Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Oh my god, I want to do this so bad.. http://kotaku.com/the-closest-youll-get-to-dragon-ball-attacks-in-real-li-1683920944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Onmi posted:

I know but it's blatantly annoying because one of the good things about King Piccolo was being unique for Dragon Ball. the first death of a major protagonist, the previously unbeaten Roshi is killed, the Dragon is killed, arachy rules, Goku has been beaten to a pulp twice and Tenshinhan seems to be the only hero left, and he's willing to die to end the threat.

It works because the rest of Dragon Ball happened the way it happened. The fact that the Saiyan (To the least extent, it has its own problems though), Frieza, Cell and Buu arcs all repeat the same plot points over and over again is just. It gets to the point when "The dragonballs don't work anymore and EVERYONE IS DEAD" isn't even grounds for caring because the last 4 arcs have shown us that no matter what loss, the Dragon Balls will come back, They introduce "You can't be wished back if you've been brought back once." and then immediatly find a way around it.

Again, when it comes to characters I like Z more than vanilla, because more characters grow AS characters in Z. It's just they're all rendered useless by Goku which wasn't any different from normal but back then they didn't get development so who cared?

But in terms of story I don't really like Z.

I thought DBZ's goofy storytelling was pretty well summarised by TFS in Bardock's dying moments. Everything up until the Frieza saga built up neatly off each other to the final confrontation between Goku and Frieza, afterwards it felt like it was just trying to repeat the same conflict without laying any of the groundwork which made the buildup feel so epic

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

That's part of the reason I'm a big Android/Cell Saga fan. The whole arc felt like there was so much more at stake. It wasn't off on some distant planet, they weren't trying to revive anyone, they were trying to defend their planet from their past encounters with the Red Ribbon Army coming back to haunt them, and through Trunks, they KNEW what the price of failure was. The Dragon Balls didn't even factor.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Bulma and Roshi's Revival of F redesign. There is a little tease that says, "These two will be participating in battle".

Also, confirmed in Xenoverse, you can buy other character's fighting style. So you could be a Saiyan, with Mr. Satan as your master and his special attacks, but have goofy posing attack strings like Recoome.

In other weird news, Saikyo Jump put out this "Dragonball SD" thing, a weird retelling of DB, and there was this filler chapter where Raditz and Vegeta crash in Dragonball timeline and meet kid Goku, and then some kind of way bump their heads and get amnesia and forget the whole thing. Even though Goku has a tail, Vegeta just assumes he's a human, and then they all train their tails together in weird panels and part ways. Saikyo Jump is hinting that it's the start of a new arc...

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 5, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Onmi posted:

This was an editor call, while the Buu one was less hands on then previous ones, he convinced Toriyama that Goku would be better served as the protagonist.

That's interesting, considering there's an interview with Toriyama where he explicitly says he decided Gohan didn't fit as the protag.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I *think* there is talk of Androids being a DLC thing but that might have been snuffed out.

If that does happen, I wonder if they'll let you make a Cell looking guy like in Dragon Ball Heroes:

projecthalaxy posted:

Dude Human, lady Human, dude Saiyan, lady Saiyan, dude Majin, lady Majin, Namek, Frieza. Perfect number of slots.

I'm totally going to make a lady Majin named Mary Buu who is perfect and all the other characters love but tragically cannot be with because they are mortal and she is a pink blob.

Firstborn posted:

In other weird news, Saikyo Jump put out this "Dragonball SD" thing, a weird retelling of DB, and there was this filler chapter where Raditz and Vegeta crash in Dragonball timeline and meet kid Goku, and then some kind of way bump their heads and get amnesia and forget the whole thing. Even though Goku has a tail, Vegeta just assumes he's a human, and then they all train their tails together in weird panels and part ways. Saikyo Jump is hinting that it's the start of a new arc...

Raditz and Goku are finally getting some family bonding time after all these years. :unsmith:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought DBZ's goofy storytelling was pretty well summarised by TFS in Bardock's dying moments. Everything up until the Frieza saga built up neatly off each other to the final confrontation between Goku and Frieza, afterwards it felt like it was just trying to repeat the same conflict without laying any of the groundwork which made the buildup feel so epic

Neither Buu nor Cell/android arcs were really about repeating Freeza, and were instead about summarizing the series to that point (which is why both villains highlight different things in the series). Freeza was a really unique arc that were all about the heroes trying to overcome impossible odds, while Buu and Cell were more about the villains trying to overcome the impossible heroes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darko posted:

Neither Buu nor Cell/android arcs were really about repeating Freeza, and were instead about summarizing the series to that point (which is why both villains highlight different things in the series). Freeza was a really unique arc that were all about the heroes trying to overcome impossible odds, while Buu and Cell were more about the villains trying to overcome the impossible heroes.

I could see that a bit with Cell but wasn't Majin Buu usually dominating until someone came up with a new gimmick which worked for five minutes before he absorbed them and dominated again? Anyways, I saw the the prolonged oneupmanships between the heroes and villains of the later arcs as a result of the lack of wider plot or scenario building, Cell had some through the reintroduction of the Red Ribbon army and the other androids but Majin Buu was practically just 'hi, this guy will be your new insurmountable opponent for the next sixty episodes, enjoy!'

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought some of the most compelling stuff in the series was the early Android 17/18 episodes where the heroes were completely outgunned, their big trump card (transforming to SSJ was no longer good enough, they had nothing to do but run and hide.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

One thing I thought helped the Frieza arc a whole lot was the fact that he had an army at his disposal, it gave the other characters someone to do other that get beat up by the big bad and let them build up Frieza as a threat without just having him beat everyone up. Hell, Frieza didn't even really fight until the very end of his arc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rhonne posted:

One thing I thought helped the Frieza arc a whole lot was the fact that he had an army at his disposal, it gave the other characters someone to do other that get beat up by the big bad and let them build up Frieza as a threat without just having him beat everyone up. Hell, Frieza didn't even really fight until the very end of his arc.
They sort of tried to do that with Majin Buu, but then Buu just killed all of Babidi's lackeys and welp.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I wish there were more instances of the others getting their time to shine. They show up for everything and get to do nothing.. well, except react.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Yeah that's kinda what I meant, the first third of DBZ had the heroes going higher and higher up the food chain of an evil galactic empire, it gave the opportunity for loads more characters to turn up and have a greater diversity of fights and Frieza was just the final antagonist of his saga rather than the overwhelming focus of it (though the foreshadowing and buildup he got was great for building the hype). The Cell and especially the Majin Buu sagas seemed more interested in rushing off to the ultimate super-opponent part much more quickly

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is the Buu arc getting the DBZ Kai treatment? I've only seen a few episodes of it when it was on television, and I finished watching the rest of the series (DB+Kai) for the first time in December.
Also I have pre-ordered Xenoverse. God help me.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah that's kinda what I meant, the first third of DBZ had the heroes going higher and higher up the food chain of an evil galactic empire, it gave the opportunity for loads more characters to turn up and have a greater diversity of fights and Frieza was just the final antagonist of his saga rather than the overwhelming focus of it (though the foreshadowing and buildup he got was great for building the hype). The Cell and especially the Majin Buu sagas seemed more interested in rushing off to the ultimate super-opponent part much more quickly

To be fair, Cell didn't just appear ex nihilo. He was a logical followup to 17 and 18, which followed out of 19 and 20. There was still a build up.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rhonne posted:

When are we going to get the Raditz movie!?

I want Raditz to be revived but he has no hard feelings and just bros out with Goku and Vegeta and turns out to be a really nice Uncle because he doesnt run off like Goku.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

It turns out while Radditz was in Hell, he learned the true path to power and respect, and when revived he shows Goku the power of the Super Saiyan Mullet.

Edit: He also does the fusion dance with Nappa to gain his Mustache

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

To be fair, Cell didn't just appear ex nihilo. He was a logical followup to 17 and 18, which followed out of 19 and 20. There was still a build up.

Yeah I agree the Android/Cell sagas had some substance to them even if things played out more quickly, but they were still missing alot of the supporting cast which helped flesh out the story and provide battles for the weaker characters to actually have a chance in. The Saiyan/Frieza saga for instance had ten significant villains (Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta, Dodoria and Zarbon, the Ginyu Force and Frieza), the Android/Cell saga had five (Androids 19 and 20, Androids 17 and 18 and Cell) and the Buu saga had three (evil Vegeta, Dabura and Majin Buu) and Vegeta and Dabura barely got any screentime then before Majin Buu turned up

KoB posted:

I want Raditz to be revived but he has no hard feelings and just bros out with Goku and Vegeta and turns out to be a really nice Uncle because he doesnt run off like Goku.

This but Raditz still tries to be a bad guy but is comically outmatched by Yamcha because the power curve left him way, way behind

Raditz - impotent villain uncle

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Raditz and Cell are the only two villains that can say they killed Goku.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

YggiDee posted:

Is the Buu arc getting the DBZ Kai treatment? I've only seen a few episodes of it when it was on television, and I finished watching the rest of the series (DB+Kai) for the first time in December.
Also I have pre-ordered Xenoverse. God help me.

Yeah, it's airing in Japan right now. I dunno when it'll get localized but it seems pretty weird for them to not bother.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Technically, Piccolo did that first one.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Uhhh... Raditz can't. I mean he was involved in the killing sure, but thats like saying Raditz was involved in killing himself.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Caros posted:

Uhhh... Raditz can't. I mean he was involved in the killing sure, but thats like saying Raditz was involved in killing himself.

He brought it upon himself.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

This but Raditz still tries to be a bad guy but is comically outmatched by Yamcha because the power curve left him way, way behind

Raditz - impotent villain uncle

Raditz could join the Pilaf gang as their muscle and help them rob banks until the Great Saiyaman shows up to humiliate them every time. Then as they get tossed into the distance, they can do the old Team Rocket thing and say "Looks like Team Pilaf is blasting off again!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He brought it upon himself.

Every DBZ villian committed suicide by challenging Goku.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Cell and especially the Majin Buu sagas seemed more interested in rushing off to the ultimate super-opponent part much more quickly

And on the other hand one of the better traits of DBZ is that the pacing is lightning fast, and the fact it didn't try to give everyone a good fight is one of the main reasons for that. v:shobon:v

Like Bleach is a great example of the opposite, where everyone gets a chance to shine and thus poo poo drags on.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I could see that a bit with Cell but wasn't Majin Buu usually dominating until someone came up with a new gimmick which worked for five minutes before he absorbed them and dominated again? Anyways, I saw the the prolonged oneupmanships between the heroes and villains of the later arcs as a result of the lack of wider plot or scenario building, Cell had some through the reintroduction of the Red Ribbon army and the other androids but Majin Buu was practically just 'hi, this guy will be your new insurmountable opponent for the next sixty episodes, enjoy!'

Buu wasn't even the villain through most of his arc.

- The first part of the arc was Saiyaman/Tenkaichi Budokai
- Then Babadi and his minions show up and try to raise Buu. Goku/Vegeta/Gohan are more powerful than anyone around, and Buu only gets raised because they're all so cocky that no one takes anything seriously, and just have fun fighting
- Buu comes out and is, like barely more powerful than Cell, and doesn't really care about fighting. Babadi makes him fight and is clearly in control/the true villain. Then you learn that while he's not that powerful in itself, he has silly magic and can reform much better than Cell, which gives him the win over Vegeta's suicide
- Then Buu still doesn't care, and Babadi has him running around doing stuff. Goku shows that he's somewhere aorund par with Buu when he shows up, but decides Buu isn't really that bad and flies off to train Trunks/Goten. Meanwhile, Gohan is powering up to be more powerful than Goku (who is shown to be near par with Buu). Gotenks trains to be more powerful than Buu.
- Then Buu kills Babadi, and thanks to Satan, turns good for a while.

----------------------------------

- Then his bad side takes over, and he's finally the full villain of the arc. But, Gotenks is still pretty much on par with him, so even fight.
- Then Gohan is fully powered up and is way more powerful than him.
- Then you have a couple of back and forths. BS magical powerup, now Buu is the most powerful. Woops, he un-fuses inside, now he's not. Now he absorbs Gohan, now he is. Now Vegeto, now he isn't. Now everyone goes back to square one and it's semi even again with Goku.

The end is basically a bunch of even fights with heroes/villain jumping ahead of each other momentarily before evening out at the very end. The saga also ends with the WEAKEST version of Buu fighting (if you count the fact that fat Buu was basically just holding back the entire time because he wasn't mad). It's really an entirely unique saga that is almost an epilogue to the entire series.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, it's airing in Japan right now. I dunno when it'll get localized but it seems pretty weird for them to not bother.

Wait. Wasn't there a big outroar because it was coming out in English first? Like, how they only planned up to the Cell saga, but the feedback/success abroad made them continue and they were going to prioritize those regions?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darko posted:

Buu wasn't even the villain through most of his arc.

- The first part of the arc was Saiyaman/Tenkaichi Budokai
- Then Babadi and his minions show up and try to raise Buu. Goku/Vegeta/Gohan are more powerful than anyone around, and Buu only gets raised because they're all so cocky that no one takes anything seriously, and just have fun fighting
- Buu comes out and is, like barely more powerful than Cell, and doesn't really care about fighting. Babadi makes him fight and is clearly in control/the true villain. Then you learn that while he's not that powerful in itself, he has silly magic and can reform much better than Cell, which gives him the win over Vegeta's suicide
- Then Buu still doesn't care, and Babadi has him running around doing stuff. Goku shows that he's somewhere aorund par with Buu when he shows up, but decides Buu isn't really that bad and flies off to train Trunks/Goten. Meanwhile, Gohan is powering up to be more powerful than Goku (who is shown to be near par with Buu). Gotenks trains to be more powerful than Buu.
- Then Buu kills Babadi, and thanks to Satan, turns good for a while.

----------------------------------

- Then his bad side takes over, and he's finally the full villain of the arc. But, Gotenks is still pretty much on par with him, so even fight.
- Then Gohan is fully powered up and is way more powerful than him.
- Then you have a couple of back and forths. BS magical powerup, now Buu is the most powerful. Woops, he un-fuses inside, now he's not. Now he absorbs Gohan, now he is. Now Vegeto, now he isn't. Now everyone goes back to square one and it's semi even again with Goku.

The end is basically a bunch of even fights with heroes/villain jumping ahead of each other momentarily before evening out at the very end. The saga also ends with the WEAKEST version of Buu fighting (if you count the fact that fat Buu was basically just holding back the entire time because he wasn't mad). It's really an entirely unique saga that is almost an epilogue to the entire series.

Okay granted it's been like over a decade since I saw it and I haven't had a refresher from DBZA yet, but wasn't this part the majority of the saga?

I did like it ended with everyones bullshit getting chucked out though, I agree with you there

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

HGH posted:

Wait. Wasn't there a big outroar because it was coming out in English first? Like, how they only planned up to the Cell saga, but the feedback/success abroad made them continue and they were going to prioritize those regions?

Well, I don't think so, because they're already past Vegeta's suicide attack in Japan and I haven't seen any dubbed episodes.

e: Hell, I guess they're up to Gotenks now.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Okay granted it's been like over a decade since I saw it and I haven't had a refresher from DBZA yet, but wasn't this part the majority of the saga?

Two volumes out of six. So no.

For perspective, the entire Buu saga was volumes 36-42. 36-37 were the tournament, 38 the journey through Bobbidi's ship, 39 Fat Buu's rampage, 40 the shenanigans in the middle, and from 41 onwards is the part everyone remembers.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 5, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Two volumes out of six. So no.

For perspective, the entire Buu saga was volumes 36-42. 36-37 were the tournament, 38 the journey through Bobbidi's ship, 39 Fat Buu's rampage, 40 the shenanigans in the middle, and from 41 onwards is the part everyone remembers.

Alternatively, dubbed anime Buu Saga runs from episodes 185-276, "Buu Is Hatched" is episode 217, and Babidi dies in 231. Two thirds of the saga has Buu present, and nearly half has him as the only antagonist. I suspect that few here are remembering manga pacing over anime pacing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I loved the pre-Buu parts of the Buu Saga, like the continuing adventures of Son Gohan, Earth's Mightiest Schmuck, and Babidi's spaceship, where we meet Pui Pui and Yakon who get destroyed while the saiyans make air jerkoff motions.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BlitzBlast posted:

And on the other hand one of the better traits of DBZ is that the pacing is lightning fast

Hahaha what

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

He means of the characters. They frequently go so fast they vanish from sight!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, the manga is fairly speedy?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The pacing in the manga is actually really good. When Goku says he's gonna punch a guy, he punches the guy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

DBZ went through 10 major arcs (or 7, depending on how you split up DB and Androids/Cell) in 519 chapters. Compare that to literally any other long running shonen series and it's mindblowingly fast.

EDIT: Actually, I guess it'd be better to say it went through 10 major enemies (Pilaf, Red Ribbon Army, Grandpa Gohan, Tien, Piccolo/Piccolo Jr, Saiyans, Freeza, Androids, Cell, Buu, give or take Jackie Chun since you might just fold that in with Pilaf) rather than arcs.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 6, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
One Piece compares pretty favorably; even with a conservative definition of "arc," One Piece got through 12 and a half by chapter 519. With a looser definition, it's nearly 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

One Piece is about the same actually. East Blue (basically the equivalent of DB), Alabasta, Sky Island, Water 7, Thriller Bark, and I think it was on the setup for the big war at 519.

Note that DBZ finished at 519 though. :v:

Was definitely a little presumptive to say literally any shonen though, yeah.

• Locked thread