Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
On the one hand, hearing Tom do an ad feels kind of dirty.

On the other hand, I am so glad the show has it's first sponsor, because it means the show is going to start making money and sustaining itself, which is a thing that needs to happen.

Also, should we change the thread title at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It wouldn't be a podcast without a squarespace ad.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I missed the episode, did he do one ad up front then nothing? I can certainly tolerate that and he deserves to be paid for doing the show, but I'm not a fan podcasts that interject an ad every 15 minutes and I think it would be especially bad if that happened on the best show given how free flowing it is.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Devil Tesla posted:

It wouldn't be a podcast without a squarespace ad.

Gary the Squirrels Squarespace Plugs are the best Squarespace Plugs.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

I knew that he would eventually be getting the usual podcast sponsors like Squarespace, Nature Box, Me Undies, etc, and I don't fault him at all. He deserves to get paid. Now the plugging of Jeff Bridges' album was weird as hell. It's like if he started shilling Ringo paintings.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I knew that he would eventually be getting the usual podcast sponsors like Squarespace, Nature Box, Me Undies, etc, and I don't fault him at all. He deserves to get paid. Now the plugging of Jeff Bridges' album was weird as hell. It's like if he started shilling Ringo paintings.

That's what Squarespace's ad is now. :-/

Poor Tom.

(Though I have to admit, I'd love to hear him try to sell Ringo paintings.)

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

Yeah. Jeff Bridges' album sounded exactly like something he'd make fun of. It's the type of detail he and Wurster'd put it in a call.
Still, all about Tom Gettin Paid!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

On the other hand, I am so glad the show has it's first sponsor, because it means the show is going to start making money and sustaining itself, which is a thing that needs to happen.

Also, should we change the thread title at this point?

That's fine since the ban was like years ago

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Devil Tesla posted:

God that guest call kind of sucked, and I normally really like those guys so that was a bummer.
I dunno, I thought it was sort of standard for them. Like it was Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington doing their shtick, I thought it was pretty enjoyable in the same way that On Cinema at The Cinema is

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Squarespace ads were kind of inevitable but I guess part of me was still hoping the Best Show could pay the bills by advertising awesome box sets or something. Oh well.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Illinois Smith posted:

Squarespace ads were kind of inevitable but I guess part of me was still hoping the Best Show could pay the bills by advertising awesome box sets or something. Oh well.

Listen, if the Bombcast is any indication Tom could potentially have the best podcast commercials out there.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mico posted:

Listen, if the Bombcast is any indication Tom could potentially have the best podcast commercials out there.

I have this mental image of Tom plugging Stamps.com by going on a tirade about the weirdos at the Post Office (read: AP Mike).

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Poor Skip. Those are some lovely sounding tattoos. Loved Tom's impatience with the calls towards the end of the show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jello man :allears:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love Jello Man but Tom goes so easy on him because he's KV's brother. He would definitely get ragged on at least as bad as Fredricks if he wasn't.

Speaking of fredricks I hope he comes back soon.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No matter what the reason, the results of going so easy on Jello Man are really funny and it would probably be less so if Tom let him have it. He doesn't need to be pushed into talking about weird crap, you just have to turn the spicket on and incredible things come out.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
We should all go easy on Jello Man. He's a modern day folk hero.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I have to admit, I find the whole Jello Man and KV thing to be pretty unpleasant. It feels out of character for the show - it's too kind of frattish in its humor. That said, I do like that Tom treats Jello Man like he's sweetly retarded - that hint of concern and caring admonishment.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

well I for one like Jello Man and the way he makes sure you know every time he's attempting a joke by saying "if you will"

(he's a lovable dope. Kurt Vile on the other hand is just a dude who makes great music imho.)

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I have to admit, I find the whole Jello Man and KV thing to be pretty unpleasant. It feels out of character for the show - it's too kind of frattish in its humor. That said, I do like that Tom treats Jello Man like he's sweetly retarded - that hint of concern and caring admonishment.

"You saound steupid."
\

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

:toot: ~*~ half hour of power ~*~ :sax:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It was loving amazing.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
Tom played a part in saving David Pajo's life last night.

He's removed his Facebook post asking people close to him to reach out. Class act.

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick
Yeah, the Half Hour of Power was a great idea. I really expected the show to have lost something over the hiatus, but I was wrong. Wish the callers were better, but they were usually pretty bad on the radio, too.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://blog.scharpling.com/february-23-2015/

Oof. I just want to reach through the Internet and give Tom a hug. :/

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I know. The poor guy.

I bought some books from him and now I will buy more books as soon as possible.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CaptainPsyko posted:

http://blog.scharpling.com/february-23-2015/

Oof. I just want to reach through the Internet and give Tom a hug. :/
that's so horrible, I had no idea about his grandma passing too. I don't envy him the pressure of having to perform on a weekly basis, I just hope he's able to weather the storm and find a way out of that depression.

James Dente
Nov 29, 2003
Awful Things Ate My Head
It kind of makes sense now why Tom's not willing to take donations or do Kickstarter/Patreon stuff if he's really that close to stopping doing the show. Imagine dealing with a clusterfuck of FOTs all wanting their money back.

I'm also guessing his father passing on means he's taken on being a caregiver for his mother, if you read between the lines of what he wrote.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
poo poo, just the image of him crying in his car before he goes into do the show... :(

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Asterios posted:

I know. The poor guy.

I bought some books from him and now I will buy more books as soon as possible.

:(

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

this is really lovely, I hope Tom gets better.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It's been a lousy goddamn week for funny people I like.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Despite the personal troubles Tom is coping with the show seems to be picking up steam. He had Kristen Schaal last week and John Oliver this week. I personally could listen to 3 hours of just Tom but am pretty sure this does, in fact, bring the dummies into the fold like he says.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
FOR loving REAL. The wall of comedy will never be toppled.

I couldn't catch the whole show but John Oliver and Tom really worked well together and consequently spiralled me into another day long binge of Last Week Tonight YouTube clips. It was a good day.

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 12, 2015

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This week's episode was great. I love Tom's new no bullshit attitude with callers because last week's callers were awful (generally)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
But it almost caused him to hang up on a returning Maple Syrup Mussolini!

Makes me wonder what Petey's up to these days.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

But it almost caused him to hang up on a returning Maple Syrup Mussolini!

Makes me wonder what Petey's up to these days.

I pulled up a message board post allegedly from him that explains his departure from the show here, kind of a depressing read:
http://www.c-town.us/chinatown/index.php?action=printpage;topic=1020.0

Is anyone attending the scharpling and wurster live show in Chicago?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Unbootable posted:

I pulled up a message board post allegedly from him that explains his departure from the show here, kind of a depressing read:

Is anyone attending the scharpling and wurster live show in Chicago?

I am, been looking forward to it since it was announced. Weird that Chicago was the one that took forever comparatively to sell out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I am so sad that they did the NY shows on weeknights when I was on the road for work and couldn't come home to go see them. I really hope that one or more got recorded and gets released as a premium episode or a "Let Tom Have A Night Off" episode at some point in the future.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I am, been looking forward to it since it was announced. Weird that Chicago was the one that took forever comparatively to sell out.

Not sure why this is so weird. I mean, I know there's a big following in Chicago, but the show was literally on the air in NY for a decade, which matters more than you'd think. Also, NY is like 4 times the size of Chicago.

Meanwhile, the LA venue is a lot smaller, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Unbootable posted:

Well, that sucks. Although I'm sure he was overreacting quite a bit there. It's not like Tom never made fun of him when he was 12.