Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

You'll be fine, don't worry. Everyone gets a kitten and it's not intense at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Non beastmode Icarium seems like he'd be a good kitten daddy at least!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hand Row posted:

Yeah I never reread books and I am starting the series again. What would you guys say is the weakest book, not counting the first? I don't remember disliking any book but I do recall having to skim some parts.

Still only 1/4 of the way through DoD but House of Chains except for Karsa. I actually liked Toll the Hounds on my first readthrough, although it was also the book that took me the longest to read by far. The convergence really sealed the deal for me I guess.

Deadhouse Gates was such a ride though, and I'm envious of Damo going through it the first time. I'm someone who studies the appendices/maps pretty hard before I start the book so I knew where all of the 7th's battles were going to take place on the march, and every single time I couldn't believe there was going to be that many more.

Damo posted:

Non beastmode Icarium seems like he'd be a good kitten daddy at least!

Quoting this for about 6 books from now.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

SavTargaryen posted:

You'll be fine, don't worry. Everyone gets a kitten and it's not intense at all!

It's actually seven kittens in one.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Habibi posted:

It's actually seven kittens in one.

And one character even gets a dead,white cat! :3:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

All the weird dots and dashes above the letters. Give me some apostrophes any day over that poo poo. They're at least English.

The apostrophes are kinda funny, considering Erikson's parents are Swedish and we really don't use that many apostrophes. We have a lot of dots though, ÅÄÖåäö.

savinhill posted:

Dust of Dreams is probably my least favorite. It has the "too many words" problem that started in TTH and it also introduced too much brand new mysterious stuff(the Snake, ghost mountain) at too late a time in the series for my liking.

Toll The Hounds was my least favorite before rereading it prior to DoD's release. I enjoyed the reread of it enough that I've done it again since, and it now ranks pretty highly for me.

I am 1/3 into DoD on my third reread, and I actually realized I haven't reread DoD after TCG came out. Honestly, Tehol is wearing me out cause smug characters does that.

The weakest for me would be BH, since by that time Kalam have become kinda uninteresting.

TtH got new life after FoD, same thing with GotM.

acumen posted:

Deadhouse Gates was such a ride though, and I'm envious of Damo going through it the first time. I'm someone who studies the appendices/maps pretty hard before I start the book so I knew where all of the 7th's battles were going to take place on the march, and every single time I couldn't believe there was going to be that many more.

I started the series with that book, since for some reason I have started several series on the second book. That was a good decision.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Dust of Dreams is probably my least favorite as well, despite an amazing ending, because it's largely a setup for the last book and also contains a very distasteful section.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Bakker's fantasy names are stupid, but the dumbest part of his books is the gigantic language tree appendix that has no bearing on the plot.

I noticed this interesting exchange on my GotM reread:

page 222 posted:

'Once I reigned in the minds of many mortals, and they fed me well with blood and split bones. Long before the first towers of stone rose to mortal whims, I walked among hunters.' The hood tilted upward and Kruppe felt immortal eyes fixing upon him. 'Blood has been spilled again, but that alone is not enough. I believe I am here to await one who will be awakened. One I have known before, long ago.'
Kruppe digested this like sour bile. 'And what do you bring Kruppe?'
The Elder God rose abruptly. 'An ancient fire that will give you warmth in times of need,' he said. 'But I hold you to nothing.'
So, unless this is a GotMism, K'Rul was worshiped before civilization. What do y'all suppose the "ancient fire" is?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Juaguocio posted:

Bakker's fantasy names are stupid, but the dumbest part of his books is the gigantic language tree appendix that has no bearing on the plot.

I noticed this interesting exchange on my GotM reread:

So, unless this is a GotMism, K'Rul was worshiped before civilization. What do y'all suppose the "ancient fire" is?
Interesting tidbit. Is Kruppe a priest of K'rul, perhaps, albeit one unbound?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Ynglaur posted:

I'm pretty sure he's less a priest and more a friend and ally.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Masonity posted:

I'm pretty sure he's less a priest and more a friend and ally.

Better question: Can he channel K'rul's power like a priest?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Not that we've seen.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

If anything, K'rul would be a worshipper of Kruppe.
Isn't it said somewhere in the books that Kruppe have a Deck of Dragons in his head?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

If you consider all the pastries & wine flowing into Kruppe's mouth, or how Kruppe superloots stores with magic, then most definitely YES, Kruppe is channelling K'rul portal magic.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Cardiac posted:

If anything, K'rul would be a worshipper of Kruppe.
Isn't it said somewhere in the books that Kruppe have a Deck of Dragons in his head?

Pretty sure that's mentioned in Gardens of the Moon, yeah.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Ynglaur posted:

K'rul is all about dreams, and Kruppe has some serious dream poo poo going on, and ultimately you could say that every mage channels K'rul's power at the end of the day. But Kruppe had the dream poo poo before K'rul woke up. And is well on his way to ascendancy.

They overlap in places but there's no worship or client patron relationship. More an alliance, perhaps not of equals but certainly of two very potent individuals.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Masonity posted:

K'rul is all about dreams, and Kruppe has some serious dream poo poo going on, and ultimately you could say that every mage channels K'rul's power at the end of the day. But Kruppe had the dream poo poo before K'rul woke up. And is well on his way to ascendancy.

They overlap in places but there's no worship or client patron relationship. More an alliance, perhaps not of equals but certainly of two very potent individuals.

Kruppe is not quantifiable in a power sense.
He have no problems facing down Caladan Brood Elder God, Azathanai and also someone Spite/Envy was afraid of.
He also manages to utterly befuddle Iskaral Pust, who is High Magi of Shadow.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The first one seems like he had a bit of help from K'rul for it. As for the other, he has no problem befuddling himself.
My interpretation for Kruppe is that he's a minor mage that happens to be really smart and uses his dreams to browse his subconscious. All the flashy stuff I'd attribute to K'rul who looks out for him after he sought him out in GotM.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
But of course, if he is actually a diabolical genius hiding behind a bumbling facade, that's precisely what he'd want you to think - The fact Erikson doesn't coddle his readers by feeling this sort of thing actually needs to be revealed is pretty much one of the reasons I love his writing so much.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

See I'd say the opposite. The first example isn't a demonstration that he has super high power levels or an elder god watching his back, K'rul was busy at the time I believe. Instead it was a demonstration of how slippery and subtle he is beneath his crass facade. It wasn't a huge display of power. It was just a minor deflection of a huge display of power.

Is a coin greater than the sun? If I hold it out it can block the sun. I'd wager the same thing happened here. The power was blocked or deflected slightly. Not met / stopped / driven back.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shockeh posted:

But of course, if he is actually a diabolical genius hiding behind a bumbling facade, that's precisely what he'd want you to think - The fact Erikson doesn't coddle his readers by feeling this sort of thing actually needs to be revealed is pretty much one of the reasons I love his writing so much.

Pretty much my opinion as well.
On a side note, Kruppe is pretty close to Glen Cooks Mocker in Dread Empire and shows some of Eriksons influences.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Kruppe is obviously Tom Bombadil's disreputable brother.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Leospeare posted:

Kruppe is obviously Tom Bombadil's disreputable brother.

Let us never mention that name again.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Masonity posted:

See I'd say the opposite. The first example isn't a demonstration that he has super high power levels or an elder god watching his back, K'rul was busy at the time I believe. Instead it was a demonstration of how slippery and subtle he is beneath his crass facade. It wasn't a huge display of power. It was just a minor deflection of a huge display of power.

Is a coin greater than the sun? If I hold it out it can block the sun. I'd wager the same thing happened here. The power was blocked or deflected slightly. Not met / stopped / driven back.

This is a very cool, insightful way to look at it. I hadn't considered anything like it before.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Does K`rul care much about anything other than trying to maintain peace?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't think K'rul is trying to maintain peace so much as (Memories of Ice spoliers -----> ) prevent his blood being poisoned and his body (the warrens) being ripped apart by the crippled god and other ascendants. He appears to have been perfectly okay with his gifts being used for incessant warfare for hundreds of thousands of years.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

amuayse posted:

Does K`rul care much about anything other than trying to maintain peace?

K'rul doesn't care at all about peace.

e: My suspicion about the epic mule v mule battle featuring Pust and Kruppe is that Kruppe knows not much is needed to block Pust physically - so he does that while others block more physical risk from the object they're all seeking.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 7, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well K'rul cares as much as it takes to prevent the world from making GBS threads itself and dying

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

amuayse posted:

Well K'rul cares as much as it takes to prevent the world from making GBS threads itself and dying

He is also a god heavily dependent on blood for power. Examples: the murderer in TtH and the sanctification of his temple in Darujhistan.
Before he became forgotten, my impression is that he was a pretty bloodthirsty god, which seems to have changed with his reemergence.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mael gets power from blood sacrifices and he's a pretty okay guy. I think Mael does mention that his worshippers can influence how he acts so theoretically if enough of K'rul's followers were dicks the old him could have been too.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 7, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

More specifically, he cares about things that could catastrophically affect the magic in the world, seeing as he IS most of the magic in the world. Hence why he sets himself against TCG's manipulations, etc...

As far as being bloodthirsty, I don't believe the idea is that he actually incites (or ever did) violence. But as an elder God, blood is the basis of his power, and so when it is spilled in his name (ie: wars in and of themselves wouldn't help - they'd need to be perpetrated by his worshippers) he isn't going to complain.

Though, like many other elder powers, he definitely seems to have mellowed with time.

(I don't really know how much of that needs to be spoilered, but in the interest of preserving the enjoyment of new readers, I try to err on the side of caution so this doesn't even approach something like the WoT thread, where people have been childish dicks and literally spoiled critical plot points because they've been asked not to.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I liked that Draconus seemed to actually have learned a lesson after everything that happened to him when they appear in DoD?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Jose posted:

I liked that Draconus seemed to actually have learned a lesson after everything that happened to him when they appear in DoD?

Given his entrance, I'm not convinced of that.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I was under the impression that that was just a byproduct of the dude showing up and not something he consciously chose to do.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Habibi posted:

More specifically, he cares about things that could catastrophically affect the magic in the world, seeing as he IS most of the magic in the world. Hence why he sets himself against TCG's manipulations, etc...

As far as being bloodthirsty, I don't believe the idea is that he actually incites (or ever did) violence. But as an elder God, blood is the basis of his power, and so when it is spilled in his name (ie: wars in and of themselves wouldn't help - they'd need to be perpetrated by his worshippers) he isn't going to complain.

Though, like many other elder powers, he definitely seems to have mellowed with time.

(I don't really know how much of that needs to be spoilered, but in the interest of preserving the enjoyment of new readers, I try to err on the side of caution so this doesn't even approach something like the WoT thread, where people have been childish dicks and literally spoiled critical plot points because they've been asked not to.)

How did the blood sacrifice for power with the Elder Gods start anyway? I don't remember if it's even been addressed in the books anywhere but it seems like something Errastas would've manipulated into happening.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

savinhill posted:

How did the blood sacrifice for power with the Elder Gods start anyway? I don't remember if it's even been addressed in the books anywhere but it seems like something Errastas would've manipulated into happening.

Do you mean in general or a specific instance? If you mean in general, it seems like that's just kind of how the world works/is an unexplained mystery. Probably relating to the fact that all life/magic is King Krool's body/blood/etc. so it's just a natural fact that blood = power.

If you mean a specific instance then which one are you referring to? I'm only partly through book 2 in my first reread. And I finished the series like 6 months or so ago.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

savinhill posted:

I may not remember it correctly, but isn't that basically what happened? (FoD spoilers) Errastas murdering Hood's wife to make Draconus' gift made it so shedding blood is connected to power. I think he did it to mock K'rul giving away his blood and power freely, or something.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Just started reading the series, got about 100 pages into the first book and realised yet again I've fallen for effort justification. I'm a sucker for this, getting into things just because they're complex and challenging without actually having a serious interest in them. I'm far too much of a novice reader to seriously take on this series and so much of it is going over my head. Took me way too long to read just 100 pages. Do any of you guys feel like this too?

quote:

Effort justification is an idea and paradigm in social psychology stemming from Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance.[1] Effort justification is people's tendency to attribute a greater value (greater than the objective value) to an outcome they had to put effort into acquiring or achieving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effort_justification

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

krampster2 posted:

Just started reading the series, got about 100 pages into the first book and realised yet again I've fallen for effort justification. I'm a sucker for this, getting into things just because they're complex and challenging without actually having a serious interest in them. I'm far too much of a novice reader to seriously take on this series and so much of it is going over my head. Took me way too long to read just 100 pages. Do any of you guys feel like this too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effort_justification

No, I'm fluent in English and enjoy reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You should read Gene Wolfe, it will destroy you