Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The_Final_Stand posted:

Is there a particular reason that every enemy in Crown of the Old Iron King takes about half as much damage from sorceries/hexes as everything in the main game save bosses, Ironclads, and those gits at the Earthen Peak with the hammers?
Example: with 70 INT and ATT, a +5 Magic Staff of Wisdom, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow, I deal ~630 damage to Manikins, and ~230 damage to aforementioned hammer gits.
[...]
This has been a Dark Souls rant. I hope you enjoyed reading.

The enemies in the DLCs - all three of them, I believe - are just highly resistant to elemental damage. You're probably going to want to grab a pure physical weapon to carry around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Couldn't you use whichever infuse it is that scales physical damage with int?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

tower of druaga posted:

Couldn't you use whichever infuse it is that scales physical damage with int?

That's Enchanted. As I understand it, Enchanted is never worth it. You're better off leaving it uninfused or infusing it with raw, even with high Int.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

I think that's generally referring to the inclusion of Lifegems for between-encounter healing, rather than the Estus system, which does make the game easier in some respects. My suspicion is that the excessive tracking and "multiple strong enemy" setups were intended to counteract this, such that, even if you got hit by tracking that felt "unfair," Lifegems would cushion the blow.
I doubt that they thought, "Hmm, we're giving them a lot of healing items, so let's give enemies the tracking of a heat-seeking missile."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thought process behind lifegems:

We want the game to be harder -> Let's make estus more valuable and rare -> But people will complain if they can't eat any damage that doesn't one-shot them for breakfast anymore

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
From the DkS FB Page:

quote:

Who are the Forlorn? There are new secrets to uncover and a whole world to rediscover in DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin!

So I'm pretty sure the Forlorn are Darkwraiths.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Meatsicle posted:

From the DkS FB Page:

But that armor.
Best fashion souls.

Infinitely better than the stupid dark armor set.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

looking forward to the secomd red people covenant Sad Wraiths Of The Soul From A Long Ago Time And Place

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
As a coop summon, do you not see the white/golden glow on other summons? If you do, are there items to appear no-glow-human (exactly like the host) as a summon?

I haven't played MP in a while so i can't remember.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As of the Ivory King DLC, yes.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/ring-of-the-living

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh, a Frigid Outskirts treasure. :v: That explains why i haven't seen it used much. Thanks!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But that armor.
Best fashion souls.

Infinitely better than the stupid dark armor set.

Whoah man don't diss the emo Skeletor set.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just found my favorite moment of the expansions.

Run up a small house and turn a corner, a white phantom waves at me. My first reaction is "Oh gently caress no you don't" followed by me chasing his rear end. He jumps down and I lose him, not being a blistering idiot I look for him on the top area with my poison arrows ready to go. Grimy little poo poo was hiding in a corner, I proceed to poison his rear end and he tries to climb the ladder. I charge him with my 2H2R attack and knock him off. It was super satisfying.

They do some really interesting stuff in this expansion.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Oh, a Frigid Outskirts treasure. :v: That explains why i haven't seen it used much. Thanks!

Yeah, it's very near the end too, so have fun with that.

It's the labeled red dot furthest lower-right on this map: http://www.kouryakubo.com/darksouls2/CAC9B3B0A4CEC0E3B8B6.html

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Vaati posted a video with a bunch of direct feed footage of the PS4 version along with his impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3vnui8OyQ

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

AllisonByProxy posted:

Vaati posted a video with a bunch of direct feed footage of the PS4 version along with his impressions:

At the end of this video you can see a couple of hollows wailing on a Last Giant tree. That's unusual and a weird addition.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

At the end of this video you can see a couple of hollows wailing on a Last Giant tree. That's unusual and a weird addition.

Makes sense, though. Those hollows were once Royal Soldiers who fought the Giants so they might still with their limited consciousness equate the giant-like appearance as something they must fight. Even if it's just the corpse of a giant who died in that spot.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I gave up on Dark Souls 1 like a little baby after the Taurus Demon. I played through DS2 last month and while it was tough, I feel like I get the gist of these games now, so I'm reinstalling the first game. Are there any major things I need to relearn or be aware of before jumping in? I'm mostly worried about spending the majority of the game hollow since the WSS won't give humanity anymore and I relied heavily on summons to get through DS2.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

I gave up on Dark Souls 1 like a little baby after the Taurus Demon. I played through DS2 last month and while it was tough, I feel like I get the gist of these games now, so I'm reinstalling the first game. Are there any major things I need to relearn or be aware of before jumping in? I'm mostly worried about spending the majority of the game hollow since the WSS won't give humanity anymore and I relied heavily on summons to get through DS2.

I dunno but try fighting some bosses in dks2 solo now that you're more comfortable with the game. But remember that dks1 is "speedier".

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Lester Shy posted:

The path to the DLC in DS1 is really obscure, if you have it here is how you get there:

1) Kill the hydra (it's a water dragon with a lot of heads)
2) Close game/Die/Reload the area and go along the shoreline where the hydra was, past a waterfall, and at the back of the shallow water part there is a big golden golem, kill it
3) Talk to what comes out
4) Close/Die/Reload and go find the summon sign along the shoreline where the Hydra was
5) Talk to the summon (4 and 5 might actually be optional I'm not sure, but it's good to talk anyway)
6) When you get to Duke's Archives kill the big golem in one of the early rooms, you will get a broken pendant item
7) Go back to where you found the big golden golem and search the area

Yup.
PS if you don't have the DLC you should buy it, but I assume you're on PC in which case you have it automatically.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
DS1 feels harder than DS2 to me, although I don't know how much of that is unfamiliarity with dualshock vs actually different mechanics. The thing is, DS2's main source of difficulty is boss battles and difficult individual encounters which can take you from full health to dead very quickly if you gently caress up. Notorious example of this being the gangbang in Amana right before the Rhoy's Resting Place fogwall. Apart from that though lifegems are reasonably cheap and let you bullshit your way through just about anything without doing it properly, there's no limit on how many lifegems you can carry, after all. You can't do that in DS1, if you're out of Estus then you have to go back to the bonfire and try again.

e: poo poo, this thread moves quickly

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

IGgy IGsen posted:

Makes sense, though. Those hollows were once Royal Soldiers who fought the Giants so they might still with their limited consciousness equate the giant-like appearance as something they must fight. Even if it's just the corpse of a giant who died in that spot.

I didn't think about that. I love From and little details like that. They went back in and thought "what can we do with this extra processing power of the PS4"?

"Make it so those dead soldiers hit that tree. Just do it, it's been bugging me"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

DS1 feels harder than DS2 to me, although I don't know how much of that is unfamiliarity with dualshock vs actually different mechanics. The thing is, DS2's main source of difficulty is boss battles and difficult individual encounters which can take you from full health to dead very quickly if you gently caress up. Notorious example of this being the gangbang in Amana right before the Rhoy's Resting Place fogwall. Apart from that though lifegems are reasonably cheap and let you bullshit your way through just about anything without doing it properly, there's no limit on how many lifegems you can carry, after all. You can't do that in DS1, if you're out of Estus then you have to go back to the bonfire and try again.

e: poo poo, this thread moves quickly

Well I mean it's limited to 99, but that's a fuckin' shitload hell yeah.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AllisonByProxy posted:

As expected it looks identical. Maybe some resolution, AA and AF bumps, but that's it.

Called that poo poo.

This meme is especially appropriate for Dark Souls :cheeky:

My favorite DS comic will always be

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I kind of think it's more likely that the enemies are whacking at the tree because it's in their way. The video said he saw more patrolling enemies, so it's possible that the guys were patrolling, and some kind of bug or error caused them to get stuck on the tree. And that activates their normal "whack at poo poo that's in my way" that most enemies do in order to destroy urns or chairs or things so they can get at the player.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Meatsicle posted:

Huh.

I don't care about the "getting ripped off" debate since I was gifted Dark Souls II before it launched by a generous benefactor, but I could have sworn that the DX9 version was not supposed to have less story content, items, enemy/NPC types, et cetera.

Considering that an actual new weapon isn't in-game, I can't help but think that From is taking aim to shoot themselves in the foot PR-wise again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

My favorite DS comic will always be

All this comic ever does is remind me how high of a soapbox people stand on when it comes to the difficulty of the dreaded nebulous "modern video games".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah that comic is obnoxious as h*ck and smells its own farts, a lot

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

All this comic ever does is remind me how high of a soapbox people stand on when it comes to the difficulty of the dreaded nebulous "modern video games".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn7hHGQXxbE

Master Sergeant Shooter Sergeant Important Person of Sergeants Extreme

Blood screen, so real.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh man......... A YouTube video, of a bad game. Tbats not like my game, dark souls, which is hardco re and cool as hell, like me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I was also annoyed when criticizing modern games became mainstream. Really hurt my hipster cred.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My biggest question about Dark Souls 2, one that has never been answered no matter how much I combed through item descriptions and NPC conversations....

why are there petrified statues down by the fire longsword in forest of the fallen giants??????

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

CJacobs posted:

I'm not sure if there's a dumber thing to develop a superiority complex over than the types of video games you play.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

My biggest question about Dark Souls 2, one that has never been answered no matter how much I combed through item descriptions and NPC conversations....

why are there petrified statues down by the fire longsword in forest of the fallen giants??????

Because they probably had Basilisks down there to begin with and then changed their mind for whatever reason and replaced them with one of those fire toads at the last minute.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

SHISHKABOB posted:

I figured they were made of ash, rather than stone. Victims of the Flame Salamanders.

Maybe the devs wanted the effect to be applied to players, but since that players would just be dying in the same spot they put in some NPC victims instead. They warn you about the imminent badness.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I kind of think it's more likely that the enemies are whacking at the tree because it's in their way. The video said he saw more patrolling enemies, so it's possible that the guys were patrolling, and some kind of bug or error caused them to get stuck on the tree. And that activates their normal "whack at poo poo that's in my way" that most enemies do in order to destroy urns or chairs or things so they can get at the player.

Dark Souls continues to be wildly successful at getting its players to make up its own lore.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Zaphod42 posted:

As expected it looks identical. Maybe some resolution, AA and AF bumps, but that's it.

Called that poo poo

Yeah, it's definitely darker in places but looks largely the same.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Biomute posted:

Yeah, I was also annoyed when criticizing modern games became mainstream. Really hurt my hipster cred.

There is an incredibly high variance in difficulty and skill ceiling in all video games modern or otherwise and if you judge all video games based on what you see at the top of the store shelves at your local Walmart then yeah maybe that's a fair criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

Yeah, it's definitely darker in places but looks largely the same.

Yeah maybe some SSAO? Doesn't even look like that.

On the other hand, it does look like they changed more enemy spawns than I was figuring. That's pretty cool.

"Expect actual Heide knights in Heide" How have I never thought about this before. I guess you don't see many Heide knights period, and they're kinda scattered around. Still you'd think there'd be ONE in Heide's tower.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 6, 2015