployees minimum wage and pays himself $28k a year so it was probably on its way out. doesn't stop r/sanfrancisco from whining about minimum wages being useless bullshit that kill business though

quote:

I understand your points. But it also did say the owner/manager of the shop was also only pulling in $28k last year, so it's not just the owner snubbing their staff. He was definitely making his own sacrifices during tough times.

quote:

It's great that voters think they know more than general economist consensus on the issue that it isn't so black/white. What next, letting voters decide on scientific issues as well? Oh right, we already do.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_37_%282012%29)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Munkeymon posted:

I'm sure the tos say no cops allowed and you know if that's in there they can't use it duh

when will congress finally repeal the internet privacy act of 1995

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

when will congress finally repeal the internet privacy act of 1995

thanks a lot, clinton

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
san francisco proposition 'J,' the referendum for the $15 minimum wage, appears to also repeal small business exceptions.
(at least, it strikes the entire paragraph defining "small business" -- i can't be assed to look at it any more closely)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

"small business" is code for "rich people" right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

san francisco proposition 'J,' the referendum for the $15 minimum wage, appears to also repeal small business exceptions.
(at least, it strikes the entire paragraph defining "small business" -- i can't be assed to look at it any more closely)

i'm glad somewhere's realized that small business exceptions are bullshit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

"small business" is code for "rich people" right?

always

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my trophy wife's artisanal money-loser store that I keep afloat to just get her out of the fkn house

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

my trophy wife's artisanal money-loser store that I keep afloat to just get her out of the fkn house

i have known so many people whose wives do this

some stereotypes have a basis in fact.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
one of my bosses actually paid to get his wife's "book" "published." she was non-practicing in her field but thought she had unique expertise to offer the world i guess

me, i just figured i wasn't paid enough if my immediate superior could afford to pay tens of thousands for vanity publishing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to be fair, there are husbands that get 'em too

there was this loving 10k square foot R/C shop in a strip mall next to where I worked in Bentonville, it never got any customers but like 2 or 3 brotruck buddies of the owners and they'd just crack beers out in the back parking lot and drive nitro cars off pallet ramps

Graff
May 10, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i thought the point was to have a plausible way to launder bungs. "i cant possibly accept this hefty bribe myself, but if you were to buy this weird creepy nightmare doll for five grand from my wifes artisanal creepy nightmare doll shop thatd be fantastic"

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
ugh these fights over minimum wage are so idiotic as they dance around the real issue of wage stagnation. also has anyone else noticed that references to 'tough economic times' are apparently permanent now despite corporate cash hoards and rising growth. its almost like it feels tough to most people because wage fuckin stagnation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Enderzero posted:

ugh these fights over minimum wage are so idiotic as they dance around the real issue of wage stagnation. also has anyone else noticed that references to 'tough economic times' are apparently permanent now despite corporate cash hoards and rising growth. its almost like it feels tough to most people because wage fuckin stagnation

the average hourly wage peaked in 1973

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Geisladisk posted:

feels good man, im gonna have a hearing aid in my 40s probably, oh and i got tinnitus in both ears

you gonna get that?

is someone going to answer that drat phone?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Enderzero posted:

the median adjusted wage for a family has gone up $200 since 1990. a house I'm looking at went from $35k to $140k in that time.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Citizen Tayne posted:

the median adjusted wage for a family has gone up $200 since 1990. a house I'm looking at went from $35k to $140k in that time.

and of course that's as you had one earner households often turning into two earners so it's even more dire. i swear you can point to 1980 as the exact point the screaming downward turn started

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the important years are '71 and '73. average workers have been in freefall for forty years, no bottom in sight

• 1971: the u.s. ends the gold standard
  • 1973: peak hourly wage

(gold standards are stupid, but the important thing is the context: the u.s. ended the gold standard against its will because the government was insolvent. helloooooo inflation)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the inflationary pressure had built up for years due to refusal to devalue, leading to a massive spurt.

also we weren't really on the gold standard in any practical sense for 40 years then, it was essentially a legal fiction.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the important years are '71 and '73. average workers have been in freefall for forty years, no bottom in sight

• 1971: the u.s. ends the gold standard
  • 1973: peak hourly wage

(gold standards are stupid, but the important thing is the context: the u.s. ended the gold standard against its will because the government was insolvent. helloooooo inflation)

i should have said inflection point probably. i know it started earlier but something about the start of reagan and the increasing sophistication of republicans and their messaging, the me decade, acceleration of union destruction, etc feels like the real start of the rollercoaster

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Enderzero posted:

nah no one's even paying attention to that. it's tough economic times because the unemployment rate is still higher than it was pre-recession, the absolute number of people who have jobs is probably still lower than it was in 2008 (private job numbers finally reached 2008 levels a few months ago, but all those public jobs that got cut aren't coming back anytime soon), and most of the new post-2008 jobs were low-wage shitwork

forget stagnation, a lot of people have seen their wages actively decrease

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

1971-73 was when it started for everyone else, 1980 was when it started for white people

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Main Paineframe posted:

nah no one's even paying attention to that. it's tough economic times because the unemployment rate is still higher than it was pre-recession, the absolute number of people who have jobs is probably still lower than it was in 2008 (private job numbers finally reached 2008 levels a few months ago, but all those public jobs that got cut aren't coming back anytime soon), and most of the new post-2008 jobs were low-wage shitwork

ah, but average income is still going up! a rising tide lifts all yachts.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Main Paineframe posted:

ya i know, i meant more in the popular view and not the actual widening gap between economic winners and the rest. journalists still love to lead stories about these tough economic times, ignoring the fact that it's only tough for the workers - many parts of the economy are actually doing fine now but if the media paints too rosy a picture people may start wondering why they aren't seeing any improvements personally. the times aren't actually tough in the sense that everyone is struggling; workers are just getting hosed

papa_november posted:

1971-73 was when it started for everyone else, 1980 was when it started for white people

stealin' this

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've gotten a cumulative 2% cost of living raise over five years.

during which there was official inflation of 10%.

gently caress republicans is what I have to say about that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I work in the private sector and have been getting 1%-1.5% per year if anything

at least we get bonuses unlike you government folks

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

qirex posted:

I work in the private sector and have been getting 1%-1.5% per year if anything

at least we get bonuses unlike you government folks

Same. My promotion raise was a whopping 5%, at a company that can presumably afford much more.

My friend who went into higher education (in Wisconsin no less) was getting something on the order of 20% raises yearly but still left for somewhere else that pays him more :|

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

1980 was when Americans had a chice between jimmy "it's time to tighten our belts and make tough decisions" carter and Ronald "gently caress that we have credit and can bomb brown people" Reagan, and we chose the easy way out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Enderzero posted:

it's almost as if the rich are poo poo and should be dragged into the streets and shot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

squatting in a boomer mcmansion and hiding from bank officer-led militarized police is the New Normal in 2030

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's almost as if the rich are poo poo and should be dragged into the streets and shot

hang every banker from the nearest streetpole

vote from the rooftops

death to america

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bassguitarhero posted:

1980 was when Americans had a chice between jimmy "it's time to tighten our belts and make tough decisions" carter and Ronald "gently caress that we have credit and can bomb brown people" Reagan, and we chose the easy way out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hang every banker from the nearest streetpole

vote from the rooftops

death to america

bankers are just there because the wealthy don't want to manage their own money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

the inflationary pressure had built up for years due to refusal to devalue, leading to a massive spurt.

also we weren't really on the gold standard in any practical sense for 40 years then, it was essentially a legal fiction.

in a bretton woods context, these two statements are mutually exclusive

wikipedia is not a substitute for an economics education

Graff
May 10, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

:agreed:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in a bretton woods context, these two statements are mutually exclusive

wikipedia is not a substitute for an economics education

bretton woods was a way for europeans and other conquered people to pretend like all power hadnt fallen to the us (and ussr) post world war ii

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i make $0

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 15, 2017

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in 2008 i was making 26 a year
in 2011 i was making 52 a year
in 2015 i make 87k a year after cash compensation and cash benefits

it's possible, guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi