Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fly with me posted:

Goddammit Nintendo.
I was going to hold out hope for a Skull Kid Amiibo as my first, and only, purchase.
But noooooo, you had to go and pull this bullshit.

These are a custom modification though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
^^^^^^^
Figured.

Wait. So these are not customs that people made?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

ChaosArgate posted:

These are a custom modification though.

Oh good.
Those are some really good custom figures, though.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Brightman posted:

Metroid II is indeed really good and I hope it gets the Zero Mission treatment some day. It's sort of a shame most people probably didn't get to play it, I went through it again on my old GBA SP like 4 years ago and felt like it held up better than expected, but yeah it's a little rough, not like Super Metroid which holds up insanely well. I'd almost rank it over the GBA games but I really can't figure out how I'd rank them since they're all really close in my mind. Like Super Metroid > Gameboy Games > Metroid and I'm not done with the Primes but I feel like that would almost be comparing apples to oranges. Other M doesn't exist, it was some fever dream someone had.

Metroid 2 is the weakest in the series (ignoring MOM and Hunters) I'd say. The lack of a map is painful in Metroid but in Metroid 2 it's pretty much fatal since the rooms are even more identical than Metroid but with no color so it's even easier to get lost forever. Then there are those huge central rooms that show up in every area and make it even more confusing. It does have a lot of potential though, I'd say a Zero Mission style Metroid 2 remake could be even better than Zero Mission.

I was really looking forward to AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) since it was going to add Super Metroid level graphics and a map and stuff like that, but at some point the guy decided to add lots of his own ideas on to the skeleton of Metroid 2 and I can't really consider it a remake anymore.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Adam Bowen posted:

Metroid 2 is the weakest in the series (ignoring MOM and Hunters) I'd say. The lack of a map is painful in Metroid but in Metroid 2 it's pretty much fatal since the rooms are even more identical than Metroid but with no color so it's even easier to get lost forever. Then there are those huge central rooms that show up in every area and make it even more confusing. It does have a lot of potential though, I'd say a Zero Mission style Metroid 2 remake could be even better than Zero Mission.

I was really looking forward to AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) since it was going to add Super Metroid level graphics and a map and stuff like that, but at some point the guy decided to add lots of his own ideas on to the skeleton of Metroid 2 and I can't really consider it a remake anymore.

To be fair that's what Zero Mission did to Metroid 1 too.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

mycot posted:

To be fair that's what Zero Mission did to Metroid 1 too.

That's true, although I don't really consider Zero Mission a replacement for Metroid either so I still play the original from time to time. If I knew where to start, I'd love to remake both Metroid 1 and 2 and change nothing besides graphics, a map, and save spots for the first game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

People realize those Yoshi amiibo's are custom made right. Look at the Luma :v:

I just want my borb amiibo

please enjoy this video game comic my friends

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Of course Im 10 coins away from a free wonderful101

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People realize those Yoshi amiibo's are custom made right. Look at the Luma :v:

I just want my borb amiibo

please enjoy this video game comic my friends

Meta Knight looks extra sassy in that second to last panel.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Grab one of the free games like Steel Diver or Rusty

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Bowen posted:

I disagree. Just because you got lost doesnt mean its a bad game. If 8 year old me can figure out then it cannot be that bad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Adam Bowen posted:

I found Metroid 2 much easier to navigate than 1 because the game has blocks until you've thoroughly explored an area, the objective is clear, and the background and music changes when you are near metroids and the game shakes to let you know when you can progress. And the level design is hardly labyrinthine, you usually have a hallway leading to one big room that goes in four directions, and those directions have few branches.

Metroid 1 good loving luck, there's no clues or context to anything.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
^^About Metroid it helps when you understand that no two adjacent rooms scroll in the same direction. All rooms connecting to a vertical scrolling room will be horizontal, and vice-versa.

majormonotone posted:

Grab one of the free games like Steel Diver or Rusty

Someone said earlier they tried that and got a message on their game that they don't come with coins anymore.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 5, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Comparing maps youre 100% right, Metroid is a goddamn zoo. Metroid 2 is more straight forward.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

Comparing maps youre 100% right, Metroid is a goddamn zoo. Metroid 2 is more straight forward.

And the important thing about the second one is you only ever have access to a small portion at a time, and while you can backtrack there's never any reason to and it's really easy to tell if you are going backwards.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm definitely getting the feeling of what people were saying about Prime 2 having better bosses than the first game. Both Dark Samus and Amorbis were pretty fun fights.

Also the first suit upgrade you get looks really cool. I like that it has a lot more cosmetic changes than just the color swaps of the first game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Davinci posted:

^^About Metroid it helps when you understand that no two adjacent rooms scroll in the same direction. All rooms connecting to a vertical scrolling room will be horizontal, and vice-versa.

Someone said earlier they tried that and got a message on their game that they don't come with coins anymore.

I was able to get coins from Rusty and Steel Diver as of yesterday but I guess it could have changed overnight.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm definitely getting the feeling of what people were saying about Prime 2 having better bosses than the first game. Both Dark Samus and Amorbis were pretty fun fights.

Also the first suit upgrade you get looks really cool. I like that it has a lot more cosmetic changes than just the color swaps of the first game.

Always great to see someone else appreciate Prime 2, and the Dark Suit. :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Always great to see someone else appreciate Prime 2, and the Dark Suit. :)

I don't really like how its morph ball looks, but those pauldrons make up for it.

I'm definitely having as much fun with this game as Prime 1.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Anybody who doesn't like the Light Suit the best is wrong, and about to be killed, by me

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Prime 2 is pretty cool and the damaging dark world mechanic is neat.

The Light suit was also a great payoff but it's removing an element I liked a whole bunch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Can you get one of the super cheap Game Boy VC games? I think Super Mario Land is $4.00

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I disagree. Just because you got lost doesnt mean its a bad game. If 8 year old me can figure out then it cannot be that bad.

I could make the same argument about Metroid really given that I was 8 when I finished that, but drat do a lot of people bitch about how impossible it is. I finished Metroid 2 when I was 9 and I loved it, so it's not like I have some bias against it. Kids have a lot more patience than adults do for playing the same game over and over again, especially in the early 90's when there weren't thousands of free or cheap games to play.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
So, is there any way to buy Metroid Prime without immediately downloading it. My hunt for a USB y cable isn't going so well, and I don't want to miss the sale.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you're in the US you can buy it here: https://checkout.nintendo.com/#/item/WUPNVAGE?lytic_locale=en-US

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope Club Nintendo has the foresight to just email people their Mewtwo codes.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Can I use eShop credit to buy that, or do I have to use real money?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Loki_XLII posted:

So, is there any way to buy Metroid Prime without immediately downloading it. My hunt for a USB y cable isn't going so well, and I don't want to miss the sale.

You can buy it even if you don't have room. Just remember that if it's in your download list after you get your hard drive set up, you have to delete the one in your download list, and go to the Downloads section of the eShop to redownload it so it'll prompt to go to the hard drive instead. Good luck with that Y-cable, I gave up looking at a brick and mortar and just bought it on Amazon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Im pretty sure I beat Metroid 2 by accident when it came out. I remember trying to spider-ball everywhere and seeing what the gently caress was up.

I'm pretty sure as a kid I played like 40 hours without ever beating it

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The eShop actually refuses to let you buy stuff if you don't have the space. It's very dumb.

As a workaround, plug in and format a 16GB or more USB stick, buy the thing, cancel the download, then unplug the USB stick again.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The eShop actually refuses to let you buy stuff if you don't have the space. It's very dumb.

I 100% guarantee that it does not do this. You can buy it just fine.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Dude I ran into the exact issue he is describing when I bought the Trilogy. With a Basic 8 GB WiiU, you cannot buy Metroid Prime Trilogy without plugging in an external USB device. It just straight up does not give you the option.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I did the same exact thing as him this week. I bought Trilogy, didn't have room so I had to order a Y cable for my portable hard drive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kin posted:

So what's the next scheduled Wii game to come out on the estore?

Is there a release schedule somewhere?
Nothing was released on the EU eShop so probably nothing this week, but we'll see how the "trickle" effect works here. Nintendo has quite a few published titles on Wii so they SHOULD have a steady stream of titles this year to put on eShop, but I guess that's never meant anything in the past (Super Mario 3.....)

2 of the first releases in US were Nintendo Selects titles, so I would expect them to go to those first.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

WHEN THE HELL DID SONIC BOOM WII U GET A UPDATE! I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD DOWNLOAD IT OR KEEP IT AS IT IS?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jarogue posted:

WHEN THE HELL DID SONIC BOOM WII U GET A UPDATE! I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD DOWNLOAD IT OR KEEP IT AS IT IS?

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jarogue posted:

why the hell would you care?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

why the hell would you care?

Keep it as lovely broken game or fix it into a lovely boring game.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Someone mentioned what upcoming games we know about

Upcoming Wii U Games Of 2015

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse – February 20
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars – March 5
Mario Party 10 – March 20
Splatoon – May
Yoshi’s Woolly World – First half of 2015
Mario Maker – TBD
Xenoblade Chronicles X – TBD
Devil’s Third – TBD
Art Academy (tentative title) – TBD
Star Fox (tentative title) – TBD
Project Giant Robot (tentative title) – TBD
Project Guard (tentative title) – TBD
The Legend of Zelda (tentative title) – TBD

Blek (kunabi brother & Broken Rules) – February 12 (eShop only)
Elliot Quest (PlayEveryWare Games) – 2015 (eShop only)
STARWHAL: Just the Tip (Breakfall) – First quarter 2015 (eShop only)
Affordable Space Adventures (KnapNok Games) – First quarter 2015 (eShop only)
Beatbuddy (Threaks) – TBD (eShop only)
LEGO Jurassic World (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) – Summer 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

Someone mentioned what upcoming games we know about

Upcoming Wii U Games Of 2015

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse – February 20
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars – March 5
Mario Party 10 – March 20
Splatoon – May
Yoshi’s Woolly World – First half of 2015
Mario Maker – TBD
Xenoblade Chronicles X – TBD
Devil’s Third – TBD
Art Academy (tentative title) – TBD
Star Fox (tentative title) – TBD
Project Giant Robot (tentative title) – TBD
Project Guard (tentative title) – TBD
The Legend of Zelda (tentative title) – TBD

I would say the fact that they have (Tentative Title) in there prooooobably means we won't be seeing some of them this year though

That said I played Yoshi's Island for the first time recently. It's actually really fun and I am cautiously optimistic for Wooly World even if every single attempt at another Yoshi's Island was terrible

• Locked thread