Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Wait, what? First I'm hearing of this.

It's a really simple exploit, google for specifics, but I believe it works like this:
Have your first character use an herb, or something. You need at least 3.
Have the second character use another herb.
Third character reorders the inventory to swap the herb with whatever you want to duplicate, the item to duplicate must have a stock of only 1.
Let the turn play out, and it should use two of the item to duplicate, looping the stock from 1 -> 0 -> 255.

Google to double check. I'm not even sure it was necessary to let the turn play out, because I vaguely recall duplicating things like Crest Graphs, which were unusable in battles, so it may be even more broken than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Now this'll be stuck in my head for days. Again.

I hate you.

hito pointo wo kaifuku suru nara...

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

new question: What are some crazy abusable games?

Final Fantasy 12 has the Nihopalaoa, and also lets you destroy bosses in seconds by stacking reflected magic + their weakness + boosting that element + crit health plus Spellbreaker. The best part is breaking the power curve by going to late-game areas early just to loot a bunch of intensely overpowered equipment.

SMT Nocturne has Daisoujou, who can alleviate any MP problems for the whole game if you put Makatora on him, and Red Rider who has the obnoxiously overpowered Terrorblade attack that costs a tiny amount of MP to use and can triple-hit enemies. There's also Deadly Fury and Freikugel, which just annihilate everything. You only get them later, but Deadly Fury is a guaranteed crit, which is really absurd given Nocturne's battle system.

Shadow Hearts 2 and 3 have the Mind's Eye and Extreme accessories, which will make the hit zones and indicator on your Judgement Ring invisible, in exchange for doubled/tripled (respectively) attack power. It's supposed to force you to learn the timing so well for a character's attack ring that you can hit strike zones with no visual cues, but you can just switch to Auto Ring and automatically do a triple damage attack string. Oh, and there's the Technical Ring, which makes your strike zones shrink to 1 or 2 frames, but increases the result of all strikes. So a buff that increases strength by 36% on a normal strike becomes 43%, and that stacks with Energy Charge or Entrance, which give your next attack a multiplier of 150% - 185% with a tech ring - and that stacks with the strike zone for the attack itself. So basically if you're drat good at timing, your multipliers can double for every attack. And you can apply that multiplier to the super-strong magic attacks that conclude a combo :getin: It's so satisfying to find a combo that will wipe out a boss's health without letting them get a turn.

The Baten Kaitos games also let you one-shot bosses if you set up your deck to allow for a really long combo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nocturne also has Trumpeter, whose Evil Melody instakills the lowest hp non boss enemy you're fighting with perfect accuracy and no possible resistance. And Beelzebub's Death Flies hits all enemies for almighty damage and instakills anything that doesn't resist curse..

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kiggles posted:

It's a really simple exploit, google for specifics, but I believe it works like this:
Have your first character use an herb, or something. You need at least 3.
Have the second character use another herb.
Third character reorders the inventory to swap the herb with whatever you want to duplicate, the item to duplicate must have a stock of only 1.
Let the turn play out, and it should use two of the item to duplicate, looping the stock from 1 -> 0 -> 255.

Google to double check. I'm not even sure it was necessary to let the turn play out, because I vaguely recall duplicating things like Crest Graphs, which were unusable in battles, so it may be even more broken than I remember.

You could duplicate anything. Even..."duplicators."

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

These are nice, but I'm looking for Morrowind/Star Ocean 2 levels of wacky broken

Ultima VII Part 2's Vibrate and Serpent Form are wonderfully broken. Serpent Form lets you ignore any quest triggers you feel like, and Vibrate makes NPCs drop NPC-only items, including the pockets of their clothes.

I like when one thing has lots of possible uses/consequences

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Edit: ^^^ Clearly you know about Morrowind, but for those who somehow don't...

Doctor Goat posted:

The vaults in Vivec and the Ghostfence are my normal spots. When I started Morroblivon, I hit them out of habit.

new question: What are some crazy abusable games?

Morrowind there, too, of course. Being able to buy unlimited ingredients for intelligence potions, and having the potency and value of potions relate directly to your intelligence stat, and having no effective limit on your intelligence OR the strength of your potions, and being able to use your ludicrous intelligence to boost nearly every ability and stat with potions = the ability to turn yourself into an immortal avatar of destruction forever within about 5 minutes.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
One of the books apparently TELLS you to do the intelligence loop for alchemy. :v: Morrowind is the king of broken.

If an NPC has a stock of an item, say, 10 Ash Yams, the game won't let the value go down. But it'll go up. So you can buy 10, sell 10, buy 20, sell 20, etc to get to ludicrous amounts of alchemical ingredients.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Doctor Goat posted:

One of the books apparently TELLS you to do the intelligence loop for alchemy. :v: Morrowind is the king of broken.

If an NPC has a stock of an item, say, 10 Ash Yams, the game won't let the value go down. But it'll go up. So you can buy 10, sell 10, buy 20, sell 20, etc to get to ludicrous amounts of alchemical ingredients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBp2moCi4I

The book probably tells you that because trying to play Morrowind legitimately is worse than pulling teeth.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The book probably tells you that because trying to play Morrowind legitimately is worse than pulling teeth.

I'm gonna have to say that being able to sell shopkeepers their own items from their inventories in Skyrim was worse.

I'd never seen this, though.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Konami rep is streaming Suikoden III on twitch. He's currently talking about how streaming the earlier titles helped influence getting PSN releases based on reception from the viewers. Can't say as Suiko III was one of the stronger entries in the series, but might be worth following the channel to communicate which Suikodens you're interested in, if they decide to keep going with the series. Hint: tune in when they stream Suikoden V, you fools!

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You shut your mouth!

But seriously, I may have been one of the few people to play Morrowind legit and love every minute of it. The game just reeks of charm, even when it's broken you can't help but love it. I avoided exploits as much as possible, never raided the vaults at Vivic at level one, never cranked up my intelligence to 1 million, but I did like selling poo poo at exorbitant rates by upping my charisma right before I bought supplies.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SpitztheGreat posted:

You shut your mouth!

But seriously, I may have been one of the few people to play Morrowind legit and love every minute of it. The game just reeks of charm, even when it's broken you can't help but love it. I avoided exploits as much as possible, never raided the vaults at Vivic at level one, never cranked up my intelligence to 1 million, but I did like selling poo poo at exorbitant rates by upping my charisma right before I bought supplies.

I played it (mostly) legit and loved it too. The one "cheat" I allowed myself was casting a 1-second "resist magic" spell on myself just before equipping the Boots of Blinding Speed. The default movement speed in Morrowind is soooooooo...... slooooooow.....

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kiggles posted:

Konami rep is streaming Suikoden III on twitch. He's currently talking about how streaming the earlier titles helped influence getting PSN releases based on reception from the viewers. Can't say as Suiko III was one of the stronger entries in the series, but might be worth following the channel to communicate which Suikodens you're interested in, if they decide to keep going with the series. Hint: tune in when they stream Suikoden V, you fools!

Suiko III was really strong in some pretty important ways, but I think it suffered a lot from being such a transitional game. The director taking off/going insane mid-development probably didn't help much either.

I'd love to see more games take a shot at the Trinity Sight concept. That said, if Suiko III was all Geddoe, all the time, I probably would've liked it more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Delsaber posted:

Suiko III was really strong in some pretty important ways, but I think it suffered a lot from being such a transitional game. The director taking off/going insane mid-development probably didn't help much either.

I'd love to see more games take a shot at the Trinity Sight concept. That said, if Suiko III was all Geddoe, all the time, I probably would've liked it more.

If Suikoden III didn't have Trinity Sight there's basically no way on Earth it wouldn't have starred Hugo, unfortunately.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Doctor Goat posted:

These are nice, but I'm looking for Morrowind/Star Ocean 2 levels of wacky broken

Here's one for you: in Daggerfall, if you entered a shop, and simply waited until it closed, you could loot absolutely anything off the shelves and it wouldn't count as theft. Also, the shopkeeper was still there so you could directly sell him the contents of his own shelves. Also, both a horse and cart (two separate items) were very expensive, with an effective weight of zero. Also, every time you emptied a store shelf and checked it again, there would be another horse and cart available. You quickly end up with so much money that you literally can't carry it and the merchant starts offering letters of credit for the bank.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

YggiDee posted:

Here's one for you: in Daggerfall, if you entered a shop, and simply waited until it closed, you could loot absolutely anything off the shelves and it wouldn't count as theft. Also, the shopkeeper was still there so you could directly sell him the contents of his own shelves. Also, both a horse and cart (two separate items) were very expensive, with an effective weight of zero. Also, every time you emptied a store shelf and checked it again, there would be another horse and cart available. You quickly end up with so much money that you literally can't carry it and the merchant starts offering letters of credit for the bank.

I describe this technique as rear end in a top hat Negative Santa when I describe Daggerfall to friends who have only played the later games.

Climbing walls and jamming your head through the roof like a periscope is also quite wonderful.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpU_dfEiCM

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMEr2KWv5tc

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 5, 2015

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Doctor Goat posted:

I describe this technique as rear end in a top hat Negative Santa when I describe Daggerfall to friends who have only played the later games.

Climbing walls and jamming your head through the roof like a periscope is also quite wonderful.

Daggerfall had the most broken spell creator ever. Morrowind was child's play compared to that one. Although, man, alchemy for Int plus spell maker was pretty awesome. Those mile long jumps plus feather fall worked miracles. Morrowind is my favorite Bethesda game by far, everything since seems so "streamlined" in story, gameplay and spellcrafting/skills.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
They tried to put a lot of thought in balancing Oblivion's magic and in balancing things in general after Morrowind. This was the incorrect choice.

Is Star Ocean 1 for PSP janky? It's using the SO2 engine.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Almost all of Breath of Fire 4's town themes are awesome.

Thousand Wings is probably my favorite, but I love Landscape for how well it works with the story events there.

The Wild Arms series also has a ton of stellar town themes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think people misunderstand, I didn't say town/market themes are the worst rpg songs, the worst rpg songs are town themes.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

mycot posted:

the worst rpg songs are town themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmiuOZAQrM0

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doctor Goat posted:

They tried to put a lot of thought in balancing Oblivion's magic and in balancing things in general after Morrowind. This was the incorrect choice.

If you're gonna play a Star Ocean game, just go straight to 2. 1 is okay, but it's still kinda :geno: when you compare it to the sequel. Claude from 2 is the son of Ronixis from 1, but it's still only tangentially relevant.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This will always best town theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcm3ak-SLqM

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're posting awesome town themes in JRPGs....

Another Marbule Dunno why but feeling Chrono Cross-y of late. I guess there's nothing wrong with that though since it has one of the best OSTs ever. I should listen to it more.

And more legendary Mitsuda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8MFPIvFpU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Doctor Goat posted:

I'm getting some slowdown on the 3D world map. Maybe it's their way to extend play time, because the game is kinda short.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What was special about Trinity Sight?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rascyc posted:

What was special about Trinity Sight?

Just a fancy way of saying multiple protagonists. The problem is, the three are definitely not equal.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

You is my hero

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2b632ubAVs

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Just a fancy way of saying multiple protagonists. The problem is, the three are definitely not equal.

I was about to say yeah Thomas wasn't nearly as cool as the other two, but he apparently wasn't even part of the actual 'Trinity'. I remembered Chris, Geddoe, Thomas, lizard and duck dudes, etc,. Completely forgot Hugo existed.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Playing Trails in the Sky right now - is there any benefit in talking to the citizens in the first town? So far the most interesting thing it resulted on was the first chapter from some guy's book.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

Playing Trails in the Sky right now - is there any benefit in talking to the citizens in the first town? So far the most interesting thing it resulted on was the first chapter from some guy's book.

Well, the best thing you can get out of talking to the citizens outside of quests, and getting all 10 chapters of that book, is a choice between the two best weapons in the game, but you don't really need it, since the game is so easy regardless.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

From what I could tell if they don't have a portrait they're just flavor. All the citizens of every town update their dialogue constantly, makes the world feel more alive. Doesn't actually do anything for you though.

Some jobs require you to talk to a person to start it, other than that eh.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Leper Residue posted:

From what I could tell if they don't have a portrait they're just flavor. All the citizens of every town update their dialogue constantly, makes the world feel more alive. Doesn't actually do anything for you though.

Some jobs require you to talk to a person to start it, other than that eh.

And the benefits to getting all the quests and BP in the game and transferring that to the second game are probably not worth it, from what I've heard.

All I've heard about the bonus for transferring an all BP save to SC is an accessory or something that raises rare item drops, which are pretty frequent anyways.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's a Persona stream going on, maybe P5 stuff is coming?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

There's a Persona stream going on, maybe P5 stuff is coming?

Yeah Persona 5 stuff is rumored to be announced today.

e2:

quote:

Here are the hours for the programs that were listed as “???” which we can assume will be some sort of announcement.

February 4 23:40 JPT (February 4th at 6:40am PST/9:40am EST) – ???

February 5 at 12:30 JPT (February 4th at 7:30pm PST/10:30pm EST) – ???

February 5 at 21:?? JPT (February 5th at 4:00am PST/7:00am EST) – ?????

Although I might be looking into it too much, we wonder if the third unannounced program could have something to do with Persona 5, considering how Atlus have used five question marks instead of three like in the other segments. Additionally, in case you miss any portions of the stream, a user on YouTube is archiving the whole thing.

Kild fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 5, 2015

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Kild posted:

Yeah Persona 5 stuff is rumored to be announced today.

e2:

They showed a gameplay trailer maybe 10 mins ago and it was awesome.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I'm the PersonaMan.

I'm all for goddamn Persona's 11

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 5, 2015