Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
and i dunno i think it looks p cool but admittingly i like weird looking stuff thats not pointy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

thread king supreme posted:

WOW!!!

I'm seeing post after post from people (most of whom I have raced and hung out with for a LONG time) accusing me of saying things I simply have not said.

Someone even said I have Aspergers Syndrome! Because I reply to posts directed at me? Because I disagree with opinions posted in reply to mine? Well, I should count myself lucky, at least I haven't been accused of being a troll yet!

Have you ever seen The Life of Brian? Remember the song "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life?" That's what I'm doing with this iteration of the XBox and this racing game. I'm not crying about the sky falling, I'm just saying, "Look at this series, at this developer. Have a little faith!" It's still, as they say, "Early days."

For the record, I've never said or implied the following assertions that have been attributed to me:

"Oh, so because old games were great, a new one is free from doubts and criticisms?"

Nope. All I have said is that because the old games were great, the future ones could be as well. This one could be, too. It's too soon to say!

"Saying we can't criticize something because we don't work there is idiotic."

Of course it is! Saying you can attribute causation for the current state of the product based on videos, a few words from a press release or two; and comparisons to what came on the previous generation IS idiotic, because it's based on speculation and is steeped in tons of negativity.
I happen to be of the opinion that it's a little early to take every criticism at face value. If I'm wrong, I'll come right in here and say so. I promised.

"This whole 'Not up to snuff' thing they trotted out is bullshit."

Pure speculation. It's not worth debating without more data. I see no reason to doubt it, but I'm being "the glass half-full" right now. This could change.

"Less tracks, less cars, not a graphical improvement, less features, evidence of money-grabbing DLC and tokens."

This has all been covered ad nauseum, except for "Not a graphical improvement." I can't comment on the graphics or the money until I experience it myself. Until then I will make few judgements. If I think F4 looks better than 5, I'll say so. I play a lot of PC games, and I often do without AA at high-res, especially if the framerate is high. Anisotropic filtering is important, of course, but I haven't seen a screenshot that makes me cringe and curse Turn10 yet, much less a video. I guess I'm just a fanboy (or a troll). That's what you're all thinking, right?

"This isn't your own personal echo chamber."

It isn't???? This is what you're telling ME??
What gave it away? The "DOGPILE ON FAUSTUS?" Or the "WE MUST RESPOND TO HIS EVERY POST WITH THE OBVIOUS EVIL THAT IS BEING PERPETRATED UPON US NON-ADOPTERS BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A STUPID SHITHEAD WHO CAN'T COUNT CARS AND TRACKS AND MONEY" sentiment that is taking over this thread?? Here I was thinking that this was my bully-pulpit, and you all were my rapt disciples. Boy is MY face red!

"This latest version was gutted, often for no good reason and people are understandably upset about it."

What counts as a good reason for you? I'll be as upset about it as anyone else; but I am not attributing anything yet to naked greed and incompetence, as so many of folks here are. I'm actually willing to sit back, wait, and think before I make a judgement.

"It's a completely rushed money grab with ludicrously priced microtransactions."

Go back through this thread and count how many times I have stated in plain English (American English... sorry, Brits and Aussies and Canucks) that this game is suffering terribly from console launch-itis. Early-adopters of new hardware and games get the short end and almost always have. I have not been in the least unrealistic about this. Why are you all still beating me up about this?

"It isn't as simple as them removing some things because it's a rushed launch game; there are plenty of very obvious things they have changed or removed because they want suckers like you to give them more money."

I can see what has been removed, but why should your interpretation of the motivation behind the sad changes be the only possible interpretation? I want the new game and console, so I'm a sucker. Fine. I'm sure you never spend your disposable income on things you don't need and therefore are perfectly justified in calling me a sucker.

"Your guitar analogy is hosed too, a more apt analogy would be asking in musicians lounge why the only new guitar fender sells is now a 5 string, and why they're selling a 6th string upgrade kit for twice the price of the guitar."

So my "guitar analogy" in unworkable, but your "guitar analogy" captures the spirit of this situation perfectly. Well, poo poo. gently caress me, man. I tried.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Faustus, you've had enough money to buy multiple superstrats. Is it possible to save enough money to get the Martin restored? You described some extreme "modifications", but money talks and it may be possible.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bread Dragon posted:

Faustus, you've had enough money to buy multiple superstrats. Is it possible to save enough money to get the Martin restored? You described some extreme "modifications", but money talks and it may be possible.

and then give it to your father for his birthday? :3

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Smash it Smash hit posted:

but it sounds good tho (besides the bridge thing i guess) so, i guess its okay? Like if you recorded with it, no one will know how it looks. Who knows maybe if it was real pretty 5,000 dollar or whatever guitar then maybe someone would have stolen it before it got to you? Maybe you should be thankful it looks like poo poo!
I am so very, very thankful he gifted this guitar to me. We all simply agree that it should have been treated with more respect. It was a long time ago and I just feel bad about what happened to it.

and i dunno i think it looks p cool but admittingly i like weird looking stuff thats not pointy.
I wish we agreed with you. Very nice of you to say, though. Thank you.

Bread Dragon posted:

I don't know. If I told the whole story to Martin Guitars they might make it play (like i said, it already sounds amazing. I'll post a clip if you you guys want me to.) But the cosmetic offenses are forty years old and I doubt they would restore it. Who knows? Maybe they would see it passed down to me and be interested in restoring it? I'm not counting on that.

and then give it to your father for his birthday? :3
Dad doesn't want it back. He wants me to have it. My Dad respects my guitar playing and he shows it the best way he knows.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think it's pretty ignorant that you don't know or care what a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model guitar is

You are correct. I don't.

Dr. Faustus posted:

and I think it's incredibly insulting that you've ignored every word I've typed about it being a family heirloom that means more to me than its street value, just to burn me for being a shallow money-grubbing insolent rear end in a top hat.

Also, since you ignored this, I'll repeat it: My own father regrets what they did to that instrument and would not do it knowing what they know now. Money has nothing to do with anything. It was an original, gorgeous, antique guitar and they made some bad decisions leading to people saying how ugly it is (it is ugly) without understanding it's a real Depression-era Martin acoustic. I don't consider it just a thing.

I'm done with loving morons like you.

I'll say I probably was little harsh with you but, I didn't ignore or miss anything you said. You are saying it plays amazing, is invaluable to you, and was played with more meaning than any instrument owned by anyone in this thread. Then you turn around and bitch that your father was an idiot and you want it restored to its original because ZOMG its SOOOO VALUABLE which is just silly to me.

Your story is cool dude. IMHO you should leave it alone as is. I think that has way more meaning and the story is so much better if left this way. You can display it as the guitar from the story because every dent, scratch, and pick guard from the story is still there. If you restore it to its original condition it loses all of that. I wouldn't care if it was a Martin or a Sears special. That guitar has character - we may call it the butthole guitar in this thread but, it obviously means something to you. Restoring it would only impress someone who wanted to buy it. Maybe your dad wants it restored. - Ok I get that. But maybe he looks at it and its a stupid mistake but, it was his stupid mistake? you know?

Sorry I engaged your sperg drive to warp speed by taking the piss in a thread about stupid guitars..

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's a meaningful butthole guitar, and that's what counts

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
OMG, lots of text bricks about some dude's guitar.

That Martin looks '60's as hell. It may not be cool now but give it another few decades and it will just be an interesting part of the guitar's history and not such a tragedy. At least somebody tried to make it nice instead of scratching peace symbols and poo poo into it.

Or get Martin to restore it properly and it's still an awesome family heirloom and has lost nothing if it still reminds you of your family. And you'd probably show it off more.

Stop walking into traps Faustus.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
The other option with the Martin is to double down and add some cactus and horseshoe decals and start wearing bolos all the time.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Just get a can of black spray from a gas station and punk up that motherfucker

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
its cool that your dad bought that guitar from the lesson book guy and i guess less cool that he slapped another pickguard on it but whatever, would you sell it if your dad gave it to you factory conditions? its kinda goofy but in an endearing way so who gives a gently caress

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think it's pretty ignorant that you don't know or care what a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model guitar is, and I think it's incredibly insulting that you've ignored every word I've typed about it being a family heirloom that means more to me than its street value, just to burn me for being a shallow money-grubbing insolent rear end in a top hat.

Also, since you ignored this, I'll repeat it: My own father regrets what they did to that instrument and would not do it knowing what they know now. Money has nothing to do with anything. It was an original, gorgeous, antique guitar and they made some bad decisions leading to people saying how ugly it is (it is ugly) without understanding it's a real Depression-era Martin acoustic. I don't consider it just a thing.

I'm done with loving morons like you.

it's a guitar

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I like guitars

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
alt-post It was an original, gorgeous, new posting persona and they made some bad decisions leading to people saying how bad the posts are (they are bad) without understanding they are real Depression-era Dr Faustus posts.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Damnit, Faustus!

It's like watching someone fall off the wagon.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

W424 posted:

Just get a can of black spray from a gas station and punk up that motherfucker

gently caress yeah and a nice active pup so you can play some djent with it

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

gently caress yeah and a nice active pup so you can play some djent with it

Hmmm bare knuckle aftermath/warpig?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

honestly nothing can be lost by just asking Martin what their opinion on restoring it would be

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Allen Wren posted:

honestly nothing can be lost by just asking Martin what their opinion on restoring it would be

is there anything in particular about Martins that makes them so drat expensive?

maybe i'm just a philistine but i've played a new $4500 martin and i liked the sound of my cort six string better

(worth mentioning that that cort harmonizes with itself amazingly, i think it's a fluke but the body practically hums like a tuning fork 90% of the time, it's great)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

W424 posted:

Hmmm bare knuckle aftermath/warpig?

juggernauts idiot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

real talk BKPs are great tho

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dewgy posted:

is there anything in particular about Martins that makes them so drat expensive?

maybe i'm just a philistine but i've played a new $4500 martin and i liked the sound of my cort six string better

(worth mentioning that that cort harmonizes with itself amazingly, i think it's a fluke but the body practically hums like a tuning fork 90% of the time, it's great)

Shots fired. Seriously, I would give anything to see you post this on TGP to watch people literally have megaFaustus style meltdowns.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

unlawfulsoup posted:

Shots fired. Seriously, I would give anything to see you post this on TGP to watch people literally have megaFaustus style meltdowns.

I'll admit i'm also biased because the only Martin i own is a backpacker mandolin and that thing is a piece of shiiiiiiit

e: they are local to me tho and i've considered applying there, but i like the job i have too much

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Stux posted:

real talk BKPs are great tho

*nods solemnly towards nailbomb*

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
stories of regret

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
as if you've seen megafaustus yet

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

e-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feysNVoeC7k

Snowy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 6, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

i wonder if you did the same thing under lexan and didn't glue the casings down, could you make the world's clankiest guitar? would shell casings get picked up by the pickups?

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

sup

does anyone know some good websites for musician interviews/podcasts? i listened to this amazing billy corgan interview a while back and i'd like to listen to more stuff like that

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WOAH

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

That luthier must possess a special knowledge of a profound mix of pride, shame, and horror such as was felt by the principles of the Manhattan Project.

I appreciate how well a thing I hate was made. That's the only way I can describe my feelings.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Not sure if this will work as I'm on my phone and mostly asleep.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204867338394655&fref=nf

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vorik posted:

does anyone know some good websites for musician interviews/podcasts? i listened to this amazing billy corgan interview a while back and i'd like to listen to more stuff like that

INFOWARS.COM

City of Tampa posted:

That Martin looks '60's as hell. It may not be cool now but give it another few decades and it will just be an interesting part of the guitar's history and not such a tragedy. At least somebody tried to make it nice instead of scratching peace symbols and poo poo into it.

funnily enough this is probably the most valuable martin in existence

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 6, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

INFOWARS.COM

Is that Willie Nelson's?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

comes along bort posted:

INFOWARS.COM

and it still makes me twitch! that style of headstock means nylon strings to me

hnnnng

also poo poo would i ever play the hell out of that, damage and all

e: or are those just ancient rear end folk strings? if so dear god, i want to play that crusty bastard

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

It is indeed a nylon string guitar.

And it's probably going to wind up in the Smithsonian. Which is definitely where it belongs once Willie eventually shuffles off.

poo poo, now I'm sad thinking about that actually happening. :(

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i put all of dr. faustus' posts into a wordcloud and this was the result

pastebin bonus:

http://pastebin.com/i2rKqFMD

can you handle the faustus????

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 6, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
dogman?????

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dewgy posted:

dogman?????

i think it's by some lame band called knight's x or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
great loving autism ibanez dogman

• Locked thread