Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
not all of my gambles work

:regd10:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I said attach, drat you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GLUU is up 21% today on the announcement of a Katy Perry mobile game: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-05/glu-mobile-advances-21-on-katy-perry-partnership-announcement

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

pr0k posted:

I said attach, drat you

time to straddle maybe

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

District Selectman posted:

f you think investing in a company that seems to be undervalued is the same thing a buying options in enormously traded tech stocks because "it feels like they'll beat earnings", have at it, follow your heart, I believe.
People like me were loading up on AAPL and singing its praises when it was $400 and valued at a <8 EV/EBIT, iirc it was in the cheapest 5% of the market on that valuation metric (seriously.) It was transparently oversold, probably easiest trade we'll ever see.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

neonbregna posted:

Since you can't buy csiq on robinhood what does the hive mind recommend for solar stocks to gamble on over the next few weeks

Edit another con about robinhood I am noticing is that it takes forever for them to settle funds. Today will be the fifth business day. You get what you pay for I suppose

I'm also long in TSL, another good Chinese company. Will probably pick up some SUNE at some point too.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AMD on its way back towards that beautiful $4 sell.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

nebby posted:

People like me were loading up on AAPL and singing its praises when it was $400 and valued at a <8 EV/EBIT, iirc it was in the cheapest 5% of the market on that valuation metric (seriously.) It was transparently oversold, probably easiest trade we'll ever see.

I could not agree more. Possibly the slam dunk trade of the decade.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
For some reason GM is up 13% over the last couple months so I am taking my profits and running. My boring dividend stocks should not be so volatile. Will buy again if price crashes like an ignition switch failure.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Nephzinho posted:

AMD on its way back towards that beautiful $4 sell.

My father-in-law was trying to convince me to buy AMD around $4 and I kept resisting, and saying he probably shouldn't hold onto it, either. I was vindicated once it dropped so far, and then bought a bunch at ~$2.65 admittedly partially to spite him.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm staying put with my stuff for now, too.

I didn't maintain this policy for long. I cashed out today and am now a little bit less poor. :feelsgood:

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Gpro kills it, but trading is halted. ATVI nails their earnings and tanks 8%.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Noah posted:

Gpro kills it, but trading is halted. ATVI nails their earnings and tanks 8%.

I'm guessing it's ATVIs Q1 forecast that hurt them so much. Ugh.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ATVI's still beating the S&P YTD though, they got bid up crazy high.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elephanthead posted:

For some reason GM is up 13% over the last couple months so I am taking my profits and running. My boring dividend stocks should not be so volatile. Will buy again if price crashes like an ignition switch failure.

Don't mistake an undervalued stock going up for volatility. GM has a beta of 1, which means its about as volatile as the S&P 500 as a whole.

We've also had plenty of new information in the past couple of months which bolsters the case that the company is undervalued.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Oh whoops forgot I was holding AMD.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been holding 20 shares of AMD since I bought them.

For $35.80 a share. On January 20, 2006.

They sit in my portfolio as an object lesson and reminder about not buying stocks just because you like a company's products or because you made money on the stock before, not holding a loser past a certain point, and and not gambling with real money when you have no idea what you're doing.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/amd/after-hours#ixzz3QufE7uEi
AMD
After Hours Time (ET) After Hours Price After Hours Share Volume
17:30 $ 3.29 20
17:25 $ 3.30 390
17:25 $ 3.30 300
17:25 $ 3.30 310
17:20 $ 3.29 500
17:20 $ 2.85 Low 8,400
17:20 $ 3.2999 100
17:20 $ 3.30 100

I may be a total retard but what happened here in After Hours trading? Was someone just trying to dump 8,400 shares at whatever price they could get rid of them, and some lucky bastard scooped them up at a 13% discount? Or is it something more obvious or more nebulous?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
GoPro, what a dumpster fire. Stock twits meltdown is hilarious.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Woof on GPRO.

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe
Can anyone explain the 1$ gain on amd this week, and why it will no doubt plummet since I have positions in it? The new CEO looks pretty decent, but I really don't understand why it's going up.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fruition posted:

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/amd/after-hours#ixzz3QufE7uEi
AMD
After Hours Time (ET) After Hours Price After Hours Share Volume
17:30 $ 3.29 20
17:25 $ 3.30 390
17:25 $ 3.30 300
17:25 $ 3.30 310
17:20 $ 3.29 500
17:20 $ 2.85 Low 8,400
17:20 $ 3.2999 100
17:20 $ 3.30 100

I may be a total retard but what happened here in After Hours trading? Was someone just trying to dump 8,400 shares at whatever price they could get rid of them, and some lucky bastard scooped them up at a 13% discount? Or is it something more obvious or more nebulous?

"$2.85 low" looks like they just dumped 8400 shares and filled every single bid between $3.29 and $2.85. It certainly wasn't just one sale. Off-hours trading has pretty low liquidity.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, looks like my ATVI calls are trash now.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Arkane posted:

Don't mistake an undervalued stock going up for volatility. GM has a beta of 1, which means its about as volatile as the S&P 500 as a whole.

We've also had plenty of new information in the past couple of months which bolsters the case that the company is undervalued.

I have gm 5yr beta with a monthly frequency at 1.69 and 1.40 in weekly, as measured against sp500.

How are you calculating at 1? I'm getting about to 1 after adjusting and unlevering, so I am a little shocked to see a calculation for the equity beta being 1.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I opened a robinhood account and all of it is so disarmingly simple that it makes me feel like I'll be on an episode of American greed in 10 years talking about the brokerage startup that took everyones money, showed them a fake account in a dead simple iphone app, and ran off with the funds.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
What's the deal with this Robinhood stuff? :corsair:

I use TDAmeritrade and have never noticed any kind of outrageous brokerage fees. Then again, I only make a handful of stock trades a year.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
BLL continues to make me a significant amount of money.

:cool:

Apollo_Creed
Aug 4, 2002

I am the Master of Disaster.
Quarterly check in with Tableau's (DATA) numbers...
Blowing the estimates away? Check.
Guiding higher? Check.
Incredibly positive conference call? Check.
Huge stock price jump? Check.

Now for the slow reversal over the next couple months until the next earnings call where they blow out again.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mike- posted:

I have gm 5yr beta with a monthly frequency at 1.69 and 1.40 in weekly, as measured against sp500.

How are you calculating at 1? I'm getting about to 1 after adjusting and unlevering, so I am a little shocked to see a calculation for the equity beta being 1.

Yahoo Finance says .97...not sure if they're using a different time-frame.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Probably a really dumb question, but what would be the easiest, laziest, most boring way to "go long" on an entire country like India or South Africa?

Can it be as simple as buying EZA or something similar?

Do they make sector-and-country-specific funds/ETFs that would be available in a normal old Schwab account, like an Indian REIT and a South African financial ETF? If so, what's the best way to find and compare them?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's as simple as buying a country ETF. Check the fees though, they tend to be high with niche ETFs.

To my surprise there is indeed a South African Financial ETF but it trades in whatever moon currency they're using in South Africa. You'd have to check with your broker to see if they allow you to trade it, and they'll probably hit you hard with fees. I know Tradeking charges something like $50 each way for certain foreign tickers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/RAFFIN:SJ

It looks like Indian REITs are due in 2016 (Source: google.com)

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
What brokerage do people use? I've been using Fidelity for a while because that's where my taxable retirement stuff is and it just sort of evolved from there. Individually the commissions weren't killing my gains as it's been higher dollar stuff, but looking at over $200 of commissions for Q4 2014 and 2015 so far.

Initial research seems to point to IB.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I started with Zecco which has since merged with TradeKing. $4.95/trade is cheap enough for me. I also have a Roth IRA with Vanguard but haven't contributed for a few years once I opened a Roth with TK.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

$4.95/trade is cheap enough for me.

I don't understand this attitude.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DNova posted:

That was originally how I felt about the $8 Fidelity fee when I was making a trade or two a quarter, but gently caress that poo poo now.

What do you use?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

LLCoolJD posted:

What's the deal with this Robinhood stuff? :corsair:

I use TDAmeritrade and have never noticed any kind of outrageous brokerage fees. Then again, I only make a handful of stock trades a year.

TDAmeritrade master race checking in...although I've had it since the account was with Datek and I'm simply too lazy to mess with it.

outrageous fees?

my old man is still paying his loving broker $300 a trade for doing nothing

he's of the generation that thinks the idiots on Wall St. are WIZARDS who know secret money magic far beyond addition and subtraction

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

That was originally how I felt about the $8 Fidelity fee when I was making a trade or two a quarter, but gently caress that poo poo now.

What do you use?

IB

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
In my real money retirement account I just want to report that I piled into AMZN last april and october on the dips and I could not be happier about it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DNova posted:

I don't usually meet the $10/mo minimum required on IB so it works out to be cheaper for me to go with TK. Lately it's been close though. I'll probably switch to IB eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I tend to assume that people in this thread are making more than 2 trades a month.