Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

whatever7 posted:

Can you get AOSP browser work on your device?

I just couldn't get AOSP browser work the way I wanted on Android 4.4. I recently flash my LG OG Pro back to a 4.1 rom and couldn't be happier.

I think Titanium Backup has problem w 4.4 too.

I'm not root, so I can't check, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Can you get AOSP browser work on your device?

I just couldn't get AOSP browser work the way I wanted on Android 4.4. I recently flash my LG OG Pro back to a 4.1 rom and couldn't be happier.

I think Titanium Backup has problem w 4.4 too.
AOSP Browser hasn't worked in forever. Not only that but in 4.4 the WebView is Chrome and in Lollipop it's abstracted further. I seem to remember a way to finagle it to work on 4.1 on a Nexus/GPe device which involved adding back a couple of sync files into the filesystem and doing some other bit of voodoo but that broke in 4.2 and that was that.

As for Titanium, it works fine all the way through Lollipop just don't backup wifi hotspots on 5.0+.

Edit: In fact, thinking on it further I'm pretty sure I remember Google saying that the AOSP Browser was deprecated entirely and if OEMs wanted a browser that wasn't Chrome they'd have to write it themselves but I'm too tired to find a source for that. I'm pretty sure that was with 4.4 but it might've even been 4.3.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 4, 2015

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

LastInLine posted:

AOSP Browser hasn't worked in forever. Not only that but in 4.4 the WebView is Chrome and in Lollipop it's abstracted further. I seem to remember a way to finagle it to work on 4.1 on a Nexus/GPe device which involved adding back a couple of sync files into the filesystem and doing some other bit of voodoo but that broke in 4.2 and that was that.

As for Titanium, it works fine all the way through Lollipop just don't backup wifi hotspots on 5.0+.

Edit: In fact, thinking on it further I'm pretty sure I remember Google saying that the AOSP Browser was deprecated entirely and if OEMs wanted a browser that wasn't Chrome they'd have to write it themselves but I'm too tired to find a source for that. I'm pretty sure that was with 4.4 but it might've even been 4.3.

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-leaves-most-android-users-exposed-to-hackers/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The N5 is back in stock in Black on the Play Store. If I was in the market for a phone and didn't want a clown shoe N6, I'd it's a really nice option.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Lollipop 5.1 is already showing up on those Android One devices.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-nexus-devices/

Here's a nice little change that's part of it. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/04/android-5-1-feature-spotlight-change-wi-fi-or-bluetooth-connections-from-the-quick-settings-menu/

The ability to change WiFi or Bluetooth from the quick settings menu.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skeezy posted:

The ability to change WiFi or Bluetooth from the quick settings menu.

Praise Allah.

edit:

quote:

here's how it works right now: when you lower the notification shade to the Quick Settings menu, you can either toggle Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on or off by tapping their respective icons, or tap the word "Wi-Fi" or "Bluetooth" instead to go to their respective menu pages.

:eyepop:

Didn't know that!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Didn't know that!

:eyepop: I remember seeing this in all those "first look" videos and being like "huh, what a great idea" and yep, it is pretty awesome. Shame you missed out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nimper posted:

Didn't know that!

Seems like Lollipop has a lot of poo poo like that and for some reason they decided it would be smart not to show that "hey you can click here to do this" or just bring attention to it.

It's weird.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

:eyepop: I remember seeing this in all those "first look" videos and being like "huh, what a great idea" and yep, it is pretty awesome. Shame you missed out.

That's alright. The 5.1 implementation will be better anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, they're adding the ability to switch wifi networks under the quick settings menu so that you can change those settings in app (something I've had to do exactly never) and still forgoing moving the priority notification toggle to the quick settings location where it would be more logical.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Is the N6 still the go-to phone when looking to buy off-contract?

I am selling mine in Sa Mart because I was not a fan of it. I didn't like lollipop and honestly even with my giant hands I couldn't get used to that size of a phone. As slow as my Moto X is it just feels better and being able to use it one handed while holding a crying baby helps a lot. However I did forget how nice the speakers were on the N6 and took it for granted when I used it

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

See this is kind of poo poo that make me reluctant to upgrade. I haven't seen anything from 4.4 or 5.0 that make me want to give up the awesome quick controls from AOSP browser.

I recently picked up a Padfone X running on 4.4 for a song. I got almost everything work except AOSP bowser and GMD guesture control. I ain't giving up GMD gesture control either. I think I will just stock up on 2013 phones.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does the s5 with lollipop really not support multiple users?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

whatever7 posted:

See this is kind of poo poo that make me reluctant to upgrade. I haven't seen anything from 4.4 or 5.0 that make me want to give up the awesome quick controls from AOSP browser.

I recently picked up a Padfone X running on 4.4 for a song. I got almost everything work except AOSP bowser and GMD guesture control. I ain't giving up GMD gesture control either. I think I will just stock up on 2013 phones.

This is the weirdest tech ludditism I've ever seen.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

kri kri posted:

Does the s5 with lollipop really not support multiple users?

Probably not, they stripped multiuser support out of tablets.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Rusty! posted:

Probably not, they stripped multiuser support out of tablets.

Multi user works fine on the Tab S though?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Godinster posted:

Multi user works fine on the Tab S though?

Oh, well they used to strip it out, then.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So there's a new Xposed being made or at least the systems are similar to Xposed. For right now it's called "El Pollo" (I know what this means but I have no idea if it's some weird XDA in joke or something). It's currently in private testing and being made by "HomerSP" and "N.Russell" who are both guys who ran a dev group called Villian ROM also XDA I guess I don't know. Either way it's legit and here's a link:

http://www.landofdroid.com/2015/xposed-style-framework-for-lollipop-in-beta-testing/

Take it as you will but whatever. Nothing really to get excited over yet.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The HTC one M8 is a great phone, but for some reason is not included in the op. I'd recommend it to anyone. The camera could maybe be improved upon but even thats got some great features for idiots like me to play with.

Does it have the purple fringing issue like on the M7?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skeezy posted:

So there's a new Xposed being made or at least the systems are similar to Xposed. For right now it's called "El Pollo" (I know what this means but I have no idea if it's some weird XDA in joke or something). It's currently in private testing and being made by "HomerSP" and "N.Russell" who are both guys who ran a dev group called Villian ROM also XDA I guess I don't know. Either way it's legit and here's a link:

http://www.landofdroid.com/2015/xposed-style-framework-for-lollipop-in-beta-testing/

Take it as you will but whatever. Nothing really to get excited over yet.

root thread, please.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

b0nes posted:

Does it have the purple fringing issue like on the M7?

Nope. The lens coating can get scratched pretty easily, but it's also an easy fix if that happens.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rusty! posted:

Oh, well they used to strip it out, then.

Well, MY WIFEs recently updated s5 doesn't have it as far as I can tell. I'll tell her she got samsung'd I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is probably a dumb question but are the Moto voice assist (ok moto x) and the same as the ok google or is it just a redundant poo poo that uses google anyways?

Basically, any benefit to using it over what google already has in place?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is probably a dumb question but are the Moto voice assist (ok moto x) and the same as the ok google or is it just a redundant poo poo that uses google anyways?

On my Moto Maxx the app lets me define a custom activation phrase, but as far as I've seen it pipes all voice commands to Google Now. However, the app also lets you configure the other stuff Motorola adds - sleeping/driving/home/meeting modes, twist-for-camera, active display, etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

The whole point to deprecating it was that the old one was a security nightmare. You're insane.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

The whole point to deprecating it was that the old one was a security nightmare. You're insane.

Funny nobody calles it "security nightmare" one year ago. Feel free to call whatever name you like to justify your phone purchase.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

root thread, please.

You got it. I forgot that thread still existed.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

whatever7 posted:

Funny nobody calles it "security nightmare" one year ago. Feel free to call whatever name you like to justify your phone purchase.

There was a time when nobody considered Windows XP a security nightmare either. Things change.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

whatever7 posted:

Funny nobody calles it "security nightmare" one year ago.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Code is not a magical, static, unchanging thing. People thought SSL was fine a year ago, then Heartbleed happened.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

They probably didn't call it a security nightmare then because the exploit wasn't in the wild yet. It is now and you'd have to be crazy to ignore it. It's gotten enough mainstream press that Google even had to clarify why they weren't going to go back and fix the old WebView. The reason is because, "LOL we threw AOSP browser in the trash a year ago and OEMs need to update their poo poo."

You'd have be crazy or stupid not to move forward with browser security fixes, especially when dealing with known and exploited flaws.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Moto Voice can do some unique stuff on it's own (ask it "what's up" to get a reading of your pending notifications, or tell it "talk to me" to have incoming calls/SMS announced to you for a half-hour), and anything it can't handle natively it pipes to Google. The main advantage, however, is that Moto Voice is always-listening so it works even if the screen is off. If you turn off Moto Voice you lose that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

whatever7 posted:

Funny nobody calles it "security nightmare" one year ago.

not even wrong

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Surely given the plethora of alternate browsers available in the Play Store at least ONE will offer the edge-case functionality that makes the AOSP browser somehow indispensable to you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to replace my mess of cables with something simpler. Ideally I want a solution that uses a single power socket which can connect at least four devices via some kind of retractable USB cables that store away neatly but can be pulled out at least 1m (preferably 2m) to connect to devices (and which lock somehow so that they don't drag the devices towards the charger!). So either one pre-made device that does all of this or some combination of the right charger and cables to make this work. And it has to be available in the UK, preferably on Amazon Prime.

Any ideas?

(And before we get the obvious reply: yes, already I use wireless charging when I'm at my desk, but I also want a simply neat solution for charging my tablets, guest phones, etc.)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

You'd have be crazy or stupid not to move forward with browser security fixes, especially when dealing with known and exploited flaws.

My irrelevant edge case use scenarios are more important.

/installs warez app store

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else use a Nokia wireless base and it causes your phone to get really hot? It's super convenient to use with my Droid Maxx but it doesn't charge that quickly and the phone gets very warm to the touch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I'm looking to replace my mess of cables with something simpler. Ideally I want a solution that uses a single power socket which can connect at least four devices via some kind of retractable USB cables that store away neatly but can be pulled out at least 1m (preferably 2m) to connect to devices (and which lock somehow so that they don't drag the devices towards the charger!). So either one pre-made device that does all of this or some combination of the right charger and cables to make this work. And it has to be available in the UK, preferably on Amazon Prime.

Any ideas?

(And before we get the obvious reply: yes, already I use wireless charging when I'm at my desk, but I also want a simply neat solution for charging my tablets, guest phones, etc.)
The best I can think of is one of those crazy charging hubs and keep some cables nearby.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Lblitzer posted:

Anyone else use a Nokia wireless base and it causes your phone to get really hot? It's super convenient to use with my Droid Maxx but it doesn't charge that quickly and the phone gets very warm to the touch.

Yes, and I'm pretty user it's the sole cause of battery death in my Nexus 5 due to heat. Heat being megabad for battery lifespan.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The best I can think of is one of those crazy charging hubs and keep some cables nearby.
For some reason all the retractable USB cables I can find have horribly garish logos on them that look like trade show giveaways. Also considered braided cables but they are all ridiculous bright colours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

For some reason all the retractable USB cables I can find have horribly garish logos on them that look like trade show giveaways. Also considered braided cables but they are all ridiculous bright colours!

I've struggled with this whole idea in the past and gave up on it. I do use some USB charger hubs to good effect (I think they're Anker ones with 5 or 6 ports...I don't have it in front of me), but the retractable cables don't do much to clean up the mess because they just kind of dangle there and they only retract reliably for awhile before you've got to start messing with them to get them to retract.

There are different boxes and things you can get that you can store the whole mess in and only stick the end of the cables out. Kind of like this one that I don't really like the looks of but was the first result for a Google of "charging station".