Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

the drat truck was left with the hood latched, doors locked, and the keys are 300 miles away, so it's not like I could have actually gotten started on the swap anyways. Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4kYwUezn0&t=12s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This is very much a project I got roped into because it's his DD and then my dad wandered off to go skiing in a rental car, so I am perfectly happy to tidy up this motor and wait for him to be around to help out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Just park the motor in the bombed out shell of your living room and let it fit in with the decor in the meantime?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Went to the junkyard today for an MJ dana 44 for Adiabatic. Got out the door with it for $140 including tax, not bad, they quoted me 160 over the phone Friday but didn't realize who was calling I guess. I buy probably 4k a year in parts from them, so they usually give me bulk discounts on stuff.

Then I got it dragged out to the parking lot and got to thinking. Wonder how hard it would be to put dana 44s on a subaru forester?

Turns out the answer is "not very hard", install was completed in well under an hour. Barely affected fuel economy, I got 22mpg on the way home and would recommend this mod to anyone considering it. Sorry, no in process pictures, as usual I forgot to take any until I was done.

:v: the lug patterns don't match and I am not sure where I would mount the leaf springs to, of course I wasn't serious.

E: oh yeah, a 98-00 red forester became a target of opportunity, I now have a good front passenger door for mine with no dents/scrapes. Only remaining bolton panels with significant damage are the hatch and the front fenders, and I've already bought the replacement fenders but not yet installed them.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 31, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
1. You're an incredible person.

2. Awesome transport method.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha I was thinking how the hell is that possible but I didn't doubt it because if anyone would try and succeed it would be you :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ya know I just kinda took it for granted that you'd actually mounted that axle as part of the suspension of the Subaru.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

When I discovered the subframe was rotten as gently caress on this piece of poo poo about a month after I bought it, I actually debated installing a 4.10:1 geared disc brake converted 29 spline chrysler 8.25 I have sitting in my kitchen, but decided to just keep it factory instead.

The thing understeers like a bitch right now, then snap oversteers if you lift, so driving it is not something to do while tired, but is otherwise quite manageable. I guess maybe I should take the 700lbs of parts and tools out of the trunk and off the roof and see how it handles.

It also is trolling me really bad with the drat valve stems. Thursday morning I filled the tires, they were all even but low after a few months. By lunchtime the rear right was completely flat so I filled it back up. This morning the front left was completely flat, after being fine for several days. :wtf:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

kastein posted:

When I discovered the subframe was rotten as gently caress on this piece of poo poo about a month after I bought it, I actually debated installing a 4.10:1 geared disc brake converted 29 spline chrysler 8.25 I have sitting in my kitchen,
You should make some unholy abomination Subaru with live axles and a 4.0.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Valve stems were 2 dollars each at discount tire last week for me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The wheels/tires on this thing are a long story. Basically, I have new studded snow tires for it and have had them since August, but they aren't on yet because I haven't had it aligned yet. I haven't had it aligned yet because while I've gone through almost all of the front suspension by now, I have all the parts on hand to redo the rear suspension, but haven't had a chance to do so because my parents house keeps falling apart, my house keeps falling apart, and my dad's truck keeps blowing up because he won't fix it till it stops moving. I don't want to spend money on an alignment only to have to do it again when I replace the rear suspension, and I don't want my new tires chewed up either. The tires that are currently on it have minimal life remaining, are starting to dry rot, and are pretty much garbage hockey pucks traction wise, so they are going away the second I get a chance.

So basically, I have to do the rear suspension replacement and front CV shafts, then get it aligned, then have the new tires put on at which point they'll be doing the valvestems by default.

I'm reasonably certain I just got a bunch of garbage and road salt/sand stuck in the valve stems when I filled them up at a service station Thursday morning. So I dicked around with them and tried to knock everything out each time a tire went flat, hopefully I've succeeded.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought a lifetime alignment from Firestone last week with new tires (they also beat tire racks price). Was $150.

Your mileage may vary by local shop, but they seemed to do a good job, and correctly pointed out a failing front wheel bearing. I'm doing ball joints, front bearings, and shocks all the way around, then taking it back later this week for my first free alignment. Also, I'm used to small cars.... Truck parts are friggin expensive.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

I bought a lifetime alignment from Firestone last week with new tires (they also beat tire racks price). Was $150.

I did that for my XJ thinking I could just take it back whenever I wanted to get the alignment tweaked, except they added shims into the passenger LCA and caused massive deathwobble as soon as I hit a bump on the highway at 60mph.

I then had to argue with them because they wouldn't refund my money and I had to go back home and bring them the shims as proof before they finally gave the money back. The manager only relinquished after I wrote a letter to Firestone Corporate and showed it to him.

That said, I wouldn't let Firestone near any lifted Jeep ever again.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah, this is a stock Tundra, DD and tow vehicle. I wouldn't take a lifted truck up there, or any chain shop really. One of the guys I work with is catching hell trying to get his brand new lifted bro truck GMC aligned. Wearing out his brand new m/t tires right quick.

That being said, if you can judge a book by its cover, the guys at this place look like car dorks and their personal vehicles look like AI.

AND not four months ago, I took the truck to a local independent tire shop, rotate and balance and specifically told them to check the wheel bearings because there was a noise. They said everything looked good and was just worn tires. It was not just the tires. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, I inspected the bores on the new 3.0 for my dad's truck last night, crosshatching is still visible. Rods feel fine but will be popping the rod/main caps and taking a look anyways. Replaced the spark plugs last night, they were badly worn but came out just fine.

And the M22x1.5 tap to clean out the EGR bung threads in the manifold showed up today so nothing's blocking this project now. Guess I will work on it tomorrow night since I am busy tonight.

The only real lovely thing left in the way is the four broken off studs in the exhaust ports on the heads. God what a lovely design, I hit them with oxy/mapp last night to try and take some of the temper out so they're softer than the drill bit but who knows if it got anywhere, the torch was too small to really heat it up much.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Not sure if your dad fully realizes and appreciates what you're doing for him, but he sure as poo poo should.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Are the studs poking out at all or they broken off flush?

I'm always reminded of the denmah video of the snap on stud tool which looks like it makes miracles happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJi3G2oUOfY

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

3 are broken off flush and one sticks out about 1/8". It previously stuck out 1/2" (previous owner of the engine broke it off and left it that way!), but I've already broken the end off twice trying to unscrew it with heat, hammering on the end, etc.

Problem is, these heads are designed in an asinine way (oh right it's a Ford) and they are through drilled so garbage gets in the threads from the back. Far worse than a normal engine where they just seize in from one side, but at least I can through drill and nut it if I really have to.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

through drilled so garbage gets in the threads from the back. Far worse than a normal engine where they just seize in from one side, but at least I can through drill and nut it if I really have to.

What in the actual gently caress.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

What in the actual gently caress.

I will punch the person who came up with this idea in the balls so hard they end up with four kidneys if I ever meet them.

The best part? There's literally no reason. They could have made that part of the head (the 3 flanges for the top manifold bolts) a boss instead of a flange, and I'd already be done. But some fuckwit decided it should be like that.

Probably the same retard who made the bottom row line up perfectly with THE loving HEAD BOLT HOLES. I pulled exhaust bolts out and realized I was looking at head bolt threads and was very glad I didn't have to drill those ones out, because drilling into the side of a head bolt is not something I wish to experience.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Are the studs poking out at all or they broken off flush?

I'm always reminded of the denmah video of the snap on stud tool which looks like it makes miracles happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJi3G2oUOfY

Holy poo poo this must be what a religious miracle is like for people who can still feel authentic joy.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo this must be what a religious miracle is like for people who can still feel authentic joy.

You aren't kidding. I do a lot of triton 5.4 exhaust manifolds and the studs always snap. This would make those jobs more bearable. I may actually buy a tool of the snap on guy this week.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Go to an industrial tool supply place and buy a 3 flute carbide drill to drill the stuff out. They work kinda like end mills that drill.

Or you can try welding a nut on the end of them, just lather the surrounding area with anti spatter so you don't weld onto the presumably steel head.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's a cast iron head, but yeah, either way that would suck.

They're so small I doubt I'm going to get anywhere except for making the bolts harder by welding to them. Carbide drill is an interesting idea, though... and reminds me. Here's where I take your great machinist/fabricator idea and add some banjos. All my friends who build offroad trucks use carbide tipped masonry bits (yes you read that right) when they need to open up the center pin bolt hole in a leaf spring pack to install a larger bolt. I figure they'll be more tolerant of me loving up, too, since they're meant to be used in hammer drills on concrete and stone. It looks like mcmaster and grainger can only get me a carbide bit for like 50-80 bucks and several days of waiting, so I'm going to use a masonry bit. I'm not sure if we have a local tooling supply place but if we do, they'll likely be closed before I get out of work.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It's a cast iron head, but yeah, either way that would suck.

They're so small I doubt I'm going to get anywhere except for making the bolts harder by welding to them. Carbide drill is an interesting idea, though... and reminds me. Here's where I take your great machinist/fabricator idea and add some banjos. All my friends who build offroad trucks use carbide tipped masonry bits (yes you read that right) when they need to open up the center pin bolt hole in a leaf spring pack to install a larger bolt. I figure they'll be more tolerant of me loving up, too, since they're meant to be used in hammer drills on concrete and stone. It looks like mcmaster and grainger can only get me a carbide bit for like 50-80 bucks and several days of waiting, so I'm going to use a masonry bit. I'm not sure if we have a local tooling supply place but if we do, they'll likely be closed before I get out of work.

Just do me a favor and blast this in the background while you are inventing new swear words to curse at the cylinder heads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waxfGlK5mis

The thought of the masonry bit skipping around, hammer drill cracking' away at the cylinder head, sparks shooting everywhere... goddamn. Make sure you give a loud "YEE HAWW" at the end for me too.

Edit: I know you're not using a hammer drill, but in my mind it makes it such a beautiful thing.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ripoff posted:

Just do me a favor and blast this in the background while you are inventing new swear words to curse at the cylinder heads:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...rName=Ken+Banjo

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 5, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Night made. Off to the pub giggling like a fanny.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:vince:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:master:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I'm honestly surprised the masonry bits hold up, and it probably works because there is already a hole in the center. I expect those to walk right off your broken stud.

Those drill bits sure are pricey! Sorry you get out of touch with those things when you have a cabinets full of them (yay corporate).

Another option that you can buy at ace hardware (I think) are Cobalt drills. Much more tolerant to heat than regular drill bits. I use those to enlarge the holes in turbine housings for Volvo turbos. Just make sure you use a lot of oil, more pressure, less rpm.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was expecting more along the lines of Dueling Banjos. It'll do... :haw:

(I laughed myself silly)

mafoose posted:

I'm honestly surprised the masonry bits hold up, and it probably works because there is already a hole in the center. I expect those to walk right off your broken stud.

I have a Secret Plan to combat this :ninja:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Brilliant :golfclap:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

well, that made my day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Excellent way to start the day :golfclap:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Stuff you need for the transmission:
- might need a new pilot bearing. I don't recall offhand what OD you will need, since you have an 88 4.0L, you may end up having to pull the thing apart, measure the crank bore after pulling the old pilot bearing, and then order one.
- I don't know what flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc you use to put an AX15 behind a motor that came with a BA-10/5. I'm guessing stock flywheel and PP plus a new AX15 size clutch disc, but it may just go together stock. Will have to look into this.
- get a new throwout bearing for the donor transmission year. So, for a 94. Should be the same 94-01, but why complicate things by using a random year?
- new trans mount bushing, because it's the right time to do it. Rockauto new one for a 94 should be fine, stay away from Anchor and the other poo poo tier brands. DEA is probably alright.
- new shifter seat is the one I specifically mentioned, you NEED this, that donor trans has a real shagged out one in it. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/oil-seal-fits-inside-the-shift-retainer-4864226x.html
- new shift turret boot, you need this too. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/gear-shifter-boot-transmission-mounted-83500520.html
- new floor boot - iirc the one from the donor is hosed. You can use the TJ one from iForge's thread, but when I transcribed that info from his thread to one on NAXJA to help someone, they ended up teaching me something. The XJ/MJ boot is actually still available despite what I said previously. It's part number 52104217, allegedly for a 97-99 XJ and available at the dealer for 20 bucks or less. The part number for a 94-96 (your donor year) is 53005384, which is listed as NLA, so I'd lean towards the one iForge found because he already tried it and it works on his '90 with some '94 parts.
- you definitely need all new bushings for the transfer case shift linkage, they were in poo poo condition when we started and my prybar hamfuckery to get all that disconnected from the donor certainly didn't do them any favors. Fortunately they're cheap. Get five 0357 5333 bushings: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/transfer-case-shifter-grommet-3575333.html

You do need new U bolts for the rear axle, as well as SUA leaf perches, U-bolt plates, and shock mounts. You don't need them for the front axle, because it's not leaf sprung.

Buy two 5-153X ujoints and two 2-70-18X ujoint strap kits on northerndrivetrain, you'll either need them now or want them later.

That is all I can think of ATM but I am sure there is more.

I finally got around to ordering some stuff:

-The throwout bearing and trans mount bushing
-The shifter seat, tcase shift linkages, shift turret boot
- I received the Chryco 8.25 parts a couple weeks ago (Ubolts/plates/shock mounts).

I still haven't ordered springs or shocks yet but they're on the list.

I did start working on field stripping the D30 and 8.25 so that I can prepare them for painting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Be careful what you paint on the d30, especially don't paint the wheel bearing areas, balljoints, pinion/yoke, or axleshafts/ujoints. The rest for the most part is open season.

My company23 subaru axleshaft roll pin tool came in the mail today so it was time to possibly solve the rhythmic shaking of the drivetrain every time I gave it more than about 1/4 throttle in 2nd-4th gears. I was pretty sure it was a binding CV, and probably the left one...

First, I found out that the PO's mechanic hamfucked the rollpin, only about 80% of it remained. Old, new:

Then I checked the old CV shaft rotational play and compared it to the new one. HOLY gently caress!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MggfKMt6jZw

Yeah it was pretty much chooched. Put the new one in, torqued everything to spec, test drive, and... it doesn't shake even a tiny bit at full throttle in any gear.

Much better.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

First, I found out that the PO's mechanic hamfucked the rollpin, only about 80% of it remained. Old, new:

Much better.

Argghhhh, roll pins! My AR-15 lower building PTSD! TRIGGER WARNING THAT poo poo!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ACEofsnett posted:

Argghhhh, roll pins! My AR-15 lower building PTSD! TRIGGER WARNING THAT poo poo!

Pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I'm sorry, i over reacted.