Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Crits are nice but not at the expense of everything else. Marksmanship is generally pretty lousy and leaves you with nothing but naked green dice to save your fragile E-wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
If you're getting shot at, do you evade? And if so, do you waste your marksmanships?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Marksmanship is good on Corran only because it allows him to have two offensive Focuses instead of just one. If you are planning to use your focus on the attack anyway, you might as well use Marksmanship. I would remove Marksmanship on Etahn though and just put an Experimental Interface on Corran instead.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That might work. Marksmanship on Etahn is more of an afterthought than anything else.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I finally got a Y wing and a Z95 and wanted to make a fun tanky list with my 2 new ships plus add a B wing since it's my favorite ship. How does this list sound? Is there some other combo that would work better than this keeping in mind I don't have rebel aces yet?

Ten Numb + AS + Marksmenship

Dutch Vander + R5K6 + Flechette Torp + Plus ion turret + Munitions Failsafe

Airen Cracken + Cluster Missile + Deadeye + Munitions Failsafe

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Had my first real games Yesterday. My list was
Jake Farell + Proton Rockets + Munitions Failsafe (Yes, it did get used) + Lone Wolf (Yes, I am switching this for something else next game)
Dash + Outrider + HLC + Lando (Everytime I used him I got good results, he ain't going)
Airen Cracken naked.

I faced first two b two y list. I lost.
Good: I smoked one B, one y. My manuvering was spot on, I managed to get Cracken to stay on a b's 6 for most of the game, chipping him away, and killing him (yes, a z-95 smoked a b-wing.).
Bad: Jake got blown up by a lucky B-wing in the 2nd round before he could do anything. I was ground down until I had cracken with 2 hull left, an ion token and baout to go off the board.

Lesson's learned, drop lone wolf, have Dash party in the asteroids, keep Jake with Airen, they are a good duo it seems.

Second game:
Versus Fell, Sabre Squad Pilot, and Whisper with advance cloaking device.

Good: Once again, great at manuvering. Ended up somehow with Jake right on Whispers rear end at range 1. Also good, Munitions failsafe paid off becaquse I missed entirely with the Prockets. By round three, they were down to 1 hull on Fel, two on Sabre, and Whisper was down to hull only
Bad: Got Tabled. Dice betrayed me.

So, I am confident in my movement skills. I am less so in my dice rolls, and I know lone wolf is bad because I spent most of the time with Jake close to someone. I think Imight actually get Cracken to sit close to Jake and pass a free focus to him becuase cracken shoots before him, and I can get Jake more in posiition then.

Also, replacing Lone Wolf with Stay on Target.

There is a tournament Sunday, and I may go to it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You could replace Lone Wolf with VI for that 9-skill goodness.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Strobe posted:

You could replace Lone Wolf with VI for that 9-skill goodness.

Don't have it yet.

EDIT: Also, if I give him then that, then AC fires after him, giving him the free action after he shot.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 4, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Fair point.

So, there are still a few Store Championships left in the area that I'm hoping to attend. Last week's list got brutally massacred when my green dice came up collectively blank for the entire three first rounds (8 evades total, in three full rounds). Next time I want to have a slightly better chance to not die like a little bitch when the dice tell me to gently caress off. With that in mind:

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Blackmoon Squadron Pilot (29)
Fire Control System (2)
R7 Astromech (2)

Blackmoon Squadron Pilot (29)
Fire Control System (2)
R7 Astromech (2)

Total: 100 points

Once Scum and Villainy comes out, the Greenss will drop down to Prototypes in order to fit Autothrusters for some fantastically difficult to hit ships, while retaining non-negligible levels of firepower thanks to the E-wings.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 4, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Welp, between me and my roommate, we pretty much have all things X-Wing now.

I found a cool AT-AT that looks nice with them, although who knows if I'll ever homebrew some rules for it or not. Kinda tempted to grab some Micro Machines AT-STs and Snowspeeders, too... I already have one of each from where I was a kid.

I know this is a space game in space, but nobody says you can't dogfight on the ground, either. Happened a ton of times in the Rogue Squadron games.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I've been noodling with a double Firespray list before heading to Store Championships in what I expect to be a Decimator-Phantom heavy meta (what a shock) with some Hans and Dash-Corrans mixed in.

Boba Fett — Firespray-31 39
Veteran Instincts 1
Ion Cannon 3
Navigator 3
Engine Upgrade 4

Krassis Trelix — Firespray-31 36
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Ysanne Isard 4
Hull Upgrade 3

Concept is that Fettigator at PS 10 is the phantom hunter or arc dodger killer. The Ion Cannon will help to pin them down, but I would probably switch to a flechette cannon once it's released. Krassis brings the 4 dice attack with built in Predator to try and bring down heavier targets, like the Decimator, while trying to outlast counterattacks with 2 agility and a free evade once a turn from Isard. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I thought I'd ask for thoughts.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Gonna get the starter tomorrow and play with any friend that isn't smart enought to run away real fast. The bast part is that girlfriend seems excited about it from seeing it presented on youtube.

Pity that Scum and Villainy isn't a starter... or that it features the Y-Wing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Anybody know where I can get a space play mat without breaking the bank? Most places I look, it's like $40 for a 3'x3' piece of vinyl.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Anybody know where I can get a space play mat without breaking the bank? Most places I look, it's like $40 for a 3'x3' piece of vinyl.

Get a 3x3 piece of black felt, paint it yourself.

$40 is cheap when it comes to niche game playmats

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Cheapest option going is Glitter Felt and don't forget your coupon for 30%-40% off on any given week. Admittedly mine isn't great but for $5 you'd be hard pressed to find better. As for more expensive ones, I have no clue.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Cheapest option going is Glitter Felt and don't forget your coupon for 30%-40% off on any given week. Admittedly mine isn't great but for $5 you'd be hard pressed to find better. As for more expensive ones, I have no clue.

Huh, I wonder if Michael's has anything like that.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Michaels has a brand called Creatology for something like 3.99 which comes in a 3'x3' square already. It's really easy to fleck it with pain to make a starfield.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Like I mentioned upthread, I picked up a piece of black satin-like material covered in multi-colored glitter from Jo-Ann's for, like, five dollars. It's three feet across, and maybe six feet long.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Michaels has a brand called Creatology for something like 3.99 which comes in a 3'x3' square already. It's really easy to fleck it with pain to make a starfield.

Michaels rules. They sell 3x3 felt sheets for a little more than a dollar. That's what I've used and it has worked fine.

The creatology foam mats they sell are stickier and pretty much perfect material (and cheap), but aren't quite the right size. You could combine two of them easily though and it would come out to about the same.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sweet. There's a Michael's right next to my apartment complex and I can't believe I never thought of looking there earlier.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watchoo guys using to keep your modification and upgrade cards mint? Are there little teeny card sleeves out there you can buy from FF?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I've gone overboard sleeving things in the past but it's never occurred to me to sleeve X-Wing cards. They don't get shuffled or abused in any of the ways that make me feel like sleeving is necessary.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I sleeve all my X-Wing poo poo because I never know what nerds have been eating on the table at the game store before I get there

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

I've gone overboard sleeving things in the past but it's never occurred to me to sleeve X-Wing cards. They don't get shuffled or abused in any of the ways that make me feel like sleeving is necessary.

Damage decks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is that a yes to there being small sleeves available for the damage deck and mod cards, then? Or do I just have to learn how to Google better?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Is that a yes to there being small sleeves available for the damage deck and mod cards, then? Or do I just have to learn how to Google better?

It's FFG. They always have sleeves for their poo poo. Good ones, too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AndyElusive posted:

They're these things: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=86&esem=2&esum=123 (Yellow sleeves for the damage deck)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AndyElusive posted:

They're standard 41×63mm “mini” cards, so there should be plenty of options available for them. FFG have their Yellow sleeves if you want to spend too much money, but I think almost every manufacturer offer something for that size. The other cards are 63×88mm and fit in “standard”/Grey sleeves.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
There are small sleeves, but I don;t remember if it's mini Euro or what. I use penny mini sleeves, cause they work just fine.

All my pilot cards and upgrade cards are kept in a three ring binder when not in use. The pilot cards pit fit regular 9 pocket sleeves, and I use business card sleeves for the upgrades.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Awesome. Thanks for the info and the links, goons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My cards for x-wing are all sleeved and the kept in 9-pocket pages in a binder. The upgrade cards fit nicely two-to-a-slot, but it can be a bitch to get the bottom one out, so I never double up two different cards, only duplicates.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

My cards for x-wing are all sleeved and the kept in 9-pocket pages in a binder. The upgrade cards fit nicely two-to-a-slot, but it can be a bitch to get the bottom one out, so I never double up two different cards, only duplicates.

This works amazing with side loading pages, and you don't have any problem extracting the bottom card.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A binder is slick idea. The only problem I see with storing my cards like that is that I'm currently keeping everything X-Wing in a Plano and I sorta wanted to try and keep everything together.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The guys at my shop have been using small card binders tucked into the side compartment of a Plano like this one.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The 4 pocket Ultra-Pro Pro-Binder is awesome and is easy to tote around while remaining small.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm rocking the two sided Plano from the OP which doesn't exactly have much space to wedge a binder into.

But drat, that 4 pocket ultra-pro DOES look nice! I think I might need to find one online now.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

AndyElusive posted:

But drat, that 4 pocket ultra-pro DOES look nice! I think I might need to find one online now.

I just ordered one on amazon based on that picture for about nine dollars. I'll get a nine-pocket one pretty soon for pilot cards because I've been really lazy about getting a legit storage solution for X-Wing cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've always used the cardboard boxes from tournaments and separate the mini cards with the baggies from the models.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

I just ordered one on amazon based on that picture for about nine dollars. I'll get a nine-pocket one pretty soon for pilot cards because I've been really lazy about getting a legit storage solution for X-Wing cards.

Did someone say pilot cards?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

alg posted:

I think this is exactly why Armada won't be nearly as big as X-Wing. Besides the price tag, everyone already is invested in X-Wing.

I dunno, the current X-Wing meta is pretty terrible IMO. I'm really not interested in two ship lists fighting each other, especially when one or both ships have turrets. The game of getting into your ships' best ranges to outmaneuver enemy fighters seems to pretty much be over, at least when it comes to competitive play. I'm hoping that Armada might bring back a more interesting and tactical gameplay style.

• Locked thread