Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

KracKiwi posted:

Anyone have recommendations for bulk ordering of custom printed items (in our case, shot glasses) for favors? The places we found online so far have either bad reviews, or no reviews.

Find someone local. My mom does that for a living and can always beat the prices you find on online sites and can get better quality products. Google bar/bat mitzvahs favors or promotional items, see if there's anyone in your area you can go meet with, if they're anything like my mom they have a shitton of samples of all the usual favors you can get at parties/events/conventions. Plus supporting small business and all that good mojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Sport trophy type places might be able so help too - they'll probably have the gear for doing glass trophies but you might need to provide the shot glasses yourself.

Doing it locally could also let you check on one before they do the whole run, and save on shipping.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mirthdefect posted:

Wait till you get to menu-choices!

No son, we definitely need three meats on the buffet! Yes, we know it just makes it more likely that people will miss out on their first choice. What would we suggest? Well, we're going to veto beef because it's too heavy for a hot summers day wedding, and by the same token pork is too. We could have fish, but white fish is bland, and many people don't like salmon because it's too oily. So, that leaves lamb and chicken, which you've already got. But yes, definitely three different meats.

Also, even though everyone you've invited is an adult we don't think they'll be able to carry a plate that has lamb cutlets on it because they're just so tricksy and slidey!

I thought buffets were going out of style, every place in Mass said they were more expensive than plated meals.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought buffets were going out of style, every place in Mass said they were more expensive than plated meals.

New Zealand likes to do things a little differently. This makes using online US-centric resources really fun, because you'll see someone suggest something that is more or less the way we do things here only for ten thousand screeching furies to descend on them hollering about THAT'S A MAJOR FAUX-PAS AND HOW COULD YOU BE SO RUDE TO YOUR GUESTS?!

e: As an actual answer, I don't think it was even queried as most of the places we looked at - it was just assumed because that's what most everyone does. One place would only let you use one caterer (poo poo, and expensive) and they did plated meals but insisted everyone have the same thing.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 1, 2015

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

In my limited planning so far, I've found buffets are a hell of a lot cheaper. This is also in Massachusetts, but we are picking our own caterer, our venue didn't have one.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

In my limited planning so far, I've found buffets are a hell of a lot cheaper. This is also in Massachusetts, but we are picking our own caterer, our venue didn't have one.

I'm also in mass and yeah typically they are but this is not 100% universal in all venues.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We did a buffet and it was much cheaper than plated meals because they didn't need to bring as many staff members and there was less wasted food.

You will run into people who insist buffets are tacky but they can go eat a bag of dicks (from a dick buffet).

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We did a buffet and it was much cheaper than plated meals because they didn't need to bring as many staff members and there was less wasted food.

You will run into people who insist buffets are tacky but they can go eat a bag of dicks (from a dick buffet).

Yea gently caress that, any wedding I've been to I've liked the buffet better, there's generally more choices and more people can get what they want. Plus you can get seconds!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I dunno about the rest of the country, but in the south, buffets are pretty much the go to standard. Most assume you want it unless you say otherwise. I feel it just lends itself to more drinking to be honest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

couldcareless posted:

I dunno about the rest of the country, but in the south, buffets are pretty much the go to standard. Most assume you want it unless you say otherwise. I feel it just lends itself to more drinking to be honest.

That's traditionally been the point of weddings as well.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Choosing a ring is hard.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

EvilElmo posted:

Choosing a ring is hard.

Tell me about it. If you want something that looks classy but is cheap, try titanium rings. My local jeweler sells Forge rings for $200. They're my fallback choice if I can't find something large and ornate that I really like.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

LLSix posted:

Tell me about it. If you want something that looks classy but is cheap, try titanium rings. My local jeweler sells Forge rings for $200. They're my fallback choice if I can't find something large and ornate that I really like.

Oh I meant for her. Ring for me is easy. None

Wintir
Feb 2, 2015

Colder than a witch's tit
I had a sterling silver ring set because my husband and I didn't want to pay a lot for rings. The same prong on my engagement kept breaking. Every. Single. Time. After the fourth break, I stopped wearing the engagement ring. Then it got lost the last time I moved. I wasn't devastated because we planned to replace it at some point anyway. I didn't abuse my engagement ring. I took it off for sleeping, showering, household chores, etc. Was my old sterling silver ring a dud or is silver just like that? It seems like a lot of the interesting jewelry I like only comes in silver.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Wintir posted:

I had a sterling silver ring set because my husband and I didn't want to pay a lot for rings. The same prong on my engagement kept breaking. Every. Single. Time. After the fourth break, I stopped wearing the engagement ring. Then it got lost the last time I moved. I wasn't devastated because we planned to replace it at some point anyway. I didn't abuse my engagement ring. I took it off for sleeping, showering, household chores, etc. Was my old sterling silver ring a dud or is silver just like that? It seems like a lot of the interesting jewelry I like only comes in silver.

That is just silver, unfortunately. It isn't a very malleable metal so daily wear tends to lead to cracking.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My wedding is getting a bit closer so I thought I would start posting in this thread for some advice. As of now I have just sent out save the dates and have a very basic knot website. The wedding is in Sept of this year. We are having it on the Oregon coast in front of my grandparents house on the beach. I was kinda surprised that my girl suggested that. So. Does anyone have any tips for a beach wedding. The logistics are kinda tripping me out. Wedding will be on the beach. Reception, on the beach and porches of a couple houses. Food will be (hopefully) from a local taco truck parked in the driveway. DJ on the deck for a couple hours and then a bonfire on the beach for the late nighters.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

sporklift posted:

My wedding is getting a bit closer so I thought I would start posting in this thread for some advice. As of now I have just sent out save the dates and have a very basic knot website. The wedding is in Sept of this year. We are having it on the Oregon coast in front of my grandparents house on the beach. I was kinda surprised that my girl suggested that. So. Does anyone have any tips for a beach wedding. The logistics are kinda tripping me out. Wedding will be on the beach. Reception, on the beach and porches of a couple houses. Food will be (hopefully) from a local taco truck parked in the driveway. DJ on the deck for a couple hours and then a bonfire on the beach for the late nighters.

People remember the booze, food and music. As long as you have that covered, the weather holds, and YOU and significant other are happy with the other details then just enjoy the day. You only get ONE (hopefully) so don't sweat the small stuff.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It is impossible to find a tie/bowtie that matches the bridesmaids dresses. Eugh.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It is impossible to find a tie/bowtie that matches the bridesmaids dresses. Eugh.

Have you tried the Tie Bar, they gave a gigantic selection and offer a good value. That is, cheap but not terrible quality for the price.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

They were the first people I tried and I couldn't find one that matched. I sent them another message just in case Im missing something.

I also tried Ties.com and boy their ties are worse quality and 5 bucks more. Im gonna return these ties because I really dislike them and plus they dont match anyway. Theres anotherone I found thats sending me swatches but I have very little faith in them.

Fwiw Im trying to match this amethyst

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Are you trying to do a 100% match? I'd just get something in the ballpark. Identical color matching always looks a bit cheesy. I'd just try for something in the same ballpark.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ballpark is our game, but the bowties we got aren't really close unfortunately. The purple is like, a vibrant purple where the bowtie is like a regular purple with hints of red. We initially thought it was close enough but really, side by side they're just dissimilar enough for it to be weird.

E: We might just go with it, because I think you're right. Honestly as long as the colors don't clash it'll be fine.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 5, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Hmm, less wasted food is supposed to be a selling point of plated meals, since they know exactly how much they need to make if the guests choose in advance.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

smackfu posted:

Hmm, less wasted food is supposed to be a selling point of plated meals, since they know exactly how much they need to make if the guests choose in advance.

But buffet is less of a waste because if you don't want it then you won't take it...plated gives you everything whether you want it or not.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

And people can get seconds, and you don't have to worry about labeling everyone's place cards with their meal choice, or have people bitching about your choice of meal if you decide to feed everyone the same thing, people with dietary concerns can choose what goes on their plate, etc.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

And people can get seconds, and you don't have to worry about labeling everyone's place cards with their meal choice, or have people bitching about your choice of meal if you decide to feed everyone the same thing, people with dietary concerns can choose what goes on their plate, etc.

Yea my fiancé and I considered Family Style as well, but then you just get the issue of that ONE person being an rear end and taking more so someone ends up getting less than what they want. I feel buffet is probably the easiest way to go, and the place of our reception plates the wedding party and brings it to the table. They also said if I wanted something specific for myself or the wedding party they'd make it special for me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We just got a quote and they had family style as the most expensive option, compared to plated. Here was the explanation. (The $25 difference includes service charge.)

quote:

As for the cost difference, yes $25 per person is correct. A family style meal is the most expensive. There needs to be enough of each vegetable, starch, pasta, protein, etc to feed each guests and extra to refill platters at each table as needed. There are also additional rentals needed for service platters, bowls, and utensils for each menu item. More service staff is also necessary to speed up the time of service.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 6, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The one thing my caterer refused to serve buffet style was kids' meals because all the adults would take all the chicken nuggets and mac and cheese before the kiddos could get to it :downs:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The one thing my caterer refused to serve buffet style was kids' meals because all the adults would take all the chicken nuggets and mac and cheese before the kiddos could get to it :downs:

drat right. My fiancé is sad that we couldn't put chicken fingers and French fries on the menu for our engagement party. We picked mozzarella stick as the appetizer to appease him, though.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
One of my best friends just proposed and now it's great to watch him go through all the stuff I just did last year. He's been engaged for 4 days and he's already annoyed at all the people asking when the date is.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Buggiezor posted:

One of my best friends just proposed and now it's great to watch him go through all the stuff I just did last year. He's been engaged for 4 days and he's already annoyed at all the people asking when the date is.

hahaha I loved when people asked me that question.

Whens the date
April
Wow short engagement
no no no next april
Wow long engagement

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

smackfu posted:

We just got a quote and they had family style as the most expensive option, compared to plated. Here was the explanation. (The $25 difference includes service charge.)

Our prices were:
$32/person Buffet
$34/person Family Style
$42/person Plated

No idea why that is...the prices didn't really make sense to me either since there should be less waste on plated style. Then on top of that we opted to pay the $7/person to have all non-alcoholic drinks and mixers provided, because gently caress if I am going to try and calculate the amount of Seltzer, Soda Water, Simple Syrup and Cranberry Juice I loving need...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The family style quote actually included a choice of main dish at service time so it makes sense it would be so much more. Like instead of paying for 100 entrees you are paying for 150 or so.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I'm also in mass and yeah typically they are but this is not 100% universal in all venues.

Must of been the venues I was looking at. Also, trying to keep a wedding under 15 grand was apparently a pipe dream.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Booked the cake (3 levels, Chocolate, Caramel and Marble) today. Ordered her ring.

One of the 6 places we went to said they CAN order The One Ring from the Lord of the Rings. Should find out the price next week. Has anyone bought one to use, and if I ordered it online, where to get it from?

I figure if I need to wear some jewellery for the rest of my life, I might as well show off my geekdom as I do it. Also to confuse a future archaeologist who digs it up.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 15, 2015

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I in fact ordered 2 The One Rings (for fun purposes, not for a wedding) from Amazon just two days ago. They look great and have a nice heft to them.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Must of been the venues I was looking at. Also, trying to keep a wedding under 15 grand was apparently a pipe dream.

Ugh that's what we're aiming for. Don't know if we can manage it either. The cost of this stuff is insane

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My husband wears the One Ring as his wedding ring, and mine is custom-made but based off Nenya. We got his at the source, WETA - the solid gold ones are way out of our price range, but the gold-plated tungsten has been fantastic. No signs of wear after almost two years and it's satisfyingly heavy.

Edit: This is also an excellent place! You can get them custom-engraved in English or Elven, if the original One Ring's inscription isn't romantic enough for you.

Sweet Gulch fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 15, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'd say its 99% universal but I saw at least one venue with a more expensive buffet

and yeah getting married for under 15K is impossible or just really really difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Comstar posted:

One of the 6 places we went to said they CAN order The One Ring from the Lord of the Rings. Should find out the price next week. Has anyone bought one to use, and if I ordered it online, where to get it from?

I figure if I need to wear some jewellery for the rest of my life, I might as well show off my geekdom as I do it. Also to confuse a future archaeologist who digs it up.

I guess it's a matter of individual taste, but I don't know why anyone would choose a reproduction movie prop for something as personal and "serious" as a wedding ring. Like, you're still going to be gung ho about "the one ring" in 30 years?