Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

liquid courage posted:

as soon as someone mentioned high school sim bit, i lost interest. sounds dumb as hell. digital devil saga looks like it might be more my speed, i guess.

DDS is pretty rad but it doesn't mechanically play like any of the others since there is no demon fusion or capturing so it might be misleading if that's where you start. You need both games because they're one story and the first half provides 0 conclusion when it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Persona 3 and 4 are actually pretty good. I don't like 3 as much (didn't care for the characters, there is EXTREMELY little to no plot development until the very end of the game, etc.), but 4 is cool. 4 is more along the lines of a murder mystery, you are gradually fed clues as the story progresses, and at one point you have to actually solve the mystery or you get the bad ending (the game makes it fairly obvious, though). The combat is pretty fun, it's basically a modified press turn. Instead of demons for your party members you have your friends who level up alongside you and learn new abilities. Their persona's don't change, but you can freely swap personas during combat and outside of combat, and they function like traditional SMT demons (plenty of fusing and customization is possible). The high school sim part isn't really accurate, honestly. There are several social links in the game, where you basically spend time with certain characters and see a little visual novel style scene. As you improve your social links your ability to fuse personas improves, and for your party members they unlock new abilities in combat. Plus I think 4 has great visual design and music.

They're not on par with main line SMT games, but Persona is a pretty fun side series that I think you should at least give a shot. Note that both 3 and 4 have really long intros before you can actually do anything interesting.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Is a persona at least as cool as a jojo stand or is it just ff8 all over again

Is talking to people hypergay like it is in star ocean

If I'm over Japan is it possible to give a poo poo about the setting

How is the writing compared to other jrpgs, and what makes it more compelling to play through than other modern games in the genre

Did twewy already say everything persona wants to tell me

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
delete thread

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
somebody's gotta ask the hard questions

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

thuly posted:

Is a persona at least as cool as a jojo stand or is it just ff8 all over again

Is talking to people hypergay like it is in star ocean

If I'm over Japan is it possible to give a poo poo about the setting

How is the writing compared to other jrpgs, and what makes it more compelling to play through than other modern games in the genre

Did twewy already say everything persona wants to tell me

They're not as cool as JoJo stands, but the Persona series is pretty clearly influenced by JoJo.

Talking to people is not that bad. The one thing that's pretty dumb is the lead translator for Persona absolutely refuses to translate honorifics for some reason.

The setting is more about a small rural town than specifically Japan or anything. I'd say it is comparable to part 4's Morioh.

The writing, for 4 at least was enough to keep my interest the whole way through. The mystery is pretty well designed, and all the main characters are likable on at least some level. It's definitely above average.

I still haven't really played twewy since I'm a stupid idiot, sorry.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It's really hard to describe Persona without sounding like a huge idiot, just play it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
new thread rule. you can only ask if the game is good and you can only reply to the question with yes its good or no it isnt.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Doctor Goat posted:

It's really hard to describe Persona without sounding like a huge idiot, just play it.

it feels like everybody's played it except for me

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

new thread rule. you can only ask if the game is good and you can only reply to the question with yes its good or no it isnt.

no it isn't.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

rear end posted:

it feels like everybody's played it except for me

so play it dumbass

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Play the persona fighting games and Persona Q.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

is rogue galaxy for ps2 good?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I've heard no, but I haven't personally played it.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

liquid courage posted:

it's made by the dark cloud people, so it's probably above average, but with some execution problems.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

liquid courage posted:

I didn't get very far, but it had a cool art style but everything else was pretty forgettable. I remember it was easy to learn some ability that would basically 1shot every enemy group at the start of the game so I breezed through the early stuff. Maybe not using that would make it more interesting or something.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Oh. I mean, no it isn't.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

liquid courage posted:

as soon as someone mentioned high school sim bit, i lost interest. sounds dumb as hell. digital devil saga looks like it might be more my speed, i guess.

Funnily enough the high school sim stuff is the best part of the game because the dungeons are so bad. Play Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga games.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

are any of the FF games on steam worth buying? i've only ever beaten FFX

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frog Act posted:

are any of the FF games on steam worth buying? i've only ever beaten FFX

nine was very fun at the time and probably still fun now if you tolerate retro-gaming well. is that one on steam?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

nine was very fun at the time and probably still fun now if you tolerate retro-gaming well. is that one on steam?

there's III, IV, VII, and VIII

i remember trying to play VIII as a kid and absolutely hating it. III/IV are supposed to be really good right? these are ports of the DS version with updated graphics.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

liquid courage posted:

if you are going to play DDS, you have to get both of them to get the complete story

i recommend SMT: Nocturne, but if you have a ps3, you can get all of them for $10 a piece i think :mrgw:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Frog Act posted:

i remember trying to play VIII as a kid and absolutely hating it. III/IV are supposed to be really good right? these are ports of the DS version with updated graphics.

I really like 3 and 8. Wasn't so crazy on the DS version of 4, but I don't really like 4 much anyway. 7 is still a fun game. 13 and 13-2 have their flaws but honestly they're good and fun. 13 has a long and bad intro though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Funnily enough the high school sim stuff is the best part of the game because the dungeons are so bad. Play Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga games.

Thankfully P5 seems to be addressing this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also I bought Nocturne having never played a non-P3/P4 SMT game, what should I expect?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Looper posted:

Also I bought Nocturne having never played a non-P3/P4 SMT game, what should I expect?

It's pretty different. Party members are disposable demons. You get a lot more customization of how your main character develops. I think Nocturne is harder in a good way. Use fog breath and pierce.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Looper posted:

Don't sacrifice or release the Pixie you get at the beginning

You can fuse her into different things, but just make sure you keep that demon in your party

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm excited

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frog Act posted:

III is garbage. It is an amazing remake though because despite making so few changes they are all so catastrophically bad that despite being 20 years newer its worse than the NES original.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

is the newest Thief worth playing? like, if we pretend it didn't have some big legacy behind it, is it a decent game?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

BKPR posted:

is the newest Thief worth playing? like, if we pretend it didn't have some big legacy behind it, is it a decent game?

No.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
Are FFIV and FFIII on Steam any good? There's a sale all weekend and I was like wondering cause I played FFIV on the DS and it was super fun and challenging. A Good Pre-Bedtime game. How do the Steam versions compare?

Barudak posted:

III is garbage. It is an amazing remake though because despite making so few changes they are all so catastrophically bad that despite being 20 years newer its worse than the NES original.

does this mean no i should not buy them

script kitty fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 6, 2015

Barudak
May 7, 2007

script kitty posted:

Are FFIV and FFIII on Steam any good? There's a sale all weekend and I was like wondering cause I played FFIV on the DS and it was super fun and challenging. A Good Pre-Bedtime game. How do the Steam versions compare?

does this mean no i should not buy them

The game is bad due to a variety of fundamental design decisions so flagrant and clear cut that it will blow your mind that most were added for the remake.

Do not buy FF3

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

BKPR posted:

it is bad and i regret buying it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

is sunless sea good, or is it bad? please let me know

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Is Nuclear Throne any good?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

nuclear throne is good

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
planetside 2??? :shrug:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

is sunless sea good, or is it bad? please let me know

it's very bad. the economy's super hosed up and you need to grind like a motherfucker to do anything. the devs are aware of that and their answer's "lol you're playing the game wrong, see ya" and occasionally patching out any way people find to make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

basically it's gbs steampunk IF that's pretending to be a game and doing it very badly

• Locked thread