Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Same! Which is why I think it's a really stupid design choice in a game purportedly written in 2014 instead of 1995.

Woah, woah, let's be fair here. It was dumb in 1995 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I was kind of exasperated at the Lunar fluff at first glance - it feels very strongly like a reaction against 2e, rather than driven from any raw source - but I'm not prepared to give it too much poo poo until I see how it's expanded on in practice.

I haven't really read the leak fully yet, been busy, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Well my impression of LUNARITY in previous editions is

1E: "You liked playing Werewolf, we know that. C'mon. C'moooon. You can be a barbarian and stuff. Come onnnnnn."
2E: "Earnest attempt to institute a Lunar organization of some kind, with a couple of interesting ideas and a fair bit of durp."

2E was an improvement, if not necessarily 'good' - does 3E do something new or is it just 'not 2E'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ithle01 posted:

Woah, woah, let's be fair here. It was dumb in 1995 too.

They should just re-use the system from Street Fighter the Roleplaying Game.

:downs:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Let's all take a moment to talk about the meat bun story.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's really good! Really puts the immediate following one with the sig character in it to shame.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Rand Brittain posted:

Let's all take a moment to talk about the meat bun story.

It reminded me of something Dr. Jenna Moran would write, though I don't know if she actually did. It was pretty great. Ferrinus is right though, the one immediately following about Novia Claro was kind of boring, especially in comparison.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dammit Who? posted:

It reminded me of something Dr. Jenna Moran would write, though I don't know if she actually did. It was pretty great. Ferrinus is right though, the one immediately following about Novia Claro was kind of boring, especially in comparison.

It's Jenna's story, yeah.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm pretty sure it actually is by Moran. I think they bragged that she was writing their intro fiction in some update or other. I especially liked the part where Eastern Star landed so hard she blew all the surrounding water into the sky. Also the part where as per tradition a still-wet-behind-the-ears Solar kicks the poo poo out of a bunch of lesser Exalted ahahaha eat it all of you.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Nessus posted:

Well my impression of LUNARITY in previous editions is

1E: "You liked playing Werewolf, we know that. C'mon. C'moooon. You can be a barbarian and stuff. Come onnnnnn."
2E: "Earnest attempt to institute a Lunar organization of some kind, with a couple of interesting ideas and a fair bit of durp."

2E was an improvement, if not necessarily 'good' - does 3E do something new or is it just 'not 2E'

3E Lunars, from my rough impression, are all about the Maoism-Third Worldism and the asymmetric warfare against the Terrestrial oppressor. The Silver Pact considers it a duty to fix each new Lunar's caste, and to invite them to partake in loving up the Realm; sponsorship by an Elder is now actually a big deal and a useful asset instead of a mandatory frolicking-and-dogfucking quota before you're allowed to be the hero.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
That story put me in a such a better mood for reading through all this stuff I already know. Though the twenty-four hour day can go gently caress itself.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

slut chan posted:

What dark corner of the internet do I have to sacrifice myself to for this?

Ah poo poo is this real? I thought everyone was just goofing around.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Calde posted:

That story put me in a such a better mood for reading through all this stuff I already know. Though the twenty-four hour day can go gently caress itself.
Wait is the Creation equivalent of 24/7 not 25/5 anymore?

loving hell.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

What? No. You're lying. They can't do that. They can't DO that!

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Zereth posted:

Wait is the Creation equivalent of 24/7 not 25/5 anymore?

loving hell.

It was actually 25/7!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Calde posted:

It was actually 25/7!
I would have sworn months were 5 weeks of 5 days each.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

Five days for Venus, Mars, etc. and then two days for Sol and Luna.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Zereth posted:

Months have twenty-eight days in the 1E corebook. Four weeks of seven days, each named after a maiden, luna and the sun, is how we do it, I'm not sure if that's from the books or not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

Also the part where as per tradition a still-wet-behind-the-ears Solar kicks the poo poo out of a bunch of lesser Exalted ahahaha eat it all of you.
Looks like this sun...

Ferrinus posted:

What? No. You're lying. They can't do that. They can't DO that!
Is setting fast.

:frogc00l:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I started making the character to see how the system has changed. So far, combat appears to be even worse.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Wait, are you guys saying the full book has been leaked now? Or are you talking about the playtest, still?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The person who thought Iniative damage was a good idea needs to be brought low for the good of Creation.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The person who thought Iniative damage was a good idea needs to be brought low for the good of Creation.

Is that as dire as it sounds? Because going by 2e's initiative system(which was one of the few things I really loved about it and wish more systems would use, since it had very tangible benefits for being quick or using small-but-fast weapons, and was generally pretty smooth once you got the hang of it), I'm imagining "initiative damage" as being something that knocks enemies further down the "tick" order, which seems like a fast lane to being able to stunlock enemies in broken and unfun ways.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Is that as dire as it sounds?

Idiot tg goon makes pronouncement about Thing without testing his poo poo out or running a long term game. You can do the math. I'm not saying its perfect but it's kind of early.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

Is that as dire as it sounds? Because going by 2e's initiative system(which was one of the few things I really loved about it and wish more systems would use, since it had very tangible benefits for being quick or using small-but-fast weapons, and was generally pretty smooth once you got the hang of it), I'm imagining "initiative damage" as being something that knocks enemies further down the "tick" order, which seems like a fast lane to being able to stunlock enemies in broken and unfun ways.
Initiative is a representation of how well the fight is going in your favor, and you get it by making normal attacks, and can use it to make attacks which can actually hurt/kill people.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Because going by 2e's initiative system(which was one of the few things I really loved about it and wish more systems would use, since it had very tangible benefits for being quick or using small-but-fast weapons, and was generally pretty smooth once you got the hang of it),

I'm just going to just shrug and say gently caress that, because even in Exalted games where I wasn't the ST I had to keep track of the loving tick order for the rest of the group, because I was the only one who actually had the time and patience to bother with it.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm imagining "initiative damage" as being something that knocks enemies further down the "tick" order, which seems like a fast lane to being able to stunlock enemies in broken and unfun ways.

Sort of? Initiative order is flexible every turn, but everyone gets a turn. It's because your initiative determines how much damage you do on an attack. So you drain it from your opponents, which pushes them back in the turn order.

It's worked a lot more smoothly and quickly than 2E, at any rate.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait it's also "who goes first"?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

Wait it's also "who goes first"?

Highest initiative always goes first as well, then working your way down.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Well done, Exalted 3E, you removed the one, novel mechanic that Exalted 2E actually did well and replaced it with something generic. That's a loving feat.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

the one, novel mechanic that Exalted 2E actually did well and replaced it with something generic

I do not want to be mean or hostile but uh,

uhhh....

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Well done, Exalted 3E, you removed the one, novel mechanic that Exalted 2E actually did well and replaced it with something generic. That's a loving feat.

lol

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Perfect Defense Against Reading

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm dubious of changes in initiative actually causing people's turns to shuffle back and forth mid-fight, but you're a goddamn maniac if you'd rather have 2E ticks.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

PurpleXVI posted:

Not sure this is entirely correct.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I would rather have actual ticks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I'm dubious of changes in initiative actually causing people's turns to shuffle back and forth mid-fight, but you're a goddamn maniac if you'd rather have 2E ticks.

What annoyed you so much about 2E ticks?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

"Exalted combat is quick and dynamic!" *Ten billion things and stats you have to keep track of that keep changing during play*

The new initiative/combat system sounds like a huuuuuge pain. The Tick Wheel in 2E was really easy to use once you got the idea to just draw a wheel and use tokens to keep track of it, any other flaws it might have had.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Ferrinus posted:

My main concern is how am I going to keep track of everyone playing Initiative Musical Chairs.

My second concern is how easy it might be to just lock somebody out of a fight by Initiative Crashing them if you gang up on them.

Still, looking forward to finally testing this poo poo out and seeing what happens.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

What annoyed you so much about 2E ticks?

Have you ever used them?

Denim Avenger posted:

My second concern is how easy it might be to just lock somebody out of a fight by Initiative Crashing them if you gang up on them.

I haven't actually read the combat rules yet, but I'm pretty sure you still get an action no matter what happens to your initiative - you just go dead last. The greatest amount of extra action fuckery available, Charms aside, is going after someone and stealing so much initiative from them in the process that you go ahead of them next round, effectively granting yourself a double turn.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Exalted combat is quick and dynamic!" *Ten billion things and stats you have to keep track of that keep changing during play*

The new initiative/combat system sounds like a huuuuuge pain. The Tick Wheel in 2E was really easy to use once you got the idea to just draw a wheel and use tokens to keep track of it, any other flaws it might have had.

Initiative, health, and motes. So just three things, actually.

Meanwhile, I still don't understand how to handle a new player joining a fight already in progress with 2E ticks. I was convinced the rules were somewhere in the book, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know? I'd just keep making new rules of my own while fumbling for it. I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but.

Literally, Initiative is just 'the biggest number goes first and does the most damage.' It's generic, maybe? I don't know of any other game that works like Ex3's combat system but Dissidia. But it's a given that it's also much, much simpler?

Denim Avenger posted:

My main concern is how am I going to keep track of everyone playing Initiative Musical Chairs.

When the alpha leaked, I just used a small whiteboard and a marker and used it like a scoreboard everyone can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And the combat charms are so much more worse. There's like a bajillion of them, all manipulating some slight condition or stat or minor bonus or whatnot. It's like they thought they needed to make sure you spent all your starting charms on the one skill, so that sword guy can only sword and nothing else. It easily feels like they doubled the number of charms for each combat skill, and something like 75% of them are completely worthless.

E: I haven't played 2E in like three years at this point, and I remember how it works off the top fo my head: take the highest initiative rolled at the start of combat and substract the result of the new dude'S intitiative roll from it: that's the number of ticks it takes for him/her to join combat.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 5, 2015

• Locked thread