Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I jsut really hope that this Daredevil doesn't start with Matt killing badguys like the Affleck version did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The brief shot of a police car in the background (through an alleyway) showed a blue NYPD car and the cops were wearing light blue shirts. Those cars and shirts have not been used since the 90's.

So either this is a flashback in general (likely) or Marvel kept a nice secret about the setting of this show? Which would make sense because Hell's Kitchen hasn't been very dangerous the past decade or so.

GraphX-Man
Apr 1, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DC's doing the dumb thing where Batman and Superman can't show up in a show because they're in a movie and the fragile populace just CANNOT COMPREHEND two actors being Batman at the same time, aren't they? So are they just gonna have Nightwing and Oracle tiptoe around their relation to Batman? That'll be interesting/fun to watch.

It's especially annoying since Harrison Wells' future newspaper thing has a smaller headline saying something about a Queen Consolidated/Wayne Enterprises joint venture. Batman clearly exists in the GA/Flash TV-verse (in the same way Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns probably do), but perhaps he won't show up or no one has heard of him yet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

GraphX-Man posted:

It's especially annoying since Harrison Wells' future newspaper thing has a smaller headline saying something about a Queen Consolidated/Wayne Enterprises joint venture. Batman clearly exists in the GA/Flash TV-verse (in the same way Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns probably do), but perhaps he won't show up or no one has heard of him yet.

If Supergirl exists in the Arrowverse like they have been teasing in interviews, that would go a long way in cementing who exists where, since I don't see how they do Supergirl without either explaining Superman or going with a weird story where he never landed on Earth or something.

I'd be totally happy and ok with things not lining up like in the comics if they just go hog wild and clearly define the TVU as a specific Alternate Earth. Give it a number, and just go for it. And by go for it, explain WHY things are different.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I figure that, since they also have Jimmy Olson on the show, Supergirl is going to occupy the place Superman does normally. Meaning, Last Daughter of Krypton and so on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The brief shot of a police car in the background (through an alleyway) showed a blue NYPD car and the cops were wearing light blue shirts. Those cars and shirts have not been used since the 90's.

So either this is a flashback in general (likely) or Marvel kept a nice secret about the setting of this show? Which would make sense because Hell's Kitchen hasn't been very dangerous the past decade or so.

I've seen a lot of people saying this, but MCU Hell's Kitchen doesn't have to resemble IRL Hell's Kitchen in anyway.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

That doesn't really bug me much, though. The MCU doesn't have to be 1 for 1 analogous to ours, so Hell's Kitchen still being a dangerous shithole in that universe is fine. Plus, who knows what effect the Hulk and Abomination trashing Harlem followed by Loki trashing another large portion of the city has had. It's not a stretch to believe certain sections of New York are far different after all of that destruction.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

YouĂ¢Â€Â™re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

It could be a scene at the death of Matt's dad.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
That Daredevil outfit is so terrible; I really hope it's a pre-costume cobbled-together thing.

Underarmor longsleeve, black slacks... yikes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I desperately hope they're going for the "Did a blind man design your costume?" joke.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Ville Valo posted:

That Daredevil outfit is so terrible; I really hope it's a pre-costume cobbled-together thing.

The rumour is that he may not get the red costume til the finale.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

It could be a scene at the death of Matt's dad.

That's what I figured it most likely is.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Dacap posted:

The rumour is that he may not get the red costume til the finale.

I wish they'd take the lesson from Flash and put them in the costume, with the superhero moniker, right from the start.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

I wish they'd take the lesson from Flash and put them in the costume, with the superhero moniker, right from the start.

He might have the yellow costume for a bit. That suit looks like the one from Man without fear.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

To be fair, they called him the Blur for a few episodes. But yeah, I do appreciate The Flash bucking the stupid trend set by freaking SMALLVILLE of all things that even The Arrow decided to follow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

They didn't make it up it's from the Man Without Fear run aka Daredevil's origin story aka what the TV show is about.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Sorry, but that bandanna looks cool as hell.

Also, let's not pretend Daredevil's standard costume doesn't look goofy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red Batman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Red Batman.

Needs more armor

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

I've seen a lot of people saying this, but MCU Hell's Kitchen doesn't have to resemble IRL Hell's Kitchen in anyway.

In Welcome Back, Frank the Punisher is really mad at Giuliani for cleaning up Hell's Kitchen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Needs more armor

I'm hearing this in Judge Doom's voice.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Supergirl isn't part of the Arrowverse, Superman already exists in her show's world.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Angry Walrus posted:

Supergirl isn't part of the Arrowverse, Superman already exists in her show's world.

Where did you hear this?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

XboxPants posted:

Where did you hear this?

The official logline of the show mentions she has a famous cousin. And we've been told Superman doesn't exist in the CW verse so people are just putting two and two together really.

"“Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

The official logline of the show mentions she has a famous cousin. And we've been told Superman doesn't exist in the CW verse so people are just putting two and two together really.

"“Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.”

Whether or not it's in the Arrowverse, I think it's a bad call to have Clark exist on that show. Partly because DC/WB will never let him appear, so what's the point? And if he's never going to appear, it's much more powerful, and contemporary and original to have HER be the first. Just make your Superman show, but with a lady as the lead. Hell, have Lucy Lane as a junior copy-writer who becomes Kara/Linda's best pal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think that longline means Superman is around in the universe of the show. They're saying this character is the cousin of the famous character you've heard of.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

greatn posted:

I don't think that longline means Superman is around in the universe of the show. They're saying this character is the cousin of the famous character you've heard of.

That's how I read it the first time I saw that paragraph, but now that people are pointing it out I'm not sure. "More famous cousin" could easily mean "more famous in OUR world" rather than "more famous in the world of the show", let's hope that's what it is.

Gaz-L posted:

Whether or not it's in the Arrowverse, I think it's a bad call to have Clark exist on that show. Partly because DC/WB will never let him appear, so what's the point? And if he's never going to appear, it's much more powerful, and contemporary and original to have HER be the first. Just make your Superman show, but with a lady as the lead. Hell, have Lucy Lane as a junior copy-writer who becomes Kara/Linda's best pal.

Yeah, that sucks if that's what they're doing and we get another weird Birds of Prey situation. (I didn't actually watch that show but from what I understand that had a similar & stupid treatment of Batman)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also the Arrowverse producer who also produces Supergirl has been asked multiple times whether or not it is in the same universe and he has never given a straight answer that I have seen, which makes it seem like they are currently leaving the door open at the moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What it's going to come down to is the first script they get that has a real good idea that either puts it in the Arrow TV universe or explicitly makes it not.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The thing I read about Supergirl's first villain The Lumberjack was that he had fought Superman before.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Klungar posted:

The thing I read about Supergirl's first villain The Lumberjack was that he had fought Superman before.

Unless it's a major plot point, that can be fixed pretty easily with a dubbed line or two in post.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope they take inspiration from the casting on the CW shows and cast Michael C Hall as that villain.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

e X posted:

I figure that, since they also have Jimmy Olson on the show, Supergirl is going to occupy the place Superman does normally. Meaning, Last Daughter of Krypton and so on.

This would be really cool.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Where did you hear this?

It's in the leaked sides actresses have used to audition. Superman exists in that world but all points to him existing off-screen.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

It's in the leaked sides actresses have used to audition. Superman exists in that world but all points to him existing off-screen.

http://collider.com/supergirl-tv-series-auditions/ (the videos have been removed but the article has summaries)

Well that's some kinda bullshit. Interest just dropped way down.

(though to be fair you can only judge so far based on a premise, if it has good writers and actors and directors and producers it'll be a good show regardless)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, they called him the Blur for a few episodes. But yeah, I do appreciate The Flash bucking the stupid trend set by freaking SMALLVILLE of all things that even The Arrow decided to follow.

The naming thing ties pretty deeply into the story in Arrow though. The Hood/Vigilante wasn't The Arrow yet , who probably isn't what the Green Arrow will become. The Hood was out for revenge and killing indiscriminately, The Arrow tries to protect people and only kills from time to time. Also, he's bad at swordfighting.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Decius posted:

The naming thing ties pretty deeply into the story in Arrow though. The Hood/Vigilante wasn't The Arrow yet , who probably isn't what the Green Arrow will become. The Hood was out for revenge and killing indiscriminately, The Arrow tries to protect people and only kills from time to time. Also, he's bad at swordfighting.

But in giving up his blood lust he has gained the ability to survive being stabbed all the way through the chest and kicked off a mountain, in the snow, wearing only pants, by doing nothing more than drinking moldy tea and applying bandages, so he has that going for him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chest wounds, falls and exposure are all survivable.

If you add 3 survivable things together that makes it even more survivable. It's just math.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ToastyPotato posted:

But in giving up his blood lust he has gained the ability to survive being stabbed all the way through the chest and kicked off a mountain, in the snow, wearing only pants, by doing nothing more than drinking moldy tea and applying bandages, so he has that going for him.
Lazarus tea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They've started shooting on AKA Jessica Jones

So not shocking or relevatory or anything but that's what Jess is going to look like.