Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

DreadLlama posted:

How about, "Kerbol is expanding to a Red Giant. Moho will be destroyed in a decade; Kerbin in 3. Evacuate to Laythe."

This is just the wrong tone, though. It's far too serious and grim for a game about little green people who like to climb aboard any sort of ridiculous spit-and-baling-wire rocket contraption and seeing if it blows up or flies. I'd hate to lose the goofy vibe it has now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't even have to have a pre-planned storyline as long as you have a Radiant-type system that can look at the world state and randomly generate small missions based on it.

-Rotate the personnel in an existing base or station by replacing some of the crew with new kerbals and bringing the old ones home.

-This satellite is malfunctioning, send an engineer to fix it.

-Expand an existing station or base by designing a module to spec and connecting it to a docking port.

-A satellite is at the end of its lifespan, land it back on Kerbin. Rewards based on how much of it survives touchdown.

-We've forgotten what we wrote on that flag, send someone to read its plaque.

-Move a station to an orbit around a different body.

-Remove debris from orbit (either recover it on kerbin or crash it into something hard enough to destroy it).

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Tippis posted:

*cough*∆v*cough*

Point nose to sky. Burn fuel.

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/32984465739612737/6CA178BD517E236CEBAA67ACAF392699851E4DF9/
I just noticed that Jeb is loving ecstatic as usual!

GESCHWINDIGKEIT MACHT FREI!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ZekeNY posted:

This is just the wrong tone, though. It's far too serious and grim for a game about little green people who like to climb aboard any sort of ridiculous spit-and-baling-wire rocket contraption and seeing if it blows up or flies. I'd hate to lose the goofy vibe it has now.

Laythe has been preliminary found to have lakes of beer/cheese/beer-cheese soup. You must colonize this world.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Tippis posted:

*cough*∆v*cough*

Oberth effect.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I want to make the most ridiculous possible land vehicle for Minmus exploration. Has anyone made a huge truck thing? I wanna see some pictures for ideas.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

A really good mission suggestion

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

haveblue posted:

You don't even have to have a pre-planned storyline as long as you have a Radiant-type system that can look at the world state and randomly generate small missions based on it.

-Rotate the personnel in an existing base or station by replacing some of the crew with new kerbals and bringing the old ones home.

-This satellite is malfunctioning, send an engineer to fix it.

-Expand an existing station or base by designing a module to spec and connecting it to a docking port.

-A satellite is at the end of its lifespan, land it back on Kerbin. Rewards based on how much of it survives touchdown.

-Move a station to an orbit around a different body.

-Remove debris from orbit (either recover it on kerbin or crash it into something hard enough to destroy it).

I second all of this.

I'd also add a space station resupply mission to this list. Check the consumables and bring x amount to refill the tanks. That would work with all the life support mods, although maybe not so well with mining mods if it wanted to resupply karbonite.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

ZekeNY posted:

This is a website that famously drew the ire of crazy people when they ran an article on mother's website's about aborted fetuses. If there's anyone capable of portraying any possibility of it ever being discovered by anything that you, your family, your country, your gods, your civilization, your species, or even the planet that bore you ever even existed - and make light of the situation - its these guys.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

karl fungus posted:

I want to make the most ridiculous possible land vehicle for Minmus exploration. Has anyone made a huge truck thing? I wanna see some pictures for ideas.

Like this, or bigger?

The trailer is articulated and detaches.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Very nice, but let's go a step forward. Let's go with the biggest available stock wheels.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
There should also be more missions that are possible to fail. You can fail at a rescue, or fail to meet a certain time requirement, but there aren't many other pressures to be successful/careful with missions. You can (sometimes) waste money, but that just means more grinding, which isn't fun.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
No more x64 builds

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/328-The-future-of-Windows-64-bit-builds-for-KSP

I kind of understand why this is. I just wish there was a way to have things like clouds install effortlessly and not have to play the KSP Memory Micromanagement Metagame.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Okan170 posted:

No more x64 builds

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/328-The-future-of-Windows-64-bit-builds-for-KSP

I kind of understand why this is. I just wish there was a way to have things like clouds install effortlessly and not have to play the KSP Memory Micromanagement Metagame.

All the more reason I'm glad to have chosen Linux for my new PC :mmmhmm:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

karl fungus posted:

Very nice, but let's go a step forward. Let's go with the biggest available stock wheels.

You mean the big crawler wheels? It is an absolute bitch to build things with them because of torquing issues while turning. I've used them along with the castors I make from landing gears and Infernal Robotics unpowered docking washers to make some interesting Minmus vehicles that usually look like drum vacuum cleaners though. I've also used those big wheels to make an amphibious vehicle. Last time I checked they're pretty buoyant.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Tippis posted:

*cough*∆v*cough*

It's in. :ssh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Maxmaps posted:

aww poo poo son

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

General_Failure posted:

You mean the big crawler wheels?

:getin:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

Yesssssssssssss

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Maxmaps posted:

:tviv:

Excellent. Shame about x64, but I can't fault you for Unity 4.x being buggy piles of poo poo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Maxmaps posted:

I really can't thank you guys enough. This was the single biggest thing preventing me from playing KSP without mods. As long as it's even remotely like the delta-V calculations from Engineer, I'll be happy. (I'm totally fine with it not covering everything, since even Engineer isn't perfect, especially for things like Apollo recreations.)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm now wondering if I can get better KSP performance running the x64 version in a Linux VM on my Mac.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Maxmaps posted:

But what game mechanic can we argue about now?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

One thing I'd really like to see is impact science missions. Something like

Crash a spacecraft into [biome] on [body] with
-No crew on board
-Mass at least [mass]
-Velocity at least [velocity]
-[No/allowed] residual propellant
-Observer spacecraft with [scientific instruments, power, antenna] within [range] (or have landed seismograph stations at designated places.)

Basically, I want money and science for slamming parts into astronomical bodies and/or asteroids.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 6, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Aerodynamics, obviously.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Luceo posted:

I'm now wondering if I can get better KSP performance running the x64 version in a Linux VM on my Mac.

Oh poo poo, are you telling me I can use VMware and run KSPx64 on linux through that?

O_O tonight is about to get interesting

EDIT: preliminary searching reveals that performance inside a VM is really slow, so looks like I'll have to dust off my dual-boot skills. Shame about Winx64 and Unity but if it allows Squad to focus their resources elsewhere it's definitely for the best.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 6, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Female kerbals should be locked until 30 years after the Kerbal Space Program begins.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ca6x4QbpoM

Please give us that new awesome landing gear.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Resour-:fuckoff:

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Transgender kerbals. :can:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Good heavens, look at the time.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

GWBBQ posted:

Female kerbals should be locked until 30 years after the Kerbal Space Program begins.

Uncool, dude.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Aerodynamics, obviously.

Tip vortex modelling and subsequent ground effects, yea or ney?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxmaps posted:

Good heavens, look at the time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

The Soviets launched a women after two years. Valentina Tereshkova was the 12th human in space.

Clearly we need Soyuz-based stock parts. :ussr:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Count Roland posted:

Clearly we need Soyuz-based stock parts. :ussr:

I'd love to see Soyuz-style conical side tanks .

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

GWBBQ posted:

One thing I'd really like to see is impact science missions. Something like

Crash a spacecraft into [biome] on [body] with
-No crew on board
-Mass at least [mass]
-Velocity at least [velocity]
-[No/allowed] residual propellant
-Observer spacecraft with [scientific instruments, power, antenna] within [range] (or have landed seismograph stations at designated places.)

Basically, I want money and science for slamming parts into astronomical bodies and/or asteroids.

Contract: Lithobreaking. This is the best idea. Plus, it's a real mission!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Luneshot posted:

The Tantares mod does that, I believe.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Luneshot posted:

Procedural parts, rounded cone, peaked #2 is pretty close to a Soyuz style first stage lfo booster. You can even add stock parachutes to the top node, and scale it to whatever size.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Home Grown Rockets is a full set of Soyuz-like parts styled like stock parts and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Luneshot posted:

As far as I know it's NovaPunch that has the Vostok / Voskhod style side tanks, and those lattice-y sections between stages too. I don't know what they are called sorry. Kudos to anyone who can make a useful rocket with them though.