Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

I have definitely seen some stats not update properly (buying armor), so somehow the game might have not removed debuffs from stress?

I'm really not sure. I think at least one of them was hovering around 50 stress so he shouldn't have had an affliction from it. I might try running a dungeon with them to see if it changes. One of them is my only decent Plague Doctor and I haven't had any arrive in the caravan for a couple weeks, so it'll be shame to see him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Well I've got a frustrating bug or I'm dense. No matter which trait I select in the sanitarium, when I spend a week in the dungeon it has removed the top trait. I'd rather not go through 3 more unimportant traits to finally remove Lockjaw and the Wasting Sickness from my Bounty Hunter. Also, I've got a couple of adventurers who both pick up Love Interest on the same mission, and I'd rather not break up their romance just to remove some of their other traits.

Someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I drag the hero into the sanitarium slot. I click on the trait I want removed and it lights up red. And then I click the button where it says "Remove (Trait)" $xxxx. Is there something else I need to do?

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Darkn1o posted:

As a side note, can someone check the JSON files to see if characters can have more than 7 positive quirks or if they start getting replaced? I don't think my characters have more than 7 or they were already replaced. I don't want my characters to lose their +accuracy quirks.

The limit is 7, and new quirks will replace an old one. Not sure how it chooses which to replace currently though, may just be whatever is at the bottom of the list or random.

TheBlandName posted:

Someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I drag the hero into the sanitarium slot. I click on the trait I want removed and it lights up red. And then I click the button where it says "Remove (Trait)" $xxxx. Is there something else I need to do?

That's a bug. Removing the wrong affliction will likely be an intentional thing, but not the way it is currently happening. It'll also likely mention that it screwed up in the Log when it's screwing up on purpose.

[saw this mentioned a few times]
The AoE all-crit/miss thing is almost definitely a bug that will be fixed. The conflicting stress relief penalties will likely be tweaked as well (and quirks in general will be made more context appropriate from what I've heard) - as some just don't make sense to have at the same time (outside of the game mechanics of being mutually exclusive)

[posted something similar earlier, but this is about dungeon stress healing rather then mucking with holy lance and movement abilities]

For those out of spa coupons and full of stress, if you can scrape together 4 torches and *12 food, and the right skills in the following group, you can battlefield heal anyone up to full relatively easy:
2 Crusaders with the Stress heal and stun, a Vestal with stun/single target heal/optionally the self heal damaging skill/optionally the -ACC front line hit in case of shuffle
The crusaders will heal any amount of stress (and some hp!) and fill your torch, along with the vestal healing and stunning and causing enemies to miss so you stay safe from new crits.
The 4th member can be whoever is overly stressed. You can do the same thing with only one Crusader of course, but your third should to be able to contribute to healing or stunning to keep ahead of unlucky RNG.

*Run a medium dungeon, and camp in the first third for huge buffs and stress healing - the 12 food is so you can feast and still have food for another hunger event.

Gear the Vestal for crit as well, and her self heal smite/stuns will also reduce stress pretty decently.

I'm not super far into the game due to limited play time and screwing around with things, but have used this successfully on multiple occasions to reduce 50% or higher stressed A-teamers to full health and 0 stress - along with fairly solid clears due to high sustain/early buff camp + staying in the crypts for the unholy bonuses. It's my suspicion the in-town stress relief is likely only *needed* for super high stress (80%+) that will get ambushed into a mental break on the first fight, or for those already insane (or for poors who can't put together the right load-out for it). Otherwise you probably want to get rid of them / show them that the dungeon isn't that scary when you bring the disciples of :sparkles: Jesus with you.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 5, 2015

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think the Sanitarium is likely buggy right now (I think it would be cool if the Sanitarium had a 10-20% or so chance to do something unexpected).

I've definitely had traits other than the ones selected removed (but not consistently).

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Well that was a bummer. Put my viking spear murder lady into a stress relief activity, when she came out the game spat out an error message on caretaker screen and deleted all of her items. She had the only item I had found that was all positive and no negatives. Kind of killed my desire to play the game.

Also some of the items or tooltips seem to be bugged. I put on a minus dodge item on my Leper and once I took it off it still showed him with the dodge debuff. It doesn't help that the tooltips as for what is buffing/debuffing you on the stat screen are somehow less helpful than excel tooltips.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Was there mention that stuff like tetanus and lockjaw were going to be removable by some other means than the sanitarium, since their illnesses rather normal psychological quirks? I've had bad luck here or there with the little vomit cannon pigs stacking diseases like crazy. My only jester at the moment is buried under diseases right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Well the Necromancer wasn't that hard so I'm sure my B team can handle taking out this Hag! :downs:"

:stonk:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Hope you have Iron Swan on that hellion!

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

tidiox posted:

I'm really not sure. I think at least one of them was hovering around 50 stress so he shouldn't have had an affliction from it. I might try running a dungeon with them to see if it changes. One of them is my only decent Plague Doctor and I haven't had any arrive in the caravan for a couple weeks, so it'll be shame to see him go.

I just entered and left a dungeon with them, and it reset them all back to their normal stats once I'd retreated. That's a relief.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

RubberBands Hurt posted:

That's a bug. Removing the wrong affliction will likely be an intentional thing, but not the way it is currently happening. It'll also likely mention that it screwed up in the Log when it's screwing up on purpose.

Ah well, I can live with it. Haven't picked up many nasty afflictions outside of the ones I mentioned. Just updated the game and Lockjaw was made less punishing, and on the trip to kill the Swine Prince my Bounty Hunter dodged all the vomit until burning scrolls removed the wasting disease. Also, my Hellion with Natural Swing picked up Fated, which gives a chance for misses to turn into hits. Really, the only guy who came out of that trip worse than he went in was the Leper I brought.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

drat. The difficulty jump from doing primarily short/medium level 1 dungeons to medium/long level 3 dungeons is pretty huge. My immobile stun-lock based comp got wrecked within like 3 fights.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the game is really fun when you send broken people out on hopeless missions instead of firing them, and they somehow come back having completed the mission.

death is a much cheaper cure for insanity than the sanitarium.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Apple2o posted:

drat. The difficulty jump from doing primarily short/medium level 1 dungeons to medium/long level 3 dungeons is pretty huge. My immobile stun-lock based comp got wrecked within like 3 fights.
Get used to enemies with higher resistances. I found myself shifting from a stun-based strategy to a DPS-centric one in a hurry. Once enough upgrades rolled in, it gets more reasonable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like that this game is really easy to learn, compared to most rogue likes which just flip you off and expect you to just innately know everything. So far, even when my guys have died because of an ambush, it's always been easy to adjust and adapt and the battle escape thing works really well. Somehow my first shooter guy is still alive and even managed to un-insane himself. Though that was short lived when a skeleton got the drop on me and shanked the bleeding vestal to death.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm debating on getting this game. It looks wicked fun, but I'm also a giant sissy baby that would get really mad that I perma-lost someone. (Even though I play roguelikes)

Is there an acutal "Game over" situation or do you just kind of slowly upgrade your base and party (assuming they don't die) in spite of losing adventurers?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there ever any actual reason to discard a trinket?
They take up too much space on monty haul dungeon runs. I discarded three or four of them last dungeon.

seems about it

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Saxophone posted:

I'm debating on getting this game. It looks wicked fun, but I'm also a giant sissy baby that would get really mad that I perma-lost someone. (Even though I play roguelikes)

Is there an acutal "Game over" situation or do you just kind of slowly upgrade your base and party (assuming they don't die) in spite of losing adventurers?

Get it, the game is pretty awesome. There's no actual "game overs" yet. But; losing leveled up and upgraded heroes is still excruciatingly painful.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Saxophone posted:

its more like you manage an adventuring business and human life is really cheap

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Week 10 and I still have not gotten a Hellion from the wagon.

Oh well, maybe I'll get one soon. I'm going to have farm gold with redshirts for a few weeks. I got cocky and attempted my first level 3 mission with three level 2s and a level 1. Made it halfway through and stupidly decided "one more room and I'll camp." I barely won the fight after three characters hit 100 stress. The Paranoid Crusader ended the fight at Death's Door, and then would not accepting healing from anyone at camp. Abandoned the quest after that, and all four came away with nasty negative quirks.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I've just played a small amount, but my starting 4 guys that had a terrible time and were all like 80% stress because I couldn't find the "give up" flag so I kept going went on a 4-man insane suicide 0-provision mission. And proceeded to lay waste to every enemy and clear the whole place. I promptly took all the loot and fired the lot of them.

The intro and narration and atmosphere does an amazing job of blending several lovecraft stories together and adding a bit into it. I may already be partial to The Rats in the Walls, so that might be influencing me!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone have advice for the swamp Hag? Kind of stumped as to how to beat her. My good party members are either level 3 and refuse to go or got eaten by the Hag last time I fought her. Now I'm in an awkward position where I need to train up some new recruits while also keeping more of my guys from hitting rank 3 so they can actually go on the mission. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't feel like certain classes are completely useless against that boss due to that loving pot.

EDIT: Also some people mentioned not needing a healer but that seems literally impossible to me. Almost every fight my guys take some damage and over the course of a dungeon it would accumulate to lethal amounts if I didn't have a healer. Plus they keep your torch going longer which is nice.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 5, 2015

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Lotish posted:

Was there mention that stuff like tetanus and lockjaw were going to be removable by some other means than the sanitarium, since their illnesses rather normal psychological quirks? I've had bad luck here or there with the little vomit cannon pigs stacking diseases like crazy. My only jester at the moment is buried under diseases right now.

Alleviating, or at least attempting to alleviate chronic medical illnesses is actually what sanitariums are for. Tuberculosis sanitariums were a big thing up until they developed a better cure for it, but nowadays most people have only heard the term used in reference to a psychiatric hospital since that usage is a little more current.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My starting Crusader died in a battle with the Necromancer, which must've pissed off my Vestal because when she stressed out she went into "Powerful", and started nuking the guy for 21 damage a turn with that Judgment lightning bolt that self-heals. He didn't last very long.

This was a fresh-off-the-wagon Vestal with no upgrades or trinkets.

\/\/\/ I sometimes use that Highwayman ability to increase surprise, and have gotten streaks of it going off.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 5, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is the +chance to surprise monsters bugged to affect the player or am I just having the worst luck? Because I keep getting surprised on my first fight with max torch light or immediately after using a move to increase my chance of surprising the enemy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haha, my highwayman went stoic(or something similar) at 100 stress instead of going insane, and spent the rest of the dungeon telling everyone in my party what a great bunch of folks they were, and that if the group made it out alive he'd split his earnings with them.

He also got a pretty insane buff from it.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone have advice for the swamp Hag? Kind of stumped as to how to beat her.

Try to focus fire on the Hag instead of the pot. Also, go into the fight with some good attacks that hit either of the back two rows, eg Hellion's Iron Swan. Be prepared for the pot to mix up your party order, and have some healing ready for when somebody exits the pot at Death's Door.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just learned the hard way that if everyone dies you don't keep your loot, but if you can escape and return you at least keep that. Rest in peace sacrificial losers, I didn't like any of you except that one knight guy but I just recruited someone with the same skill set so whatever.

EDIT: Wow these pig men just wrecked these dudes. Every hit was a critical. Please don't make me fight the pig men.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 5, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone have advice for the swamp Hag? Kind of stumped as to how to beat her. My good party members are either level 3 and refuse to go or got eaten by the Hag last time I fought her. Now I'm in an awkward position where I need to train up some new recruits while also keeping more of my guys from hitting rank 3 so they can actually go on the mission. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't feel like certain classes are completely useless against that boss due to that loving pot.

EDIT: Also some people mentioned not needing a healer but that seems literally impossible to me. Almost every fight my guys take some damage and over the course of a dungeon it would accumulate to lethal amounts if I didn't have a healer. Plus they keep your torch going longer which is nice.

For the Hag you should pick a party where everyone can hit position 3 or 4, and nobody is going to get their attacks taken away if the person in front goes into the pot. When you start the battle someone is going to get tossed into the pot. Sucks to be them, DPS the Hag with everyone else. She's got very few HP (mid 60s) so you should be able to kill her pretty quickly. I did it with a party of mixed levels. From my roster I had a Jester, Highwayman, and Hellion who were experienced. I also took a fresh Hellion who I hired just for the fight because she was better than another Highwayman.

Clearing without a healer is difficult without upgrades but not impossible. If have skill upgrades, you're much less likely to miss key attacks. And if you have weapon upgrades enemies are less likely to survive with just a couple HP. A couple scouting trinkets are really important so you can see the traps in hallways and avoid fights if possible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

I just learned the hard way that if everyone dies you don't keep your loot, but if you can escape and return you at least keep that. Rest in peace sacrificial losers, I didn't like any of you except that one knight guy but I just recruited someone with the same skill set so whatever.

EDIT: Wow these pig men just wrecked these dudes. Every hit was a critical. Please don't make me fight the pig men.

I just tried to do an intermediate warrens mission with my A team and it was a complete failure. Third battle everyone misses, every attack crits, my Graverobber succumbs to blight. I run away screaming. Everything is terrible :negative:

EDIT: I noticed that if I buy armour for my guys, it shows up on everyone of their class. However if I take someone else to the upgrade screen they can still buy better armour. How exactly is it supposed to work?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 5, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I really need to do some warrens because I really need some of those...papers? Items to upgrade my stuff. At least it feels that way because I like to have goals beyond "throw guys at dungeon, keep the ones that don't break" Next time I play I'm going to use the guys that didn't die last time and see if they survive again. Maybe I'll clear a mission this time!

EDIT: Or is it weald that has the papers? I don't remember yet.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Weald has deeds, which are the paper icon. Warrens is portraits. Cove will have both, when it is implemented.

e: My main run is getting close to not really needing anything more in terms of heirlooms. I think it'll really cut down on the item discarding I'm currently doing on longer runs.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

tidiox posted:

The game really needs to do a better job of indicating where debuffs originate. I've got a 3 different characters who're sitting in my roster, freshly de-stressed , but for some reason they've all got -25% DMG and -5 SPD from "Other." Does Meditating give a debuff even the log shows no negative effect? (I doubt that's it, since I don't think they all meditated for de-stressing.) Could they have gotten it from something in a dungeon that doesn't show up on their character sheet? If it's a permanent debuff then I might as well toss them, but I have no idea what's causing it.

I posted about this earlier and posted in the steam group bug thread. There are a few possibilities, as far as I can tell:
First, apparently some of the de-stress events that happen randomly (like going on a drunken bender while drinking to relieve stress, for example) can carry some debuffs that aren't immediately obvious. Second (and what happened to me and probably you) seems to be that the Death's Door debuffs don't go away correctly when you get back to town. I could be wrong, but every time I've noticed that happen it's been after someone was at Death's Door in the last mission I sent them on.

In either case, taking them on a mission will have the debuff be gone when you come back to town, but it can be damned annoying for that mission.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'd like it if the Quirks your characters gain after a mission actually had something to do with how the mission played out instead of being totally random.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Feels like quirks in general need some tuning.

Right now it feels like you're getting them thrown at you by the bucketload, and managing them with the Sanatarium (bugs aside) is annoying.

When you spread that over an entire 10-15+ roster, it gets really fiddly and annoying.

I quickly moved from 'Ok I'll pick out the eldritch/weald positive dudes and dudettes' to 'Eh, nothing really horrible in the red column, let's go'.

I think I'd rather see fewer more impactful ones, or a much, much better UI for categorizing and displaying them, otherwise assembling parties for specific missions is just too much of a pain in the rear end.

Charms have similar ui gripes, but to a much lesser extent than quirks, which you can have far more of, have widely varying effects, and you can't easily summarize their total impact on a hero without looking them over almost every run (barring standouts who you've spent some time with).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

What's really annoying is totally blitzing a dungeon, everyone full health, low stress, tons of treasure

and you still end up with negative quirks. one final 'gently caress you'

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really need to get better at spending money. I keep having missions go terribly because I can't stock up on enough supplies beforehand. Oh, I only have enough money to buy a handful of food and torches? Well I can make it off that alone.

Then before I even see a single enemy my guys have to claw through two vine barricades, the healer goes crazy from stress, and now everyone is pissed off and panicked. I didn't even have to get into a fight for this mission to start sucking. :shepicide:

EDIT: My Leeper went masochistic and is complaining every time someone other than him gets hit.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 5, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
On the same topic as other UI thoughts, it'd be pretty swell to have some way to save groups of four and have it visibly displayed. Having them all stacked up on the right with no divisions is pretty cluttered, and it'd be nice to see who makes up a nice little party and who is a third-stringer I haven't assigned yet. Even if it's something utterly simple like highlighting the 4 of them with a background color tone and a small colored number beside it would be great for quickly looking to see what a party is, who is available in that party, etc.

Also maybe a mouse-over tool-tip that varies based on the screen you're in: showing their four skills and optimal location when you're picking out party members for an expedition (i.e. 95% of my time spent right-clicking them one by one), showing their afflictions when in a place to reduce stress, showing their equipment when in the blacksmith, etc.

I'm really starting to like the Bounty Hunter for his pull ability. You can really gently caress up enemy groups by pulling their ranged members to the front.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 5, 2015

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I hate it when I'm two rooms into a mission, barely scratched, and I get hit with hunger and have to waste 4 food.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
This game is cool but the balance is pretty bad. Like, getting to the early boss Cannibalistic Hag and then wiping my four strongest characters because I had no way of hitting the back row except one really weak attack. Thanks, game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I kind of like some of the negative quirks with no stat deductions. I had a Leper that had Vanity or something as a negative quirk, and the narrative value from that alone was pretty cool. I also don't tend to mind the ones that prohibit the stress relief activities as long as I have only one. It's when you start getting into the boring ones that just straight up take away stats without even a condition, like "The Runs", that makes me go to the Sanitarium.