Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

THC posted:

Clint Eastwood might have lost a few fans when he had a dialogue with an empty chair. But how much can you fault a man who maintains his beliefs when faced with overwhelming dissent?

Clint Eastwood has obviously achieved fame and success outside of referring to Obama as an empty chair, and he remains no stranger to controversy. He has opened up about what he calls “the pussy generation”. Our generation. And, unfortunately, it’s not because we get a lot of it.

Eastwood has claimed that society has turned us into pussies. And with the advent of political correctness, this symptom of our generation is plain to see. But he speaks for the majority, not the cream of our generational crop, who have risen above the pedestrian lifestyle to function in the elite category of men.

I really liked Eastwood in titanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

nah im not saying i'm special at all, i'm saying the opposite

i am an undegreed piece of poo poo that has job hopped left and right to make every one of those pay raises

also i live in a 90% mexican neighborhood and am fully aware that every one of them works harder than I do so do not even try the racist tip on me, i ride farther back on the bus than most of you would even look

ok im sorry for calling u bayou stymie

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i believe the running term is 'bumpkin stymie' if ur going for consistency.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
always remember that orange stymie is the worst stymie

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

is there a stymie for other citrus fruits as well?

because gently caress grapefruit stymie whoever that might be.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
dibs on being calamondin stymie

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
who is orange stymie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
what was the original stymie a stymie of specifically?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ios5/apple maps

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

who is orange stymie

orange stymie knows who they are

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

who is orange stymie

youre durian stymie

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
one of the interns today started going on about social justice warriors and tumblr

not five minutes before, he busted this line out in reference to someone saying they were gonna do what their wife wanted over the weekend - "well, that's how things go in all of the tv I've seen, not that I would know because I don't have a girlfriend"

can't imagine why buddy, can't imagine why

Butcher
Nov 29, 2004
TODO: Place Title Here

sounds like he needs to watch "what women want" starring mel gibson and helen hunt

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thesoro posted:

i like whenever someone talks about "real men" because it's an easy indicator that the rest of what they're saying is best ignored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1wkgqt6g8

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
our intern helpfully suggested that it'd be great if more people's parents died because of the sympathy/condolences food/pastries my vendors/partners sent that i put in the break room.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

it was an lf thing. sorta had to be there

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pr0zac posted:

youre durian stymie

noooo nobody was supposed to know about that

lets not speak of this again

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

As a Millennial I posted:

...and fix the pinball machine"

Ha! You and your single pinball machine.
We have two broken pinball machines at my office.

How long can healthcare costs spiral out of control like this though? We recently instituted the same BS of having to get approval from the insurance company for prescriptions your doctor wrote, that someone here was complaining about.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well we live in a cyberpunk dystopia so probably forever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

take him off of ignore and engage him for like two posts and it will become immediately obvious

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

take him off of ignore and engage him for like two posts and it will become immediately obvious

better yet, don't

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

ok im sorry for calling u bayou stymie

that's me actually

jonny is from the land of hookworms and clintons and a low enough watertable to allow "base-ments" which are an amazement of structural engineering to simple swamp folk

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sagebrush posted:

the original stymie is the culmination of all stymieness much like brahman is the font of all things

all the other stymies are aspects of his terribleness

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

bad posting, worse avatar

all the stymies after him just inherit one tiny sliver of his power, like captain planet or something

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

one of the interns today started going on about social justice warriors and tumblr

not five minutes before, he busted this line out in reference to someone saying they were gonna do what their wife wanted over the weekend - "well, that's how things go in all of the tv I've seen, not that I would know because I don't have a girlfriend"

can't imagine why buddy, can't imagine why

not sure what any of these things have to do with anything, sorry about your sad pathetic intern

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can i be pineapple stymie?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Ha! You and your single pinball machine.
We have two broken pinball machines at my office.

How long can healthcare costs spiral out of control like this though? We recently instituted the same BS of having to get approval from the insurance company for prescriptions your doctor wrote, that someone here was complaining about.

what are the pinball machines

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

can i be pineapple stymie?

pineapple is a great pizza topping but ham (which is what canadian bacon is) isn't

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

non-california-compensation.txt [this is in houston]

quote:

Description

Core Responsibilities
• Work directly with the executive team to shape the design vision and branding of the company.
• Create polished and intuitive website designs & user experiences from specs and rough mockups.
• Make those designs come to life by converting the them into usable front-end code (using HTML and CSS).
• Contribute to high-level strategic discussions. We want to hear not just how we should build something, but what we should build and why we should build it.
• Grow and manage a design team.

Details
Skills
User Experience Design, HTML, CSS, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Responsive Design, Bootstrap, HTML5
Compensation
Full Time
$50K – $70K Salary
0.0% – 2.0% Equity
hi yes we'd like you to design our brand, user experience and implement it in code while providing ux strategy oh and also hire and manage your own team for 50 grand and maybe some equity

ooh, they're offering up to 100k for a "Software Architect and Lead Developer" how generous

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TerminalRaptor posted:

How long can healthcare costs spiral out of control like this though?

warning: careposting imminent

the real answer is: healthcare costs can rise faster than inflation as long as worker productivity per hour goes up.

most jobs, productivity goes up by leaps and bounds across the decades. factory workers are 3x as productive per hour as they were 50 years ago. software developers are probably more like 10x or 100x versus 50 years ago (not that they produce more software, but the software accomplishes more with less effort). civil engineers are at least 2x as productive, maybe more, because better tools enables fewer engineers to do more and higher quality work.

other jobs get no improvements whatsoever. a concert violinist produces exactly the same amount of hours playing violin as she did in 1950 and 1850 and 1750. a teacher can get exactly as much one on one time with students as 50 years ago. but the most important, and frightening, consequence is in healthcare: doctors and nurses have the same number of hours in the day as they ever did.

what this means is that the costs of products in high-productivity industries fall (consumer products, software, cars, electronics) while the costs of products of fixed-productivity industries skyrocket (education, healthcare, classical music).

wages have been falling for forty years. cheap imports protect the middle classes from a falling standard of living, because their lower wages can buy the same amount of goods at a lower price. no amount of import substitution will protect them from skyrocketing costs in health and education.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
that care post probably would have fit better on actual hn than here

on hn it would have been voted into oblivion almost immediately though. its audience cannot tolerate the thought that technology doesn't handwave away problems. e-surgery!!! have one doctor do ten patients at once!!!! end licensure!!! crowdsourced nursing!! uber for LPNs!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but the most important, and frightening, consequence is in healthcare: doctors and nurses have the same number of hours in the day as they ever did.

and they're still etching charts onto stone tablets and discussing results by telegram so

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

ham (which is what canadian bacon is)

this is categorically wrong

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

and they're still etching charts onto stone tablets and discussing results by telegram so

i get that you're making fun of me, but this is basically true

in medicine, clay tablets and telegrams are not very much worse for productivity than paper and telephone, or electronic medical records and cisco videoconferencing.

emr is mostly sold as a way to reduce errors. increasing productivity isn't a primary goal.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

civil engineers are at least 2x as productive, maybe more, because better tools enables fewer engineers to do more and higher quality work.

back in the hand-drafting days one engineer with a minimum of one trained drafter could produce a single sheet from a plan set in around 12 hours (depending on how much text was on there) or one entire workday plus part of the following morning

that's now cut down to around a few hours for just the engineer, and somewhere around 4-5 engineers can share a single drafter to just have them give it polish nowadays

it's more like two orders of magnitude of productions gains there esp when you take into account that the software lets you make changes on the fly instead of having to wait an entire workday for one new sheet

they've been able to cut supporting staff like crazy now that engineers are expected to know how to competently draft in addition to design duties and wages have actually dropped intergenerationally which makes sense since there's always a "shortage" of engineering grads (aka they want too much money graduate more of them)

my bosses all handily outearned me in the late 80s-early 90s before even taking inflation into account

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

back in the hand-drafting days one engineer with a minimum of one trained drafter could produce a single sheet from a plan set in around 12 hours (depending on how much text was on there) or one entire workday plus part of the following morning

that's now cut down to around a few hours for just the engineer, and somewhere around 4-5 engineers can share a single drafter to just have them give it polish nowadays

it's more like two orders of magnitude of productions gains there esp when you take into account that the software lets you make changes on the fly instead of having to wait an entire workday for one new sheet

they've been able to cut supporting staff like crazy now that engineers are expected to know how to competently draft in addition to design duties and wages have actually dropped intergenerationally which makes sense since there's always a "shortage" of engineering grads (aka they want too much money graduate more of them)

my bosses all handily outearned me in the late 80s-early 90s before even taking inflation into account

revit can do some crazy stuff, and work in navisworks to do clash detection in the field and you've got less need for change orders because people can just shift a pipe around and just plot an updated set

over at the epic campus they just have sheds full of drafters in the field making changes as issues come up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in contrast to h.p. hovercraft's experience:
  • thus far computerization hasn't allowed doctors to make 100x as many diagnoses in an hour
  • no advances in technology have made nurses able to check 100x as many patients for bedsores
  • pharmaceutical research costs don't go down because trials still involve people and animals

in a way it's a "good" thing that healthcare costs rise against all other goods: it means all other goods are becoming less expensive relative to labor. rising healthcare costs are a sign of a healthy economy whose growth is driven by technological advancement and rising worker productivity, instead of birth rates and natural resource extraction

the real problem is that wages have been falling for forty years while worker productivity has skyrocketed in the same period. unaffordable healthcare and education is the first sign to many american families that they're getting a raw fuckin deal in an incredibly prosperous era

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 5, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

death to america

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in contrast to h.p. hovercraft's experience:
  • thus far computerization hasn't allowed doctors to make 100x as many diagnoses in an hour
  • no advances in technology have made nurses able to check 100x as many patients for bedsores
  • pharmaceutical research costs don't go down because trials still involve people and animals

still think you're cherry picking irreducibly complex bits and ignoring efficiencies like not having to monitor critical patients 1:1 overnight when equipment readings can all be routed to a single doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emr is mostly sold as a way to reduce errors. increasing productivity isn't a primary goal.

reduction of errors is intrinsically tied to increasing productivity

the less time you have to spend loving up and cleaning up your mess, the more time you have to actually do your job

health care is such a gold mine for productivity changes i honestly think it won't come close to being fixed by the time i retire, it's orders of magnitude worse than that story about the military pay system

• Locked thread