Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Funnypost Collabo posted:

He only has 16HP which is 1-2 attacks worth. You should always be able to focus them down pretty quickly.

What level are you? At rank 0 and 1 it's a little iffy, but by the time I was hitting rank 2 my guys were hitting for 10-30+ damage a turn with ~80+% accuracy unless debuffed. It only takes two or three short dungeons to get someone to rank 2 and you can do a lot of the Short quests with only 2 or 3 combats.

Literally every quest I get is to clear all the rooms, so getting guys beyond rank 0 has been hard. Most of the dungeons are completely linear even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you're doing Short quests, even in the explore 90% of rooms ones you should only be running in to about 3 rooms that you fight in, add in a couple hallway fights and you really only need to survive about 5 encounters.

They should probably do something to make your first few quests a bit easier, not being able to unlock the skills you want at the guild adds a random factor (characters should just start with all skills unlocked and upgrades should be more expensive to compensate, imo) because it's very possible you've recruited characters that just have bad skill builds that you can't fix because you don't have like 3k gold to dump on some skills. That's something I hadn't considered when writing those posts, once you can get past that hump it should become a lot easier. Try to save up like 6-10k and take a look at skills available in the Guild. Remember to run away from a fight (flag button on minimap) then escape the dungeon (flag button in the top left) before you wipe so you keep all the gold/loot you found.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just go ambushed by skeletons after setting up camp. Somehow, the skeletons started off the fight surprised. I can only imagine they're just bumbling through the dungeon and fell upon me completely by accident.

EDIT: So I've learned that even if you find a map that reveals EVERYTHING, it does not reveal quest objectives that spawn in hallways. So don't be like me and forget to check one hallway at the start of the dungeon because you assumed it was empty.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 5, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
You can't blame the players for doing something unfun but effective, regardless of designer intent. Things like that are like desire paths; you can blame pedestrians for not staying on the sidewalk, but the reason they're straying off of it is because its a better option than staying on.

I've done the stun/heal thing, since in the early game, you can be left with not too many other options. I can't do builds yet, and even playing smart just means hoping that virtual dice dont decide to gently caress with me. Getting crit twice by gun folk that I can't kill or displace in time due to inaccuracy / turn order stuff means I either need to abort the dungeon, fire everyone involved, hire a new party, and do a few suicide runs to make enough money to do another "real" attempt at completing a quest, in which I would do the exact same actions and hope that I don't get unlucky again. That, or I could just drag out a fight to 15 rounds to ensure everyone is fully healed, which is actually a very easy thing to do.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Getting crit twice by gun folk that I can't kill or displace in time due to inaccuracy / turn order stuff means I either need to abort the dungeon, fire everyone involved, hire a new party, and do a few suicide runs to make enough money to do another "real" attempt at completing a quest, in which I would do the exact same actions and hope that I don't get unlucky again. That, or I could just drag out a fight to 15 rounds to ensure everyone is fully healed, which is actually a very easy thing to do.

Reading this post it seems that it's more likely to get crit twice in a row with blanket shot, out of nowhere, than that an enemy resists/dodges a stun in 15. I think you may be exaggerating a tiny bit.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 5, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I don't really know the odds to the gun guy critting people twice in a row, other than it happened to me once, and I did not like it.

And so what if a dude resists a stun? Its not like he hulks out and kills people, it just means I'm likely going to have to throw out another heal. At worst, its a crit, which in terms of managing risks is just something that can happen and there's not much you can do about it. This is something you can plan around, too, in that you can bring two healers, and two stunners, or something along those lines, basically guaranteeing that you can end every fight with full health, no matter how badly the rng decides to screw with you. You act like this is an infeasible tactic or something. Its not, at least during early game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You guys are really overstating the danger of one enemy. You don't even have to stunlock it, you can just ignore it by moving in place forever. If it only does a trivial amount of damage per turn, what danger does it pose? There are plenty of enemies where once you kill all their buddies, the worst they can do is stress you out with a lucky crit. There are skills to reduce stress in battle though, so if you wanted to be REALLY scummy you could just juggle health and stress heals indefinitely. Its not hard to do at all and I could be doing it nearly every fight if I really wanted to.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

And so what if a dude resists a stun? Its not like he hulks out and kills people, it just means I'm likely going to have to throw out another heal.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Getting crit twice by gun folk that I can't kill or displace in time due to inaccuracy / turn order stuff means I either need to abort the dungeon, fire everyone involved, hire a new party, and do a few suicide runs to make enough money to do another "real" attempt at completing a quest, in which I would do the exact same actions and hope that I don't get unlucky again.

Internet Kraken posted:

You guys are really overstating the danger of one enemy. You don't even have to stunlock it, you can just ignore it by moving in place forever.

Internet Kraken posted:

I also don't like one guy being put into death's door by a crit and then having no way to deal with it other than stalling for turns so I can heal him.

Sorry, are enemies too dangerous to leave them alive or too easy to ignore/stun while you heal? You can't have both.

Stalling is something you can do, but has its risks and drawbacks. Not stalling is not doomed to fail and bad play. Both have their place and both have their risks.

EDIT: I think the problem with "too much stalling" is that you're trying to get everyone in perfect condition. Raising the party health to 80% is easy, getting them to 100% is hard because of bleeds/enemy attacks. At some point you're going to have to admit that you can't return the party to mint condition, and soldier on.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, are enemies too dangerous to leave them alive or too easy to ignore/stun while you heal? You can't have both.

Its almost like this is a game where crits exist and its possible for a group of enemies to do a ton of damage in the span of a single turn!

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: I think the problem with "too much stalling" is that you're trying to get everyone in perfect condition. Raising the party health to 80% is easy, getting them to 100% is hard because of bleeds/enemy attacks. At some point you're going to have to admit that you can't return the party to mint condition, and soldier on.

No. The situation in which I'd do heal stalling is something like this;

This stupid little mushroom isn't going to kill me unless I let him. I can shuffle my guys around/have them waste turns buffing for no penalty. I can heal my guys back to an acceptable level while the mushroom flails about. Objectively speaking, this is absolutely the smartest play. If I just kill the mushroom, my guys are stuck at critical HP and I have the option of pressing on to almost certain death or abandoning the dungeon. Instead I can let it live while I heal, getting my party back up to an acceptable level. Its tedious but it beats giving up on an entire quest or getting guys killed when I know I can save them. And I'm sure as gently caress not abandoning this weald quest when its the first one the game has given me in weeks and I need the deeds to upgrade specific buildings!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 5, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It might not be ideal, but I like my vestal/highwayman/grave robber/bounty hunter party the best. Since the grave robber is trading places constantly with the highwayman while stunning, it sets up the bounty hunter's damage bonus while making that one person all but untouchable. Needing to heal 25% less while killing things quickly is very nice, even if it is all single target. Of course, that this is my only party set up so that any member can fight from any position is probably why it has never been rearranged via ambush. This isn't the best party for bosses though, given that hellion's bleed fucks bosses up like nothing else.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is the eating loving random? I bring 12 food to a medium dungeon and they want to eat after every second or so room!

Edit: And they wanted to eat again 1 room after. Failed because of that poo poo.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Got the game yesterday and completely wrecked my original plan of sleeping earlier.

After a false start where I had party wipe two in a roll and had no money, I decided to restart.

The highwayman died in the tutorial. I was thinking about maybe restarting again, but decided against it and now I am at around week 12 with two level 3 people stocked up and really short on cash (I can't afford enough food and torch and one shovel short). One battle was extremely close, I had a Hellion at death's door and she somehow solo'd 3 weak monsters by herself getting hit no less than 6 times and somehow survived. That was tense.

Game is really fun and I love the narrator guy, hopefully he'll get even more lines as the game gets developed.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Is the eating loving random? I bring 12 food to a medium dungeon and they want to eat after every second or so room!

Edit: And they wanted to eat again 1 room after. Failed because of that poo poo.

Hunger is not a countdown, hunger is a random event that can happen anytime (except apparently straight after start and camping)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Okay since it's been mentioned a lot, what's the deal with switching places? People keep mentioning it in relation to stunning and I don't get the benefit of it at all.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Okay since it's been mentioned a lot, what's the deal with switching places? People keep mentioning it in relation to stunning and I don't get the benefit of it at all.

It lets you pass a turn without incurring stress.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dackel posted:

Hunger is not a countdown, hunger is a random event that can happen anytime (except apparently straight after start and camping)

Its kinda bullshit imo, you cannot plan around it and if you don't eat you get massive stress and damage.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

FrickenMoron posted:

Its kinda bullshit imo, you cannot plan around it and if you don't eat you get massive stress and damage.

Yea its my biggest issue at the moment, I have trouble with cash as it is but when I go with less food I get constant hunger events. Then I will go with more food and have no hunger events, I do like the random nature but there should be a cooldown on the hunger event till at least 3+ rooms a time.

That being said I love the game I've noticed recently I've been alot more inclined to buy and play these small indie type games over the "AAA" ones. I also have alot more fun with them too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its almost like this is a game where crits exist and its possible for a group of enemies to do a ton of damage in the span of a single turn!

Which is exactly why stalling for 20+ turns is pointless and not mechanically encouraged, which is the argument you're making.

Internet Kraken posted:

No. The situation in which I'd do heal stalling is something like this;

This stupid little mushroom isn't going to kill me unless I let him.

Depending on turn order, you're a stun failure away of losing both your frontliners. How did you end up with your tanks blighted and one hit away from deaths door, anyway? You have no stress on them, which means you didn't get any critical hits. If you had, though, at least one of your guys would be dead.

What I'm trying to say is that this looks like bad play, trying to leave the artillery for last and ignoring the fact that it powers up the big dudes with mark. Pulling the arty forward would have reduced your damage considerably, but would have left your party facing a thougher enemy that's harder to stall against. Again, the decisions aren't as obvious as you make them look.

Anyway, the mushroom is going to atack and have a chance of blighting your two frontliners every single turn, which could be fixed if your doctor has healing (given that you have 2 blighted guys and the enemy is bleeding, I'm going to guess he does not). You have (assuming level 0 guys) around 4 HP and 4 Stress recovery a turn and the critter does a couple on average (plus blight). Problem you have here is that each crit will hit for above your healing, and raise your group stress 10-30 points, so each turn is a chance of you trading health for stress.

But yes, in this particular situation you've selected, with the weakest enemy I can think of besides a skeleton, stalling at least until you bring your two frontliners to 50/60% health is a no brainer. But holding for more than three or four turns has a chance of giving you stress, so it's not worth it to sweat it beyond that. It's almost if sometimes this tactic has drawbacks and it's not the best thing to do all the time.

I can't remember how much health the artillery have. It's the bleed and stun enough to kill it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

My supplies are as follows: Short dungeon I bring 8 food (for two events), 6-8 torches and one of each of the other supplies.

For a medium dungeon I bring 12-14 torches, 20 food, two shovels, 3 bandages, 3 antidote and the rest is filler.

Always bring lots of food on mediums. Plan for three hunger events and a full ration.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Welp, had my only level 3 guys wiped on the level 2 necromancer. I'm more annoyed about losing all my trinkets than I am my fighters. Back into the loving grinder it is!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

Knowing that to play optimally I need to stun an enemy indefinitely so my party doesn't get murdered next fight is pretty poo poo though. There needs to be a better way to heal outside of combat at the very least. Because as fun as this game is, this part of it is really lovely.

you dont need to do this the game is in no way balanced around stun locking people and abusing healers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Been playing it and rather enjoying it!

Healers should give temporary health for just that fight rather than actually heal permanently though, except for getting people off Death's door which'd be an 'actual' heal. Would fix the in combat/out of combat healing problem quite nicely. Ditto for Sanity regains, should be 'Temporary' Sanity except it lasts for the dungeon run rather than one fight and all comes washing back when you leave meaning your people come out of a dungeon, adrenaline wears off and they immediately sink into depression.

May need a bit of retweaking, but that's the way I see it being fixed.

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 5, 2015

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Probably nothing new here, still:

Love the art and sound direction and eldritch-everything feel.

A bit baffled that you can't skip the tutorial (especially in a game you're going to be restarting a lot), and that party/hero speech bring everything else to a standstill.

I really dislike the mission difficulty gating not allowing you to take stronger heroes on easier expeditions, twice now I've only had three level3 heroes and have had to try and grind up a fourth - so tedious.

The RNG is pretty rough; I can appreciate being punished for making stupid decisions, but things going so badly so quickly through seemingly unavoidable bullshit (full torchlight, get surprised, one or more position-changing skills, party hosed) doesn't enamour me to play more.

Early days I suppose!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fat Samurai posted:

Yes you can. A Bone Arbalist/Bandit Fusilier in the third/fourth enemy rank is dangerous as all gently caress, but alone and in the first rank is trivial and really just a speed bump.

tl,dr: play tactically you dumb dumbs

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Nymphomaniac leper :gonk:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I tried to kill Wilber first :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fat Samurai posted:

Which is exactly why stalling for 20+ turns is pointless and not mechanically encouraged, which is the argument you're making.
But they're talking about stalling versus a single enemy, which isn't really dangerous.

basically this-

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes you can. A Bone Arbalist/Bandit Fusilier in the third/fourth enemy rank is dangerous as all gently caress, but alone and in the first rank is trivial and really just a speed bump.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Just try the stun-heal in game if you don't believe it's effective.

But speaking of effectiveness, it seems to me that the proper way to play a Leper is to trade him in for a Crusader. Better DPS, better crit, more reliable hitting, better dodge, better mobility, better party utility, better reach...

It takes something like +30 acc for Leper and Crusader to have equal DPS (assuming you'd give the +acc to Crusader too) but even then the other stuff just makes Crusader better.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kyrosiris posted:

How do I use the grave digger well

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

ZenVulgarity posted:

How do I use the grave digger well

Get her leveled, stack Dodge poo poo, laugh at feeble enemies trying to hit you

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Grave Digger is one of my favorite classes. Fantastic at dodging poo poo, can hit enemies pretty much anywhere she/they are positioned, does decent damage, and most importantly is super accurate and has pretty good crit modifiers.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
To everyone who told me I should have run away when it became clear the Hag was going to wipe my party: I think you're right. So, how do you run away? I got a UI pop after my first death that was like "someone died, maybe you should run!" but I couldn't find any way to do so. Also, can you run from any fight or only after someone dies?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Rashomon posted:

To everyone who told me I should have run away when it became clear the Hag was going to wipe my party: I think you're right. So, how do you run away? I got a UI pop after my first death that was like "someone died, maybe you should run!" but I couldn't find any way to do so. Also, can you run from any fight or only after someone dies?

You can run from any fight; you need to swap to the map tab and then there will be a red + white flag icon in the top left corner of it you can click. Be advised this dumps you into the prior corridor, so if your aim is to camp--you'll have to walk backwards to the previous room and that can mean a lot of stress and possibly getting bushwhacked.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rashomon posted:

There's a white flag icon on the map page that lets you retreat from battle. Similarly there's a white flag icon in the upper left by the quest objective that lets you abandon the run.

Note that if you run from a battle where someone has died you forfeit their trinkets (they're otherwise part of the post-battle loot but you lose them if you run). You can run at any time in a combat but stressed out (and especially people with a bad 100 stress result) people will be less likely to succeed in running.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeepQantas posted:

Just try the stun-heal in game if you don't believe it's effective.

But speaking of effectiveness, it seems to me that the proper way to play a Leper is to trade him in for a Crusader. Better DPS, better crit, more reliable hitting, better dodge, better mobility, better party utility, better reach...

It takes something like +30 acc for Leper and Crusader to have equal DPS (assuming you'd give the +acc to Crusader too) but even then the other stuff just makes Crusader better.

Yeah. Once I actually finish the current bosses I'm going to do a balance / recommended changes writeup and hope that the guide is high-profile enough now that the devs listen.

So far I think the Leper needs some utility and mobility, the Plague Doctor needs some general work (better buffs, more abilities vs. Front rank enemies, maybe even a minor heal), a number of trinkets need tweaking. The best fix suggestion I've seen for the stun-heal end-of-battle combo is to have a +5% chance, every round of combat after the 5th, that the noise of the combat attracts more monsters.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 5, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rashomon posted:

Read my guide there's a screenshot of the button. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

But they're talking about stalling versus a single enemy, which isn't really dangerous.
No, but neither is efficient or necessary, nor very effective beyond a certain point. The argument they are making is that in order to be efficient you have to, and I quote "drag out a fight to 15 rounds to ensure everyone is fully healed, which is actually a very easy thing to do".

And while an enemy may not be a danger to your HP, unless you're playing a Jester/Healer/possibly Crusader/Something team, stress will pile up as the enemy gets crits. So yes, they are dangerous and should be put down as fast as possible.

Kyrosiris posted:

Why are you leaving him alone until he's the last dude on the field, then? That target should be pulled to the front and killed in two turns, not left to be the last one so you can heal the damage he has inflicted while he flails ineffectively at you.

Basically

Kyrosiris posted:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Why are you leaving him alone until he's the last dude on the field, then? That target should be pulled to the front and killed in two turns, not left to be the last one so you can heal the damage he has inflicted while he flails ineffectively at you.

Because if he's in the front rank, he's ineffective, and some of his buddies don't have abilities that function outside of the first two ranks, so they can only pass as well. :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tollymain posted:

bone arbalist will gently caress up your day and has more hp than every other level 1 skeleton save the big one

Pull him to the front two rows using BH or Occultist or push one of the front row guys behind him with leper/plague doctor/ect. When he's in front all he can do is stab for ~2-3 damage.

That's part of the level 0-1 game (or level 2-3 game when going into the middle difficulty dungeons) is that if you're not sure you can kill the most dangerous enemies right off the bat you need to position them where they do less harm.

Edit: As far as the people complaining about playing optimally and bitching about characters potentially dying anyways: Think of the game like Classic difficulty XCom ironman. Your role is to minimize risk and try to get your guys through as safely as possible. It's not possible to be completely safe though, stuns and debuffs get resisted, enemies dodge your clutch attacks, enemies will focus fire one of your guys and murder him before your vestal's turn. poo poo happens. It's part of the reason why I don't like the Leper, He takes a turn to set up his accuracy buff otherwise his attacks are very high risk, you can't consistently count on him even hitting an enemy.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
One of my Crusaders has +5 ACC (Natural Swing ) and +10% DMG when Light Above: 75 (Warrior of Light) and two quirks that do not confer combat stat debuffs (Lygophoba and Flagellant) but his character sheet is showing a -5 ACC penalty and a -15% damage penalty, both from "other" sources. There are no other sources of stat modifiers active. Light is at 100%. What the heck is going on here? I'd give him the boot but I'm in the middle of a dungeon.