Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think that's very common now, and marketers don't really seem to be willing to confront it. At least, they aren't advertising to millennials the way they market to the stereotypically impoverished, like, say, middle-aged people of color. There's still this assumption that young white people have disposable income. But even in the increasingly rare cases where they do, millennials aren't spending their money as freely. Millennials are much more likely to avoid credit cards and taking on debt. You used to be able to count on some easy money from a college kid who couldn't wait to rack up credit card bills, but now young people aren't really seeing any advantage over just sticking with their debit cards for everything.

A lot of people are assuming that when this generation comes into money they'll react the same way the WWII generation did, buying up the american dream as fast as they can, but that was a generation that wasn't cynical about advertising, that remains very gullible and slow to recognize a scam even now. Little by little I see stories like jidohan's about someone giving up something that's supposed to be mandatory for american life, and not really missing it. Sure, it's usually not television (please keep watching television everyone, television pays my bills), but how many people have you all met who gave up, say, soda or fast food and not only stopped craving it, but couldn't even stand it after a while?

This sounds more paranoid than I want it to be but a lot of our economy is built on creating products consumers get addicted to. Not just tobacco (another sector where demand is cratering), but highly-engineered junk food, video/mobile gaming, and easy credit. If people stop consuming these products - whether because they choose to or because they can't afford to - long enough to break the addiction, the whole thing's going to collapse.

Millennials aren't special. They are just as dumb about advertisement as Boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Wall Street Journal says the median income for Millennials in the U.S. is $35,300. That's more than three times the income of a person a dollar below the poverty line established by USDHS. Sure, they're not rolling in cash, but it would be a mistake to assume that young people don't have any disposable income or willingness to use it.

Well there's the pitfall of using isolated statistics for you. Did the WSJ tell you the average rent those 35thousandaires pay? The average student loan payment? Or even compare that inflation-adjusted income to what that age group made in previous generations?

kazil posted:

Millennials aren't special. They are just as dumb about advertisement as Boomers.

I didn't say they were special, I said they were different. If you don't think there are generational differences in media literacy this isn't a conversation you're equipped to participate in.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Wall Street Journal says the median income for Millennials in the U.S. is $35,300. That's more than three times the income of a person a dollar below the poverty line established by USDHS. Sure, they're not rolling in cash, but it would be a mistake to assume that young people don't have any disposable income or willingness to use it.

The median income of Boomers in 1975 (around the same place as 2015 to Millenials) was $67,097 in 2014 dollars. The US poverty line is ridiculously low, and Millenials have about half the money that their parents did at the same age. And that's fully ignoring the factors brought up a post above mine.

Tiny Brontosaurus, we have to stop meeting like this, you have too many correct opinions.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Monkey posted:

The median income of Boomers in 1975 (around the same place as 2015 to Millenials) was $67,097 in 2014 dollars. The US poverty line is ridiculously low, and Millenials have about half the money that their parents did at the same age. And that's fully ignoring the factors brought up a post above mine.

Tiny Brontosaurus, we have to stop meeting like this, you have too many correct opinions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I didn't say they were special, I said they were different. If you don't think there are generational differences in media literacy this isn't a conversation you're equipped to participate in.

A lot of people are assuming that when this generation comes into money they'll react the same way the WWII generation did, buying up the american dream as fast as they can, but that was a generation that wasn't cynical about advertising, that remains very gullible and slow to recognize a scam even now.

Millennials aren't special.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Well there's the pitfall of using isolated statistics for you. Did the WSJ tell you the average rent those 35thousandaires pay? The average student loan payment? Or even compare that inflation-adjusted income to what that age group made in previous generations?

Sorry if I came across as a dick--I wasn't trying to be combative. I am well aware of how much things suck for Millennials' pocketbooks. They're in rough shape and it's tough on those of us in the media who rely on their spending to support our employers. I'm just bothered by the common perception that they're dirt poor and never have any disposable income.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kazil posted:

Millennials aren't special.

If you don't think there are generational differences in media literacy, a massive component of which is the ability to recognize and deconstruct advertising techniques, you aren't equipped to participate in this conversation. Sorry babyman, read a book and come back.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sorry if I came across as a dick--I wasn't trying to be combative. I am well aware of how much things suck for Millennials' pocketbooks. They're in rough shape and it's tough on those of us in the media who rely on their spending to support our employers. I'm just bothered by the common perception that they're dirt poor and never have any disposable income.

I understand that, but I didn't say that they were dirt poor, and it doesn't have to be never to be an economy-changing reduction in spending.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Sorry babyman, read a book and come back.

Don't do this. I agree with you and it's still a lovely way to argue.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

walrusman posted:

:qq:

I don't have to sea lion every heckler who rolls up in here.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

walrusman posted:

If someone counters your arguments with "nope sorry you're wrong", it's perfectly acceptable to tell them to gently caress off.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I can see why people jumped on you though. Having :siren: THREE TIMES THE POVERTY LEVEL :siren: isn't the same as having disposable income, especially since as someone else pointed out, rents and student loan debt make up the majority of expenses for that demographic. I mean, I live in the Best City In the World (tm) with really affordable living and I still don't have money to throw down on a new car or something else-or rather I do, but it'd be irresponsible to do so (the same way Baby Boomers are irresponsible to do it, but historically did).

Also its easier to do comparison shopping now, more than ever. You're less likely to get roped into the first quick deal if you have the ability to compare and more importantly compare QUICKLY to find the best rate. Also a lot of Millenials are wise to sales trends and how retail purchasing works so they're more easily able to take advantage of it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Captain Monkey posted:

The US poverty line is ridiculously low

This poster speaks truth. I recently applied for SNAP (food stamps) and learned that if you make more than $1200 a month, you no longer qualify in this state. Yes, because I can totally support a household on $14,400 (before taxes) a year :psyduck: guess I'll be finding out how comfy my Kia is to sleep in, soon

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

If you don't think there are generational differences in media literacy, a massive component of which is the ability to recognize and deconstruct advertising techniques, you aren't equipped to participate in this conversation. Sorry babyman, read a book and come back

I concede. Millennials are just such special snowflakes that they are too smart to fall for scams and advertising.

*posted from my iPhone at Starbucks to facebook and twitter*

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Didn't you know that all millenials are required to pass a comprehensive course on "recognizing and deconstructing advertising techniques in the modern media landscape"?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kazil posted:

I concede. Millennials are just such special snowflakes that they are too smart to fall for scams and advertising.

when did 70 year olds learn how to use the internet

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Haha, I am looking at that WSJ article right now and it defines a millenial as anyone under 35. And the data only includes heads of households. And their median net worth is still only $10,400. That's pretty fuckin bad, dawg.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Wandle Cax posted:

Didn't you know that all millenials are required to pass a comprehensive course on "recognizing and deconstructing advertising techniques in the modern media landscape"?
Come to think of it, I actually did have lessons like that in middle and high school health classes. It was in the context of cigarettes and booze advertisements, but was easily transferable. Dunno how common that is.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Alouicious posted:

when did 70 year olds learn how to use the internet

20 years ago.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Whatev posted:

Haha, I am looking at that WSJ article right now and it defines a millenial as anyone under 35. And the data only includes heads of households. And their median net worth is still only $10,400. That's pretty fuckin bad, dawg.

The rest of that is dumb but a millennial is anyone under 35. Generations are much bigger than people think they are.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

massive respect to you for sticking to your guns when your all argument is basically leaning out of your car window and shouting "kids!!!" at 50mph

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

massive respect to you for sticking to your guns when your all argument is basically leaning out of your car window and shouting "kids!!!" at 50mph

Yes milennials are the first generation ever to be immune to the effects of advertising and truly blaze their own trail into the unknown and

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ishamael posted:

Yes milennials are the first generation ever to be immune to the effects of advertising and truly blaze their own trail into the unknown and

Seriously, what do you get out of pretending that was what anyone was saying? If you're so desperate to join the conversation why don't you join it by responding to the actual content, instead of making something up? Do you just need something to be mad at? Do you think you'll get attention if you provoke people into re-explaining their points to you using smaller and smaller words while you pretend you still can't understand they aren't saying this made-up thing?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Seriously, what do you get out of pretending that was what anyone was saying? If you're so desperate to join the conversation why don't you join it by responding to the actual content, instead of making something up? Do you just need something to be mad at? Do you think you'll get attention if you provoke people into re-explaining their points to you using smaller and smaller words while you pretend you still can't understand they aren't saying this made-up thing?

The Top 10 Things Millenials Say On Internet Forums - Number 7 Will Leave Your Jaw On The Floor!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ishamael posted:

ugh fukkin sluts mirite bro

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ishamael posted:

My dick stopped growing in toddlerhood so I have an insatiable desire for attention!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Oxyclean posted:

I imagine this is going to go down as cars with smartphone/ipod/etc hook-ups get more common (and become the kind of car that gets handed down)

But even then I guess you have satellite/web radio?

...both of which are saturated with advertising (Oxyclean, I'm not responding to something you specifically said...just speaking). I will feel as confident saying this in 50 years as I am saying it now: No westerner will ever, under any circumstances, escape constant advertising. People in prison see advertising every day. Shut-ins who don't even walk outside to get the mail see advertising every day.

"Millennials don't respond to marketing" is totally false. They're saturated in marketing messages, and they do respond to them. What brands and models of electronics and clothing are most popular with them? Unless the answer is, "none," they've been successfully targeted and affected by marketing. I've worked in marketing for most of the last decade, and some of what we offer is targeted at pre-teens, teens, and young adults. Those campaigns have completely different messages and delivery mechanisms than the ones designed for everyone else, but that's why they're effective. Millenials really aren't that difficult to reach.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lincoln posted:

"Millennials don't respond to marketing" is totally false.
GOOD THING NOBODY SAID THAT THEN

Don't you think you'd be better at your job if you learned how to read?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I think the comparison to boomers in the '60s is somewhat justified, excepting the fact that boomers came of age during a time of great economic prosperity, before Reagan and co began to dismantle the New Deal. Whether or not Millennials will sell themselves out in a similar fashion in the coming years remains to be seen.

On topic: I happened to catch the aforementioned Budweiser Super Bowl ad over the weekend, and my reaction was: "So, wait. Budweiser is the beer for people who don't think about their beer choices? In other words, only people who are willfully ignorant drink your product. Brilliant marketing message, guys."

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

GOOD THING NOBODY SAID THAT THEN

Don't you think you'd be better at your job if you learned how to read?

You're a forums treasure, you rascal.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ishamael posted:

kids!! *throws polaroids which flutter away in the wake of the car*

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The actual argument: a lot of companies are still using a type of marketing that doesn't work as well on Millenials, since they have been inundated with it since they were small children. This has caused well known companies to start to put out embarrassingly ineffective ads and lose market share.

The argument some people read: MILLENIALS ARE IMMUNE TO ALL MARKETING.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I think the comparison to boomers in the '60s is somewhat justified, excepting the fact that boomers came of age during a time of great economic prosperity, before Reagan and co began to dismantle the New Deal. Whether or not Millennials will sell themselves out in a similar fashion in the coming years remains to be seen.

On topic: I happened to catch the aforementioned Budweiser Super Bowl ad over the weekend, and my reaction was: "So, wait. Budweiser is the beer for people who don't think about their beer choices? In other words, only people who are willfully ignorant drink your product. Brilliant marketing message, guys."

I wasn't talking about the boomers though, I was talking about the "Greatest Generation," their parents. The people who lived through the depression and were middle-aged when America had its boom in the 50s. Their starting point is a closer analogue to the recession-impacted millennials, and I was speculating about whether the future would follow the same trajectory for us as it did for them, until some goony-goons noticed people were trying to have an adult conversation and lumbered in here to put a stop to it.

Captain Monkey posted:

The actual argument: a lot of companies are still using a type of marketing that doesn't work as well on Millenials, since they have been inundated with it since they were small children. This has caused well known companies to start to put out embarrassingly ineffective ads and lose market share.

The argument some people read: MILLENIALS ARE IMMUNE TO ALL MARKETING.

Yeah and beyond marketing techniques failing, there's too little attention paid to the fact that many classic products are unappealing to young people, even disgusting. Just like canned meat goes from "comfort food" to "secret santa gag gift" as the generations pass, a lot of longtime popular foods are coasting on the taste consumers develop for them in childhood. If you don't grow up on Campbell's soup and Coca-Cola you're way more likely to think it's disgusting as an adult, and a splintering market means there's fewer kids getting indoctrinated in that way even before you consider factors like increased-health consciousness and those brands no longer being seen as things rich people buy.

Tiny Brontosaurus has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Feb 6, 2015

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
There's this company HSTRY that tries to sell really basic web apps that make interactive timelines easily. Twitter is another place they offer help for, suggesting many ways to use the medium to teach. They market to secondary educators, museums, and lazy public historians.

To "kick off" black history month, HSTRY thought it would be a great idea to "live tweet" the murder/lynching of Emmett Till, complete with brutal death photos, racial slurs, and from the perspective of Till's uncle... So there's a lot of borderline racist representations of the Till family in there. Because the uncle didn't leave a journal, they were just making up poo poo he may have said.

HSTRY ignored pretty heavy backlash, largely from African Americans, before finally throwing up an apology on their website a few hours later.

Oh yeah, and their material was largely plagiarized from older articles. Oops.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I wasn't talking about the boomers though, I was talking about the "Greatest Generation," their parents. The people who lived through the depression and were middle-aged when America had its boom in the 50s. Their starting point is a closer analogue to the recession-impacted millennials, and I was speculating about whether the future would follow the same trajectory for us as it did for them, until some goony-goons noticed people were trying to have an adult conversation and lumbered in here to put a stop to it.

Yeah an adult conversation which involves insulting other posters penises, very adult discussion you are running here Tiny brontosaurus

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah an adult conversation which involves insulting other posters penises, very adult discussion you are running here Tiny brontosaurus

Heaven forfend.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

The rest of that is dumb but a millennial is anyone under 35. Generations are much bigger than people think they are.
There is no standard definition for millennial, and different sources use varying ranges. I would wager that the average person does not think of someone born in 1980 as a millenial, so it deserves clarification.

I doubt millennials are notably impervious to advertising, though. Apple. They just have different priorities and tastes than other gens and a lot definitive American products are on the down slope because of it. I actually don't see many strategies Budweiser could go with beyond cribbing from truck advertisements and pushing that Bud is for men and craft beers are for fags. Anyone into craft beers isn't going to be interested in Budweiser to begin with, so it's not a dangerous message for them.

Bud sales have dramatically fallen over the last decade or so. There's not really a place for the poo poo anymore; if you want taste, there are countless better options than Bud's famous watery piss flavor, and if you want cheap, there are plenty of much cheaper beers with lower calorie counts. It's to be expected that they're gonna be desperately trying to define themselves among a marketplace that is moving past their classic items. The product itself is mediocre on every level, so they gotta come up with some psych bullshit to push it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Whatev posted:

I doubt millennials are notably impervious to advertising, though. Apple.

I didn't say they were for gently caress's sake and this is the last time I'm going to repeat myself. I said they were more media literate than eighty-year olds. What is so goddamn hard to understand here.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Hey retards, stop ruining the thread with your lovely pedantic arguments.

thanks!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

I definitely get what you're saying. There are comparisons to be made to both generations. Millennials have the poor economic starting point of the Greatest Generation (albeit without an FDR in office to sort things out) and the anti-authoritarian and anti-consumerist attitudes of the young Boomers.

It's an odd and in many ways unfortunate situation, and I really don't think it's going to end up well for us.

E: It's funny that you bring up Apple because that company has actually figured out how to market to us by tapping into our anti-authoritarianism. Apple makes products for super special creative snowflakes like you, not mass market garbage like the other guy. Never mind those Foxconn workers jumping to their deaths in the background.

Devil Wears Wings has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Settle down, Tiny -- you're very upset and you probably need to take a breather.

I didn't type a yo mamma joke. It's pretty clear I was responding to a common sentiment in marketing circles: that the younger generation is somehow unreachable. Hey look, I even said I wasn't responding to someone specifically, just speaking.

Anyway, advertising is ubiquitous and largely passive. We've had a lot of success simply plastering our logo where it'll be seen on mobile devices. Oftentimes no message, just the brand. And whatever "named" generation comes after the Millenials will probably respond to a completely different delivery system. Or message. Or both. Who knows? Regardless, we'll be ready for them. There's too much money involved for us to not know what's going to work before we really need to know.

The ones that figure it out first never share.