Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish that Lux Invicta's creator finished his catabasis so we know what the hell went on in-between 800 and 1066 CE. We could use some more AARs of that mod around here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Lux invicta's set up is a little bit "immortal Europa will never be contaminated by Semitic religion" though - ok, Christianity doesn't spread, Islam doesn't spread, Western Europe is super awesome!!!!!! Instead of being relegated to the periphery of the world for a couple of hundred years while Byzantium and Islam duke it out.

I'd also recommend "millennium" as a great book to read about the late first millennium AD. The second volume of the decline of the Roman Empire is also a good one, as would be God's Wars, a hefty tome about all the crusades. If you'd like to know more about the Islamic side of the period, Hourani's a history of the Arab peoples is excellent and goes from pre-Islam right through to the modern day (if you get a newer edition)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

lenoon posted:

Lux invicta's set up is a little bit "immortal Europa will never be contaminated by Semitic religion" though - ok, Christianity doesn't spread, Islam doesn't spread, Western Europe is super awesome!!!!!! Instead of being relegated to the periphery of the world for a couple of hundred years while Byzantium and Islam duke it out.
Isn't that just not bothering to change already existing provinces?

Like, it would be pretty baller to have settlements only where the Romans ruled or whatevs, with the rest being tribal but it seems like a lot of work.

I'd honestly kill for more places to settle as tribal Islam, because it is the bees goddamn knees. Why, yes, I would like all the pros of tribal poo poo with literally none of the downsides, thank you very much.

verbal enema posted:

ive played a combied 3000 hours of fps games on steam

hey lets try that ck2 game

what in the fuuuuuuuuuck this game owns
It does. Also are the two pics from your second sig-gif from the same anime and if so what it called.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait a minute. There's plenty of Catholicism and various heresies and synthetic sects to be found in the west! And the Muslims have most of north Africa!

BTW has armor and tactics evolved to OTL medieval levels?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Started a new game with custom ruler as Duke of Apulia. Things were going smoothly (apart a few rebellions but nothing I couldn't handle), founded the Kingdom of Sicily without hassle, but now the Byzantine Emperor decided it was time to reclaim some of his de jure land.

So, uh, what do you do when 38k guys come knocking at your doors and all your allies say "tough luck, not going to mess with the Byzantines", and you only have a 10k army? Of course I had to surrender and lose one county but they have the means to keep this going and push my poo poo in real good.

How do I kill those fuckers?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

TorakFade posted:

Started a new game with custom ruler as Duke of Apulia. Things were going smoothly (apart a few rebellions but nothing I couldn't handle), founded the Kingdom of Sicily without hassle, but now the Byzantine Emperor decided it was time to reclaim some of his de jure land.

So, uh, what do you do when 38k guys come knocking at your doors and all your allies say "tough luck, not going to mess with the Byzantines", and you only have a 10k army? Of course I had to surrender and lose one county but they have the means to keep this going and push my poo poo in real good.

How do I kill those fuckers?

My first impulse would be to swear fealty to him. No reason to fight the Emperor if you don't need to, and it insulates you from foreign attack, allowing you to expand more comfortably.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

brocretin posted:

My first impulse would be to swear fealty to him. No reason to fight the Emperor if you don't need to, and it insulates you from foreign attack, allowing you to expand more comfortably.

Yup, and if you are a King he cannot revoke your title without your consent.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you have more than one duchy, every single duke in the BE will have a casus beli to fight you just because you're strong, and they will use it non loving stop.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Volkerball posted:

If you have more than one duchy, every single duke in the BE will have a casus beli to fight you just because you're strong, and they will use it non loving stop.

Not been in the be for a while but never noticed this as a king.

Also perfectly viable to just own 1 duchy and a bunch of baronies. There is a max holding county in sicilly to use for you capital.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Isn't that just not bothering to change already existing provinces?

Like, it would be pretty baller to have settlements only where the Romans ruled or whatevs, with the rest being tribal but it seems like a lot of work.

I'd honestly kill for more places to settle as tribal Islam, because it is the bees goddamn knees. Why, yes, I would like all the pros of tribal poo poo with literally none of the downsides, thank you very much.
It does. Also are the two pics from your second sig-gif from the same anime and if so what it called.

first anime is GJ Bu second i have no idea what its from

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Problem solved: apparently the Basileus had blinded/castrated many of his vassals, so it was easy to get them to help me stabbing him. And when his inbred heir took control, revolts ensued; between that and my new alliance with the king of Poland, it was enough to keep him occupied long enough to snatch my county back :D

Hope the Byzantines learned not to gently caress with the King of Sicily!

Now, next step : trying to grab some pieces of Italy from the HRE to try and form the Empire of Italy. How would I do that?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

When I stopped playing ck2 lux was a broken mess. Sad to see that's still the case

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Rurikids are really bad at having kids. I've been landing the male members of my extended family all over Russia and the Baltic (because I'd lose most of it on death anyway with Gavelkind), and about two-thirds of the land I handed off to relatives has ended up being given back to me because they keep dying childless.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PrinceRandom posted:

When I stopped playing ck2 lux was a broken mess. Sad to see that's still the case
I managed to access all current dlc and my game runs just fine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So another one of my spymasters was caught by the Byzantines and released with body parts missing, in this case he was castrated. He's duke Marcas the Unchaste, master seducer with the seduction focus. I waited a month just to make sure, but he is still in the seduction focus. Is that a bug or working as intended?

zyang31
Oct 26, 2007

Torrannor posted:

So another one of my spymasters was caught by the Byzantines and released with body parts missing, in this case he was castrated. He's duke Marcas the Unchaste, master seducer with the seduction focus. I waited a month just to make sure, but he is still in the seduction focus. Is that a bug or working as intended?

He's just learned how to be creative is all.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Torrannor posted:

The man has a silver tongue.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Masonity posted:

As a master of intrigue, he has fingers in many pies.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Masonity posted:

Dammit

Jedit posted:

As a master of intrigue, he has fingers in many pies.

DAMMIT

But yeah if that dude is seriously still chasing tail without a dick give him props for persistence, at the very least

Someone should mod that in, actually: "Honorary Title: Brosef of the (Whatever) Empire +15 Relations w/Liege" or something

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Grouchio posted:

I managed to access all current dlc and my game runs just fine.

Same, i don't see how Lux Invicta is any more broken than all the other mods. Of course, your luck may vary depending on how stable the SVN version is that week.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Back To 99 posted:

Same, i don't see how Lux Invicta is any more broken than all the other mods. Of course, your luck may vary depending on how stable the SVN version is that week.

When I played it it crashed when I tried to open the character panel and the oceans were all an Indian religion

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

verbal enema posted:

first anime is GJ Bu second i have no idea what its from
dammit

PrinceRandom posted:

When I played it it crashed when I tried to open the character panel and the oceans were all an Indian religion
But what Caste was the ocean???

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

HaitianDivorce posted:

But yeah if that dude is seriously still chasing tail without a dick give him props for persistence, at the very least

He's still got his member, it's his entourage that's gone. :ssh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Neopie posted:

Aww man, that's awesome. I was worried I might accidently become a kingdom, but now that I know I can just spread capitalism by force, that's pretty great!

2 pages back but BOY CAN YOU EVER.

My ongoing game that I'm definitely importing to EU4. I think the best part is how Republics are locked at low crown authority so europe is like some hosed up thunderdome and all I can do is watch.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RagnarokAngel posted:

My ongoing game that I'm definitely importing to EU4. I think the best part is how Republics are locked at low crown authority so europe is like some hosed up thunderdome and all I can do is watch.

That is a very very pretty blue.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the best way to get the British Raj achievement. I'm trying out a method that suggests Haestein of Nantes, but he's Zealous and thus can;t convert with indian concubine.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a credible way to lose zealous with way of life? Something in theology or something?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there a credible way to lose zealous with way of life? Something in theology or something?

There's a 'crisis of faith' theology event that gives you a choice of zealous or cynic and remove the other if you already had it, but there's no way to ensure it fires.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jamsque posted:

There's a 'crisis of faith' theology event that gives you a choice of zealous or cynic and remove the other if you already had it, but there's no way to ensure it fires.

I swear it fires every time i take theology but since he actively wants it he probably won't get it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's the best way to get the British Raj achievement. I'm trying out a method that suggests Haestein of Nantes, but he's Zealous and thus can;t convert with indian concubine.

Haestein isn't guaranteed Zealous. This is his character info from the file:
code:
6878 = {
	name=Hæsteinn
	dynasty=1059
	religion=norse_pagan
	culture=norse
	diplomacy=9
	martial=9
	stewardship=5
	intrigue=7
	learning=4
	trait=gregarious
	trait=ambitious
	trait=quick
	trait=greedy
	trait=viking
	trait=brilliant_strategist
	823.1.1={
		birth=yes
	}
In fact, Haesteinn rolled Cynic when I just fired it up right now:

ulmont fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 6, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Okay, how did you do that? I can't get CBs on llike, /any/thing. I mean, I can slowly capture coastal cities and then counties, but it takes forever and because I'm Venice, I have a whole twoooo targets.

And one is the byzantine empire.

Admittedly my retuines are huge and I won a war against them but I don't think it's something I can do repeatedly

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Neopie posted:

Okay, how did you do that? I can't get CBs on llike, /any/thing. I mean, I can slowly capture coastal cities and then counties, but it takes forever and because I'm Venice, I have a whole twoooo targets.

And one is the byzantine empire.

Admittedly my retuines are huge and I won a war against them but I don't think it's something I can do repeatedly

Form empire, vassal pope, get pope claims and pope dollars out the rear end until victory is achieved.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I swear it fires every time i take theology but since he actively wants it he probably won't get it.

Right you are. Haestein died right as I finished my prepared invasion though, so I just took his father's old Buddhist concubine and used her to convert. Shame because Haestein had been through the hunting path and picked up diligent, strong and a bunch of martial.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I still don't understand how people do amazing things with Haestein. Is it exploiting prepared invasions and the Norse coastal CB?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Forming an empire takes like 4000 more prestige than my rulers get before they die, also way more land. I really only have venice +4-5 assorted counties.

Admittedly I guess I could just keep stockpiling money until I get like 5 prestige a month from it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Neopie posted:

Forming an empire takes like 4000 more prestige than my rulers get before they die, also way more land. I really only have venice +4-5 assorted counties.

Admittedly I guess I could just keep stockpiling money until I get like 5 prestige a month from it

I got it by rolling in Holy Wars and using said gold to buy a lot of mercenaries to run a train on the unfaithful.

It gets easier as you unlock Majesty Techs too.

Completely unrelated I had a Grand Prince who was a homosexual and a king vassal who was real unhappy with me.

I noticed he is also in fact a homosexual so i switched to the seduce focus and we became gay lovers which made him stop hating me.

What I'm saying is Way of Life is awesome.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Did you get the option to form the HRE as Venice?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funky Valentine posted:

I still don't understand how people do amazing things with Haestein. Is it exploiting prepared invasions and the Norse coastal CB?

In part. My last Haesteinn game I managed to take Brittany and hold it, but your best bet is to use the coastal CB to capture all of Ireland, which in 867 is almost entirely single province rulers and only has one non-coastal county.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I know for a fact you can with the 769 start, as that is what I did in my last run. Such a pretty white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty sure I can but what I did was form a titular title.

I don't have the kingdom of Italy, i obtained it by putting a pretender vassal on the throne.

• Locked thread