Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hello everyone!

First of all a general PSA to the newer players: there's a forum on ffgoons for creating and joining statics of all kinds (though the vast majority are for coil raiding, naturally) that you should be checking out as you fill out your gearset on your not-really-fresh-anymore 50:

http://forums.ffgoons.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32

Speaking of not-really-fresh-anymore 50s, The Associate is starting a new static specifically aimed at those of us who are either new to raiding and want to get started, or are returning to the game/raiding and would like to bunker down, catch up, build a strong team, make some good staticfriends, and feel accomplished by the end of 2.5 and ready for Alexander and 3.0. The Associate and I are looking for healers and DPS* who also feel the same way, so if this is you, come sign up or ask questions here:

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27496

*If you're a tank main and this interests you come talk anyway, we'll likely be able to find a mutually beneficial arrangement :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Niton posted:

It really depends on the class - most dps jobs have some sort of priority system that will make way more sense once you have more abilities. Dragoon and Monk are probably the most complex at 50, but it's hard to answer your question without knowing what you want more specifically.

Omnicrom posted:

I'll second what Niton said, what exactly are you looking for? Which job in particular are you thinking of playing? If you're looking for a simple rotation I suggest playing a Bard, their DPS rotation is entirely proc based and reactive, the tricky stuff to playing a Bard is in using their cooldowns and songs effectively. All the melee DPS classes run based on a priority system with a lot of moves on it, the simplest of them is DRG and that still requires hitting a lot of off-GCD cooldowns and managing your buffs, DOTs, and debuffs. We can give advice if you have a specific class in mind or a particular concern, but all the classes play differently enough there's no one size fits all method.

Bard is what I was planning on playing most of the time, so that's good to hear. I'm looking into Black Mage as well, I like the "hang back and nuke things" kind of play. From what I've done with Thaumaturge so far (which is not very much at all), is most of the complexity there just managing the fire and ice buffs?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Yep. Throw fire until you can't throw fire anymore, switch, throw lightning and maybe some ice, throw more fire. Fire, fire, fire.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I like during Cloud of Darkness when the alliance fucks it up and she gets like seven stacks and you get to be all NOPE and dust off Last Bastion, and find yourself being the only surviving party left to finish the fight.

Such a cool LB when you actually get to use it.

Speaking of, spent an hour in T13 tonight. It's sort of like a greatest hits of things tanks hate dealing with in coil.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Volatile Penguin posted:

Bard is what I was planning on playing most of the time, so that's good to hear. I'm looking into Black Mage as well, I like the "hang back and nuke things" kind of play. From what I've done with Thaumaturge so far (which is not very much at all), is most of the complexity there just managing the fire and ice buffs?

Nah,once you're maxed out there's not a lot to worry about with Fire/Ice. Ice is for MP regen, Fire is for doing damage. You can optimize your rotation so you spend just enough time regaining your MP. Once you've picked up the Black Mage essentials, a lot comes down to optimizing your movements. The more you move, the less time you have to cast, so learning encounters, getting a feel for that slim grace period where you can move right before your castbar finishes, etc. helps a lot.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Volatile Penguin posted:

BLM actually gets simpler (and also more fun) by the time you hit 50 but then you start doing raids and are introduced to the complexity of BLM - managing your cast times and not getting murdered.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Earlier people were talking about some rotations with Flare. I'm a long ways off from 50, but what's the basic pattern so I can look forward to it?

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Earlier people were talking about some rotations with Flare. I'm a long ways off from 50, but what's the basic pattern so I can look forward to it?
Your fire cycle for groups becomes Fire 2 until you can't anymore then Flare. Then Convert and Flare again. Optionally, you can :gitgud: pop an ether and do it a third time.

Not sure which ether you need to pull that off I'm still bad

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

using it when swiftcast and convert are up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mega-ether HQ gives you just enough mana to do another flare and it also has a lower cooldown than X-ether by like a minute.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

Based on the TT shots they've shown it looks like it's gonna be really bad as a game to play but fun to collect.

It doesn't use any of the rules that made TT actually strategical. Since you can see all your opponents cards and there isn't combo, add, or elements you can just play it like tic tac toe and at the least, never lose.

From two pages ago, but way to just be completely wrong.

They specifically said that they're adding a bunch (not sure if it was all) of the rules from FF8 and when playing against other people, you would be able to select which ones you want on/off. I would suspect that a lot of NPCs will have specific rulesets enable/disabled.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Eej posted:

Mega-ether HQ gives you just enough mana to do another flare and it also has a lower cooldown than X-ether by like a minute.

NQ gives you enough MP and has even lower cooldown.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind me.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 5, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
wrong

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

STORY poo poo

Considering the 2.5 patch trailer ends with Minfillia giving a rather desperate sounding 'you have to go on!' speech to the player character, I'm expecting something rather bad to happen to the scions in part 2. I could see them learning about TELEDJI ADELEDJI planning to launch a coup or something, try to set a trap for him and then captain Obvious Traitor does his obvious treachery and everything goes to hell. First the player loses the blessing of light, then suddenly has their entire support structure torn down around them just before the expansion hits (giving SE a chance to build a new supporting cast for Heavensward.)

Or maybe nothing will happen and we'll spend all Heavensward reporting back to Minfillia while the rest of the scions don't do anything. Who knows.

Alternatively, everyone develops a triple triad addiction and all current plot lines are dropped entirely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

I like during Cloud of Darkness when the alliance fucks it up and she gets like seven stacks and you get to be all NOPE and dust off Last Bastion, and find yourself being the only surviving party left to finish the fight.

Such a cool LB when you actually get to use it.

And then the rest of your party flips their poo poo because OMFG YOU WASTED THE LB!!!!!!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

NQ gives you enough MP and has even lower cooldown.

HQ potions have shorter cooldowns actually.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Flare's MP cost literally says "All", so how are you determining how much the potion needs to return?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Still pulling for Yda to take over head scion duties and be like, "hell yeah go beat up that primal 'cause it's rad"

e. or Tataru

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Doomhammer posted:

Considering the 2.5 patch trailer ends with Minfillia giving a rather desperate sounding 'you have to go on!' speech to the player character, I'm expecting something rather bad to happen to the scions in part 2. I could see them learning about TELEDJI ADELEDJI planning to launch a coup or something, try to set a trap for him and then captain Obvious Traitor does his obvious treachery and everything goes to hell. First the player loses the blessing of light, then suddenly has their entire support structure torn down around them just before the expansion hits (giving SE a chance to build a new supporting cast for Heavensward.)

Or maybe nothing will happen and we'll spend all Heavensward reporting back to Minfillia while the rest of the scions don't do anything. Who knows.

Alternatively, everyone develops a triple triad addiction and all current plot lines are dropped entirely.

Yoshi has said to paraphrase "There must be a great tragedy to set the stage for 3.0" so there's probably something to your theories.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

Flare's MP cost literally says "All", so how are you determining how much the potion needs to return?

It has a minimum MP cost. I think it's 266?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It doesn't matter what the story is for 3.0 because at the end of the day we will still have to return to the Waking Sands for the stupidest poo poo. Up on a floating island like something out of 12000BC in Chrono Trigger? That's great, Pray return to the Waking Sands to ask about some dumb mundane poo poo because having someone just loving relocate is too hard.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

It doesn't matter what the story is for 3.0 because at the end of the day we will still have to return to the Waking Sands for the stupidest poo poo. Up on a floating island like something out of 12000BC in Chrono Trigger? That's great, Pray return to the Waking Sands to ask about some dumb mundane poo poo because having someone just loving relocate is too hard.
Six expansions in when we're sing Allagan-derived tech to explore the galaxy: still have to return to the waking sands.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I love riding my chocobo to the Walking Sands so I can watch Minfilia place a phone call.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I've been going through the 2.5 Hildy storyline today and holy gently caress did the story legitimately have me on the edge of my seat with tension as stuff was revealed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Get into WoD, hopefully about to get my first new piece of ninja gear to redeem my wasted roll last week....

My internet starts lagging so bad everyone is teleporting around.

Thanks, Time-Warner Cable!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeyLikesIt posted:

I just want it to happen because I want people to get riled up man. We need to be MAD entering Heavensward

If you want people pissed it should be Tataru instead

Imagine this

but instead of being all happy she's loving deeeeaaaaadddd

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 5, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The knife juggling was destined to end badly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nuru posted:

The knife juggling was destined to end badly.
Where's my knife juggling emote Yoshi-P.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Queued up 16 times so far for dungeon finder Odin.

It's been abandoned 16 times.

It'd be nice to get it off my list :(

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Odin is pretty hard for DF because you need healers on the ball on top of a tank who doesn't sit in Valknut going into the Einherjar / Gungir rave.

Also if it gives you two pug Scholars you're going to have a bad time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man, BLM keeps getting better and better. Was level 38 with blizzard 3 feeling all happy I don't need to transpose, then level 40 comes around and all of a sudden swiching from fire to ice is a one second cast and everything is so smooth now it's amazing. Cant wait for 44 for firestarter now!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of firestarted, how do you guys go about using it. I'm obviously chaining Fire 1, and when Firestarter procs I cast Fire 3 when the next Fire I goes off. Obviously this isn't ideal, because I might get 2 procs in a row and waste one, but I feel this is still better than moving and breaking Fire 1 cast to cast 3 instead.

Serperoth posted:

One thing you want to keep an eye out is Firestarter procs right as you're switching to Ice. If that happens, don't use the free Fire 3 to go back to Fire, it's better DPS to use Transpose, then shoot the instant Fire 3.

I haven't even thought about this, thanks!

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 5, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Truga posted:

Speaking of firestarted, how do you guys go about using it. I'm obviously chaining Fire 1, and when Firestarter procs I cast Fire 3 when the next Fire I goes off. Obviously this isn't ideal, because I might get 2 procs in a row and waste one, but I feel this is still better than moving and breaking Fire 1 cast to cast 3 instead.

You have it right. Don't break a cast to shoot a 3, the two procs are no biggie. One thing you want to keep an eye out is Firestarter procs right as you're switching to Ice. If that happens, don't use the free Fire 3 to go back to Fire, it's better DPS to use Transpose, then shoot the instant Fire 3.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

nuru posted:

Odin is pretty hard for DF because you need healers on the ball on top of a tank who doesn't sit in Valknut going into the Einherjar / Gungir rave.

Also if it gives you two pug Scholars you're going to have a bad time.

Trial Odin is hard for the DF because it's not labelled as an Extreme but it's close to an Extreme in terms of difficulty. It's a bit easier than Shiva Extreme so not easy for a pug but not really all that outlandish.

Still, because it isn't labelled as Extreme people generally assume it's more in line with existing Hard Trials which are glorified story content these days. So you get stuff like healers freaking out when a tank takes 2/3 of their HP from Sanngetall through hard mitigation cooldowns, or fumbling their healing/cleanse priority when the entire party has a bleed debuff, or people panicking when they see the entire arena full of telegraphs that are actually safe to stand in because they're staggered by several seconds, etc etc.

Just ask in FC for a group there will probably be a lot of people interested since it has good glamours and is an easy fight for competent players.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I also found out the hard way that if you don't have at least 5000 hp going into Odin you're gonna have a really awful time. There's that one random bit where he selects 3 people for Gugnir hits and unless I'm missing something you're taking 2500 + 1800 + double bleed damage there that you can't avoid if you get selected. I tried bringing my i111 SMN in there with 4900 hp so I could res and take some stress off the healers and wound up being the one dead until I slapped on some Vit accessories.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Shere posted:

I also found out the hard way that if you don't have at least 5000 hp going into Odin you're gonna have a really awful time. There's that one random bit where he selects 3 people for Gugnir hits and unless I'm missing something you're taking 2500 + 1800 + double bleed damage there that you can't avoid if you get selected. I tried bringing my i111 SMN in there with 4900 hp so I could res and take some stress off the healers and wound up being the one dead until I slapped on some Vit accessories.

Haven't done Odin trial yet but for the double bleed damage, should you attempt to esuna them? or let them expire on their own?

On the question of esuna'ing party-wide debuffs, who should I prioritize? Tank > 2nd Healer > 2nd Tank?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The party wide cannot be cleared but the single target ones can.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr. Nice! posted:

The party wide cannot be cleared but the single target ones can.

More accurately, the bleed from Einherjar can be cleansed; the bleed from Gungnir cannot and must be healed through until the spears are dead.

There's also an Einherjar -> Gungnir -> Sanngetall late in the fight that is bitch and a half and hopefully your tank understands to use big-rear end CDs for that Sanngetall.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The bleed can be cleansed but it's a waste of time. Medica 2 accomplishes the same thing and doesn't cost 8 gcds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Bought my poetics body last week finally. Got WoD body today. :saddowns:

• Locked thread