Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't assume that cause a wheel is cast or whatever it will take tubeless tires - if it came with tubes oem, run tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Don't be a pussy. If it comes down to it just find a welder and run a fat booger weld around the circumference of the rim as your "safety strip". What could go wrong?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Information I've found on the hyosung 250 says tubeless.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it looks like factory fitment was tubeless shinkos and whoever had it before me fitted Michelin pilot sportys which are tubed. I just got a shinko for the rear; I'll try riding it with the tubed front still on there and if it's really horrific I'll just shell out for a front to go with.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
So how hard is it to replace the retaining screw for the oil filter cover on a GS 500?

:( :bang:

Edit: Suzuki GS500 Oil Filter Cover Stud Repair: http://youtu.be/1aE_bntq_iE

Not too bad. Swear I didn't overtorque it :(

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 3, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nitrogen posted:

So how hard is it to replace the retaining screw for the oil filter cover on a GS 500?

:( :bang:

Edit: Suzuki GS500 Oil Filter Cover Stud Repair: http://youtu.be/1aE_bntq_iE

Not too bad. Swear I didn't overtorque it :(

Torquing bolts, both on and off, has tough lessons to learn.

Z3n posted:

Don't assume that cause a wheel is cast or whatever it will take tubeless tires - if it came with tubes oem, run tubes.

Thanks buddy. I spent a lot of energy deflecting HCC's bullshit early on but since he's been back I haven't needed to do a thing. You and others have always been right there.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Yeah it looks like factory fitment was tubeless shinkos

Ha. That's pretty funny.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stuck the shinko on tubeless, bike is totally fine and normal. Old tyre was date stamped 2005 btw.

nsaP posted:

Torquing bolts, both on and off, has tough lessons to learn.

Thanks buddy. I spent a lot of energy deflecting HCC's bullshit early on but since he's been back I haven't needed to do a thing. You and others have always been right there.

I'd tell you you're like the Kanye/Charlie Sheen of this forum but I'm 90% certain you'd take it as a compliment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e: SO MANY BUTTONS HOLY gently caress STOP CLICKING YOU DUMBASS!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fuckin' tiger blood....WHOOO

ed: Btw slavvy you've come along nicely. You're still kinda silly but interesting, and reigned in. Way better than when you showed up. the wacky australian sagebrush.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 4, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

nsaP posted:

Uh, less crack pipe guys? I never said being a cast wheel had anything to do with being ok to run tubeless; in fact I said exactly the opposite.

Keep on keepin' on though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

GIRLS! You're *BOTH* pretty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Fuckin' tiger blood....WHOOO

ed: Btw slavvy you've come along nicely. You're still kinda silly but interesting, and reigned in. Way better than when you showed up. the wacky australian sagebrush.

NEVER call a kiwi an aussie, it's insulting. I'm otherwise flattered :bigtran:

nitrogen posted:

GIRLS! You're *BOTH* pretty.

Hahahahaha.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It was me who said you run tubeless on cast and tube on spoked (in most cases) and was incorrect. What bikes use a cast rim but needs a tube?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I got a GS500 as my first bike recently. Mostly it seems OK, although I actually have no basis for comparison.

A couple things:
1) It probably needs a new front tire, since the one one is original is 10 years old. Not really sure where to start. I mostly ride in the city over lovely roads, so I guess predictability, durability and lifespan are more important than performance or anything. Size is 110/70-17. The previous owner put on an IRC RX-01 on the rear.
2) The tachometer doesn't work until the bike warms up. Is that normal? I'm pretty sure it's an electric tach (2004). It runs so it seems like the crank sensor must be working, and I can't figure out what else in the system would be affected by temperature.
3) A mechanic recommended putting a layer of WD-40 on the stanchions to prevent corrosion, since I live in San Francisco and it's damp. I've owned mountain bikes etc and WD-40 is not something I'd ever let touch a mountain bike, especially the fork stanchion, although mountain bike forks are aluminum and usually stored indoors so corrosion isn't a big deal. Still it seems weird; isn't the fork oil going to leave a layer of lube? Is the wd-40 ok for the seals? Should I use something else instead?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
1. replace that piece of poo poo.
2. probably a cold solder joint on the cluster or a weak connection in your harness somewhere.
3. uh..wha? I've never given a poo poo to oil stanchion tubes. they're plated.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Pick up enough rock chips and it's no longer completely plated. I've seen bikes that live outside get super-pitted. I mean, if you're aspergers-level obsessed with the bike's maintenance, sure do it. It can't hurt. But it's a GS500. Hopefully you've chewed it up and spit it out in a couple years.

Replace that tire though. Anything will be better than what you have.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

This may seem like exagerration to you evensevenone, but it really isn't.

If I have San Fran's climate right in my mind, stanchion corrosion is like the last thing you need to worry about.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are rust spotted stanchions something that's easily fixed? I mean I assume you could just scrub it off but they'll remain at greater risk of getting rusty again than new ones. How much would their performance be affected post-scrubbing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every rust-pitted stanchion I've seen has been only above the seal travel area, unless the bike's been sitting in a mouldy shed for twenty years. Repair methods vary wildly in execution and effectiveness depending on what part of the internet your screen is pointed at. The only surefire way is removal and re-coating.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
It seemed pretty stupid, which is why I asked. And yeah, they're plated and the plating seems fine.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

This. Getting new rubber will make it feel like an entirely different bike. Replace both tires now.

I have http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35276/i/michelin-pilot-road-3-front-tire the ever so slightly more recent version of these on my FZ6. Hard in the center but still grip better than I am a rider towards the edges. 4-5kmi into mine and they're not even flat spotting yet.

These http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6163/i/michelin-pilot-power-front-tire are what I have on my DRZ-sm. Sticky as poo poo, but the rear probably won't last you much more than 3kmi. Front should be good for 6.

E: These are just the ones I have experience with, and most people seem to like them. FWIW I'm replacing the pilot powers on my DRZ with BT-020s in another 3kmi.

e2: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10979559/d/street-bike-tires

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 5, 2015

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Marxalot posted:

This. Getting new rubber will make it feel like an entirely different bike. Replace both tires now.

I have http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35276/i/michelin-pilot-road-3-front-tire the ever so slightly more recent version of these on my FZ6. Hard in the center but still grip better than I am a rider towards the edges. 4-5kmi into mine and they're not even flat spotting yet.

I take it you mean the Pilot Road 4? I have a PR4 front tire on my bike right now and its at 17k miles and looks fine, I believe I'll be reaching 25k miles on that tire, at least.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I wear out mine in 8k..f u

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Marxalot posted:

These http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6163/i/michelin-pilot-power-front-tire are what I have on my DRZ-sm. Sticky as poo poo, but the rear probably won't last you much more than 3kmi. Front should be good for 6.
I was getting 4.5-5k out of a PP 2CT rear tire on three different 110+whp bikes. I've been through seven or eight sets of them. Very nice as a street tire, but I think the next time I own a street bike it's going to get a Pilot Road - there is no need for anything more. If you're on the track then move to something like the SBK Pro or DOT Dunlop; if you're on the road and you're on the throttle early enough or trail braking heavily enough to have issue with a PR then you're going too fast.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 5, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Schroeder91 posted:

I take it you mean the Pilot Road 4? I have a PR4 front tire on my bike right now and its at 17k miles and looks fine, I believe I'll be reaching 25k miles on that tire, at least.

Yeah, but it looks like they don't have PR4s in his bike's size, and afaik the PR3 is nearly the same. I run the 4s on mine and I don't think I've ever really lost traction aside from poo poo like gravel. They even seem pretty decent in the rain, but I have very little experience there so vOv.

BlackMK4 posted:

I was getting 4.5-5k out of a PP 2CT rear tire on three different 110+whp bikes. I've been through seven or eight sets of them. Very nice as a street tire, but I think the next time I own a street bike it's going to get a Pilot Road - there is no need for anything more. If you're on the track then move to something like the SBK Pro or DOT Dunlop; if you're on the road and you're on the throttle early enough or trail braking heavily enough to have issue with a PR then you're going too fast.

But skipping the back tire out and almost lowsiding is fun~

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 5, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

stock GS500's have lovely front suspension too, get that poo poo changed out if you have not already.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Don't bother. It is a GS500, replace consumables and save up for an upgrade.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

qft, just learn on it and get something better later.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

I wear out mine in 8k..f u

Just rotate 'em like they do with cars. You'll get a cool 4k extra, easy.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Sounds like the GS500 I bought as a first bike a few months ago, minus the tach issues.

Mine had the original tires on front and back, and the back was nearly bald. I just picked up a set of Pirelli Sport Demon's at Cycle Gear and had them put on when they did the inspection.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Yeah, but it looks like they don't have PR4s in his bike's size, and afaik the PR3 is nearly the same. I run the 4s on mine and I don't think I've ever really lost traction aside from poo poo like gravel. They even seem pretty decent in the rain, but I have very little experience there so vOv.

Yeah, I think I felt the PR4 on the front slide once, and the PR3 on the rear slid a bit when I hit tar snakes on a freeway curve in the rain a week or so ago. Other than that they grip pretty drat well.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I don't like the straight line grip of the PR4 on my FZ1 but I have no complaints about the tire otherwise. Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat with the throttle on lovely roads sometimes.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

EX250 Type R posted:

While I understand your stance, replacing the front shocks with something stiffer is a really worthwhile upgrade, and will really increase your enjoyment of the bike. I think it *IS* worth spending some coin on, even on a GS500. The stock shocks are really WAY too gooey.

Most other "upgrades" i'd agree are not worth it.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 5, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I don't like the straight line grip of the PR4 on my FZ1 but I have no complaints about the tire otherwise. Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat with the throttle on lovely roads sometimes.

I've had my rear want to lose grip a couple times on mine, until I checked the pressures and raised the rear's pressure a bit more. That's with PR2s though not PR4s (will probably replace with PR4s once these are done, probably sometime next year - they'll be getting too old by date code by then, even if I haven't used up all the tread).

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Is the brakes being "too gooey" the reason I feel a short jerk forward followed by a sudden clunking stop when I apply the front brakes on my GS500? I've always thought it was due to the front piston things hitting the top of the cylinder they're housed in, but I've got no previous bike experience so I assumed it was normal. Maybe not?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is this while rolling at over 5mph or only below 5mph?

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Definitely over.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
So, I'm not actually looking to buy a motorcycle anytime soon (my entire experience with two-wheeled motor vehicles is 'Hey, riding motor scooters at this empty state park is pretty fun'), but I am curious. I was looking at Cleveland CycleWerks, and was wondering, on a scale of 'Terrifying Chinese Potmetal Deathtrap' to 'Designed by Dr. Kevorkian Himself,' how bad is their stuff? One review I saw claimed the gauges were basically unreadable, due to vibration in the needles. I thought they were pretty nifty looking - my dad rode a Honda that I always thought was kind of cool in the 70s, and they sort of remind me of that. Apparently, though, all that styling stuff is some retro-hipster-fetish bullshit now?

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EkardNT posted:

Is the brakes being "too gooey" the reason I feel a short jerk forward followed by a sudden clunking stop when I apply the front brakes on my GS500? I've always thought it was due to the front piston things hitting the top of the cylinder they're housed in, but I've got no previous bike experience so I assumed it was normal. Maybe not?

Could be steering head bearings, could be fork shittyness, could be caliper piston/pad/slide fuckery, could just be business as usual for a GS500.

Check errythang, or just forget about it.