Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

greatn posted:

The truth is he never actually fought Ras Al Ghul, he was in an Oculus Rift the whole time.

Fuuuuuuuuck you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

Okay yeah sure, let's make the thing we were just complaining isn't even being explained into a racial thing with details we made up.

We don't need to make a big deal of it, it's such a minor element, but it kinda is a racial thing. The reason it hasn't been explained at all is most likely because they felt "hey she's Asian" was a good enough explanation for any homebrew medical miracles she's able to pull off. You likely wouldn't see this plot thread with an Irishman or a Frenchman or a Russian or a New Zealander. See Also: Yao Fei.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was playing an Australian but yeah they did do it with a kiwi.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hcreight posted:

...spoilertv...

How did I not know about this site?

Thank you!

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Habibi posted:

"Hey woah I wasn't stabbed down ther- :stare: ...or was I..."

I guess Oliver got a happy ending after all...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xtanstic posted:

It's really amusing how some characters notice the tiniest discrepancies like Sin or Barry's Dad but some remain in the dark like with Iris or Lance.

My favorite part of this was how Lance actually showed up under both categories this episode, instantly recognizing a costumed Roy, while showing utter shock & bewilderment that Sara wasn't Sara despite how obvious that should have been. Blind spots! :haw:

A bunch of other random comments:

I really like that both Arrow and Flash are starting to step up and become public figures to their city right now, it's a really fun element of these origin stories. I guess something about how Ollie's speech was shot was a little "meh", but it was still a fun moment.

Young Tommy was a horrible actor and I hope he never comes back.

Is it me or is it odd that they never got into what the hell was going on with Brick's apparent superpowers? Should we take that as a sign that he'll be showing up again? He is a fun badguy.

Someone else commented that now that Ollie is back and Brick is dealt with, we're pretty much right back at where we started, and they thought that was lame. But I think I actually like that. Because they're in the same situation, but the characters themselves have grown a lot. Roy & Laurel have both become way more capable, which is great. I'd say Laurel is maybe up there are Season 1 Roy level - "Good at taking a beating and not much else" - which is still way above where she started! Dig has two guns now. The team is more personally committed as well, since they had to come to face with why they're doing this and decide it is for themselves and not just to be Oliver's lackey, even Felicity.

Wildcat's willing to jump back into the game if need be (and still alive?), Merlyn may be on the verge of trying to start to be an anti-hero, and Felicity & Roy are making steady progress and may be close to debuting another new hero in the Atom. And Oliver has seen what he's going to be fighting against, and is trying a new approach, working with Merlyn to become a more ruthless fighter.

They're facing the same enemy, but Ra's isn't facing the same group anymore.

(also yes I'm exaggerating about Laurel, she can clearly beat up a mook or two)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 5, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

XboxPants posted:

That makes it even worse, even more stereotype-y writing.

I'm watching the chronological Lost cut right now, and it's really funny seeing the Korean couple's backstory, where the wife is this Ultra-Rich daughter of a hotel magnate. But then when you get to the island - when the start of the show happens, and the flashbacks haven't developed her character yet, and the writers haven't decided on her backstory yet - suddenly she morphs into this hilarious Ancient Chinese Secret pastiche who's passing out Herbal Wisdom about using all the native plants to heal wounds and cure asthma and poo poo. When actually, she's loving Korean Paris Hilton and has no goddamn reason to have any idea about any of that other than "Is Asian".

Point is, to mainstream writers, every single Asian knows all the Ancient Lost Secrets of the herbal medicinal arts and they're lucky if their country of origin is even differentiated.

Hi I actually live in Korea and it's a common thing for Koreans to learn that Americans usually don't. The only one being racist here is you.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

XboxPants posted:

My favorite part of this was how Lance actually showed up under both categories this episode, instantly recognizing a costumed Roy, while showing utter shock & bewilderment that Sara wasn't Sara despite how obvious that should have been. Blind spots! :haw:

A bunch of other random comments:

I really like that both Arrow and Flash are starting to step up and become public figures to their city right now, it's a really fun element of these origin stories. I guess something about how Ollie's speech was shot was a little "meh", but it was still a fun moment.

Young Tommy was a horrible actor and I hope he never comes back.

Is it me or is it odd that they never got into what the hell was going on with Brick's apparent superpowers? Should we take that as a sign that he'll be showing up again? He is a fun badguy.

Someone else commented that now that Ollie is back and Brick is dealt with, we're pretty much right back at where we started, and they thought that was lame. But I think I actually like that. Because they're in the same situation, but the characters themselves have grown a lot. Roy & Laurel have both become way more capable, which is great. I'd say Laurel is maybe up there are Season 1 Roy level - "Good at taking a beating and not much else" - which is still way above where she started! Dig has two guns now. The team is more personally committed as well, since they had to come to face with why they're doing this and decide it is for themselves and not just to be Oliver's lackey, even Felicity.

Wildcat's willing to jump back into the game if need be (and still alive?), Merlyn may be on the verge of trying to start to be an anti-hero, and Felicity & Roy are making steady progress and may be close to debuting another new hero in the Atom. And Oliver has seen what he's going to be fighting against, and is trying a new approach, working with Merlyn to become a more ruthless fighter.

They're facing the same enemy, but Ra's isn't facing the same group anymore.

(also yes I'm exaggerating about Laurel, she can clearly beat up a mook or two)

Yeah me and my brother burst out laughing when Lance instantly recognized Roy. Him mocking Arsenal was a nice touch.

I've honestly been waiting for a grand public Arrow proclamation for a whole season now. I kinda expected it would go hand in hand with his face turn in season 2 so I'm surprised it's taken Ollie this long.

In my mind, Brick's superpowers is just like the old Stargate Goa'uld personal shields. Fast moving bullets are repelled but slower moving arrows and knives will get through just fine.

I wonder where they're gonna go with the Wildcat subplot. Maybe him getting beaten up will force Laurel to get some training elsewhere. Also regarding the CTV preview, did anyone notice a quick clip of Laurel fighting what looked to be Sara? Or some other Black Canary?. I'm too lazy to look for the clip and too scared to google for spoilers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xtanstic posted:

I wonder where they're gonna go with the Wildcat subplot. Maybe him getting beaten up will force Laurel to get some training elsewhere. Also regarding the CTV preview, did anyone notice a quick clip of Laurel fighting what looked to be Sara? Or some other Black Canary?. I'm too lazy to look for the clip and too scared to google for spoilers.

Regarding your spoiler, that actually gets answered in the American preview.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Why are people armed with automatic rifles not using them. :psyduck:

Both sides have dozens of people where some are armed as well as our military and not one person decides it would be better to pull a trigger rather than charging 200 feet and clubbing the guy.

Best part was that Diggle had a machine gun. Could have probably wasted half of them right there.

Spergatory posted:

Man, something about this season is just not landing with me at all. :shrug:

Yea same. Also really not digging the trying to redeem Merlyn thing.

I like that this whole thing could have been avoided if Oliver wasn't a dumbass and decided to declare that Merlyn was under his protection just in case Ras killed Sara. Should have let the league kill his rear end :milk:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Regarding your spoiler, that actually gets answered in the American preview.

Thanks. It's hilarious to me how completely different both versions are. They generally are fairly similar.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Timett posted:

It was both that they didn't explain or even hint at how he was resurrected and also that they downplay the fact that he loving DIED and act like he was just mostly dead that bother me.

Probably because he did not actually die and was only nearly dead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ras you are a lovely assassin. Can't even kill him right. :cmon:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea same. Also really not digging the trying to redeem Merlyn thing.
I normally like reformed villains, but it's not working for me at all in this case.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Because Barrowman is best when he's chewing the scenery and twirling his mustache.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would've been down for "Nah, still bad." *kills Brick*

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This was one of this season's better episodes, but it was still pretty silly. It's been weeks and the League hasn't done poo poo to Merlyn except send a lovely DJ to spy on Thea. Brick was also a pretty underwhelming villain that wasn't really explained/explored. The mob scene was pretty dumb too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Vinnie Jones is wonderful and I want him in every episode of everything, forever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DoctorWhat posted:

Vinnie Jones is wonderful and I want him in every episode of everything, forever.

Watch Galavant :swoon:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rarity posted:

Watch Galavant :swoon:

DoctorWhat posted:

They won't get a season 2

We all know that's the truth

That's just the way that shows like this end

But you know it was a fun

Two-and-a-half hour run

An experience I'd readily defend

Yes! The songs were fun and never grating

Timothy Omundson was drat amazing

So!

Into obscurity we go!

Like Cop Rock and Eli Stone!

'Cause that's the end of

GAL

A

VANT!

but imagine I fit "vinnie jones" into the meter instead of Timothy Omundson.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It was a bit weird that so many characters were amazing at figuring out people's secret identities like Lance with Roy, Wildcat with Laurel and kinda Sin with Laurel - but then the Arrow appears on TV and returns to the city at the exact time Oliver Queen does. Aaaaaaagain.

So dumb.

Xtanstic posted:

This fight was ridiculous on TDKR and remains ridiculous on Arrow
Oh god, Arrow not only copies the movies, but its seasons even follow the quality arc of the Nolan trilogy.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I used to like Felicity but now that Laurel is becoming a bad rear end it seems like they just moved all the whiney melodrama poo poo over to her. I realize it's a CW show but it still sucks.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I was all against Felicity's negativity until Diggle met with Merlyn and reminded me of all the terrible stuff he's done and made a pretty good case for having nothing to do with him - in fact I now think they should kill him.

Not actually sure what Merlyn's endgame is in all this either.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

VagueRant posted:

I was all against Felicity's negativity until Diggle met with Merlyn and reminded me of all the terrible stuff he's done and made a pretty good case for having nothing to do with him - in fact I now think they should kill him.

Not actually sure what Merlyn's endgame is in all this either.

Survival seems to be his ultimate goal. Maybe bonding with Thea too, but mostly not getting killed by the League.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
At this point, working with Merlyn is like letting the man who dissolves bodies for the mob babysit because where are we going to find someone else at 7 PM on a Friday?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't remember the details of Merlyn's back-up video, but just kill Merlyn and give his body over the to al-Ghuls. They're well aware that Oliver was lying the first time around. Do that instead of this nonsensical training idea.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The way this is going, by next season this show will only be about Oliver and Felicity, each episode will be them declaring their love for each other, but that they cannot be together for "reasons".

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The thing Oliver's going to have to sacrifice is his sister. To defeat Ra's, prevent him from loving up Starling City, he has to hand Malcolm over to him. And she'll never forgive him.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Which would be even worse

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oliver isn't just teaming up with Merlyn for expediency, he believes he can be saved. He's really not being a dick this time. He probably should have at least said as much to Felicity, but she hardly let him get a word in edgewise.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
If it were not for the Oliver-R'as fight, I'd put this arc below the Huntress arc. Oliver would have been dead even if Barry were standing at the foot of the mountain ready to carry him to the best trauma center in the world. Oliver should have died and been resurrected through whatever mystical means the writers wanted to use, or at the very least he should have returned to Starling City still severely injured. The fact that you can fight one of the most deadly men in the world and recover as if you had the flu - with tea and bed rest - is the silliest thing the show has done, and makes R'as look incompetent. The road map for the rest of the season doesn't look promising either. Teaming up to defeat R'as and the League when he puts the city under siege shouldn't happen this early, unless Oliver will be fighting meta-humans all of season four. It's going to look pretty dumb having a random drug kingpin/thief beat up Oliver and get away early on in each episode when Oliver is going to go toe to toe with one of the most skilled combatants alive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lycus posted:

I don't remember the details of Merlyn's back-up video, but just kill Merlyn and give his body over the to al-Ghuls. They're well aware that Oliver was lying the first time around. Do that instead of this nonsensical training idea.

He can't, that will make Felicity cry.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's heading towards Team Atom at a rapid rate.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lycus posted:

Oliver is working under the not all together misguided idea that the league will also want Thea dead for Sara's murder. So even if he hands over Merlyn's corpse it doesn't solve that problem.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

howe_sam posted:

Oliver is working under the not all together misguided idea that the league will also want Thea dead for Sara's murder. So even if he hands over Merlyn's corpse it doesn't solve that problem.

Well if you turn in Merlyn's corpse, Thea would be in the clear as he can't show them the video of Sara's murder.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Timett posted:

Which would be even worse

That's not in fact possible.

It does not actually get any worse than Oliver literally dying and then being resurrected offscreen, EFFORTLESSLY by means of something which is never explained. So out of all the possibilities, the least bad one is that clearly, he never died in the first place.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That's not in fact possible.

It does not actually get any worse than Oliver literally dying and then being resurrected offscreen, EFFORTLESSLY by means of something which is never explained. So out of all the possibilities, the least bad one is that clearly, he never died in the first place.

Ras Al Ghul: World's worst executioner

TyrantWD posted:

Well if you turn in Merlyn's corpse, Thea would be in the clear as he can't show them the video of Sara's murder.

No but you see they can't kill Merlyn because he could have sent copies to all his contacts who would turn it over on his death or some other thing that ends up with Oliver and Merlyn working together.. Furthermore,

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does not actually get any worse than Oliver literally dying and then being resurrected offscreen

Yeah it would be pretty bad if that had happened.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Aphrodite posted:

He can't, that will make Felicity cry.

Felicity's complaints are pretty legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her complaints are not even consistent.

• Locked thread