Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Stringent posted:

where you can just start and stop as many times as you like without breaking your urethra?

iunno

Subjunctive posted:

edging? kegels? the drive to work?

Jonny 290 posted:

duke nukem forever

lolling forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Subjunctive posted:

it will help to purge your memory of all the good things in C++ like templates, and numb your syntactic-taste receptors

otherwise just pick up the frameworks and you're golden. Big Nerd Ranch book is good.

big nerd ranch made this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk1VWhToP5w

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I recognize 3 of the trainers we had on-site in that video! they were excellent, which is why I kept them for two years.

(it's pretty good as they go, I would say; better than all the AMD Fixer poo poo)

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So is easymotion (or ctrl ; ) a fad in the POS yet?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont like easymotion

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

then again all i use is pathogen, numbers.vim, supertab, vim-autoclose, and solarized

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you guys customize vim so much you should just bite the bullet and use emacs, an editor actually designed to be molested

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so are these command line text editors just a bunch of googling and memorizing every little thing until you know enough to get work done or...?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fleshweasel posted:

so are these command line text editors just a bunch of googling and memorizing every little thing until you know enough to get work done or...?

what do you think

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fleshweasel posted:

command-line text editors like sed?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fleshweasel posted:

yeah, it really does become muscle memory ish after a while.

i dont think about vi keys any more unless i'm like getting into macros and multi buffers

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Vim is not that complex, all in all. It's not intuitive, and modes have long lost the battle, but I still like them. I've written about my opinion on vim and why I find it usable in a post in the PL thread, and then transcribed it to http://ferd.ca/vim-and-composability.html

Basically, modes give you a few set of commands and shortcuts relative to movement, actions, and selections, and you can compose all of them in fancy ways. Then you have the edit mode that everyone knows how to use to insert text and poo poo.

I kind of see modes as a caps lock (which you toggle) whereas non modes ask you to hold 'shift' while you do your poo poo. So when text is selected, instead of going then ctrl + c to copy it, then ctrl + v to paste it, you get into the normal mode, and copy it (y) and paste it (p). This turns out to be far less stretching for my hands and made it possible to work long hours whereas regular keyboard shortcut would end up giving me tendonitis real fast.

So to answer, there isn't any more googling required than to learn common shortcuts you use in any editor or IDE, though you'll get to do that to learn the shortcuts whenever your IDE just has you browse a bunch of drop-down menus to go select whatever functionality you need, until you remember the keyboard shortcuts and stop going there.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
after getting used to vi&emacs for so long it really sucks using something without those keybindings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Flat Daddy posted:

after getting used to vi&emacs for so long it really sucks using something without those keybindings

theres a guy here that uses nano and i get mad whenever i ctrl-R for a file and he edited it last, i get thrown into this retarded shitfuck editor for literal golems

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Flat Daddy posted:

this is the main reason people use editors from the 80's, hth\

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you guys customize vim so much you should just bite the bullet and use emacs, an editor actually designed to be molested

yes, my four plugins, one of which amounts to theming, amounts to a lot of customization

my vimrc is a whopping 8 lines ish

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

yes, my four plugins, one of which amounts to theming, amounts to a lot of customization

my vimrc is a whopping 8 lines ish

yeah but the individual plugins are thousands of lines of ugly hacks

emacs is actually designed to have composable plugins installed/configured with minimum loving around. things are intended to work together, and they do.

it's pretty cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
btw i use vi literally every day, vi is a very nice editor. just not for my code-related stuff.

vim is the first brick in the road to emacs

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vim is the first brick in the road to emacs

I went notepad++ -> SciTE -> jed -> emacs -> tendonitis -> vim for my main editors. I don't think I'll go back to other stuff any time soon. Tried a few IDEs here and there, but I'm too sold on working on a terminal by now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah but the individual plugins are thousands of lines of ugly hacks

So's Word or Pages or SublimeText, you just don't get to see that code.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
funny
i went from sciTE -> n++ -> vim -> sublime as my main editor
Although vim was only a 9 month stint when the only way to easily access anything was via terminal.

maybe I'll go back to vim when I get a crippling hand bug, but for now, sublime basically does everything including not needing to take hand off keyboard.

you can alter ST plugin code all you want to sate your autism, really

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

So's Word or Pages or SublimeText, you just don't get to see that code.

well i don't endorse sublime text either

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

I learned vim because modal editing is actually amazing and the less stress I put on my wrists the better

then I started writing clojure, so I picked up emacs and discovered evil, a near-flawless vim key binding package

I'm kind of in love

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

funny
i went from sciTE -> n++ -> vim -> sublime as my main editor
Although vim was only a 9 month stint when the only way to easily access anything was via terminal.

maybe I'll go back to vim when I get a crippling hand bug, but for now, sublime basically does everything including not needing to take hand off keyboard.

you can alter ST plugin code all you want to sate your autism, really

sublime is basically emacs lite. it's a handful of really great emacs features, combined with the fun proviso that it's a one-man for-profit project that will be abandoned any minute now*. just like every other one-man "programmer's editor" (bbedit, textmate, etc etc)

(gnu emacs itself exists because the original one-man for-profit editor, gosmacs, was abandoned by its author and sold to a much greedier firm who changed the license terms. rms started his own project with a Really Free license and the rest is cheeto-stained, grey-bearded history)

* arguably sublime text has already been abandoned, because the pace of releases has slowed to nothing. but i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt here

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 5, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dessert Rose posted:

I learned vim because modal editing is actually amazing and the less stress I put on my wrists the better
ironically the original vi was modeless

Dessert Rose posted:

then I started writing clojure, so I picked up emacs and discovered evil, a near-flawless vim key binding package

evil-mode is amazing and way better than the older vi-compatibility modes

and since emacs was designed for this kind of poo poo, evil-mode plays well with others and works with all your other emacs plugins.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sublime is basically emacs lite. it's a handful of really great emacs features, combined with the fun proviso that it's a one-man for-profit project that will be abandoned any minute now*. just like every other one-man "programmer's editor" (bbedit, textmate, etc etc)

(gnu emacs itself exists because the original one-man for-profit editor, gosmacs, was abandoned by its author and sold to a much greedier firm who changed the license terms. rms started his own project with a Really Free license and the rest is cheeto-stained, grey-bearded history)

* arguably sublime text has already been abandoned, because the pace of releases has slowed to nothing. but i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt here

BBedit has been around for 20 years and there's always successors following a similar paradigm. textmate -> sublime.

A tool that's well designed is worth having to switch to a new, probably better functioning better designed one, every 5-10 years.

I guess if you literally cannot handle change, you can stick to vim/emacs and keep your 50mb config folder everywhere

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ironically the original vi was modeless

evil-mode is amazing and way better than the older vi-compatibility modes

and since emacs was designed for this kind of poo poo, evil-mode plays well with others and works with all your other emacs plugins.

yeah I really like that there is a native programming environment that I can just eval crap into and then eventually write the code into init files

evil mode is fantastic, and the few places I don't want to use it or want to change how it works, it's trivial to write code to do that

vim feels like you have to learn some special idiosyncratic language to customize it, it doesn't even seem to want to be customized. emacs is just lisp

I used to use the closed-source-editor-of-the-week but text mate burned me too much so now I'm happy to use emacs even if I do have to write some of the editor myself

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The ST guy started pushing updates for 3 but I'm calling bullshit and assuming he's gonna "work hard" through about the end of Feb/March and go silent again. It'll buy him another 12-16 months of not having to do poo poo with no one getting mad.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

A tool that's well designed is worth having to switch to a new, probably better functioning better designed one, every 5-10 years.

the problem is that they're never better. they're just another subset of emacs. and i will be forced to learn each re-invention of each wheel every few years when whatever one-man bullshit fad is replaced with the next.

meanwhile gnu emacs and vim keep cranking along

you're better off to invest the tiny bit of additional effort now, and keep the same tool the rest of your career

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only things that are meaningfully better than emacs are full-fledged IDEs. i can actually see reasons to invest time/effort in vs.net or eclipse or intellij. i, personally, haven't gone that direction, but i understand the temptation. those tools have refactoring plugins and AST engines that exceed emacs capabilities.

the same is not true for the fad editor of the week. invariably it's just another programmer's editor, with basic navigation, completion, snippets

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
emacs still sucks lmao look at you nerds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you type all those words with emacs?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

you type all those words with emacs?

there's no good way to browse the forums with emacs. although now i am considering it

there used to be pretty good emacs plugins for editing wikimedia and confluence. idk about the current state of the art

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

I went notepad++ -> SciTE -> jed -> emacs -> tendonitis -> vim for my main editors. I don't think I'll go back to other stuff any time soon. Tried a few IDEs here and there, but I'm too sold on working on a terminal by now.

Ur supposed to be working on your code, not working on your terminal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
my secret shame is that i still rely upon a standalone terminal like a vim-usin' scrub

i never got down with the emacs mode for the unix command line for some reason

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

MeruFM posted:

please, tell me what sublime actually added over textmate, and what either one of them actually added over emacs or vim

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

i mean jfc it's editing text, once you have a window in which to edit the text and some kind of language in which to customize the behavior of said window what the gently caress else can you even add

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dessert Rose posted:

please, tell me what [...] what either one of them actually added over emacs

not a god drat thing

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not a god drat thing

i mean, i guess the gui is a little prettier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I would probably use emacs if there was a way to make scrolling with the mouse wheel not poo poo

Is there a way to make scrolling with the mouse wheel not poo poo?

• Locked thread