Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Banning Subaru people from the garage this weekend.

Maybe I'll actually have time to work on the Jeep's cooling system now. Maybe shoot the AK finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

skylineboy08 posted:

I paid someone to do this. :v:

I did this as babys first mechanic job on my 850. It wasn't too bad. I still have to get that lifter tick sorted. :effort:

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

MRC48B posted:

I still have to get that lifter tick sorted. :effort:

same. it's the oil sump gasket seals on the bottom of the block. It actually has solid lifters. or you could just put 20% lucas in it like I did. it runs like a dream heh.

adiabatic when are you installing that dana rear end. i want to come drink beer and watch.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Gotta get it from Kastein first. We're planning poo poo out but it may be 4 or 5 months before it's down here one way or another.

Fits perfectly with my timeline of unfucking it, letting the girlfriend get tired of it enough to allow me to make it manual, and actually finding parts for it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Y'all are missing the point that a PCV valve is supposed to look like this:

Not that horse-poo poo German hot mess.
I just found this beautiful signature on someone's profile on another forum:

quote:

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Hey I just had a roommate move in and FILL my garage with his poo poo to the point that I can't even walk in through the garage door, let alone get my truck in there.

Could I borrow your lift for an hour while I do an oil change and check my rear brakes? (Ironically I had just bought a replacement jack to do this.)
I'll bring beer and my own tools.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sure thing. Tomorrow afternoon good?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Sure thing. Tomorrow afternoon good?

Sounds good to me. I'll text you in the morning.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I banned all Subarus from the garage this weekend, so I could get some work done on my own cars.

Got underway with the coolant flush in the Comanche:

Look at that beautiful coolant:

GnarlyCharlie4u came by with his SportTrac for an oil change and to inspect the rear brakes:

We found another slight issue as well:

A Subaru came by to swap lowering springs:

Then another one showed up:

:sigh:

Here's a bonus pic of my girlfriend's dog looking majestic in my backyard:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
My truck looks hilariously large on that lift.

I think that leak might be worse than I thought. I can hear gears meshing on the highway.
Also I think my brand new front wheel bearings might be what is causing the "tire noise" I was talking about. It's starting to sound/feel exactly like it did before I replaced them. :ohdear:

And yeah about those subarus...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You banned all Subaru's from the garage and two of them still showed up?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They had sob stories :ohdear:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Look, I'm a sucker for a DGM LGT (*cough* like my 08 *cough*) but what the gently caress is a sob story about installing lowering springs? Also, is the word DOOR MAT tattoo'ed upon your brow?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Rates vary, Currency is Beer: A Subaru Came by.
:lol: they always do. Jealous of your garage so just having a laugh. But gently caress subarus and hondas ( I would include VW and audi group too but that would be rude).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 9, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ssjonizuka posted:

Look, I'm a sucker for a DGM LGT (*cough* like my 08 *cough*) but what the gently caress is a sob story about installing lowering springs? Also, is the word DOOR MAT tattoo'ed upon your brow?

Not cool man. He's doing a service I would love to have around my area. No need to beat him up for having a heart. Sheesh.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Coredump posted:

Not cool man. He's doing a service I would love to have around my area. No need to beat him up for having a heart. Sheesh.

Sarcasm may not be totally evident. He's a true good guy, and it's cool he's willing to help so many people out - as if that wasn't totally evident by his AISS gift to me. :3:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Definitely becoming my old shop owner :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

It could be SAAB stories. :rimshot:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ssjonizuka posted:

Sarcasm may not be totally evident. He's a true good guy, and it's cool he's willing to help so many people out - as if that wasn't totally evident by his AISS gift to me. :3:

Oh my bad, missed it completely. Carry on.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Was absolutely cool with both of them showing up. I just thought it was funny how I can't seem to keep them out. Googling "Subaru Repellent" gives me nothing.

Lowering spring guy was some excited kid who wanted to learn about cars and knew nothing, and how do you pass that up :3:

Second guy was totally a sob story though. "Come on man I'll just use your jack stands!"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

... Googling "Subaru Repellent" gives me nothing....

http://www.amazon.com/NEOPlex-Mitsubishi-Automotive-Logo-Flag/dp/B002NWRJ0W ?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Subaru owners are the biggest loving freeloaders.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

That attracts a much worse crowd. The kind that leaves fluid everywhere.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

also Subaru turbos are much easier to deal with then Shmevo turdbos.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

th vwls hv scpd posted:

lol, have this hanging in my basement currently. cant wait to bring the talon over :v:

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 10, 2015

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

streetlamp posted:

lol, have this hanging in my basement currently. cant wait to bring the talon over :v:

I'm currently waiting on the epoxy in my garage to cure. Then I get to paint it and drag my TSi over here so I can get it fixed and drive it again. Oil stains on concrete are a given with that car. Epoxy should make the mess easy to clean.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Finished flushing the Comanche's cooling system. It was gross and dirty as poo poo and now it's just a dull green. I'll probably run it like that for a bit then replace the water pump and tstat and do another flush.

Super easy to flush, by the way. Jeeps own.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Finished flushing the Comanche's cooling system. It was gross and dirty as poo poo and now it's just a dull green. I'll probably run it like that for a bit then replace the water pump and tstat and do another flush.

Super easy to flush, by the way. Jeeps own.

Did you do the rear wheels up on ramps/remove gauge temp sensor/fill reservoir until coolant bubbles out thing? My understanding is that is the proper way to fill/bleed the closed system.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

No but that sounds like a lot of fun. I let the engine get up to operating temperature then shut it off, and that seemed to dislodge the massive bubble. I also had the reservoir overflow hose vertical with a funnel on it so I could have a bleed hole and a fill hole.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

No but that sounds like a lot of fun. I let the engine get up to operating temperature then shut it off, and that seemed to dislodge the massive bubble. I also had the reservoir overflow hose vertical with a funnel on it so I could have a bleed hole and a fill hole.

When I flushed/refilled mine I couldn't get the ~2.5 gallons it supposedly requires in, so I figured there was an air pocket and started reading. Your method is probably fine, but when you do the thermostat/water pump you might try this:

• elevate back of Jeep until the front of the engine is visibly lower than the rear. Uncap resevoir, drain system, reconnect lower hose etc.
  • Clean up the area around the gauge temp sensor so gunk doesn't fall into the head, and then remove the sensor (Renix has separate sensors for the gauge and ECU). A new sensor is only $13 on RockAuto (Standard Motor # TS219) if you're in the mood to replace it
  • pour coolant mix into the reservoir tank until it flows out the temp sensor hole; as soon as it does screw the sensor back in.
  • continue filling until reservoir is at half; system should now be fully bled and ready to go.

I followed that method after I replaced my freeze/block plugs and haven't seen the temp rise much above 210 since (in CA heat). Before I was nearly maxing the gauge on mountain passes, but that was probably mostly due to the compromised freeze plugs bleeding everywhere.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 16, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Going to have to try that when I put in my new water pump, thermostat, and heater core soon.

Work has been delayed, however, due to unacceptably harsh weather conditions:

Shut up NEAI this is Virginia it's not supposed to do this

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just wanted to let this thread know that I've travelled to glorious Sweden and a sixpack of Dale's Pale Ale is now sitting in my fridge.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Your shed looks like a miniature version of my house.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Shut up NEAI this is Virginia it's not supposed to do this

Hey

Hey

Mr sno drift rally service. Stop being a pussy thats like half an inch of snow.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

<3

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dude I left Michigan because of this poo poo. One year of Sno*Drift service was enough to make me leave the state entirely.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Snow report: Still snow.

Intermission: I got a dog.

His name is Badger.

He's pretty derpy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hell yeah new dog! Gotta even out all these cat-havin' suckas.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hell yeah new dog! Gotta even out all these cat-havin' suckas.

Cats suck. Dog supremacy.

Been collecting parts for the Comanche:

Waiting for the heater core and I'm all set to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

He's pretty derpy.

Son of a bitch, get a derpy dog after I leave, I'm disappointed. Thanks again for the place to crash and nice garage, I want your lift.