Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

It's not. My point is that you can look at a boxscore and see the output but I'd like to see how the output is created. It give you a better picture of how the player is achieving it. I really don't want to watch the Heat and I had a theory so I asked for confirmation. "WHO CARES?"

The implication seemed to be that if he was getting them because he has a physical advantage it was somehow less valuable or invalid, which I didn't get, since that's a big part of being good at basketball or sports in general.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

thompson posted:

That guy has had his reign. Time for some new faces. I remember the first time I was watching that guy play. I discredited him and wondered who the gently caress he was. Well...I was wrong. He ended up being the biggest celebrity game boss ever.

Bro let me tell you about Brian McKnight

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Bro let me tell you about Brian McKnight

2005 Celeb Game MVP Brian McKnight? I recall some bs circus shot he hit to win that game.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BIZORT posted:

It's not. My point is that you can look at a boxscore and see the output but I'd like to see how the output is created. It give you a better picture of how the player is achieving it. I really don't want to watch the Heat and I had a theory so I asked for confirmation. "WHO CARES?"

He's pretty sure handed. When the ball touches his palm or fingertips he usually pulls it down.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

The implication seemed to be that if he was getting them because he has a physical advantage it was somehow less valuable, which I didn't get, since that's a big part of being good at basketball or sports in general.

I wanted confirmation of my bias before blurting out that I think the current trend of smaller starting frontcourts is boosting/inflating the value of the legit 7 footers out there that can even somewhat play competently at the professional level. Whiteside seems like the best case to piggyback off of. There are a lot of Whiteside posts recently so I thought someone else would know more than me.

Anyway, is Whiteside legit good at getting position or is he just larger than a good portion of these east guys he's getting matched up with? I saw a highlight of his the other day where he basically just reached over another big and plucked the ball away from him for the rebound, spun around and dunked it. The whole thing was very awkward yet effective, which seems to be the overall theme to Whiteside whenever I do see him

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wow, didnt watch last nights game... but Demar got ejected for a flagarent? Talk about things I'd never expect to hear about DD.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wow, didnt watch last nights game... but Demar got ejected for a flagarent? Talk about things I'd never expect to hear about DD.

Looks way worse on replay. He probably got ejected simply because of how late in the game/ out of reach it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDyF64BSjMU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

BIZORT posted:

Admittedly I haven't watched much of the Knicks but any coach who just walks into a job and makes the roster work into his own dumb system rather than working with the talent he's been given is a moron, especially when it's Fisher, who has been given the benefit of the doubt as a head coach since like 5 years ago for some reason

Look, I know you're not good at X but god damnit, I told Phil that I'd do X so you're going to do it

I mean, my first reaction to his hire was to check if the Knicks had their draft pick and pump my fist a lil--he really was set up to lose. I ain't got high hopes or nothing but I'm not going to call Brad Stevens a bad coach yet.

Fisher was one of my least favorite players with his butt-out defense crouch, but amongst the dudes dropping balls and missing open shots and getting jumped over this season I have seen several inbounds plays work exactly as they were drawn up. Which is not always what the Knicks have looked like in the last few years.

I'd also add that forcing a system onto a team is a slightly less dumb idea when your boss who put you in place to implement that system intends to acquire players who can play within that system. I've heard somebody say that the triangle is a dumb system because it requires a transcendent midrange player, which is kinda their only real asset right now as long as Carmelo doesn't permanently injure his legs in the next few months. He needs to sit down after the all-star break. I wonder who we're going to trade our #4 draft pick for.

Thank you this has been Why I Am Yet Uncertain Whether Or Not Derek Fisher Is A Bad Coach

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

thompson posted:

Celebrity game field for anyone who's interested.

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/as.cel...&adbpr=25319414

Anthony Anderson's gonna be great to watch, Chris Mullin is going to nail some threes and I really hope the paralympian dunks on someone. Also the bollywood dude will have some wicked celebrations. This is a pretty good lineup.

e: Also it's NY, they might get some big name late additions. Snoop Dog was a late addition the game last year.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 5, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BIZORT posted:

To answer your question, he's tall, has long arms, has a helluva motor, and is being given the green light to crash offensive glass as much as he wants. The last bit will inflate his numbers somewhat at the expense of transition D, the Heat's defense is really really bad. Still, if your pushing 10 offensive rebounds a game you are usually ok giving up some points in transition.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morestuff posted:

Woj reporting that Jacques Vaughn is about to get fired "imminently", but it feels like he's been saying that for weeks.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago

The Orlando Magic fired coach Jacque Vaughn, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The rebuilding team committed to playing Willie Green. Good riddance

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago

The Orlando Magic fired coach Jacque Vaughn, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

I don't really see anyone on the staff that's an interim candidate, either. Unseld maybe?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

MourningView posted:

If he's getting lots of rebounds either way does it really matter? A rebound is a rebound, you don't get a bonus possession or something for getting one if you're short.

A dunk is only worth 2 points.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't really see anyone on the staff that's an interim candidate, either. Unseld maybe?

Woj says James Borrego as interim, with Scott Skiles lurnking in the wings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My point wrt per 36 for rim protectors is that staying in the floor is a skill when you are being aggressive on defense.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

Woj says James Borrego as interim, with Scott Skiles lurnking in the wings

He seems to be the more knowledgeable of the assistants. It's a good choice.

Keep Scott Skiles the gently caress away. The only time the team has had sustained success is when they decided to run, which, surprise!, utilized a lot of their offensive talent since they're all young guys. Vaughn insisted on weird rotations, trying to run a halfcourt system, and way too many isos. I think Tobias Harris kind of kills their offense, too. You give the ball to him and it turns into an iso fest

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Cuban @ Curry last night.

https://vine.co/v/OFwgJmJBMA9

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

A dunk is only worth 2 points.

yeah but it looks really cool

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

MourningView posted:

yeah but it looks really cool

I think it's still the best EV in basketball right? I don't know these days with the adoption of the 3, but expected value of a dunk should still be higher than anything else on the basketball court.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

thompson posted:

I think it's still the best EV in basketball right? I don't know these days with the adoption of the 3, but expected value of a dunk should still be higher than anything else on the basketball court.

Yeah it's dunk/layup, free throw, corner three, I think.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

thompson posted:

Celebrity game field for anyone who's interested.

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/as.cel...&adbpr=25319414

Arne Duncan is probably banned from the Celebrity game now for being too good. He'll go down as the greatest celebrity (?) baller ever.

Looking forward to seeing Mo'ne Davis clown on some fools.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bring back Donald Faison

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
What's Dean Cain up to these days? What about the guys from Boyz II Men? Someone's gotta call Michael Rappaport immediately.

Need to get all of the hall of fame level players from Rock n Jock and then just make the Celebrity Game Rock n Jock rules.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

This was payback for kicking Scott out of the NCAA Tourney his senior year

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

net work error posted:

Arne Duncan is probably banned from the Celebrity game now for being too good. He'll go down as the greatest celebrity (?) baller ever.

Looking forward to seeing Mo'ne Davis clown on some fools.

I have Mo'ne as early favorite for MVP. Might have to put a little bit of cheddar on that.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Watching Bulls/Rockets from last night and it's Derrick Rose 12th game in a row...his longest stretch playing since 2011 :psyduck:

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I'm sure giving Scott Skiles a group of young, raw athletes who require patience and a few losing seasons before developing into a cohesive unit won't backfire at all, no sir.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

I keep watching this over and over again. It's crazy how he slides his right foot and it looks like the start of an ankle sprain but nope, stepback

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
James Harden

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I wonder if when he is out of office, Obama will be invited to play in the celebrity game?

Also, when someone accidentally hard fouls him, will his secret service detail run on to the court?

Also, how good is Obama as a basketball player? He played for a very good high school team, so I imagine he could have been on a Division III college team, or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Traveling

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rockets cancelled Patrick Beverley bobblehead night :tinfoil:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

glowing-fish posted:

I wonder if when he is out of office, Obama will be invited to play in the celebrity game?

Also, when someone accidentally hard fouls him, will his secret service detail run on to the court?

Also, how good is Obama as a basketball player? He played for a very good high school team, so I imagine he could have been on a Division III college team, or something.

For a POTUS he's supposedly really good. Apparently him and Arne Duncan play pickup all the time.

Also ex-presidents no-longer get lifetime Secret Service protection so you'd probably have some overzealous state trooper rushing to his aid instead.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Anthony Davis blocks heat-map:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Kibner posted:

Anthony Davis blocks heat-map:

That's pretty cool, I've never seen one of those. I wish Terrence Jones had played more this season because he seems to have a knack for blocking jumpshots.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

For a POTUS he's supposedly really good. Apparently him and Arne Duncan play pickup all the time.

Also ex-presidents no-longer get lifetime Secret Service protection so you'd probably have some overzealous state trooper rushing to his aid instead.

He's a lefty with a nice little floater in the key and has a tendency to pull up for jumpers from 15-18 feet. Supposedly plays a little dirty too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone please violently dunk on the arcade fire dude

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Someone please violently dunk on the arcade fire dude

Tina Charles is on it.

I would like to see the field opened up to NBA coaches, there's enough who can still ball and it would be pretty cool to see Kidd out there again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

glowing-fish posted:

I'd like to imagine everyone that plays in Obama's games in DC are as good as Arne Duncan.

• Locked thread