Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Faker is amazing but honestly Easyhoon is nearly as good right now. Dude is really underrated it seems like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It still feels wrong to me to call Faker the best ever at League when he spent last worlds sitting at home.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Hypocrisy posted:

It still feels wrong to me to call Faker the best ever at League when he spent last worlds sitting at home.

Why? He still had Bengi weighing him down. It's not like a really incredible player can't have poo poo teammates. There's nobody else who can do what he can on Ezreal, for instance. It's way next level.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Also even in solo queue there are players higher ranked than him with better win rates on a similar number of games played, despite the fact that Faker plays primarily the mid champions he's best at so it's not like he isn't trying. And players have solo-killed him in lane/carried as hard as he has. Yes, he's a great player, but he's not head and shoulders above the top players in Korea/China.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Transient People posted:

Why? He still had Bengi weighing him down. It's not like a really incredible player can't have poo poo teammates. There's nobody else who can do what he can on Ezreal, for instance. It's way next level.

Season 4 summer had plenty of people matching if not beating Faker in mid. Sure his team mates were struggling but he certainly wasn't helping things either.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Yeah he's fallen off a bit. Everyone from SKT has really.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

foutre posted:

Also even in solo queue there are players higher ranked than him with better win rates on a similar number of games played, despite the fact that Faker plays primarily the mid champions he's best at so it's not like he isn't trying. And players have solo-killed him in lane/carried as hard as he has. Yes, he's a great player, but he's not head and shoulders above the top players in Korea/China.

CODChimera posted:

Yeah he's fallen off a bit. Everyone from SKT has really.

i honestly dont think this is true, its hard to solo carry a competitive game when you are constantly being counter picked and focused by the enemy jungler when your jungler is busy dicking around doing jackshit. SKTs pickban was atrocious (and still is bad right now) which constantly gave Faker sub par matchups. He has probably the most diverse champion pool in league history, and actually wins with all these picks.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

foutre posted:

I'm not really in a state of mind to contend the meat of your argument, but the only player higher on the Korean solo Q ladder right now is Fury.
im a fuckin liar nevermind
100% Cassiopeia winrate is pretty cool tho

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 5, 2015

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Xenogenesis posted:

I'm not really in a state of mind to contend the meat of your argument, but the only player higher on the Korean solo Q ladder right now is Fury.

And he ended season 4 in 2nd place to his teammate Marin who played way more games and only ended up like 60 lp ahead of faker. And Marin is the faker of top lane

I think if you had a world wide fantasy draft of league Faker would be the #1 pick in Season 3, 4, and 5. If you did it historically he'd be #1 through all of history.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 5, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
OK, thinking about it more, some players can contend with him in one of the four roles he plays -- they're mechanically similar/have champions they can go toe to toe with him on -- but I doubt any of them are at the same level at all of them. In terms of a combination of versatility + skill, he's pretty unprecedented.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I enjoyed the new TSM behind the scenes series if only for Locodoco responding to Dyrus' trash talk with "I'm hella tight with Flame I know when his contract ends."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/LustboyLoL/status/563212145693716480

Lustboy continues to be the best

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Hypocrisy posted:

I enjoyed the new TSM behind the scenes series if only for Locodoco responding to Dyrus' trash talk with "I'm hella tight with Flame I know when his contract ends."

:iceburn:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm really glad Lustboy managed to fit into TSM's cult of personality, he's probably their best member in social media now.

Anyway, I wouldn't have been surprised that the GE Tigers were a top team in Korea, it's not the brand-new teams that ever surprise me. But the second and third place teams are CJ Entus and Jin Air which is all :psyduck: I honestly would have thought that SKT and Naijin would have rounded it out, and I thought Samsung would do a lot better than dead last with no wins.

Samsung is still one of the most fun teams to watch though. I can't wait for Korea's expansion tournament.

Speaking of, :siren: Korean Solo King Tournament starts today :siren:

7am EST, 4am Pacific.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 5, 2015

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Ok, I wasn't really sold on Lustboy till now but that's goddamn hilarious (the caption is "when you're an ADC being supported by Pobelter"). It's definitely been cool to see fans embrace foreign players like XWX and now Lustboy.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

TWSS posted:

Did you just compare 5 waifish nerds sitting in a chair right clicking to football? That is the gooniest poo poo I have ever heard. You don't need a different body type and centre of gravity to switch from mid to jungle.

The fact that you think I am trying to whiteknight league as ~athletic sport~ is the goony thing here. My point is if you're the best at a very particular thing, you normally can't translate that into being the best at anything else. Maybe just very good.

But when you have a superstar of any kind, normally you should be trying to work around that guy's talent, rather than trying to gently caress with that guy to make the other pieces work better.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Disinterested posted:

The fact that you think I am trying to whiteknight league as ~athletic sport~ is the goony thing here. My point is if you're the best at a very particular thing, you normally can't translate that into being the best at anything else. Maybe just very good.

But when you have a superstar of any kind, normally you should be trying to work around that guy's talent, rather than trying to gently caress with that guy to make the other pieces work better.

What value does being the best mid in the world have when the impact you can have on the game is of a similar level to your alternate? Yes, he's the best at what he does, but it was mentioned that he was seen crushing multiple games at the highest Korean level of challenger at jungle. If he could in fact transition to that role, be a god drat beast, and have more impact on the game then why not go that route? Would SKT have a better or worse chance of getting to World's with Faker going jungle and Easyhoon handling mid? I don't know myself because I have never watched Faker jungle, but being deadset against such moves seems silly to me. Yes, we've seen players like Nien fail at transitioning roles, but there are some players that don't have any kind of trouble switching to different positions. One that comes to my mind is Wild Turtle. He can take any role and look great.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Jayisspecial posted:

One that comes to my mind is Wild Turtle. He can take any role and look great.

If by great you mean having spent most of his professional career in varying degrees of a slump (as the 4th or 5th best player on TSM) playing his competitive role then yeah.

Getting rid of your long-standing garbage jungler by swapping your best player into his role is not a common sense decision, which isn't to say it's impossible. There is still very little that links solo queue success to performance in professional play, and the list of successful role swaps in League of recent seasons is not very long. The potential reward of such a swap can be argued, but they're always high risk moves. I don't see the virtue of this one over getting a new jungler.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Turtle just did this awesome flash play with Lee Sin in solo queue, and rushed Sword of the Occult! - SKT, sign him up. S5 worlds gon' be easy.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Only Fnatics vs Unicorns looks like a must watch today, I fully expect to fall asleep again as Elements slowly take down MYM.

H2K - SK[/b[
FNC - UOL
MYM - Elements
Roccat - Giants
CW - [b]Gambit

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

foutre posted:

OK, thinking about it more, some players can contend with him in one of the four roles he plays -- they're mechanically similar/have champions they can go toe to toe with him on -- but I doubt any of them are at the same level at all of them. In terms of a combination of versatility + skill, he's pretty unprecedented.

This is a huge part of why Faker is so good. His champion pool is enormous, it's bigger than any other professional player. And Faker makes the meta. Faker put Nidalee and Leblanc into the meta in season 3, he's doing the same with Ezrael right now.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Freaksaus posted:

Only Fnatics vs Unicorns looks like a must watch today, I fully expect to fall asleep again as Elements slowly take down MYM.

H2K - SK
FNC - UOL
MYM - Elements
Roccat - Giants
CW - Gambit

I'm going to go the other way on CW - Gambit because Gambit just looks awful, but other than that I agree.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 5, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

H2K - SK
FNC - UOL
MYM - Elements
Roccat - Giants
CW - Gambit

Ho-hum set of matches today. Curious about MYM though, Selfie is back now so they could look better or totally implode.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Transient People posted:

Selfie is back now so they could look better or totally implode.

I have no idea what happened with this, why did he leave?

Also has Dig announced a new jungler? I know they were looking for a new coach.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sexpansion posted:

I have no idea what happened with this, why did he leave?

Also has Dig announced a new jungler? I know they were looking for a new coach.

They're using CloudNguyen for this week at least.

As for CW vs Gambit, I just want to believe that Gambit will step it up, seeing them at 0-4 is just depressing :(

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
H2K - SK
FNC - UOL
MYM - Elements
Roccat - Giants
CW - Gambit

EDIT: You know what? I'm gonna say the Unicorns will upset Fnatic. That will be today's upset.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 5, 2015

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Jayisspecial posted:

What value does being the best mid in the world have when the impact you can have on the game is of a similar level to your alternate? Yes, he's the best at what he does, but it was mentioned that he was seen crushing multiple games at the highest Korean level of challenger at jungle. If he could in fact transition to that role, be a god drat beast, and have more impact on the game then why not go that route? Would SKT have a better or worse chance of getting to World's with Faker going jungle and Easyhoon handling mid? I don't know myself because I have never watched Faker jungle, but being deadset against such moves seems silly to me. Yes, we've seen players like Nien fail at transitioning roles, but there are some players that don't have any kind of trouble switching to different positions. One that comes to my mind is Wild Turtle. He can take any role and look great.

So move Easyhoon instead. If you have an up and coming guy and no place to play him, you find a spot for that guy, not the guy who's blocking him. I'm not suggesting SKT should do this, but moving the consensus Best Player from his spot to play a guy who's looked almost as good as him for nearly a month doesn't seem like a sound thought process.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Monte is doing a video review of the most important matches of the week to watch. This is a really good idea! Here's the first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdG5E5s8b5o

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Just got back into watching eSports, lol at Dignitas apparently being this season's Velocity.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Comrade Question posted:

Just got back into watching eSports, lol at Dignitas apparently being this season's Velocity.
Crumbzz blamed his solo laners and the Koreans for not listening to his calls, so basically blaming everyone but Kiwikid.

Today's games all look like stomps, or long boring drags.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 5, 2015

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

Crumbzz blamed his solo laners and the Koreans for not listening to his calls, so basically blaming everyone but Kiwikid.

Today's games all look like stomps, or long boring drags.

Unicorns vs Fnatic should be good.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
H2K - SK
FNC - UOL
MYM - Elements
Roccat - Giants
CW - Gambit :sigh:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sexpansion posted:

Monte is doing a video review of the most important matches of the week to watch. This is a really good idea! Here's the first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdG5E5s8b5o

Excellent name for the series. :golfclap:

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
I'll never get tired of seeing Prolly in a suit.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I think it's really funny that H2K uniforms are basically varsity jackets so they look like a high school football team.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Nidalee jungle already, that was fast.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I was already going to root against SK in every game, but man, they're making it really easy to hate them, aren't they?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Why is quickshot so surprised to see Ahri this patch? She's was hella buffed to make up for the removal of DFG, she's probably stronger overall? Sven is a good jungler but I'd love to see someone more aggressive like Reignover on a jungle Nidalee

Freddie and Fox seem like good people. nRated looks like he's supposed to be a villain from a children's cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Svenskeren's Nidalee will be interesting, he's one of the few pro junglers that hasn't done well with it in solo queue.

• Locked thread