Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

happyhippy posted:

Little bit of vaccines hamper the profits of our insurance/medical care campaign donors.

This is the opposite if you're Rick Perry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't think Republican anti-vax is really going to be a thing come 2016. There's no soft truth in the middle coverage from outlets like CNN (surprisingly) and I bet it caught guys like Paul and Christie off guard. They'll walk their statements back to a safe position of parental choice and once measles stops being a top story everyone will move on to something else.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Little bit of anti-obama.
Little bit of anti-Big Government (but abortion and vagina monitoring is ok)
Little bit of gently caress it only the poor will die from it.
Little bit of vaccines hamper the profits of our insurance/medical care campaign donors.

This Lou Bega remix is weird

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

What aspect of libertarian philosophy would lead a medically educated man to think it's okay to go on national television and perpetuate the myth that vaccines cause mental disorders?

This is something that doesn't get talked about, but the vast majority of doctors aren't scientists (with clinician-scientists and other MD-PhD's being the exception), and dont understand how science works. As a result, they will often give too much credence to anecdotal "evidence" because they simply dont understand the difference between that and real research. Go read some papers written by practicing physicians trying to dabble in research and compare them to papers written by actual scientists, its quite depressing; I often see physician-authored papers present raw patient metrics based on their practice without any statistical tests of significance to account for the sample size and variation.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 5, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

R0 No. 5

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bobby Digital posted:

Jump up and down, and move it all around
Shake your head to the sound, put your kids in the ground

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Digital posted:

Ebola No .5

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Robby Wells, Jeff Boss, and Vermin Supreme.

I wish some ambitious Iowa Democratic group would schedule a "1st in the Nation" debate for the current esteemed Democratic candidates and save us from this early campaign season mire.

For the record, only Prohibitionist Jack Fellure is in on the GOP side.

For the record, Barry O declared on Feb. 10, 2007.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

nachos posted:

I don't think Republican anti-vax is really going to be a thing come 2016. There's no soft truth in the middle coverage from outlets like CNN (surprisingly) and I bet it caught guys like Paul and Christie off guard. They'll walk their statements back to a safe position of parental choice and once measles stops being a top story everyone will move on to something else.

Or the immunization rate will continue to drop and the outbreaks will get much, much worse. Measles is bad enough, but this idiocy risks reviving dozens of other diseases. Even if it doesn't though, the fact is that measles is now back in the US and it's probably not going anywhere. We're at the very tip of the political iceberg here. This outbreak has meant that anti-vaxxers can't hide in the fringes anymore. People in the mainstream are discussing making vaccines truly mandatory for the first time in years. Those efforts, and the inevitable pushback, make for a compelling drama with public health on one side and individual liberty on the other. Giving the antivaxxers a voice in the mainstream would be catastrophic, but that will hardly stop our media from exploiting an issue this juicy. Now that the media has found a new controvery , they're going to milk it for all its worth and that means every time there's a new outbreak, or a new bill is proposed (if I were in the California legislature, I'd be begging my staffers to draw up a pro-vaccine bill ASAP), or someone new joins the debate, this story is going to come roaring back. The story may not be as fresh next year, but I'm absolutely convinced vaccines will still be an issue in 2016.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

nachos posted:

Yeah, even Fox News took a surprisingly strong pro-vaccine stance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The one time they were being responsible journalists was quickly dashed when they aired the unedited footage of that Jordanian pilot being burned alive.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NPR posted:

The team also identified five clusters where all vaccines were refused for the babies and toddlers in the study:

10.2 percent of children in an area from El Cerrito to Alameda
7.4 percent in northeastern San Francisco
6.6 percent in Marin and southwest Sonoma counties
5.5 percent in northeastern Sacramento County and Roseville
13.5 percent of kids in a small area south of Sacramento

Do these places have distinct political tendencies on one side? Apparently this is a thing in Oregon too.

Caros
May 14, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one time they were being responsible journalists was quickly dashed when they aired the unedited footage of that Jordanian pilot being burned alive.

Jesus, really? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Caros posted:

Their reasoning was literally they hope it inspires a crusade.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Caros posted:

Post footage -> footage disseminates on the Internet -> people more skeert of Mooselimbs -> more votes for big tuff Republicans who can protect us from Sharia Law

they should get on board with anti-vax, too.

More children dying of easily-preventable infectious disease -> blame easily pinned on Illegal Immigrant Plaguebearers -> more votes for big tuff Republicans who can protect us from The Mexicans

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 5, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Even FOX is coming out as pro-vaccine?

I thought for-loving-sure the insane right wing was going to run for it's money with vaccine denialism. For once in my faith in humanity is actually heightened.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Even FOX is coming out as pro-vaccine?

I thought for-loving-sure the insane right wing was going to run for it's money with vaccine denialism. For once in my faith in humanity is actually heightened.

It's a calculation to preserve sponsors, rather than an assessment of the feelings of the base, I'm sure.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

And they can spin it to point the finger at dirty Messicans.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FAUXTON posted:

Holy poo poo, how did this get missed? :vince:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Pegged Lamb posted:

Do these places have distinct political tendencies on one side? Apparently this is a thing in Oregon too.

Overall, no. Basically the bad vaccination areas in CA are spread across the political spectrum, although the poorer San Joaquin valley counties (which have a high amount of migrant farm workers) actually look pretty good. This came up in the political maps thread, because there's a map of CA by school district and the results don't fit any obvious political bent. In some other thread the rates of vaccination for some charter schools were posted, and they were sub-50%, which does fit the type of people I've run in to who don't vaccinate. They care about their kids, and are sorta-educated, but are in to alternative ways of doing things.. and the vaccination stuff fits right in somehow.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Yet another criminal probe into Chris Christie:

http://www.ibtimes.com/chris-christie-administration-target-new-federal-criminal-probe-1806644

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mike Huckabee talks about those anti-dancing columns he wrote when he was a teenager:

quote:

Huckabee said he found it funny people were focusing on his old columns, specifically one in which he wrote Christians shouldn’t dance, when at the same time other potential Republican candidates were addressing past drug use and drinking.

“Well it was basically like—you know—I couldn’t say that it was prohibited but I wasn’t sure that it was good for a person’s witness. Anyway, the funniest thing, I mean, I read this and I laughed out loud and I said, while other candidates are being outed for their teenage drug use, their teenage alcohol use, their teenage partying hard, doing all sorts of destructive things like painting graffiti on bridges. The scandal with me is that I wrote a column at age 17 telling Christian young people to live a godly life. So, I mean, I just had to say, is this really controversial? I’d much rather have to defend this than say, yes, I used to regularly be apart of the choom gang. It’s just bizarre.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Actually Mike the funniest thing is that you think anyone agrees with you on this point, and also that you seem to not be recanting this "anti-dancing" stance at all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Man, it's gonna be great when the Supreme Court rules that gay people can dance at their weddings.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Man, it's gonna be great when the Supreme Court rules that gay people can dance at their weddings.
Exactly how does one poison a dance floor?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

DaveWoo posted:

Mike Huckabee talks about those anti-dancing columns he wrote when he was a teenager:

No honey, it's not controversial, it's that it makes look like you were a loony weirdo and the fact that you think it is controversial today makes you look like you are still a loony weirdo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Three Olives posted:

No honey, it's not controversial, it's that it makes look like you were a loony weirdo and the fact that you think it is controversial today makes you look like you are still a loony weirdo.

He knows the mayor from Footloose was the bad guy right?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
1: What does 'choom' mean? (ok apparently it means something to do with weed)
2: It's bad for someone's witness? do they just take words and use them and assume everyone knows what this means? Witness means someone who saw something, or the act of seeing something (and apparently proof). How can dancing be bad for a witness?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

redreader posted:

1: What does 'choom' mean? (ok apparently it means something to do with weed)
2: It's bad for someone's witness? do they just take words and use them and assume everyone knows what this means? Witness means someone who saw something, or the act of seeing something (and apparently proof). How can dancing be bad for a witness?

1. It's a reference to Obama's group of college friends who smoked weed
2. In Christian circles it's used as in "Bearing witness", as in if someone sees you dancing you will be a less effective example of a good Christian for the purposes of turning other people into Christians. It doesn't make a lot of sense but I blame them more than me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This vaccination issue cropping up in the GOP primaries is just the wildest thing. Rick Perry gets to position himself as the adult in the room.

quote:

“I think governors, elected officials, people in positions of authority and power and influence, should use those positions to make sure that the people they either represent or have the opportunity to work for are as healthy as they can be,” he said. “Obviously vaccines are a very important part of that.”

Perry said that when he came into office, “our vaccination rate in Texas was 65 percent. When I left two weeks ago, it was 95 percent.”

"We know that vaccines are a very, very important tool to keep our citizens safe," Perry said. "I think it’s important for us to stand up and say, ‘You need to vaccinate your children. You need to do everything you can to keep them and the other children and the people they come into contact with safe.’”

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I wonder how he feels about the HPV vaccine in 2015.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Actually Mike the funniest thing is that you think anyone agrees with you on this point, and also that you seem to not be recanting this "anti-dancing" stance at all.

I'm opposed to Christians dancing, too. For the straight white males, at least.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

Or a typical small church southern baptist.

e: Actually these days even they've lightened up on it. It's mostly the primitives and some of the free-willers who still look down on it. The foot washers basically.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Nameless_Steve posted:

I'm opposed to Christians dancing, too. For the straight white males, at least.

*does the little "I'm squishing a cockroach" leg move*

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Intel&Sebastian posted:

2. In Christian circles it's used as in "Bearing witness", as in if someone sees you dancing you will be a less effective example of a good Christian for the purposes of turning other people into Christians. It doesn't make a lot of sense but I blame them more than me.

Witnesses get stichnesses.

True story: I only voted for Obama because of the choom gang and other various stories from his high school days.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Haha well down this is great.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

This vaccination issue cropping up in the GOP primaries is just the wildest thing. Rick Perry gets to position himself as the adult in the room.

While leaving the interview Perry asked "Why are people asking so many questions about the things we use on Death Row prisoners?", but was quickly rushed away.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Internet Webguy posted:

Witnesses get stichnesses.

True story: I only voted for Obama because of the choom gang and other various stories from his high school days.

Remember in 2008 when the Very Serious people were asking if Obama was "too cool" to be president? Good times, man.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*does the little "I'm squishing a black child" leg move*

The most conservative of dad dances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

Exactly how does one poison a dance floor?

- Chicken Dance
- Macarena
- That one stupid loving song they play in every single god drat wedding.

• Locked thread