Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Your polarizer will have a constant loss of light you should account for - probably 2 stops if my experience with polarizers is any indication. Do some tests before you decide to shoot something finicky like slides, it's as simple as pointing your meter (if you have a reflective or spot meter) directly up to the filter and metering through it, hopefully in an area where the rotation of the polarizer isn't affecting the scene.

You only need a circular polarizer if you are using an autofocus camera, there will be no difference to your eyes and to the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Busy January so far!

May by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

I think her skin tone is way too pink.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Awkward Davies posted:

I think her skin tone is way too pink.

Thank you. I have a tendency to overdo it in Lightroom with the tones thereafter... Still working on being more effective in post.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm curious on what aperture you shot that at? I haven't shot any real portraits with the 6x7 yet really...and will be soon.

Can't be more than f/5.6.

New picture:

Sarah by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

The first roll through my Mamita C220 and 65mm lens turned out a bunch of blank frames. I checked the shutter by firing it with the film back open, and the shutter lets light in at all shutter speeds. Any idea what would cause the camera to skip so many frames? What's odd is that it seems to be skipping exactly 2 frames and then recording 1.

Also, another question, my Epson v550 medium format film holder seems to cut off the edge of the the fourth frame if I cut the film into strips of four. The documentation doesn't say whether it is supposed to be able to scan up to three or up to four 6x6 frames at a time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Are shots actually missing that you remember taking? Looks like you just wound too far between each shot.

My Epson scanner only does 1 6x9 shot per strip, cutting off the 2nd half way through. Since 120 film has so many different frame sizes it's impossible to make holders that perfectly line up with every variation.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

mulls posted:

The first roll through my Mamita C220 and 65mm lens turned out a bunch of blank frames. I checked the shutter by firing it with the film back open, and the shutter lets light in at all shutter speeds. Any idea what would cause the camera to skip so many frames? What's odd is that it seems to be skipping exactly 2 frames and then recording 1.

Also, another question, my Epson v550 medium format film holder seems to cut off the edge of the the fourth frame if I cut the film into strips of four. The documentation doesn't say whether it is supposed to be able to scan up to three or up to four 6x6 frames at a time.

The usual size for 6x6 is strips of 3 frames, each.
6x7 is 2 frames and 6x9 is also two frames, using different sleeves for 6x7 while 6x9 uses 6x6 sleeves again.

Then, what BANME.sh asked already asked: Did you take the frames and they're not on film?
Because it seems that you are having crazy frame spacing issues. The spacing in the blank sections is irregular and not "just every other frame", did you wind the arrow on the backing paper to the white dot? I would need to check my C2 but I think it's somewhere in the middle. I'm assuming that either you wound much ... much further .. or that your frame spacing mechanism is screwed up.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I figured out what the problem is. The film advance knob isn't locking properly once the frame counter increments, so it is possible to wind through the whole film without ever pulling the shutter. I emailed KEH and will follow up with a phone call tomorrow. (Basically, Banme.sh was totally right)

Also, on the Epson v550 question, it looks like the Epson holder is 6mm x 22mm, so just long enough for four 645 frames but only long enough for 3 6x6 frames.

mulls fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 5, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mulls posted:

Also, on the Epson v550 question, it looks like the Epson holder is 6mm x 22mm, so just long enough for four 645 frames but only long enough for 3 6x6 frames.

Yes.
You cut 120 film shot as 6x6 into 4 strips of 3 frames each. Exactly what the holder fits.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Ho Swee by alkanphel, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm gonna be meeting a guy to buy a Mamiya 7 on the weekend. Are they any issues particular to the camera I should be checking for when I look it over aside from the obvious used camera stuff?

edit: Thanks!!

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 6, 2015

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

try it with a lime posted:

I'm gonna be meeting a guy to buy a Mamiya 7 on the weekend. Are they any issues particular to the camera I should be checking for when I look it over aside from the obvious used camera stuff?

Make sure the rangefinder is in agreement with the lens.
The lens and the rangefinder both should show infinity. In my Mamiya 7 there's no play (after I fixed it). That means the line stops at the middle of the infinity sign and the focus is at infinity (verify with a far away object.)

Check for scratches and other telltale signs around the little round hole on the viewfinder side. It's where the rangefinder adjustment is. This should tell you if the previous owner (clumsily) screwed with it.

Also check the lens-curtain action. The round lever for that is at the bottom. Camera must be wound for it to work. It is a built-in dark-slide to facilitate lens-changes mid film and apparently breaks quite often.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I guess everything is starting in 6x7 soon. Good thing I've been doing my curls to handhold this thing

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pootiebigwang posted:

Can someone explain to me the difference between a circular polarizer and a linear polarizer? I keep reading that circular polarizers are more geared towards those with autofocus and with ttl metering. Since I am using a Hasselblad with a WLF is there any reason I should spend the near $100 extra to get a circular polarizer? Also how do you compensate with your metering? Since I can't put the filter on a handheld light meter, how do I get a proper exposure?

Polarization deals with the electric field of light as it travels as a wave. A linear polarizer filters everything that isn't linearly polarized to the given phase angle,, a circular polarizer blocks everything that isn't circularly polarized to a given phase angle. From there just look up those definitions.

In practical terms linear polarizers prevent autofocus from working. It allows all phases to pass through equally, which means there's no phase shift as the lens focuses, so there's nothing for phase-detect AF sensors to lock onto.

Light waves are basically just like radio waves. They're both EM waves, just with a different frequency. I'd hazard a guess that a PDAF sensor is somewhat similar to a FM radio receiver, or really similar to a Phase Modulation radio receiver (eg Wifi).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 7, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Guess who dusted off his large format camera?

Kork by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Yes, they still work in the snow.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

Polarization deals with the electric field of light as it travels as a wave. A linear polarizer filters everything that isn't linearly polarized to the given phase angle,, a circular polarizer blocks everything that isn't circularly polarized to a given phase angle. From there just look up those definitions.

In practical terms linear polarizers prevent autofocus from working. It allows all phases to pass through equally, which means there's no phase shift as the lens focuses, so there's nothing for phase-detect AF sensors to lock onto.

Light waves are basically just like radio waves. They're both EM waves, just with a different frequency. I'd hazard a guess that a PDAF sensor is somewhat similar to a FM radio receiver, or really similar to a Phase Modulation radio receiver (eg Wifi).

I was under the impression that a circular polarizer is just a linear polarizer with an added quarter wave plate behind it to make the linearly polarized light circularly polarized again, not that it's only allowing circularly polarized light through in the first place.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Nice.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Finally had another chance to get the x-ray film right. Kept my developing process the same, 6min in 1:100 Rodinal with my DIY dunk tank, then shot at 100, 200 and 400 ISO. And bingo 200 ISO was the sweet spot, lots of contrast and detail in the shadows. Gonna have a crack an Agyrotype with it tomorrow (ignore the light leaks):

X-ray Test by mr_student, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Annika by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

I just can't stop shooting in this beautiful snow!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The snow and portraits are great. The skin tone seems really red on all of them though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I really like dorkasaurus' colours. They're all really dorkasaurusy and they work well.

I got my Mamiya 7, it feels waayyy better than I thought it would. I can't wait to run a test roll through it in the morning. :dance:

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 8, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

The snow and portraits are great. The skin tone seems really red on all of them though.

white girls get red in the face in the snow :/

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The large format photo she doesn't have that red of a face though? I don't hate the red face, it was just the first thing I noticed.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I dunno, I like the effect.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

I got my Mamiya 7, it feels waayyy better than I thought it would. I can't wait to run a test roll through it in the morning. :dance:

Welcome to the club. For all the talk about the build quality they actually feel really solid.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

deaders posted:

Welcome to the club. For all the talk about the build quality they actually feel really solid.

No kidding, it feels solid as hell and the spool releases are soooo much better than any of the other MF cameras I've dealt with.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

The large format photo she doesn't have that red of a face though? I don't hate the red face, it was just the first thing I noticed.

that girl in particular does not get it (also it was not especially cold that day) but i mostly make the colors look true to life and in the MF one i just posted that's p much how she looked... i guess i'll still work on toning and stuff

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Fire

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I got my Mamiya 7
6:respek:7

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

6x7 is god's true format just saying

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Actually my next show which I'm hanging today is comprised entirely of 6x7. :getin:
Shot on the Mamiya 7 and Makina67, coz I couldn't handhold the P67 in low enough light.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
6x6 is Satan's true format. Hail Satan.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

pootiebigwang posted:

6x6 is Satan's true format. Hail Satan.

Hail Satan!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hail Satan!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Whose true format is 6x9 then? :heysexy:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Whose true format is 6x9 then? :heysexy:

Odin.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Lookit this hipster, shooting in McCarren in the snow (this is great).

• Locked thread