Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

A few random gripes, wondering if mods can help.

1. I don't really understand how Alchemy is supposed to be played. My strategy is to just pick up random poo poo I find in the forest and eat it to find out one of its effects. Hopefully I eat through enough random poo poo to find effects particularly relevant to my character build. In 50+ hours of playing with Morrowloot+SPERG+etc, I've found exactly two alchemy recipes in the wild and none of them were relevant. After collecting enough random ingredients, I hop on the alchemy table and mix together enough random poo poo to hopefully get something viable, and maybe some of those potions will actually be useful. Let's say I'm looking for poison for my bow/thief dude, even if I find the right ingredients, I don't really know how useful each potion is. I know that I have ~200 hp, but I don't know how much enemies have. Does this mean that a poison poition of 50 damage is good? I don't know. Besides, given how leveling works, I don't know if the -50 poison is going to one-shot the enemy or not until I actually fire it. Even if I settle on the right ingredients, do I just wander the world keeping a mental checklist in mind hoping I bump into the appropriate ingredients? Someone tell me I'm thinking about this wrong, because alchemy just seems like a total shot in the dark and kind of tedious.

If there's a mod that addresses this, cool. I'd also like something that limits how spammy you can get with potions.

2. How can I tell if someone I meet in the wild is hostile or not? UI doesn't tell me anything, so my strategy is to run up to them and see if they yell at me. If they do, I reload a quicksave.

3. I have a hard time ascertaining threat level. I know intuitively that trolls are more dangerous than wolves, but I can't tell the same thing with regards to bandit/outlaw/chief/etc. My current strategy is to hit them once and gauge how much damage I dealt. If it's a hair's width of a health bar, I reload. Is there a better way of doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
1. This has largely been my experience with alchemy as well. Eat random poo poo you find, stir it together without any rhyme or reason until something cool happens :catdrugs:

2. Why do you reload from a save? If they yell at you to gently caress off, the same effect can be had by loving off.

3. That sounds like pretty much how I'd handle it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually, it could be even easier than that: I'm pretty sure that any esp tha contains only GMSTs can be replaced by a simple ini file.

Like BSAs, Skyrim will load any INI file that had the same name as an esp in your load order. Just put those GMSTs into an ini file and name it the same as an ESP file.

I'm not sure how an .esp and an .ini together are better than just an .esp? Or are you saying to pick a random .esp to make it work? Seems like either way, if I'm making a super-esp anyway, throwing those values into it along with all the other stuff won't hurt anything.

Bouchacha posted:

2. How can I tell if someone I meet in the wild is hostile or not? UI doesn't tell me anything, so my strategy is to run up to them and see if they yell at me. If they do, I reload a quicksave.

3. I have a hard time ascertaining threat level. I know intuitively that trolls are more dangerous than wolves, but I can't tell the same thing with regards to bandit/outlaw/chief/etc. My current strategy is to hit them once and gauge how much damage I dealt. If it's a hair's width of a health bar, I reload. Is there a better way of doing this?

This mod just got invented like a week ago!

:siren: It doesn't actually work until you rename the files (.esp, .bsa, .bsl) so they all have the exact same name. Then it works great!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's even better than I imagined: The head isn't disabled, it's actually shrunken to a single infinitesimal point.

Back when my saved game still had a lot of script lag before its immersion mod enema, I would actually see my character's head disappear for a split second before it changed to first person.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fina posted:

I believe it is the JaySuS Swords mod. That mod has a lot of good looking weapons but the balance is a little off. The damage numbers all seem to be fine, but the crafting recipes, weight, and prices seem fairly exploitable for min/maxing. Like the Smallsword which is crafted with very cheap materials but has a value rivaling dwarven weapons and is excellent for leveling up your smithing. If you're a min/maxer, of course.

You may be right. That mod has some beautiful, awesome swords, and some that are pretty awfully textured.

Is there a convenient, safe way to rip such objects out of an ESP? Would doing so crash my game?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

How can I determine which mod added the "Hunting Knife" in? It's a 35gp, 1 weight item that's common as dirt, and quickly became "always pickup this loot you min/maxer". It's currently destroying my immersion, because even though I'm a min/maxer, I want to pretend that I'm not. :qq:

Is there an easy way in TES5Edit to find and remove the offensive little thing?

The economy is broken anyway so who cares? When you're picking up Glass Armor and other such high leveled loot, that knife isn't even that impressive.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do you not just eat the first of every ingredient you find to learn one of its effects? I thought that's what everyone did? And then once your alchemy gets to a certain level eating an ingredient reveals the first two of its effects, then the first three, etc, I forgot what the level thresholds are.

And once you've played for a while you can't help remembering some of them from game to game, like Fortify Smithing comes on Glowing Mushrooms, Blisterwort, Sabre Cat Teeth and Spriggan Sap.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 3, 2015

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Entropic posted:

Do you not just eat the first of every ingredient you find to learn one of its effects? I thought that's what everyone did? And then once your alchemy gets to a certain level eating an ingredient reveals the first two of its effects, then the first three, etc, I forgot what the level thresholds are.

And once you've played for a while you can't help remembering some of them from game to game, like Fortify Smithing comes on Glowing Mushrooms, Blisterwort, Sabre Cat Teeth and Spriggan Sap.

that's how it works in SPERG
in the vanilla game, you have to invest perk points in the alchemy tree to get learn the second plus effect by eating

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

You may be right. That mod has some beautiful, awesome swords, and some that are pretty awfully textured.

Is there a convenient, safe way to rip such objects out of an ESP? Would doing so crash my game?

I think you can just open up the esp in the Creation Kit and delete the item. The only way that might cause problems is if you have another mod that depends on Jaysus in some way, like a dynamic patch from Lootification or PerMa or something. Even then, I'm not sure it would be anything serious.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh, right.

I've been using SPERG so long I forget what vanilla is like. It's like trying to remember life without SkyUI at this point.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This mod just got invented like a week ago!

:siren: It doesn't actually work until you rename the files (.esp, .bsa, .bsl) so they all have the exact same name. Then it works great!

Hot drat! Someone read my mind.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Entropic posted:

Learn Alchemy From Recipes makes more sense to me. But is there something that would increase the number of recipes found?

Swift Potion Reborn would help in streamlining potion use, but is there something that reduces how spammy potions are? It's kind of silly that you can pause mid-combat and gorge yourself on restore health until your eyes bleed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bouchacha posted:

Learn Alchemy From Recipes makes more sense to me. But is there something that would increase the number of recipes found?

Swift Potion Reborn would help in streamlining potion use, but is there something that reduces how spammy potions are? It's kind of silly that you can pause mid-combat and gorge yourself on restore health until your eyes bleed.
When I asked roughly the same thing about potions a while back, someone pointed me to Dynamic Potions, which turns all the default healing potions into X/sec for 10 seconds (although it leaves the top level as "full heal instantly", which I actually like, because they're rare enough to justify that.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm curious, is there a single person running modded Skyrim who isn't running SkyUI? If so, explain yourself.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Entropic posted:

I'm curious, is there a single person running modded Skyrim who isn't running SkyUI? If so, explain yourself.

There is, inexplicably, a demand for this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29440/

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Bouchacha posted:

Toxicity does that pretty well, I think.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was thinking about trying that toxicity mod and decided to hold off for some reason and now I don't remember why. It looks neat though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Entropic posted:

Oh, right.

I've been using SPERG so long I forget what vanilla is like. It's like trying to remember life without SkyUI at this point.

I've never played Skyrim without SkyUI.

I watch YouTube videos of what it's like and I'm grateful. :gonk:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

Not that I know of, but I have a different way of dealing with that issue. I stop by alchemist shops regularly when selling my loot to various vendors. Whenever I do I look to see if they are selling any recipes which is very often. I buy those and read them.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ahahaha... LtSmash you need to help your poor, poor userbase.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Whipping up a merged patch in TES5Edit, can anyone tell me what it actually means that an entry/plugin is underlined? All I have been able to find out is that this is an "injected reference" but I have no idea if this is a problem or not. Nearly every record in my merged patch that deals with a plugin I made (merged together a bunch of equipment mods) is underlined, it's worrying. :ohdear:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Always hilarious to see people use their actual photo as their avatar.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Whipping up a merged patch in TES5Edit, can anyone tell me what it actually means that an entry/plugin is underlined? All I have been able to find out is that this is an "injected reference" but I have no idea if this is a problem or not. Nearly every record in my merged patch that deals with a plugin I made (merged together a bunch of equipment mods) is underlined, it's worrying. :ohdear:

From what I understand, it means that they manually renumbered a formID to make the game think it came from Skyrim.esm. I don't know why they do that, but Im pretty sure it's harmless.

Gyshall posted:

Always hilarious to see people use their actual photo as their avatar.

Yeah, only losers do th- Heywaitaminute!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

Ahahaha... LtSmash you need to help your poor, poor userbase.

:stare:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Agents are GO! posted:

From what I understand, it means that they manually renumbered a formID to make the game think it came from Skyrim.esm. I don't know why they do that, but Im pretty sure it's harmless.

I don't know if its actually what underline means in tes5edit but yes an injected record is one that is a new record in that plugin but has its master set as a different file. Its not dangerous. Its used to allow sharing records between mods without needing to make one a master of the other. Some mods use it as a way to share information with each other regardless of which are installed and where they are in the load order without having to use tricky scripts or even necessarily know what mods are using the same information. But it means that someone has to manage keeping FormIDs and records straight out side of the files since if I inject an NPC with formID 0x00123456 into skyrim.esm and you inject a weapon with formID 0x00123456 into skyrim.esm and someone tries to load both our mods at once skyrim will cry.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LtSmash posted:

I don't know if its actually what underline means in tes5edit but yes an injected record is one that is a new record in that plugin but has its master set as a different file. Its not dangerous. Its used to allow sharing records between mods without needing to make one a master of the other. Some mods use it as a way to share information with each other regardless of which are installed and where they are in the load order without having to use tricky scripts or even necessarily know what mods are using the same information. But it means that someone has to manage keeping FormIDs and records straight out side of the files since if I inject an NPC with formID 0x00123456 into skyrim.esm and you inject a weapon with formID 0x00123456 into skyrim.esm and someone tries to load both our mods at once skyrim will cry.

I'm also not sure what is having a record/reference injected into it. I'm not sure if it's Skyrim.esm, or some other master of one of the plugins that I merged. And it only shows up in TES5Edit sometimes. So it's a bit unsettling still, but at the same time I am committed to tediously producing merged patches to resolve things so hopefully I can fix anything like that.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

GunnerJ posted:

I'm also not sure what is having a record/reference injected into it. I'm not sure if it's Skyrim.esm, or some other master of one of the plugins that I merged. And it only shows up in TES5Edit sometimes. So it's a bit unsettling still, but at the same time I am committed to tediously producing merged patches to resolve things so hopefully I can fix anything like that.

Some googling suggests the very non-definitive answer from old changelogs that underline means the record references an injected record, not that it is injected itself. So if say Guard Dialogue Overhaul injects a new keyword ASuperCoolWeapon into Skyrim.esm and adds it to a weapon the both the keyword and the weapon should show up as underlined. The keyword reference in the weapon may also be underlined but I'm not sure. If you the had another mod that changed stats of that weapon and made a merged patch the weapon would be in it with the reference to the injected keyword, ASuperCoolWeapon, so it would be underlined in the merged patch as well. Also the actual injected record won't show up under the plugin that injects it but under the plugin its injected into. So You wouldn't see the ASuperCoolWeapon keyword record in either Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp or your merged patch but in skyrim.esm. Your merged patch also wouldn't contain the ASuperCoolWeapon record since its correctly thinking its from another mod (its just tricked about where its actually from).

So its tricky to find out what is doing the injecting but when loading your plugins tesEdit will print messages for every injected record. So you would see something like "Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp injected KYWD ASuperCoolWeapon 0x00123456 into Skyrim.esm" scroll past in the right side window. Fortunately injection doesn't really matter. The only cases I can think of are if two mods coincidentally select the same formID to use when injecting which is pretty unlikely since so few mods inject and there are millions of formIDs to pick from and tesedit should print a horrible message about it/skyrim crashes before the main menu if it happened. And two if you are combining multiple mods into one in tesedit and one injects a record you would have to make sure to include the injected record too (I dunno if the script to merge mods does this).

tl;dr - You can ignore underlined stuff so long as you aren't glomming mods together to reduce your load order and probably even then too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LtSmash posted:

tl;dr - You can ignore underlined stuff so long as you aren't glomming mods together to reduce your load order and probably even then too.

Well, glomming is pretty much what I am doing, but I guess I will just relax about it based on what you've said and the fact that there's probably nothing I can do about it anyway. Thanks!

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Hey Agents are GO!

Do you mind if I take you up on that offer to tweak Morrowloot for moi?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Hey Agents are GO!

Do you mind if I take you up on that offer to tweak Morrowloot for moi?

Tentatively no prob, depending on what you want. Hit me up on steam chat with this same username, it'll be easier.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PscSN0bvsk

In the Verdant segment in this video, he shows different kinds of grass at different times of year. I wasn't aware Skyrim had "seasons". Is that just Verdant? Does Climates of Tamriel (which claims to have dozens of weather and never actually explains any of them) do that?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Duck and burger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PscSN0bvsk

In the Verdant segment in this video, he shows different kinds of grass at different times of year. I wasn't aware Skyrim had "seasons". Is that just Verdant? Does Climates of Tamriel (which claims to have dozens of weather and never actually explains any of them) do that?

IIRC there are seasons based on the in game calendar but nothing in vanilla uses it. Flora have options for what item you can harvest from them based on the season but in vanilla they are all set the same so you always get the same ingredients. And since its the in game calendar it can take quite a while for seasons to pass anyway.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The seasons are just different settings in the mod.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

axolotl farmer posted:

The seasons are just different settings in the mod.

I don't recall Verdant having such settings.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
So I have been voluntold into helping my roommate fix her Skyrim game. I don't know a whole lot about troubleshooting this junk, but here's some pics of the mess she's in.

http://imgur.com/a/OgdP5

Also I am very sad that she doesn't have SPERG installed.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't use both ELFX and RLO at the same time. Also, ELFX has SMIM meshes patch and DLC patches that should be loaded after SMIM. The load order is important where higher priority overwrites anything with a lower priority. So the load order should be rearranged, then let LOOT manage the right side.

Your best bet is to copy that save, copy the MO profile, isolate the new profile's saves then disable UI/scripting addons until you isolate the problem.

Edit: Whats with the ENB being installed through MO? ENB files go in the main skyrim directory, MO only deals with /data level files.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 5, 2015

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Smegma Princess X posted:

So I have been voluntold into helping my roommate fix her Skyrim game. I don't know a whole lot about troubleshooting this junk, but here's some pics of the mess she's in.

Well for one, the unofficial patches should be ordered like this and should be ordered like that in her actual load order too. The sort button should be taking care of that, though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

IIRC seasonal gameplay was a part of the game but got cut from the final version. It was in that game jam video that's floating around the internet.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Smegma Princess X posted:

The box letters look like special characters or a different language the game isn't recognizing, are the NPCs it's happening to ones from the vanilla game or from a mod? Or are any of the mods she installed non-English mods? Like, maybe she downloaded a spanish or russian or whatever language version of a mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Emong posted:

Well for one, the unofficial patches should be ordered like this and should be ordered like that in her actual load order too. The sort button should be taking care of that, though.

No merged patch. ENBs don't go in MO. Run Loot. Guessing it's a non-english mod causing it, as that NPC is one I don't recognize from the inn in Riverwood.

• Locked thread