Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Rodyle posted:

Kingdom Hearts fill me

Oh. God. No. Why would you EVER say that after seeing THAT!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UraniumArc posted:

The Ultimate Keyblade
:nws:ish http://i.imgur.com/bX0N8nc.png
Kingdom Hards

Those are not belts nor zippers 0/10000

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Those are not belts nor zippers 0/10000

:stonk:
Nope.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Well, we know one entry that isn't winning the prize.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008

GMArcturus posted:

Well, we know one entry that isn't winning the prize.

...don't say that. People will vote for it if you say that. That image is just... no.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Don't worry about that because as author of the thread and also the person who will be purchasing the prize for the winner I reserve the right to disqualify any entry I deem inappropriate.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

GMArcturus posted:

Don't worry about that because as author of the thread and also the person who will be purchasing the prize for the winner I reserve the right to disqualify any entry I deem inappropriate.

And given Kingdom Hearts is, you know, for Kids!, that's not the best thing to associate. Then again...internet.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'd call it Fruedian symbolism made obvious.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 6, 2015

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
...here's a palate cleanser. http://imgur.com/jdLxUNo ...also, spoilers if you haven't seen the end of the Days "movie".

Nameless Fool fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 7, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
...that hurts to look at a little bit. Also, seeing as I own Days, I never watched the movie. But that game did make me feel pretty sad in the end. But only in the end.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Time for today's update! Also, don't forget that this Friday is the last day for first fanart contest!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 013 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Do You Need A Guardian?"

New Episode
Episode 013 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Do You Need A Guardian?"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Megara

This is Herc's love interest from the Disney movie. She plays a small role in how Herc ends up the way he does at the end of this world visit.
VA: Susan Egan

Auron

Looks like we are completing the FFX cast list now. We have already seen Tidus and Wakka and now we Auron too. As you would expect he is an incredibly badass party member.
VA: Matt McKenzie

Pain

One of Hade's personal lackeys. Along with Panic, he introduces the underworld tournaments when you decide to start competing in them.
VA: None

Panic

The other personal lackey of Hades. Along with Pain, he introduces the underworld tournaments when you decided to start competing in them.
VA: None

New Heartless

Rabid Dog

An annoying Heartless to be sure, but nothing we can't handle.
Reaction Command: None

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 9, 2015

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love that line of Auron's.

"I am the lord of the dead!"

"No wonder no one wants to die :smug:"

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Auron, the only character I liked from FFX. I can't help but think FFX would've been better if it was Auron as the Main Character with us following Braska's Pilgrimage.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Come to think of it, I never covered Beast's Limit, did I? Alright, let's do that as well as Auron's this time.

Beast's Limit is Twin Howl, equipped with the ability Howling Moon.

When you first use the Limit, Beast and Sora charge up a roar attack that hits everything around you. After that, your two interactive moves are Stalwart Fang and Outcry. Stalwary Fang, as your reaction command, is the move that involves Beast. He will slam the ground, creating damaging shockwaves. Meanwhile, Outcry replaces Attack, and Sora will do his own roaring attack, creating a burst of energy around him. While using this, he'll automatically charge towards enemies, allowing for you to hit them very easily!

The finisher of this Limit is Last Howl, which is basically a more powerful version of the Twin Howl opening. Beast and Sora charge up energy, and essentially hit everything around them with a powerful shockwave.

Auron's Limit is actually one of my favorites in the game. Not because of how it works, but because every part of it is a reference to his Overdrives in Final Fantasy X, one of my favorite RPGs. (Yes, yes, I'm aware of how many people claim it's bad.) Anyways, his Limit is Bushido, available through the ability Overdrive. (His Overdrive command in FFX was Bushido, so.)

The opening Bushido move is a simple attack where Sora and Auron spin back-to-back to create a damaging circle around them. The other two moves actually replace both Attack and your reaction command. The way it works is that you only get access to the reaction command, causing Auron to use Shooting Star. Then your attack command changes to Shooting Star, and while Auron is doing it Sora will be able to do his own. After Auron is done, the reaction command changes to Banishing Blade, and the pattern continues. Shooting Star is a spinning attack similar to the opener, and is based on the Shooting Star Overdrive from FFX, although it's very different. (There, it was a hit with the flat of the blade that could remove enemies from the battle.) Banishing Blade is actually a combination of two Overdrives. It takes its name from the Banishing Blade Overdrive, but functions like the Dragon Fang Ovedrive. Auron/Sora jump up into the air, slamming down near an enemy and creating pillars of fire.

After a bit of using those, the commands change to Spiral, Bushido's Finisher. Sora and Auron put their weapons together, spinning them, and then jump apart, creating a giant tornado that sucks up and damages enemies. This is based on Auron's final Overdrive, Tornado.

All in all, a good couple of Limits.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Man at arms just made Auron's Katana. EDIT: I can NOT figure out video links for the life of me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uk20D-RcXU

Silegna fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 9, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

BioEnchanted posted:

I love that line of Auron's.

"I am the lord of the dead!"

"No wonder no one wants to die :smug:"
No matter what game he's in, his coolness is loving impenetrable for its badassery.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

Auron, the only character I liked from FFX. I can't help but think FFX would've been better if it was Auron as the Main Character with us following Braska's Pilgrimage.

I have to say that I agree with that sentiment. Most of my ill feelings from FFX come from the fact that Yuna just isn't as likable to me as her father is. I also seriously doubt the story would have changed all that much if Square-Enix had gone that route.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

GMArcturus posted:

I have to say that I agree with that sentiment. Most of my ill feelings from FFX come from the fact that Yuna just isn't as likable to me as her father is. I also seriously doubt the story would have changed all that much if Square-Enix had gone that route.

Given it would still have the Pilgrimage, and no forced romance.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Silegna posted:

Given it would still have the Pilgrimage, and no forced romance.

Maybe they'll add that as a side story for the inevitable ultrahd-hd-re-release, since square seems to remake everything except the playstation final fantasies.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

pointlessone posted:

Maybe they'll add that as a side story for the inevitable ultrahd-hd-re-release, since square seems to remake everything except the playstation final fantasies.

I remember Dark ID's FFX LP (rip LP) going a bit into Braska's loving around with Auron and Jecht.
It was hilarious and should have been FFX.

In fact remove Noctis from XV and it might be just like that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if KH3 will introduce more Final Fantasy characters. Oh god I hope Lightning isn't one of them.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

You know it will happen.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looks like a new contender for the fanart contest.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I don't think that's a fanart render dudes, though any news on KH3 additions from Final Fantasy are incredibly sketchy at best so I'm not going to spread anything.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

I don't think that's a fanart render dudes, though any news on KH3 additions from Final Fantasy are incredibly sketchy at best so I'm not going to spread anything.

That lightning picture is from an april fools joke.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id be happy if she was relegated to just a struggle character.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The real Organization XIII is comprised of 13 different Lightnings.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Krad posted:

The real Organization XIII is comprised of 13 different Lightnings.

I can actually see that happening and Nomura just doing his best evil laugh. Then again, making Org 13 a group of 13 different Lightnings would give lots of people a reason to complete the game so they could beat the ever-loving poo poo out of her.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
As one who has not really played much of the FF series, what makes Lightning so bad? I mean the FFXIII games look boring as hell to play, so I doubt I'll see it firsthand

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Nameless Fool posted:

As one who has not really played much of the FF series, what makes Lightning so bad? I mean the FFXIII games look boring as hell to play, so I doubt I'll see it firsthand

The reason I don't like Lightning is because she just doesn't seem very likable to me. The games really don't give me a reason to be invested in her story other than here is a game now go complete it.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Nameless Fool posted:

The problem with Lightning is the problem with most of the characters in FFXIII, they have no character. Specifically they really have nothing in the form of character development. Probably the only likable character in the game is Sazh and maybe Fang though I didn't last long enough to see if she was a one note character or not. There probably wouldn't have been all this hate for Lightning if the story had simply ended at FFXIII (especially since after seeing the ending the story itself seemed to wrap up at least ok), but Toriyama basically saw everyone's lackluster attitude towards Lightning and went "You will learn to love my video game wife" and forced 2 sequels that made her essentially a living mcguffin, but still with no real character development.

It is also that people can see that she is clearly a female version of Cloud from FFVII just minus the development.

edit: remembering names is a good idea.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 11, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

gatesealer posted:

It is also that people can see that she is clearly a female version of Cloud from FFVII just minus the development.

Literally. The face models are the same, it's been compared. And for me, XIII was just really tedious to get through. I gave up halfway through that game because I wasn't having fun anymore.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

Literally. The face models are the same, it's been compared. And for me, XIII was just really tedious to get through. I gave up halfway through that game because I wasn't having fun anymore.

Thing is, there were some things they did that I actually thought were good. I liked that they tried something different for the combat and if they had worked at it more it could have been really good. I didn't mind the level up system since it just reminded me of the sphere grid, but aside from those and a couple minor things the rest of the game was boring. I think this phrase sums it up well "Once you get past the first 20 hours it gets really good". Why should I have to play through a game for 20 hours before it gets good? If I paid $60 for a game I don't want a third of the game to be a giant tutorial and have cutscenes every 5 steps.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

gatesealer posted:

The problem with Lightning is the problem with most of the characters in FFXIII, they have no character. Specifically they really have nothing in the form of character development. Probably the only likable character in the game is Sazh and maybe Fang though I didn't last long enough to see if she was a one note character or not. There probably wouldn't have been all this hate for Lightning if the story had simply ended at FFXIII (especially since after seeing the ending the story itself seemed to wrap up at least ok), but Nomura basically saw everyone's lackluster attitude towards Lightning and went "You will learn to love my video game wife" and forced 2 sequels that made her essentially a living mcguffin, but still with no real character development.

uh, Nomura was only the character designer for FFXIII, not the director. I'm pretty sure even HE doesn't like her.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

That lightning picture is from an april fools joke.
Thank god.

GMArcturus posted:

The reason I don't like Lightning is because she just doesn't seem very likable to me. The games really don't give me a reason to be invested in her story other than here is a game now go complete it.
Yeah um, FFXIII has a lot of problems with its writing and Lightning isn't really likeable in it because they have no idea what to DO with her or anything. Compared to her being in Dissidia 012 where she's the pessimistic straight-shooter cutting through all the bullshit and "fairytale crap" compared to the optimistic Warrior of Light from FF1, it's really sad. In Dissidia 012 however she's a lot better because she actually gets given a reason or objective of sorts, not wandering around loving with some "Focus" which is basically the writer saying "I don't loving know what to do let's have the characters do that as well and say it's meta or some poo poo :v:"

And yeah Nomura was just character designer he has no power of directing any higher up on FFXIII, or Dirge of Cerberus surprisingly I just found out a while back Nomura was really just a character designer on that too and absolutely was not a director or producer on it.
So really it's just Kingdom Hearts we can blame anything on him for!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
FFXIII is also the second least enjoyable game that I tried to get a platinum on.

The first is KH2. :toot:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nameless Fool posted:

She's just really bland. You play Evil Within? All of the main characters are like that too. Sebastian, Joseph, Kidman (I had to look up their names) One of the biggest problems with FFXIII is that you're just running around hallways fighting stuff and there's barely any conversation going on besides cutscenes. I mean, this game is the same but no one seems to be on everyone's case all the time though. It's a lot more light-hearted.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lightning is a Bad Character. Badly characterized in an already badly written game.
Like Arcturus said the player is given no reason to like Lightning , well apart from that one time when she punched Snow, at any point in the game.
She's a Squall-lite 'stoic' character who is completely humorless and XIII tries to force her down your throat at every turn.

It's why people like Sazh. At least he's felt more than one emotion.
At least he comes across as vaguely relatable and human.

In fact Sazh should be the only thing from XIII to show up in KH3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lightning is a Bad Character. Badly characterized in an already badly written game.
Like Arcturus said the player is given no reason to like Lightning , well apart from that one time when she punched Snow, at any point in the game.
She's a Squall-lite 'stoic' character who is completely humorless and XIII tries to force her down your throat at every turn.

It's why people like Sazh. At least he's felt more than one emotion.
At least he comes across as vaguely relatable and human.

In fact Sazh should be the only thing from XIII to show up in KH3.

I agree with all of this. Although having Frocobo in the game as well should happen.

I will still laugh when Chocolina is a summon. Because this is Square Enix and we know about how it's one tentative halting almost step forward followed by throwing yourself down a flight of stairs with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

She's just really bland. You play Evil Within? All of the main characters are like that too. Sebastian, Joseph, Kidman (I had to look up their names) One of the biggest problems with FFXIII is that you're just running around hallways fighting stuff and there's barely any conversation going on besides cutscenes. I mean, this game is the same but no one seems to be on everyone's case all the time though. It's a lot more light-hearted.
You'd think a game that has a poo poo-ton of walking around large empty spaces would use that space to, yanno, actually have dialogue and conversation all around you like say, Mass Effect would :v: but what do I know I didn't gently caress up the process of making a game by going backwards on the art and then writing stuff around it foolishly thinking you can mold story to a backdrop you have no idea how to use or fit in it with.

• Locked thread