Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't understand what Bendis has been doing and at this point I honestly just think they're very lazy, very decompressed stories with no long game or planning. There are some good moments, some good ideas and I actually like most of the mutants he came up with but they're not good comics to me. He banked a ton on nostalgia and re-using things from older stories, sometimes panel for panel.

If it was just some mook writing the books you wouldn't even give them a second pass. There would be posts about how third tier comic book writer Johnny McRib was just re-using the O5 out of creative desperation and then the books would be quietly canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

At the very least it was better than his latter-day Avengers run.

Well of course. You've got to be pretty godawful to be worse than latter-day Bendis Avengers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's some obvious signs that nothing is really planned.

Like take Emma Frost losing her telepathy. The Cuckoos bring her into the Hivemind and let her use them anyway whenever she needs to, so that was obviously just done for the hell of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really hope the rumors of them shelving the X-men referenced in the article are just fan panic.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rick posted:

I really hope the rumors of them shelving the X-men referenced in the article are just fan panic.

It is, the main rumor is that the next run will be written by Humphries (not great but hopefully better?)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have really tried to like All-New and Uncanny X-Men and for the most part I have. I've just felt like (especially over the last 6 months) that both books have just been spinning their wheels. I mean my gently caress only roughly 4 hours has passed in Uncanny over the last 7 months and I've totally forgotten how the All-New X-Men ended up in the Ultimates universe.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I haven't bought comics in a while but the last ones I was trying to hold on to were All New and Uncanny because I thought A). It's a good setup and looked to be a big change of pace from normal and B). I thought Bendis was a guy who could craft very good stories and characters when he is fresh and inspired. But, no. Not this time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, I find it kind of hilarious that Bendis brought in 'no more timetravel' with Age of Ultron, then completely ignored that idea for his run on X-Men, except for the O5, because otherwise they should have sent them back once it was clear that 'poo poo, if they die here their present selves fade out BTTF-style'.

Plus he stuck X-23 with them because...reasons? and then she dated Cyclops, and when he hosed off to space pretty much turned around and hopped into bed with Warren. I mean I guess i'm grateful she wasn't stuck in Avengers Undercover, but dammit, what was the point of bringing her back to the X-men? Why Cyclops' branch (other than 'that's what bendis is writing and he wants to play with her')?

But credit where it's due, he put all the toys back in the box when he was finally done on Avengers like a champ. So I guess we have that to look forward to. Bye, past X-Men!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X23 was added to the team because she was the two things that could improve the dynamic of the original five: Another female, a Wolverine. There really was no better choice for a sixth member.

EDIT: I also hope the original X-Men stick around. I wouldn't even mind if they became the only versions of those characters after Secret Wars. I'd love to see some stories involving them without the fish out of water aspect.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 5, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The fish out of water is the only thing they really have going for them.

They are just kind of bland without it.

Not the worst sin granted.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

HorseRenoir posted:

It is, the main rumor is that the next run will be written by Humphries (not great but hopefully better?)

Uncanny X-Force sucked, and I don't know why they'd hand their flagship X-book to someone whose book folded fairly quickly.

Hopeless, on the other hand....

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Weren't there also rumors Spurrier is taking the main books?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Probably Magic posted:

Uncanny X-Force sucked, and I don't know why they'd hand their flagship X-book to someone whose book folded fairly quickly.

Hopeless, on the other hand....

NO. NOT HIM.

Edit: Pretty sure Avengers Arena & Undercover folded pretty drat quick, and that's a stain that isn't easily washed away. Dunno how Spider-woman is doing, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

NO. NOT HIM.
His X-Force was good, sorry.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

HorseRenoir posted:

Humphries is quite possibly the worst writer Marvel regularly employs so lol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Die Laughing posted:

X23 was added to the team because she was the two things that could improve the dynamic of the original five: Another female, a Wolverine. There really was no better choice for a sixth member.

EDIT: I also hope the original X-Men stick around. I wouldn't even mind if they became the only versions of those characters after Secret Wars. I'd love to see some stories involving them without the fish out of water aspect.

I have a soft spot for the original X-Men so this wouldn't be the end of the world to me. So many years of nothing for Iceman wouldn't be missed, Jean without the baggage would be nice, and Cyclops as Magneto Jr. is dumb to me. It's actually the work with Beast and Warren, who were arguably the worst O5 characters that I think it'd be a shame to wipe away.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
In the end you will wish we had cancelled your precious X-Men. Muh-wah-ha-ha.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rick posted:

I have a soft spot for the original X-Men so this wouldn't be the end of the world to me. So many years of nothing for Iceman wouldn't be missed, Jean without the baggage would be nice, and Cyclops as Magneto Jr. is dumb to me. It's actually the work with Beast and Warren, who were arguably the worst O5 characters that I think it'd be a shame to wipe away.

Right, but it's not like they wouldn't be taken in similar directions eventually. Going blue was the best thing to happen to those two, and I wouldn't mind reading those stories with a modern take.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What's up with current Angel? I liked X-Force badass Angel but the version at the Wolverine school was depressing to me. Young Warren's unhappiness with how he ended up was the most accurate thing ever, but I don't know what happened since then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He dies at the end of that X-Force run and returns with no memories and thinking he's a real angel.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

What's up with current Angel? I liked X-Force badass Angel but the version at the Wolverine school was depressing to me. Young Warren's unhappiness with how he ended up was the most accurate thing ever, but I don't know what happened since then.

Reborn Warren was an ongoing plot of Aaron's that kind of got swept aside when Aaron left WatXM because it just got lost in the rush to end his run, I guess.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

NO. NOT HIM.

Edit: Pretty sure Avengers Arena & Undercover folded pretty drat quick, and that's a stain that isn't easily washed away. Dunno how Spider-woman is doing, though.

I mean, he won't get it either because Cable & X-Force died too, but C&XF was a drat good book. Seriously, forget what happened on the Avengers stuff and read it with an open mind.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

While this is true, the real problem with X-23's addition to the team is that X-23's last appearance prior to ANXM (barring Avengers Arena which I think we all want to forget) was her telling Emma Frost that she would kill her the next time she saw her during AvX. Yet now they live together and that's just peachy.

But hey when's a pesky thing like continuity or prior characterization gotten in the way of a masterful story like the one we're reading no- :barf:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think you can make that argument with AvX as your source.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

It was in one of the tie-ins that was actually really well written, not the awful Bendis series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It was Avengers Academy that it happened in, it was a pretty good issue (and series overall) but I guess Marvel wants everyone to forget that series ever happened. Hell I don't even think Avengers Academy is even recognized as existing anymore as an institution.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

It was in one of the tie-ins that was actually really well written, not the awful Bendis series.

Yeah, that drat Bendis and his awful AvX series! It's not like it was actually written along with people like Jason Aaron, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, and Johnathan Hickman!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Some people are speculating G Willow Wilson might be getting Uncanny. There's going to be a book announcement for her this week on The View apparently. It makes sense they'd announce Bendis leaving first and she's hinted at writing an X book after her current run is over on X-Men.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 5, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would buy that.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Is her current X-Men run any good? I dropped that book after it got super boring, but Wilson is pretty great generally and is killing it on Ms Marvel. Worth picking up again?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
There's only been one issue so far. It was an okay issue, but it's still early yet to tell if it's really gonna click.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm actually thinking it'll be Willow on X-Force and not Uncanny now, Marvel put out a press release titled "Marvel Makes a Forceful Announcement on The View" for tomorrow

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

While this is true, the real problem with X-23's addition to the team is that X-23's last appearance prior to ANXM (barring Avengers Arena which I think we all want to forget) was her telling Emma Frost that she would kill her the next time she saw her during AvX. Yet now they live together and that's just peachy.

But hey when's a pesky thing like continuity or prior characterization gotten in the way of a masterful story like the one we're reading no- :barf:

Because never in the history of comics has Wolverine threatened to kill someone who was his ally (possibly while popping his claws to emphasis the point) and then refused to follow up on that threat.

That being said, while I understand why people didn't like Avengers Arena, I think Avengers Undercover was decent. Like I don't think X-23 would have been believable as someone who would be taken in by the badguys, but it would have given her something to do, unlike in Bendis X-Men where she's just THERE.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Because never in the history of comics has Wolverine threatened to kill someone who was his ally (possibly while popping his claws to emphasis the point) and then refused to follow up on that threat.
Especially after he spends months being tortured in a book that also tortured us so I know everyone meta-comprehends how loving sick of that poo poo Lara was when she got there. Maybe her top priority had changed from murder Emma Frost to do something not horrible.

It doesn't really matter because a component of the discussion seems to hinge a little too heavily on writing Lara perfectly in-sync with the given audience's perceived outcomes, and any book that instantly doesn't is poo poo. I'd be the first to admit Bendis had a loose to terrible handle on some of the characters or canon but then, it is Bendis...

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Wilson's an okay writer. I don't think Ms. Marvel is particularly great (but not BAD, just middle of the road) and it just honestly reads like a somewhat dull attempt at an early 2000s style Marvel book in tone filtered through Tumblr-esque goofy poo poo but I guess "eh" is a lot better than the shitshow the X-Men books have been post-Messiah War.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If Wilson was on Uncanny, would that make her the first female writer of the book? I can see that being a huge View worthy announcement.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

RevKrule posted:

If Wilson was on Uncanny, would that make her the first female writer of the book? I can see that being a huge View worthy announcement.

I was thinking that Louise Simonson must have written at least a one-off issue of Uncanny, but no, closest she came was being its editor.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

RevKrule posted:

Majorie Liu wrote a run on X-Men run quite recently.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Majorie Liu wrote a run on X-Men run quite recently.

She wrote Adjectiveless but never Uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

I'm actually thinking it'll be Willow on X-Force and not Uncanny now, Marvel put out a press release titled "Marvel Makes a Forceful Announcement on The View" for tomorrow

Well Force makes me think it's something Star Wars related. I don't think X-Force is really worthy of TV announcement but who knows.

• Locked thread