Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cat Hatter posted:

I prefer to think that everyone is just too dumb to go eat in the holodeck with its infinite power supply. You can stretch those replicator rations pretty far if you keep heading over to Fair Haven for Irish stew and Guinness.

Pfft, replicator rations were forgotten by season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

oddium posted:

The holodeck, like most Star Trek tech, is magic

Of course! In the animated series, they had the primitive 'recreation room'. Then they met Satan and traveled to the universe where magic was real! Obviously, they used that new knowledge to create the far more sophisticated 'holodeck' technology seen in TNG, which is based on demonic magic!

Star Trek makes so much sense when you remember the animated series!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is King Abdullah II the most successful star trek actor?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cojawfee posted:

So is King Abdullah II the most successful star trek actor?

Probably, at least as far as the whole temporal power thing goes. And you just know that dude has his Voyager uniform somewhere in a glass cabinet on display in a palace.

If I remember right, he had a big meeting thing or something with the showrunners and the cast after they were done filming his bit of the episode, and invited everyone out to visit him / party it up in Jordan. I think Ethan Philips was the only one who took him up on the offer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm rewatching DS9 for the first time (mostly) and last night I hit The Visitor. I think the last time I saw it I was 17 or 18, and though I enjoyed it at the time, I don't think the emotional beats really hit for me. But last night? Oh man. Last night, they hit. What a fantastic episode.

I really want DS9 on blu-ray. :sigh:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm rewatching DS9 for the first time (mostly) and last night I hit The Visitor. I think the last time I saw it I was 17 or 18, and though I enjoyed it at the time, I don't think the emotional beats really hit for me. But last night? Oh man. Last night, they hit. What a fantastic episode.

I said it before when I watched "The Visitor" and I'll say it again:

I cried like a bitch. No regrets.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been going through DS9 yet again on Netflix recently and really wish it was on blu-ray already. I would SUCK if Netflix ever takes DS9 off their streaming list.

Speaking of DS9, I recently found out Nana Visitor lives one block from my office in Manhattan and now every time I walk around here there's the thought in the back of my mind that Major Kira could be right around the corner at any moment! Hopefully I never actually bump into her since I imagine it would be incredibly awkward.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Apple Jax posted:

I've been going through DS9 yet again on Netflix recently and really wish it was on blu-ray already. I would SUCK if Netflix ever takes DS9 off their streaming list.

Speaking of DS9, I recently found out Nana Visitor lives one block from my office in Manhattan and now every time I walk around here there's the thought in the back of my mind that Major Kira could be right around the corner at any moment! Hopefully I never actually bump into her since I imagine it would be incredibly awkward.

As nerdy as I am, I can't possibly imagine doing anything in that situation but maybe smiling and saying "big fan" and then walking on. Show your appreciation but don't invade their privacy.

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

Netflix Reviewer posted:

I've been a Trekie all my life ! I grew up on the Original "Star Trek" , and the Animated serie's as a kid ! "Next Generation" was so Good , it almost made me feel guilty , like cheating on your diet or something like that ! But, "Deep Space Nine" , even though I loved the show , was nothing but a Rip-Off of "Babylon 5" , which I also love ! Then along come's "Voyager" ! And I'll admit that at first I was very reluctant about the show , because I , like many other Trekie's I know , thought that they just might go to far and ruin such a huge Universe that many people had fallen in love with ! But oh boy , they didn't ! This is the show that brought me back to the Alpha Quadrant , and I'll never stop watching !!! And , THANK YOU GENE FOR GIVING THE WORLD SUCH A BEAUTIFUL UNIVERSE TO PLAY IN , WE ALL MISS YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Surprise, Babylon 5 fans and Voyager fans are one and the same.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Ive always liked the whole DS9 vs Babylon5 poo poo because the reality is that two shows are really only vaguely similar with some overall themes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

Ive always liked the whole DS9 vs Babylon5 poo poo because the reality is that two shows are really only vaguely similar with some overall themes.

Nerds understand quantifiable, surface level-similarity, but don't understand actual content. For example, there are Trek shows were the show runners made the characters and music BORING ON PURPOSE, and these shows have a bunch of fans. Fans that were obviously oblivious to the fact that the "Good" parts of Trek were stories and not special effects and made up science. People who like Voyager is one thing, but there are people who like Janeway. I can only assume these people like Janeway because they also like coffee, coffee ice-cream, horses, dogs, and romance novels. They think "Janeway is just like me, so I like her."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I also never understand why some people get so evangelical about franchise wars. Is there some rule somewhere that says if I love DS9, I can't also love B5? Or if I love Star Trek, I can't also love Star Wars? It's not like enjoying a television show means that you exclusively enjoy only that show. I like lasers and spaceships and exploring real-world issues through science fiction allegory, I don't care if it calls itself Battlestar Galactica or Farscape or Star Trek or whatever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

You guys are misreading this. It's saying Voyager is crap and they went back to re-evaluate DS9, otherwise it wouldn't have brought them back to the Alpha Quadrant :colbert:

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Snak posted:

there are people who like Janeway

I like Janeway. She is an experienced mid-level administrator who is suddenly thrust into a role of near-supreme authority that brings her into conflict with an equally well-meaning but mutinous subordinate more interested in maintaining her newly isolated ship's military strength. That she's willing to rise to the occasion and champion the best parts of human nature in the face of savagery is a strength, even when it looks like a weakness.

It's just a shame that Kate Mulgrew never got to play that character. But Mary McDonnell did a pretty good job with it.

Ed. I realize that this reads like a lovely beardy post, but I genuinely did get maybe a third of the way into that before I realized "oh wait I'm just describing Laura Roslin." Might be sudafed.

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 5, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

I also never understand why some people get so evangelical about franchise wars. Is there some rule somewhere that says if I love DS9, I can't also love B5? Or if I love Star Trek, I can't also love Star Wars? It's not like enjoying a television show means that you exclusively enjoy only that show. I like lasers and spaceships and exploring real-world issues through science fiction allegory, I don't care if it calls itself Battlestar Galactica or Farscape or Star Trek or whatever.

Because, in a capitalist society, people are defined the by the things that they like. People who are "fans" are implicitly asserting that the thing the like is better than other things, and this belief is one of their defining traits. If they realize that Stargate is just just as good (it's way better) as Star Trek, they will be forced to re-evaluate their their opinions, and no one wants to do that. It's exactly the same thought process that bigots have in general, e.g. "immigrants are the problem, not systemic flaws in our society".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^^^ Liking one show more than another = exactly the same as being a bigot who wants the border closed.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Surprise, Babylon 5 fans and Voyager fans are one and the same.

I don't even know what is sarcasm and trolling and what is being said with a straight face anymore.

B5 is one of the best shows ever made. Voyager occasionally rises to the level of good and more often falls from mediocrity to hot garbage.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

e; ^^^ Liking one show more than another = exactly the same as being a bigot who wants the border closed.

Close-minded-ness is, in fact, the same as close-minded-ness.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mister Adequate posted:

That's not my point. My point is that you can dislike something without openly evangelizing to others about how your particular brand of sci-fi is better because reasons.

I'm not saying "you" specifically though, drat English and its ambiguity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't even know what is sarcasm and trolling and what is being said with a straight face anymore.
It's a joke. :ssh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Adequate posted:

B5 is one of the best shows ever made.

If you were going to compile a list of every show ever made and rank them, B5 wouldn't even be in the top loving fifty. Let's have some perspective, here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Timby posted:

If you were going to compile a list of every show ever made and rank them, B5 wouldn't even be in the top loving fifty. Let's have some perspective, here.

B5 is a mediocre show made stellar by a few really good actors/actors who fit their role really drat well and made the character their own (ironically not a single one of them human): Andreas Katsulas, Peter Jurasik, Mira Furlan, and Stephen Furst.

Edit: and I guess achieving what that show did on a shoestring budget is also really commendable.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Timby posted:

I'd grab you by the collar and throw you out the nearest airlock, but we can’t afford to take perfectly good clothing and throw it out into space!

I should strip you naked first, then I throw you out the airlock!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

68k posted:

Just watched "Preemptive Strike" for the first time. Ro is my favorite, and that was a bad rear end ending for her character.

Too bad she probably died when the Maquis were wiped out in Voyager!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tastychicken posted:

I'd grab you by the collar and throw you out the nearest airlock, but we can’t afford to take perfectly good clothing and throw it out into space!

I should strip you naked first, then I throw you out the airlock!

I think it would rank near the top of list of Science Fiction shows, but if we are talking TV series in general, yeah it's pretty bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kesper North posted:

Too bad she probably died when the Maquis were wiped out in Voyager!

I think you mean in DS9!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

That's not my point. My point is that you can dislike something without openly evangelizing to others about how your particular brand of sci-fi is better because reasons.

I'm not saying "you" specifically though, drat English and its ambiguity.

"You pressed 'you', indicating 'me'. That is incorrect. Only you can prevent forest fires."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"You pressed 'you', indicating 'me'. That is incorrect. Only you can prevent warp core breaches."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Timby posted:

Curious what this would even be. As far as I can tell, Sopranos and Breaking Bad are fighting for top spot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I tried to look on metacritic, but Babylon 5 was not rated by critics enough to even have a metascore. The two critics that did rate it would have given it an average of 54, which would put it, at highest, 1379th best season of television (metacritic tracks seperate ratings for each season of a show, no critics rated any season of B5 after the first). It would supplant "The Cape" if it was the top season with a score of 54. Voyager, Season 1 was rated 66, making it 879th best show. TNG was only rated 51, and no critics ever rated TOS.

Season 1 of Duck Dynasty would still be rated higher than it.

edit: If we go by user-score instead, it would be at highest the 1222nd best season of all time. That would put it ABOVE BOB'S BURGERS, but still below ever season of Voyager. Season 5 of Voyager would be in the top 100. But none of these dumb nerd shows are even on the list because no one cares about them. Like 10 people rated Voyager.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 6, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Has anyone ever had a tooth/gum/oral problem in any of the Star Trek series?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Doctor Butts posted:

A Cardassian removed one of O'Brien's molars when they imprisoned him.

Nog, Rom, and Worf had those teeth sharpening scenes in DS9.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

In Enterprise T'pol had a tooth issue as apparently the magic sealant everyone uses to protect their teeth came off.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

The recurring villains of voyager are Klingon oompa loompas

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Doctor Butts posted:

That's not the field of medicine I'd expect you'd be interested in, Doctor BUTTS

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

thousandcranes posted:

Kazon? More like Gayzon! :jerkbag:

(It's funny if you imagine a developmentally challenged Tom Paris saying it while spinning his plastic steering wheel on the bridge of Voyager while everyone recoils in embarrassment behind him).

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

Netflix Reviewer posted:

Loved Voyager, I thought it got better with every season. Easily the best series finale of any of the Treks

Jesus Christ.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SouthLAnd posted:

imagine a developmentally challenged Tom Paris

So, Tom Paris.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

"Tommy, you're the most talented pilot we have, please take the helm".

Computer, divert helm control to auxiliary station until further notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

thousandcranes posted:

You know, one thing that I do kind of like about Voyager is that they did kind of delineate the space that they were travelling through by introducing different recurring enemies.

Starts off with the Kazon, eventually moves through Borg space, then the Hirogen, then the Hierarchy... they didn't all necessarily live up to their potential, as is Voyager's ongoing flaw, but I did like that they tried something along those lines.

• Locked thread