Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The last time Standard was good was when there was a deck named Spread 'Em. :colbert:

Playing Caw-Go was the only way I could feel alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

Can we stick to talking about Wizard Poker and not piling on mcmagic? Trust me, I can settle this entire thing by saying everyone in this thread is a huge nerd who spends way too much money on bits of cardboard and who has overly strong opinions about said cardboard.

I just use counterfeits.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

apistat posted:

I mostly just lurk so I lose track, but mcmagic changed his name from dickeye, right?

Nah, dickeye quit magic for some reason and stopped posting here.

Angry Grimace posted:

Can we stick to talking about Wizard Poker and not piling on mcmagic? Trust me, I can settle this entire thing by saying everyone in this thread is a huge nerd who spends way too much money on bits of cardboard and who has overly strong opinions about said cardboard.

This is very true.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't understand this sudden control flood. Everyone at my store is still stuck on Abzan midrange or Jeskai tokens as if absolutely nothing has changed.

Which itself isn't exactly a good thing either.
Same here, but fortunately we have a decent amount of brew at my LGS as well. Which is fine by me because I hate playing against control, as best said here:

Wadjamaloo posted:

I think the reason most people hate control is that it usually wins by turn four, but you are forced to play 20 more turns to find that out. At least aggro and combo politely let you know when its over.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
If only my R/W deck will be ready by the 6th (Will be close) my local shop is giving out a foil, alternate art Ugin for their standard tourney on the 7th.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Where did they get it? There were no foil alt art ugins in the ugin packs that I know of.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Where did they get it? There were no foil alt art ugins in the ugin packs that I know of.

He misunderstood something.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He misunderstood something.

Either that or his shop is legitimately trying to pass off a proxy as a legit card.

My money's on misunderstanding though.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm one of the people playing U/B Control after FRF because I've never played control before, and I already had most of the pieces from playing mono-black that splashed blue for Psychic Strike. Polluted Deltas are an investment worth making, so I bit the bullet and bought them, and nothing else was that expensive. Dig Through Time was down to ~$4.50 on TCgPlayer, and I traded for my Perilous Vaults and Crux of Fates.

Control is hard to play in that I want to get the most value out of my cards. I win through card advantage. When you have 1 card in hand, and I have 7, You can't come back from that. But, how do I obtain maximum value out of this board wipe if you refuse to play a second creature? Do I use my last counter on this Fleecemane lion that you're casting when I know damned well you've got a Seige Rhino on deck? I'm still learning, and it's super fun.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That was on MTGO.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

End of Life Guy posted:

I'm one of the people playing U/B Control after FRF because I've never played control before, and I already had most of the pieces from playing mono-black that splashed blue for Psychic Strike. Polluted Deltas are an investment worth making, so I bit the bullet and bought them, and nothing else was that expensive. Dig Through Time was down to ~$4.50 on TCgPlayer, and I traded for my Perilous Vaults and Crux of Fates.

Control is hard to play in that I want to get the most value out of my cards. I win through card advantage. When you have 1 card in hand, and I have 7, You can't come back from that. But, how do I obtain maximum value out of this board wipe if you refuse to play a second creature? Do I use my last counter on this Fleecemane lion that you're casting when I know damned well you've got a Seige Rhino on deck? I'm still learning, and it's super fun.

The whole point behind playing against board wipe style control is to continually hold threats. We know you aren't doing anything so if we can stick a creature and keep swinging with it you have to use a board wipe, which will allow us to cast another creature until you run out of counterspells.

It's kind of how it works.

I will stick 2 satyrs before their counterspells come online and sit on a hand of hornet queens and sidisi and just swing 2 every turn.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

After that first sweeper, most savvy players aren't going to overcommit unless they have to. This is why control decks play spot removal as well.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

End of Life Guy posted:

Can you post your list? I bought most of it pre-FRF but didnt want to buy Vaults.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Does the Pro Tour start on Friday or Saturday?

Excited to see Siege Rhino stomp all over another format.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

Friday 6 AM Pacific. PT goes by really slowly with long rounds and LOTS of filler between rounds, which ranges from terrible to decent. Plus deckbuilding time, time for Ultrapro ads, Sheldon ramblings and so on. I wish they'd take CFB's approach and double up on recordings and play back the second immediately after the first finishes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

This is something that there is no hard and fast rule for, but if you aren't under any pressure (likely 4 or less damage per turn, depending on the environment) just let them hold back to play around the sweeper while you sculpt your wincon. It's really all about resource management and in this case your life total is the big resource to manage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Oh, it's a draft PT?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Wadjamaloo posted:

I think the reason most people hate control is that it usually wins by turn four, but you are forced to play 20 more turns to find that out. At least aggro and combo politely let you know when its over.

A big part of it for me was the one guy who I played with a lot when I started who had a good control deck. Trying to run TribalDraftLeavings.dek into Drownyard Control was incredibly frustrating as a new player.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh, it's a draft PT?

You really don't think it'll see play?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

You really don't think it'll see play?

Is there a lot of Delver expected?

E: There's probably going to be a lot of Junk decks at the PT so I should temper this a little, it will show up but I think it will be a major underperformer through the tournament.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 5, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Otherwise, no, honestly.

It's taken the place of Skrillex in a lot of Junk decks so yeah, it'll see play.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

6/6s and pumpable 4/4s sure do match up badly against 4/5s.

Siege Rhino is just better in every conceivable way. He really is.

Froghammer posted:

After that first sweeper, most savvy players aren't going to overcommit unless they have to. This is why control decks play spot removal as well.

It's a bit of a feel and instinct thing to determine just how much you can really commit before you're just gambling on what is in their hand. This is why Thoughtseize and its ilk are so good in my opinion against control - it's the information advantage. Even a countered Thoughtseize can usually tell you something about a control players hand.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Angry Grimace posted:

Uncharted Realms: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/doom-golden-fang-2015-02-04 - Tasigur's story

The story of Tasigur being a big whiny shitlord who gets eaten by Silumgar.

I wonder if this means there won't be any human-members of the Sultai in Dragons of Tarkir (although I won't be surprised if the clans are named after the Dragon Legends in the alternate future, e.g. the Silumgar)

I'm really down on the flavor of the Sultai in both timelines. They're just so amazingly over the top evil that it's kind of boring. I mean jeez, I would rather live under the dragons than the Sultai if I was a poo poo peasant.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I'm really down on the flavor of the Sultai in both timelines. They're just so amazingly over the top evil that it's kind of boring. I mean jeez, I would rather live under the dragons than the Sultai if I was a poo poo peasant.

Tasigur's flavor text on Silumgar's card is a lot funnier when it turns out he met one dragon his whole life (Silumgar) and it ate him immediately.

I guess his stats are based on his servants because in lore he's a huge fuckin wuss.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: There's probably going to be a lot of Junk decks at the PT so I should temper this a little, it will show up but I think it will be a major underperformer through the tournament.

I think there's a good chance Junk is one of the most popular decks at this PT, and they're all playing Rhinos now.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
It wouldn't surprise me if some kind of control deck was a major player. The pros have the time and inclination to be a control deck specifically for the meta, which is likely to be junk and splinter twin heavy

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Modern has been pretty hostile toward the control archetype pretty much as long as the format has been around and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Modern has been pretty hostile toward the control archetype pretty much as long as the format has been around and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Control isn't really fast enough for a format like Modern that doesn't let you play Force of Will.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Splinter Twin is Modern's control deck. Just because it can occassionally vomit out a turn 4 combo win by accident doesn't make it not a control deck.

Scapeshift is similar but trades speed for inexorability. Can't Combust or Mana Leak a land drop.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ungulateman posted:

Splinter Twin is Modern's control deck. Just because it can occassionally vomit out a turn 4 combo win by accident doesn't make it not a control deck.

Scapeshift is similar but trades speed for inexorability. Can't Combust or Mana Leak a land drop.

Splinter Twin is a tempo deck, it doesn't win by killing or locking down literally everything your opponent plays, it wins by tapping down stuff, and getting in for evasive or burn damage with the option to combo your opponent out if they ever make a misplay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I started thinking there was something perverse about the format when I first heard that modern's premiere blue combo/controlish deck often plays tarmagoyfs. I guess it makes more sense if you consider twin a tempo deck.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

IMO if Modern ever gets a full on control deck its going to look a lot more like MUD or Death and Taxes, by that I mean it will control the match in a way different than typical permission and answer package, like Blue Moon.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I dunno, I consider any deck that is happy to sit on a pile of counterspells and trade counterspells with its opponent until it can jam its finisher to be a control deck. See: every single Twin vs Blue deck match in PT Born of the Gods. The fact that Twin is also one of the best tempo decks in the format doesn't change that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Was Shaun McLaren's modern pt win w/ WUR control surprising?

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

ungulateman posted:

I dunno, I consider any deck that is happy to sit on a pile of counterspells and trade counterspells with its opponent until it can jam its finisher to be a control deck. See: every single Twin vs Blue deck match in PT Born of the Gods. The fact that Twin is also one of the best tempo decks in the format doesn't change that.

I agree. Twin is very much a control deck. It's weird though because it's not the traditional form of UW based control that everyone is so used to, it's more of a "psychological" control deck in the sense that I don't even have to play any other card, but as soon I have 3-4 lands in play, my opponent now has to play around my combo for the rest of the game and I don't ever even have to assemble the combo or even draw either combo piece. Because they know that as soon as they tap out, they are probably going to lose to it. It took me a while to kinda pick up on that as I was learning the format and 0-2 dropping every week, but it's pretty crazy how terrifying passing turn into 3 untapped lands when you're playing against a twin deck cam be and how much something as simple as that controls the entire tempo of the game.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

ungulateman posted:

I think most people ascribe to a more narrow definition of "control deck" and that's understandable since the strategy for a lot of decks can be described as "control the game long enough to jam a finisher"

Ultimately decks like Twin and Tron are hard to pigeonhole in a single archetype (that's part of what makes them good) but I think it's fair that people think of Twin more as a Tempo/Combo deck than a control deck.

Sirius Sam posted:

It took me a while to kinda pick up on that as I was learning the format and 0-2 dropping every week, but it's pretty crazy how terrifying passing turn into 3 untapped lands when you're playing against a twin deck cam be and how much something as simple as that controls the entire tempo of the game.

I too think its wrong and weird that a deck which achieves victory by dictating the tempo of the match is referred to as a tempo deck, instead of a control deck.

EDIT: To be less snarky, you yourself identify readily that the threat of the combo affects your opponents ability to execute their game plan long enough for your threats to get there. You're constricting their plays each turn because they must at all times at least present the answer to the combo or risk immediately losing. Other Tempo decks like RUG Delver also constrict their opponent long enough for a beater to get there, they just do it with mana denial and really efficient permission but the concept is the same. Textbook Tempo not control.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 5, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can someone post this weekend's pro tour schedule? I'd like to see when the modern parts will be airing, and don't dare use wizards site on my phone.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

always be closing posted:

Can someone post this weekend's pro tour schedule? I'd like to see when the modern parts will be airing, and don't dare use wizards site on my phone.

Don't expect Modern until the afternoon because each day starts with a draft, deck building, three rounds of limited, and then lunch.

e: Follow @MagicProTour or rewind the daily stream on Magic's YouTube page (why would you ever use the Twitch page for these events) or use the daily playlists on the YT page. That's what I do.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Terrible Horse posted:

Can you post your list? I bought most of it pre-FRF but didnt want to buy Vaults.

I haven't tweaked this for my meta yet, but I'll probably maindeck one more vault or find a place for Ugin. Its weak to lots of walkers.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/ub-control-with-fate-reforged/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
OK so limited will be in the morning both weekend days, is there any constructed on Friday?

• Locked thread