Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think they're underachieving. I mean, the past 2 games, sure, but this was never a team that should have been expected to compete in any serious manner. They're still going to win 50 games which seems pretty decent for the roster but then you ask the familiar question of what this team's ceiling is and what can be done to make it a contender.

I'll be glad when we get rid of Casey, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It's kind of a Mark Jackson situation except Casey doesn't seem to have the same headstrong attitude Jackson had/has

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah Toronto shouldn't be that upset. They're in the top 4 in the East and will likely stay there barring a big injury.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I posted this in the wrong thread but wanted to post it here anyway. Context: Wolves up by 1 with like 40 seconds to go.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 5, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread but wanted to post it here anyway. Context: Wolves up by 1 with like 40 seconds to go.

I want to see Heat reaction to letting Kevin Martin single-handidly beat them and Norris Cole spotting MN a free possession at the end.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think we are closing in on a scenario where Noah punches Gasol during a game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I want to see Heat reaction to letting Kevin Martin single-handidly beat them and Norris Cole spotting MN a free possession at the end.

Something I just noticed is that Rubio can tell it's about to happen before it does and starts acting like that annoying kid in grade school who tattles on everyone.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

News: Over the last two months (31 games), Harden is shooting .475 FG%, .407 3FG%, .875 FTs and .630 TS% while scoring 27ppg, with >5 assists and almost 7 rb/g

Views: :chanpop:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Yeah Toronto shouldn't be that upset. They're in the top 4 in the East and will likely stay there barring a big injury.

This is the problem. Because of their division and conference they will be top 4 really no matter what. It doesn't change the fact they dont run an offense and their permitter defense is garbage.

They once won their division with Sam loving Mitchell. Being top 4 in the east just means you weren't tanking, injured, or completely dysfunctional. It's not like "hey they'll turn it on when it gets the playoffs". They have no successful system on either ends of the court.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Full album of tonight's game for anyone interested

http://imgur.com/a/w1rza

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BWV posted:

This is the problem. Because of their division and conference they will be top 4 really no matter what. It doesn't change the fact they dont run an offense and their permitter defense is garbage.

They once won their division with Sam loving Mitchell. Being top 4 in the east just means you weren't tanking, injured, or completely dysfunctional. It's not like "hey they'll turn it on when it gets the playoffs". They have no successful system on either ends of the court.

Neither does Chicago. We'll have a blast playing in the 1st round!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Neither does Chicago. We'll have a blast playing in the 1st round!

Chicago would beat the Raptors in 3.

Thibs is so loving legit compared to Casey. He could beat the Raps with a high school roster.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Im frustrated with the Raptors because it's a talented team having its prime wasted by a mediocre coach who seems like a relic of twenty years ago.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thibs is struggling this year and the best players are always run into the ground by the time playoffs start. Although it does seem like Chicago has Toronto's number of late. Would be a good series I think.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

attackmole posted:

Im frustrated with the Raptors because it's a talented team having its prime wasted by a mediocre coach who seems like a relic of twenty years ago.

It's like you're sort of talking about the Wizards

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

hitze posted:

It's like you're sort of talking about the Wizards

I made a post a few days ago saying that I'm glad the Wizards exist because they make me feel less alone. They definitely feel like pretty similar situations.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Randy Wittman: Not A Scientist
https://vine.co/v/OFHMPjpuLPz

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Thibs is struggling this year and the best players are always run into the ground by the time playoffs start.

You keep posting this but I don't think its really true

Year 1: Maybe they were worn down, but they made it to the ECF. This was more a problem of a young team making a deep push and ran into a good Miami team
Year 2: They lost because Rose tore his ACL
Year 3: They beat Brooklyn despite the Flu and a Deng Staph infection (neither related to minutes played) and then ran into Miami who outclassed them, they had 0 chance.
Year 4: Maybe Noah was worn down? This was largely a lost year as after Noah DJ Augustin had the 2nd best PER on the team. They gave away Deng to get ready for this year. That's why they didn't go far, not really minutes.

Even if Thibs didn't play any player more than 30 minutes a game I don't see any year being any different. Did you really think Noah+DJ was enough for a deep playoff push?

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I didn't see the game but by the box score it looks like the Bulls are still bad.

Why's Derrick gotta keep jacking threes?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The Raptors are only a year removed from terrible iso Rudy Gay era basketball. I know it's easy to criticise as a dude sitting around watching TV, but the fundamental issues of a stagnant offense combined with a coach not interested in holding players accountable for their shots/encouraging them to shoot through slumps are still there. It feels like the offense works better now than because we have a well constructed roster that compliments each other nicely and not because of any changes whatsoever to the X's and O's (although who knows, I'm not exactly good at identifying that stuff). I mean, I'm happy that we have a good record and it's practically the best Raptors team of my lifetime, but it feels like there's fundamental, obvious flaws in the team that have been there for over a year and don't seem like they're ever going to be addressed or corrected by Casey. Maybe it's impossible with the roster and he's doing his best, but gently caress it, it certainly doesn't look like he's interested in changing anything. Hell, last year he joked with reporters that the offensive sets from the Gay to the post-Gay era were entirely the same. That's not something to be proud of. It's frustrating because it's not just that the team has never moved the ball well and shoots themselves out of games, it's that the coach seems perfectly content with that.

I mean, I know it's easy to sit on the couch and say "move the ball and stop taking lovely shots" and it's not quite that simple, but man, it's a team that plays an ugly style of basketball with no evidence of even trying to stop.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 5, 2015

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

hitze posted:

Randy Wittman: Not A Scientist
https://vine.co/v/OFHMPjpuLPz

Speaking of dumb coaches, what's the context on this?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

attackmole posted:

I mean, I know it's easy to sit on the couch and say "move the ball and stop taking lovely shots" and it's not quite that simple, but man, it's a team that plays an ugly style of basketball with no evidence of even trying to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtL5KyomKmA&t=267s

This explains it all. This, and the fact that their pick and roll defense is horrendous.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

attackmole posted:

The Raptors are only a year removed from terrible iso Rudy Gay era basketball. I know it's easy to criticise as a dude sitting around watching TV, but the fundamental issues of a stagnant offense combined with a coach not interested in holding players accountable for their shots/encouraging them to shoot through slumps are still there. It feels like the offense works better now than because we have a well constructed roster that compliments each other nicely and not because of any changes whatsoever to the X's and O's (although who knows, I'm not exactly good at identifying that stuff). I mean, I'm happy that we have a good record and it's practically the best Raptors team of my lifetime, but it feels like there's fundamental, obvious flaws in the team that have been there for over a year and don't seem like they're ever going to be addressed or corrected by Casey. Maybe it's impossible with the roster and he's doing his best, but gently caress it, it certainly doesn't look like he's interested in changing anything. Hell, last year he joked with reporters that the offensive sets from the Gay to the post-Gay era were entirely the same. That's not something to be proud of. It's frustrating because it's not just that the team has never moved the ball well and shoots themselves out of games, it's that the coach seems perfectly content with that.

This is truth.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

You keep posting this but I don't think its really true

Year 1: Maybe they were worn down, but they made it to the ECF. This was more a problem of a young team making a deep push and ran into a good Miami team
Year 2: They lost because Rose tore his ACL
Year 3: They beat Brooklyn despite the Flu and a Deng Staph infection (neither related to minutes played) and then ran into Miami who outclassed them, they had 0 chance.
Year 4: Maybe Noah was worn down? This was largely a lost year as after Noah DJ Augustin had the 2nd best PER on the team. They gave away Deng to get ready for this year. That's why they didn't go far, not really minutes.

Even if Thibs didn't play any player more than 30 minutes a game I don't see any year being any different. Did you really think Noah+DJ was enough for a deep playoff push?

Year 1: They looked beat in the playoffs. Deng and Boozer were not the same players. They struggled against a bad Indiana team and even the Hawks gave them some troubles. Maybe they don't beat Miami rested, but that team wasn't the same one that had won 62 games in the season.

Year 2: They lost to a garbage Philly team in 6 games. And while I won't blame the injury on Thibs, Derrick had no business being on the court at the time he tore his ACL.

Year 3: Noah had to play on one leg in the playoffs that year due to plantar fascitis. Yes they wouldn't have beaten Miami but their best player was still worn down from an overuse injury.

Year 4: Again, they ran Noah into the ground to the point he played on one leg and got destroyed in the playoffs. He had to have knee surgery in the offseason and looks like a shell of his former self to this day. Butler couldn't keep up with the wings on Washington and Dunleavy was gassed (he played 2600 minutes at age 33!). They got run out of the gym by Washington and weren't even competitive.

And we don't even have to wait till the playoffs this season. Butler has faded as the season has worn on (he's averaging 2 minutes more a game than anyone in this league) . Gasol looks so tired in games he can barely make it down the court in the 2nd half.

No doubt Thibs is a great regular season coach. But he's lost to a lower seeded team 3 out of his 4 years here. His teams have looked gassed come playoff time. At what point does that fall on him?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Norris Cole is amazing
http://gfycat.com/MintyLiveHousefly
http://gfycat.com/PlainScarceKrill

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also, Robinson Cano's option was picked up

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Also, Robinson Cano's option was picked up

is he going to re-sign with the sonics thunder?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

roundmidnight posted:

is he going to re-sign with the sonics thunder?

They're going to trade him for beans to cut payroll.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Norris Cole made me face palm today so hard I barely watched to see us lose. You know that feeling when your stomach drops out after going down a steep hill. Thats the feeling of watching the heat guards this year. Wade please come back faster thanks.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
N: Curry Warriors won

V:

edit:

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 5, 2015

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

attackmole posted:

Well said. It's just infuriating watching the team right now, even with the past 2 losses to lovely teams aside. Even the 6-win streak was painful to watch as those were just really ugly basketball against bad teams. The wins were mostly due to Valanciunas creating a decent cushion due to his early scoring and chucked threes going in sustaining it. I just don't see this team making it past the first round, as they'll be out-coached by most teams they'll face or their bigs are just going to be outplayed. The biggest thing though is that they just have no clue what to do on offense when their threes aren't falling.

Most non-Raptors fans are mostly gonna see this as unnecessary whining, but the main issue here isn't the season record so much so it doesn't really matter if the Bulls or Wizards are doing just as bad. They're guaranteed to be at least 4th and they don't even have to try. The main issue is that this team just has no offense to speak of, they give up on offensive sets (when they run them) and just fall apart when their shot isn't going. It hasn't changed since late last year and there are still no signs of it improving anytime soon. That just translates to being exposed and an early exit in the playoffs. Though I do hope they prove me wrong.

At least subscribing to ballstreams has allowed me to watch some much better basketball this year. It's been a great season for the league so far.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If anyone wants to know what Joey Dorsey is all about

https://vine.co/v/OFXY52zPi5K

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Norris Cole inducted into dumbest turnovers Hall of Fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seVaRfDua54

Rivaling Corey Maggette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxhJvgKNUCI

And one of a few Lamar Odomisms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQtRXQpZHHg

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

PtR posted:

A couple of games ago, Duncan vacated his usual interview spot, near Cory Joseph's locker, to talk to us from the middle of the room, sitting in Belinelli's unoccupied chair. Joseph gave him some good-natured flack about it, hollering across from the room, about how Duncan was acting big-time.

Fast-forward to today. Duncan stands as close to Joseph's stall as humanly possible, basically rubbing up against the sitting Joseph, during his entire interview. He fields a question an opening question about the game with "We let them hang around too much but honestly it was good to make some big shots down the stretch... Tony made a big one, Boris made a big one... Cory was awful... but to fight through that and find a way to win the game down the stretch was good for us."]

You know the Spurs are playing very poorly when they are this excited about beating a team on a 9 game losing streak or whatever.

Spurs almost had their full team back for the first time this season until Tiago got sick. He wasn't going to start anyway because he's forgotten how to play defense from last year or something.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This year's rim protection stuff is finally live on nyloncalculus

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/
Your top men. These men are saving a ton of points per game. After them you basically get centers and the odd pf, there could still be some noise and scheme stuff elevating Marreese Speightses of the world. This stat really underlines the point about the simple physical size of a center as an obstacle to the basket being really important. Guys not known as good defenders, most specifically Brook Lopez, have shown up in the top of the rest section of the rankings for the last two years.

Other points, it's nice to see Drummond showing up, he's learning to use his size to be an obstacle, slowly. John Henson is doing a much better job at rim protection than he did last year.

Rudy Gobert
Hassan Whiteside
Andrew Bogut
Roy Hibbert
Sam Dalembert
Larry Sanders
Marreese Speights
Jonas Valanciunas
Tyler Zeller
Brook Lopez
Pau Gasol
Kyle O'Quinn
John Henson
Andre Drummond
Robin Lopez

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/02/04/made-miss-projecting-rim-protection-metrics/
Of course, it's not all skill

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 5, 2015

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's a good thing Miami has capspace in two years because they won't have bird rights for Whiteside and he's going to be getting a max contract

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

On one hand the Raptors are actually winning, and will likely continue to do so, so they are essentially a lock for first round homecourt advantage in the playoffs.

On the other, their entire backcourt rotation is made up of low efficiency chuckers, and their most efficient and most productive (on a per minute basis) player is a guy the coach seems to refuse to play longer than 25 minutes a game, and the fanbase wanted to trade him a little while back.

Toronto is weird.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Igor Strelkov posted:

This year's rim protection stuff is finally live on nyloncalculus

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/
Your top men. These men are saving a ton of points per game. After them you basically get centers and the odd pf, there could still be some noise and scheme stuff elevating Marreese Speightses of the world. This stat really underlines the point about the simple physical size of a center as an obstacle to the basket being really important. Guys not known as good defenders, most specifically Brook Lopez, have shown up in the top of the rest section of the rankings for the last two years.

Other points, it's nice to see Drummond showing up, he's learning to use his size to be an obstacle, slowly. John Henson is doing a much better job at rim protection than he did last year.

Rudy Gobert
Hassan Whiteside
Andrew Bogut
Roy Hibbert
Sam Dalembert
Larry Sanders
Marreese Speights
Jonas Valanciunas
Tyler Zeller
Brook Lopez
Pau Gasol
Kyle O'Quinn
John Henson
Andre Drummond
Robin Lopez

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/02/04/made-miss-projecting-rim-protection-metrics/
Of course, it's not all skill

I don't think the per 36 numbers are relevant in this case. Don't know why they added those.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
David Lee being rated as a better rim protector than DeAndre Jordan and Marc Gasol is pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Dwane Casey certainly isn't helping the Raptors, but I also don't think they currently have the talent to be real contenders. Their three best players are Lowry, Valanciunas, and... Amir Johnson? DeRozan? Don't get me wrong, it's well constructed and the players complement each other nicely, but I just think they need at least another top 15 player before they can be reasonably expected to get out of the conference finals and put up a fight against a team from the West.

• Locked thread