Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hell yes SKRILLEX Automata are totes gonna be my cyber familiars

What is this garbage. A stormhammer? gently caress NO, this is a stromhammer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

... and still no IW stuff :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Has anyone pre-ordered from Discount Games Store? I pre-ordered the Necron Codex and new Overlord from them a couple of weeks ago and haven't received a shipping notification or.. well anything else.

I'd message them and see what's up. I've used them for regular orders more than a couple times on eBay and they've been good.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

At least you got an event model :shobon:

But seriously, Conquest was written to allow FW to catch up? And then they release a whole new drat army.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

BULBASAUR posted:

Not IW but drat, I was hoping for Exodus, myself.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
So, i've been recently getting back into the hobby, and drat, I forgot how expensive it is.

Anyone know of a way to get my hands on a librarian without shelling 30$ on a finecast one? Because really, the metal blister used to be like 18, and that already seemed steep.

Since I've played all of a glorious two games in this edition (since last time I played was 5th. I think), how important is it to invest in anti-air? I play Marines, Iron hands if it matters, and Stalkers and Hunters seem like a significant investment, especially since they take up heavy support slots. Am I better served by bringing a Stormtalon? I'd give more insight into the local meta, but I haven't had a good chance to gauge how competitive it is since I don't even know what's good right now.

I hear FW stuff is now allowed in regular games (if the guy rampaging around with a titan and some chapter I'd never heard of is to be believed), or at least in my local gaming group, what are the books I should be checking out for Space Marines? Any formations worth picking up?

Sorry for a bunch of probably dumb questions.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

GMarshal posted:

So, i've been recently getting back into the hobby, and drat, I forgot how expensive it is.

Anyone know of a way to get my hands on a librarian without shelling 30$ on a finecast one? Because really, the metal blister used to be like 18, and that already seemed steep.

Since I've played all of a glorious two games in this edition (since last time I played was 5th. I think), how important is it to invest in anti-air? I play Marines, Iron hands if it matters, and Stalkers and Hunters seem like a significant investment, especially since they take up heavy support slots. Am I better served by bringing a Stormtalon? I'd give more insight into the local meta, but I haven't had a good chance to gauge how competitive it is since I don't even know what's good right now.

I hear FW stuff is now allowed in regular games (if the guy rampaging around with a titan and some chapter I'd never heard of is to be believed), or at least in my local gaming group, what are the books I should be checking out for Space Marines? Any formations worth picking up?

There's no dumb questions for newhams.

The Dark Vengeance set comes with a librarian that can be painted up to Iron Hands without too much trouble or expense. Since it's the new starter, they're cheap as well.

Stormtalon is a fantastic anti-air option for Space Marines. Personally, I like 2, ymmv.

Iron Hands really love mechanized armies, so sticking with the SM Codex, you should be mostly covered. A competitive IH list that I really like would be something like:

HQ: Master of the Forge
6x. Tactical squad (5 man) (4 Lascannon heavy weapon squads, 2 Flamer squads )
6x Dedicated Transports, Razorbacks with Twin-Linked Assault Cannons
3x Predators with TL Las and Las sponsons
2x Stormtalon with Stormhammer Missiles
1x Thunderfire Cannon w/ Techmarine

That should come in right around 1850. It's very competitive, but probably not the most fun thing ever, but it's also super fluffy. You can swap out stuff like a Stormtalon for a Dreadnaught if you want, but with Iron Hands you almost always want to flood the field with vehicles and armor.

If you're really excited for Forgeworld, excellent options would be knights, contemptor dreadnaughts, caestus assault ram or fire raptor gunships. You might also like Rhino/razorback upgrade panels with iconography for your army.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So Battlescribe is telling me that an Archon upgrading his Splinter Pistol to a Blast Pistol costs 15 points... or the same as upgrading to a Blast Rifle. Can anyone confirm that it's actually 5 points for the pistol?

Also, there is an upcoming 1,250 Maelstrom tourney, anyone want to tell me how this looks?

quote:

Primary CAD: Eldar
HQ
Autarch
- Fusion Gun

Elites
x6 Fire Dragons
- Exarch w/ Fast Shot
Wave Serpent
- Scatter Laser
- Holo-field

Troops
x3 Windrider Jetbikes

x3 Windrider Jetbikes

x5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent
- Scatter Laser
- Holo-field

Fast Attack
Hornet
- x2 Pulse Laser

Hornet
- x2 Pulse Laser

Heavy Support
Wraithknight (stock)

Allied Detachment: Dark Eldar
HQ
Archon
- Webway Portal
- Shadowfield
- Blast Pistol

Troops
x5 Kabalite Warriors

Basically, the Autarch and the Archon join the Fire Dragons for some precisely timed, precisely landed deep-strike shenanigans. The Archon uses the Shadowfield's 2+ and his FNP to absorb return fire from the ensuing turn. Everything else pretty standard. Hornets will likely Outflank.

Also, goddamn Hixson I love that army and want to play a 2v2 with you where your Eldar and my Eldar team up to smash the dirty unpainted hordes. Very awesome man!

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 5, 2015

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I wonder if they'll keep up the trend of supplying non-Primarch characters with alternate helmeted heads with the loyalists. Space Marine helmets are cool as hell and they did a good job showing progression between old legion gear and the current chaos models with Typhon and Kharn.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

GMarshal posted:

eBay or similar is your best bet for a Librarian- as I'd guess if you think 18 is expensive, getting an entire starter set for model is out.
Anti-air is either stupidly important or completely irrelevant, depending on what you're facing, so it's nice to have the option - I like the Crimison Hunter myself :)

Regular games - anything goes now. Forge World, Superheavies, ignoring the Force Org chart completely- 7th ed lets you take anything you want, regardless of faction, FO slot etc - subject to points costs and allies-rules (although at worst, it's stay a set distance from the hated ally on the tabletop).

Formations are worth it, if the bonus you get from the formation is decent, and you have the models / want to get those models- there another exception to the standard Force Org chart, so can be used to get more Heavys, Fast Attack or whatever in your force without going 'unbound'.

If your just looking to wargame, rather than just 40k, there are other games out there now - check out the Infinity, Warmachine, Malifeaux or GW Death Threads for options !

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Boon posted:

So Battlescribe is telling me that an Archon upgrading his Splinter Pistol to a Blast Pistol costs 15 points... or the same as upgrading to a Blast Rifle. Can anyone confirm that it's actually 5 points for the pistol?

Also, there is an upcoming 1,250 Maelstrom tourney, anyone want to tell me how this looks?

Basically, the Autarch and the Archon join the Fire Dragons for some precisely timed, precisely landed deep-strike shenanigans. The Archon uses the Shadowfield's 2+ and his FNP to absorb return fire from the ensuing turn. Everything else pretty standard. Hornets will likely Outflank.

Also, goddamn Hixson I love that army and want to play a 2v2 with you where your Eldar and my Eldar team up to smash the dirty unpainted hordes. Very awesome man!

Sorry, blast pistol is indeed 15 points.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm pretty tempted to grab the rulebook for Harlequins just to have a more fitting profile for the Eversor I painted up recently. It would make sense to have to stay away from him too, as he's an enraged killer.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Took a couple pictures of some of the Necrons I've started on. Plan on blowing through another six Scarabs bases and an old Tomb Spyder today, possibly more with some luck.

You are some sort of painting servitor!

Also: my job will be taking me to Dayton, Oh. Any warhams in the area wanna warham it up :tutbutt:?

EDIT: Wasn't there a URL with a map of players a LONG time ago?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 5, 2015

FoE
May 1, 2005
nothing really
So TL Gauss blasters or Particle beamers for Tomb Blades? You can't snap fire the Beamers if you jink, but taken as part of the Reclamation Legion they can safely hide in cover with the Shadow Loom anyway.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

FoE posted:

So TL Gauss blasters or Particle beamers for Tomb Blades? You can't snap fire the Beamers if you jink, but taken as part of the Reclamation Legion they can safely hide in cover with the Shadow Loom anyway.

Beamers with ignore cover. Murder guardsmen.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

You are some sort of painting servitor!

Also: my job will be taking me to Dayton, Oh. Any warhams in the area wanna warham it up :tutbutt:?

EDIT: Wasn't there a URL with a map of players a LONG time ago?

It's in the OP :)

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438&add=1

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

FoE posted:

A little from column A, a little from column B; im gonna use A 3-4 strong unit with ignore cover Blasts to slaughter Guardsmen, Nids, and Orks, or forcing lots of saves on Marines, etc, and a 5 strong unit with Ignore Cover Gauss Blasters to lay the pain on key Tau units, starting with whatever is packing the most markerlights.

Since you can only take the Shadow Loom OR the Nebuloscope, I'd go Shield Vanes for 3+ Armor and take the Nebuloscope for that sweet ignore cover. If they do bust out the Ap 3/2 weapons on your tomb blades, then go ahead and jink for a 4+/4+++ and soak up an inordinate amount of the enemies firepower.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I'm planning out my oath for this month, and I think it's going to be a huge pain. Anyone have advice on painting a dirty white aside from painting a dull white over maybe brown or dark grey and then using agrax? I can maybe go with a clean white as long as it's a duller one, I haven't really decided what would look best.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Use an oil wash. Super simple, really good effect. Or you could use a soot colored pigment. Or a lead pencil.

White is fun to make dirty.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I want it to be tan/brown dirty, but I think I'll just do it clean for the oath and then figure out weathering later. I'm afraid it will look kinda lovely if it's clean, but I'll paint a couple of test pieces first. I'm really looking forward to this project though; the knight is by far the biggest model I've tried to paint.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Now I'm reminded there's a Goon in my state!
Karandras, do you go to KRAGS by any chance? I've probably met you without knowing it if that's the case.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

HiveCommander posted:

Now I'm reminded there's a Goon in my state!
Karandras, do you go to KRAGS by any chance? I've probably met you without knowing it if that's the case.

Looks like a simple two and a half hour drive to the nearest goon, I am surprised there are none in St.Louis...

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Apparently there is some poor gently caress in Alaska that's more isolated by frozen wasteland than I. :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Soulfucker posted:

Apparently there is some poor gently caress in Alaska that's more isolated by frozen wasteland than I. :v:

And then there is the poor bastard stuck in Fairbanks :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Man, I kind of wish there were more goonhams in the Houston area. I'd like to actually get a game in for once, but I'm probably the only one that posts in here anymore. :smith:

I guess I could always contact Noctis Horrendae... :stonklol:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Hey, happy to help! I don't encourage conversion work when drinking though; if I slip my paintbrush and gently caress up a highlight that's one thing, if I'm converting something and slip with my x-acto that's gonna be just a little bit worse :v:

Post some pictures once he's done!

I finished the conversion with no blood drawn and spent all of tonight, which is my usual warham night at the LGS painting instead. I'm pretty pleased overall, though yellow is still a whore of a color to paint with brushes.

Anyways, here's the model all gussied up.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

drgnvale posted:

I want it to be tan/brown dirty, but I think I'll just do it clean for the oath and then figure out weathering later. I'm afraid it will look kinda lovely if it's clean, but I'll paint a couple of test pieces first. I'm really looking forward to this project though; the knight is by far the biggest model I've tried to paint.

If it's a knight you should consider experimenting with oils. You basically slop them over white, wait a while, and then remove whatever you don't like. Then let it dry and varnish to taste. For a tan/dirty brown use burnt umber. It's super easy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1115#post428886542

It's how I get the depth to the white on my marines:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I know very little about 'Crons and how they play, but the new codex has a lot of nice stuff in it.

How does this look for a force (1500)

HQ -
Catacomb Command Barge - Overlord w/Warscythe and Phase Shifter - 180 pts (goes and kills poo poo)
Cryptek - 65 pts (to sit with warriors)

Elites-
5 Lychguard w/ Sword + Shield in a Night Scythe - 280 pts (mid game firefighters/objective grabbers)

Troops
10 Immortals w/ Tesla in a Night Scythe - 300 pts (Again, mid game firefighters/objective grabbers)
20 Warriors (with the Cyptek to make them stay!) - 260pts

Fast Attack
3 Wraiths w/ Whip Coils - 129 pts
7 Scarab Bases - 140 pts (I have 7 bases so I figured I'd use them)

Heavy Support
Canoptek Spyder x3 - 150pts (3 MCs for 150 pts?! Sign me up).

Seems a bit light on the troops, and I saw Tesla doesn't work with Snap Shots any more so the NS Immortals might not be too good. Around 660 pts for 2 troops choices is what makes me wary.

Thoughts?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

I know very little about 'Crons and how they play, but the new codex has a lot of nice stuff in it.

HQ -
Catacomb Command Barge - Overlord w/Warscythe and Phase Shifter - 180 pts (goes and kills poo poo)

Elites-
5 Lychguard w/ Sword + Shield in a Night Scythe - 280 pts (mid game firefighters/objective grabbers)

Troops
10 Immortals w/ Tesla in a Night Scythe - 300 pts (Again, mid game firefighters/objective grabbers)

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Seems a bit light on the troops, and I saw Tesla doesn't work with Snap Shots any more so the NS Immortals might not be too good. Around 660 pts for 2 troops choices is what makes me wary.

Thoughts?

Run multiple units of scarabs. Youcan pump one up with the spiders, scurry them forward in turn 1 and then do it with the others in turn 2.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

If it's a knight you should consider experimenting with oils. You basically slop them over white, wait a while, and then remove whatever you don't like. Then let it dry and varnish to taste. For a tan/dirty brown use burnt umber. It's super easy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1115#post428886542

It's how I get the depth to the white on my marines:

Pigments also work really well. I started my AdMech shading with oils, but for the new color scheme I'm trying pigments do a better (well, a very different) job. Can't wait for the weekend so I can finish the first models.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Cataphract posted:

Run multiple units of scarabs. Youcan pump one up with the spiders, scurry them forward in turn 1 and then do it with the others in turn 2.

Awesome idea. Turn one I pump one up from 4-> 7 bases, charge it up. Turn 2/3 I continue to pump up the other one by 3 bases/turn, and then can use it as I wish. 10 scarabs is 50 attacks on the charge.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Pigments also work really well. I started my AdMech shading with oils, but for the new color scheme I'm trying pigments do a better (well, a very different) job. Can't wait for the weekend so I can finish the first models.

What color scheme are you doing? I'm stuck trying to figure out how to make mine look like admech, but also tie into my IW colors/style.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

What color scheme are you doing? I'm stuck trying to figure out how to make mine look like admech, but also tie into my IW colors/style.

2:1 Steggadon Scale Green & Black, highlighted to Temple Guard Blue for body parts. Metals are silver. Cables, glows, reactors, etc. are bright red/orange. Then I do a wash of bright red pigment + alcohol, clean up, and then sponge more pigment.

On my test models the sponging has been a bit challenging because the matte varnish spray knocks it off partially.

Basically I'm remaking this, slightly cleaner/less creepy:

I plan on making a full Thousand Sons army the moment they have their book, so it took me a long time to figure out what colors to use on my AdMech to not do two red armies. Since I like the Dark Mechanicus, I compromised :shobon:

I almost finished assembling two thallax squads, which I'll paint properly this weekend. It's awesome to feel motivated again, now that I have people nearby who want to play.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 5, 2015

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Oooh, that's purdy. Necrons done like that would be fantastic.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lord Twisted posted:

HQ -

Elites-

Troops

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Thoughts?

Run the Wraiths, Scarabs, and Spyders as a Canoptek Harvest Formation. For no extra points you can give your models Reanimation Protocols.

Edit: Additionally, drop 3 Scarab Bases (as covered earlier you can pump them back up to 7 on turn one) for 60pts and apply those points to upgrade your Cryptek to Illuminor Szeras. Place him and the Canoptek formation together for 4+ RP rolls for everything, not to mention +1 T/BS/S to either the Warriors or the Immortals (probably the Warriors) and a S8 AP2 lance gun.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 5, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Oh God I love this so very much - What is it, how is it done?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Shockeh posted:

Oh God I love this so very much - What is it, how is it done?

The orange rust effect is generally just watered-down orange paint of your choice (I use Troll Slayer Orange) applied lightly.

I don't have a great example of it, but you can see it here on this Skaven Plague Furnace:

I used it in a more general rust-patches sense, but you can just put it in the cracks and crevices and it comes out looking like that pic.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It works with regular paint, but I personally liked the pigment/alcohol wash better. Super easy to clean up with a q-tip and it creates a strong impression.
e.: Sorry, I mean pigment/thinner, not alcohol, for the wash.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 5, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

koreban posted:

I finished the conversion with no blood drawn and spent all of tonight, which is my usual warham night at the LGS painting instead. I'm pretty pleased overall, though yellow is still a whore of a color to paint with brushes.

Anyways, here's the model all gussied up.

He looks pretty drat good! I think the yellow on the tabbard needs to be cleaned up a little, but that's some good brushwork. I would have probably painted the tabbard the same color as the inside of the cape since it looks like they're connected, but yellow will tie him into the rest of your force anywho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What are all y'alls thoughts on this here AS: http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=84534.0 It looks pretty decent to me, if low-ish powered armies are your thing.

• Locked thread