Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bendis is leaving the X-Men books soon, what franchise is left for him to ruin?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, I wonder what he's going to do for Marvel next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Regular Spider-Man?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes please.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If there's a God up there, please let that happen. Especially with Miles getting folded in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deadpool posted:

Yes please.

No. gently caress no. That means Slott gets something else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
From what I've read, KSD wasn't treated very well by the powers that be at Marvel, and she'll be leaving Captain Marvel soon. I'd love to see Wilson on it, but she's got some Xmen related thing in the pipe. Maybe Duggin and that crew taking over? If they can't have Hawkeye, they can have Captain Marvel.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Bendis will get Avengers, clearly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No. gently caress no. That means Slott gets something else.

Let him. He's made me hate Spider-man for the last few years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Isn't Bendis one of the few Marvel creatives who still is in favour of the Spider-marriage? I would be okay with this. also he's one of the few guys with sufficient clout at Marvel to unseat Slott from the Spider-Throne.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Do people not generally like Bendis on Uncanny? I just finished reading the first 25 issues and I've really liked it.

(note: I may not be the best judge because the only other X-Men comics I've read are the first 200 or so issues of the original Uncanny).

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gaz-L posted:

Regular Spider-Man?

The world is not that kind. Bendis is a company man and Slott would hissy-fit his way out the door over it considering his personal goal is to write more Spider-Man issues then Bendis.

Bendis is just going to keep writing GoTG since it is now a big property.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

Do people not generally like Bendis on Uncanny? I just finished reading the first 25 issues and I've really liked it.

(note: I may not be the best judge because the only other X-Men comics I've read are the first 200 or so issues of the original Uncanny).

He's not terrible but he's taken decompressed story telling to an all new level. There's maybe 10 issues of story in that first 25, massively stretched out. I mean, did we really need a two part, $10 story about where EVA went for three pages?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

From what I've read, KSD wasn't treated very well by the powers that be at Marvel, and she'll be leaving Captain Marvel soon. I'd love to see Wilson on it, but she's got some Xmen related thing in the pipe. Maybe Duggin and that crew taking over? If they can't have Hawkeye, they can have Captain Marvel.

I was kind of hoping they'd give Avengers to Duggan but that's probably not going to happen. I've tried reading KSD on several titles because everyone seems to like her but the only thing I've ever liked was her stuff on Avengers Assemble. And even then only the low key moments. I just don't think she's a very good writer but I realize I'm probably in the minority there and that's fine. I really do look forward to someone else taking over Captain Marvel though and hopefully doing something good with it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

KSD is a great writer of people and even dialogue but the plots and the bad guys are just boring. She did an arc of Avenging Spider-Man before Capt Marvel launched and the banter between Peter and Carol was just awesome. But I couldn't tell you a drat thing about the actual plot, the bad guy, or what happened otherwise.

Hell, the best plot story I've ever read of hers was her last Avengers Assemble, and that was co-written by Ellis.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Die Laughing posted:

I know that having someone else plot Captain Marvel may be a risk to the legitimacy of the book, but I think that would cover Kelly Sue's weaknesses. Her dialogue is great, but I'm not paying for heroes to just banter. Looking at you too, Bendis.

I'd check it out again if they did. Her ear for dialogue is fine but goddamn, she can't plot an interesting or convincing story for poo poo, just one meandering set of garbage after another.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Is it so wrong that after Bendis leaves to get Brian Poshein on X-Men? His and Duggans run on Deadpool has been amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

Is it so wrong that after Bendis leaves to get Brian Poshein on X-Men? His and Duggans run on Deadpool has been amazing.

My money is on Charles Soule.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

He'll probably just stay on GotG to free up room for his Powers TV work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

He'll probably just stay on GotG to free up room for his Powers TV work.

Yeah, but what's he going to do 6 months later when that's cancelled?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but what's he going to do 6 months later when that's cancelled?

I thought it looked hilarious! It's a comedy, right? :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I was kind of hoping they'd give Avengers to Duggan but that's probably not going to happen. I've tried reading KSD on several titles because everyone seems to like her but the only thing I've ever liked was her stuff on Avengers Assemble. And even then only the low key moments. I just don't think she's a very good writer but I realize I'm probably in the minority there and that's fine. I really do look forward to someone else taking over Captain Marvel though and hopefully doing something good with it.

I don't think you're in the minority, at least here. I struggle to think of something she's done that has been unequivocally great, and Avengers Assemble is probably the closest, and even that had some real crappy issues.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Carol and Peter, I love that when they first meet, she's doing undercover work dressed like a young mom on their way to the gym. She's got a yoga pants on and a pink ball cap. The 2000s Ms Marvel series had a lot of weird stuff like that. It does have the cool part were she tears Gargan out of the Venom symbiot though.

I really want to know how long its going to take for Kamala and Carol to meet. At the rate she's going, Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl Ultimate Team Up will happen before it.

I'd love that book.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 5, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

From what I've read, KSD wasn't treated very well by the powers that be at Marvel, and she'll be leaving Captain Marvel soon.

Wasn't the only reason Captain Marvel went into space because editorial said "She's on the Guardians now" and pretty much forced it on her? Maybe I'm misremembering. But if so it's hilarious because she "joined the Guardians" and I think she's been in all of 2 issues of GOTG.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TwoPair posted:

Wasn't the only reason Captain Marvel went into space because editorial said "She's on the Guardians now" and pretty much forced it on her? Maybe I'm misremembering. But if so it's hilarious because she "joined the Guardians" and I think she's been in all of 2 issues of GOTG.

Maybe, but her stories on Earth under KSD weren't really interesting enough to make me angry at all if it was the case. On the other hand, the story when Carol returned to NYC for Christmas was really good.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Suben posted:

Ant-Man is a good book and I like the idea of Scott and Grizzly as two down on their luck schlubs trying to make a living.

Also the entire bit with the billboard was funny.

Sue.

Yeah, I really like it. I'm always a sucker for Marvel's B-Listers, or hell a few C-Listers if Grizzly is any indication, and this book is delivering them in spades. It's actually pretty funny too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

My money is on Charles Soule.

Soule is writing three Inhumans ongoings as well as rumored to be doing Daredevil after Waid. I don't think he can fit X-Men into it. Plus he had that list he posted of everything he was doing this year and I don't think any of the descriptions sounded very X-Men like at all.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TNG posted:

Sue.

Yeah, I really like it. I'm always a sucker for Marvel's B-Listers, or hell a few C-Listers if Grizzly is any indication, and this book is delivering them in spades. It's actually pretty funny too.

I never got into Superior Foes, but Spencer does write pretty jerk characters in Ant-Man so I'm enjoying it.

I like Lang in Bendis' Alias and Fraction's FF, but I always felt like he was just a bit too good and Ant-Man is a character that should be a tad more gray than others. So I'm enjoying the ride so far.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm glad Spencer seems to have moved past his weakness of introducing tons of ongoing plots early in his runs before resolving other ones.

His Ultimate X-Men run felt like the first issues of six separate storylines and I don't think most of the plots got picked up by Wood when he took over.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so speaking of spider-stuff, if I want to get basically caught up on what's what, where should I start?

I know vague things like the Doc Ock spider-man series thing happening due to crossover activity, but I haven't read an actual Spider-Man comic since i read all the really old stuff on the Marvel Unlimited a while back (I think I was up to maybe the early 70's somewhere around when Gwen Stacy died).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At this point you might be best to wait until after Secret Wars, honestly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I honestly didn't want to read a single thing Spencer wrote after his terrible Ultimate X-Men run. It was one of the only things I'd read by him at the time and I put off reading anything else by him after that. I finally relented and read Avengers World and liked his take on those characters a lot and then read Superior Foes which was actually a lot of fun. And I'm loving the new Ant-Man book so far.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Speaking of X stuff, if an enterprising individual with Marvel Unlimited was wanting to catch up on that, where would be a good place to start?

I was looking at AvX, and associated acts, but to prepare for that I found myself wanting to read Fear Itself first, which to prep for that I was queuing up the beginning of the Heroic Age books.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

slut chan posted:

Speaking of X stuff, if an enterprising individual with Marvel Unlimited was wanting to catch up on that, where would be a good place to start?

I was looking at AvX, and associated acts, but to prepare for that I found myself wanting to read Fear Itself first, which to prep for that I was queuing up the beginning of the Heroic Age books.

Keiron Gillen's run is pretty good place to start.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Soule is writing three Inhumans ongoings as well as rumored to be doing Daredevil after Waid. I don't think he can fit X-Men into it. Plus he had that list he posted of everything he was doing this year and I don't think any of the descriptions sounded very X-Men like at all.

Ah, I thought he was bailing on at least on of the Inhumans books when he started the next one.

Well that settles it, it's going to be Slott and we all loving know it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Ah, I thought he was bailing on at least on of the Inhumans books when he started the next one.

Well that settles it, it's going to be Slott and we all loving know it.

If it gets Slott off Spider-man and Silver Surfer I am all for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Nah, he'll stay on ASM just to rub salt in the wound. Bendis is going to launch a new Power Pack series.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i come from long into the future. it is a bad future. slott/land runaways

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

slut chan posted:

I'd probably give Schism a look. Then just read Astonishing X-Men from issue 44 - when Pak's run starts - until the end, maybe skip whatever X-Termination poo poo happens unless you feel like reading X-Treme X-Men too (I liked that one, it was weird as hell and fun)

I know All-New and Uncanny are flagships but whatever, who cares. Read Aaron's WATXM. gently caress Bendis' stuff. Who cares. I like the stuff I mentioned a lot more as far as X-Books go. :shrug:

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

bobkatt013 posted:

How much longer until Slott gets to say he's had the longest run of all time on Amazing Spider-Man? Because I honestly can't see him giving up his death grip on the book until he has that record under his belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ein Bear posted:

How much longer until Slott gets to say he's had the longest run of all time on Amazing Spider-Man? Because I honestly can't see him giving up his death grip on the book until he has that record under his belt.

Stan Lee wrote it for about nine years (1962 to 1971) and Michelinie for seven (1987 to 1994).

Slott has been on the book since 2007, but he only became the sole writer in 2011; before that he was part of the rotating BND team alongside Gale, Guggenheim, DeZago, Van Lente and Wells (and later Kelly, Stern and Waid).

If you count USM and its successor titles, then Bendis has written it continuously since 2000 (which puts him just in front of Peter David and Cary Bates and immediately behind Chris Claremont and Marv Wolfman for the longest continuous run by one writer on a superhero book).

• Locked thread