Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish that the 'universe' was consistent across all platforms. Think they'll fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish that the 'universe' was consistent across all platforms. Think they'll fix that?

It is a pretty simple process actually.
But you gotta get behind it and do it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Single tile platforming is still bullshit, even with pulse jump. Pray to god you don't sweep your mouse pointer in the wrong direction if you do not have modded walk backwards speeds.

However, just steel armor let me bumble my way through the first Apex facility I've run across rather forgvingly despite frequently landing in poison pools or bashing my face against teslaspikes with time to use bandages.

So while they are still poorly designed, at least Tier 1 equipment can let you deal with them so long as you can recover and get to a safe spot. Made it through the first side, got a pistol that's worse than my Compound bow but at least I don't have to pull back a string. So improvement! Sort of-.

*dies trying to backtrack after missing a single tile platform and falling through seven tesla spikes and landing into a poison pool*

gently caress. Well, at least it's 30 seconds to the left of the teleport point.

EDIT:

The game does not have the precision platforming mechanics to not bash your head on the way through here 99% of the time. Miraculously I avoided it on the way out, but drat. My prize for turning off the shield generator was a lightning gun that looks really cool works horribly because low damage rapid fire is kind of hosed with the current combat system.

The REAL prize, being allowed to collect brains in jars and other office supplies for later decorative use.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 5, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I wish guns were good. I could forgive pretty much everything else if guns were effective and fun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Rapid-fire guns are kinda good for killing annoying flying enemies sometimes.

Some of the slower-firing guns are actually decent. The Novakid craftable revolvers are pretty good in their own tiers. You still need to swap to melee occasionally, but you can significantly soften up anything you can't kill outright with a few shots from each gun.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Davoren posted:

I wish guns were good. I could forgive pretty much everything else if guns were effective and fun.

Slow-firing guns are pretty good. Fast-firing guns are nearly useless, especially at higher levels, because of the way armor works. I've been looking at armor and damage variables in an attempt to mod them but the exact formulas are obfuscated. For the past day I've been musing over a way to make fast-firing guns not poo poo while not making slow firing guns ridiculously overpowered with the tools available but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Hopefully Chucklefish will balance this stuff eventually.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Rapid-fire guns are kinda good for killing annoying flying enemies sometimes.

Some of the slower-firing guns are actually decent. The Novakid craftable revolvers are pretty good in their own tiers. You still need to swap to melee occasionally, but you can significantly soften up anything you can't kill outright with a few shots from each gun.

Yeah, it's just a shame you can't outright replace melee with ranged weapons and still be as effective, this is a space game dammit!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pakled posted:

Slow-firing guns are pretty good. Fast-firing guns are nearly useless, especially at higher levels, because of the way armor works. I've been looking at armor and damage variables in an attempt to mod them but the exact formulas are obfuscated. For the past day I've been musing over a way to make fast-firing guns not poo poo while not making slow firing guns ridiculously overpowered with the tools available but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Hopefully Chucklefish will balance this stuff eventually.

Add an armor piercing attribute to guns, give lots of it to rapid fire weapons and none to stuff like sniper rifles. Or maybe lots and lots of fast hits could temporarily lower an enemy's armor?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Davoren posted:

Yeah, it's just a shame you can't outright replace melee with ranged weapons and still be as effective, this is a space game dammit!

"Sweet, I found a shotgun in the lunar base! This should be perfect for killing space zombies because it is a shotgun right" *Does less damage point blank across 3-4 every-pellet-hits shots than a single swipe with a steel one handed sword* And into the garbage it goes." :flaccid:

EDIT: We need Rate of fire to just get downright bonkers, but have low low energy cost to make rapid weapons work. Death of a zillion 1 HP damage cuts, like old stable (and possible current) where once you got up to Impervium tier worlds, those NPC's with Uzi's you'd laugh at would just go crazy with their infinite energy pools firing a about a hundred rounds a second, all 1 or 2 damage, but absolutely MURDERING you from sheer volume of fire.

That sort of thing is why I was so :ohdear: about them giving shields health bars, because of poo poo like that. As it is, every single multishot projectile from monsters has good odds of shieldbreaking you from full.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 5, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There is a rage buff that increases damage done, I wonder if it is possible to tweak how effective buffs are? If you could make a buff that applies a flat damage bonus, it would basically remove speed penalty due to armor. Combined with a rework of the speed->energy formula, and fast weapons might be useful on more than just 1 boss.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ZypherIM posted:

There is a rage buff that increases damage done, I wonder if it is possible to tweak how effective buffs are? If you could make a buff that applies a flat damage bonus, it would basically remove speed penalty due to armor. Combined with a rework of the speed->energy formula, and fast weapons might be useful on more than just 1 boss.

The buff (status effect) system has been opened up to scripting and is now incredibly versatile, it's pretty excellent. It should be able to do pretty much whatever you want if you can handle the lua end.

But, I don't know for sure whether gear can give you status effects. They used to be able to give them to you in the form of "augments" - like the back piece that was a flower that turned sunlight into energy - but they sort of removed that system for some reason. I'm not sure if they completely disabled that system, or just removed the augments from the items, though. Or maybe gear can give status effects now. Chime in if you know.

Draykon
Jun 7, 2013
Terraria has a similar system with armor that works by subtracting incoming damage on a per-hit basis, and it makes it work just by beefing up the damage on rapidfire weapons.

Basically all you have to do is figure out what the average enemy armor value for any given tier is, then add that to the final per-shot damage of any generated weapon. That way enemies with above-average armor are still extra resistant to rapidfire weapons, but enemies with low armor are more vulnerable to them, due to them having higher DPS overall.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Draykon posted:

Terraria has a similar system with armor that works by subtracting incoming damage on a per-hit basis, and it makes it work just by beefing up the damage on rapidfire weapons.

Basically all you have to do is figure out what the average enemy armor value for any given tier is, then add that to the final per-shot damage of any generated weapon. That way enemies with above-average armor are still extra resistant to rapidfire weapons, but enemies with low armor are more vulnerable to them, due to them having higher DPS overall.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to just add damage to a gun on a per-shot basis, only on a basis of level and energy cost per damage.

Also as far as I can tell, all randomly generated monsters have no armor and every npc either has no armor (for instance, Apex mutants) or a set amount of armor that's the same for all armored npcs of their level. Right now I'm thinking of just making it so npcs don't have armor and buffing their health pools accordingly (and adjusting the health pools of unarmored NPCs which seem to have higher base health), but that might be boring having every enemy of every type of the same level take the exact same number of shots with a given weapon to kill.

I'd prefer to change the way armor reduces damage taken, so it doesn't reduce damage by a flat number but only decreases it by a certain %, which would also affect guns added by mods, but that's apparently protected and the closest I can get to it is the lua files in the stats folder.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 5, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I wonder how practical it would be to give all guns a stacking, amplifying debuff that applied elevating armour reductions at certain stack breakpoints. Slow guns would still smash through armour via brute force, but extremely fast guns would go from piddling to "huh, this is actually starting to worry me" to :stare: after a relatively short period of sustained fire, making finding cover or ending the fight quickly very important to avoid those thousand papercuts paving the way for a thousand sucking chest wounds. If the debuff deteriorated relatively briskly, you could duck behind cover to catch your breath and be none the worse for wear unless your bullet-spraying antagonist decided to press the advantage up close.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 6, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pakled posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no way to just add damage to a gun on a per-shot basis, only on a basis of level and energy cost per damage.

The custom projectile system is pretty flexible, and while I'm not sure if projectiles are scriptable, projectiles can cause status effects, which are scriptable. You'd have to create a new projectile and possibly a new status effect. From there you'd make a status effect that is basically like a Damage over Time that only ticks a single time, and just gives some additional set number of damage to each shot, or maybe a percentage of the target's health, so it's a scalable effect that you can apply to all rapidfire guns. Or maybe even something less clumsy than that.

Hell, maybe you could even make an effect that does additional damage based on how much armor the target has.

edit:

Angry Diplomat posted:

I wonder how practical it would be to give all guns a stacking, amplifying debuff that applied elevating armour reductions at certain stack breakpoints. Slow guns would still smash through armour via brute force, but extremely fast guns would go from piddling to "huh, this is actually starting to worry me" to :stare: after a relatively short period of sustained fire, making finding cover or ending the fight quickly very important to avoid those thousand papercuts paving the way for a thousand sucking chest wounds. If the debuff deteriorated relatively briskly, you could duck behind cover to catch your breath and be none the worse for wear unless your bullet-spraying antagonist decided to press the advantage up close.

This would be cool too, I was thinking of something along these lines, but wasn't sure how practical it was to have 10+ stacks of a single debuff on an enemy - but it could probably work.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Vib Rib posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/enhanced-storage.2450/
Enhanced storage isn't new. It bumps the storage of existing containers up across the board, so chests are 64 slots, large containers like crates are 80, and huge containers like the ship locker reach 100. It sounded a little cheaty so I was hesitant but after trying it out I don't think I can ever go back.
Even more importantly than that however, it just updated recently with a new feature that lets you pick up chests with their contents intact. So if you have a big packed storage room and want to move it, reorganize it, whatever, you don't have to break each container and let poo poo spill out all over the floor, then place the containers and put the items back in one at a time. Just grab all the containers and put them down and voila, everything's exactly where you left it. The convenience is amazing, and if it wasn't for this I can't imagine how obnoxious it would have been to move all my storage planetside from my ship. It's so good it needs to be a vanilla mod. I can't describe how convenient it is. Seriously. Get it, get it, get it.
I like the concept of this, especially being able to move containers around freely without them exploding, but it seems like they're too big. I'd settle for just allowing vanilla containers to be moved around properly.

Though really this is basically giving you a recursive bag of holding which is almost cheating.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It isn't that hard to fix projectile weapon damage. Chucklefish is just bad.

(DPS stat - armor) / fire rate

If you have a weapon that does 800 damage 0.5 times per second for 400 dps, attacking somebody that has 100 armor:

(400 - 100) / 0.5 = 600 damage per shot.

45 damage 9 times per second for 405 dps against 100 armor:

(405 - 100) / 9 = 33.888 damage per shot.

Basically, subtract armor from your dps instead of each shot and now you have normalized fast firing and slow firing weapons.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Fired up this after waiting a year for Chucklefuck to release one single update. It's gotta be good right?

Spent half an hour trying to find copper to upgrade my MM.

Installed Illuminated Ores.

STILL took half an hour to find 20 copper ore.

Uninstalled.

That's my story, maybe I'll reinstall it again in a year's time when Chucklefish have fixed all the blindingly obvious bad gameplay mecha-ahahahahahahahaha who am I kidding

edit: Oh yeah, I found one of those stupid capsule things and it poisoned me, so I went to craft a bandage to stop myself dying. Well the TUTORIAL QUEST COMPLETED dialogue popped up and I died before I could use the bandage. GOTY 2015

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Pakled posted:

Also as far as I can tell, all randomly generated monsters have no armor and every npc either has no armor (for instance, Apex mutants) or a set amount of armor that's the same for all armored npcs of their level. Right now I'm thinking of just making it so npcs don't have armor and buffing their health pools accordingly (and adjusting the health pools of unarmored NPCs which seem to have higher base health), but that might be boring having every enemy of every type of the same level take the exact same number of shots with a given weapon to kill.

I'd prefer to change the way armor reduces damage taken, so it doesn't reduce damage by a flat number but only decreases it by a certain %, which would also affect guns added by mods, but that's apparently protected and the closest I can get to it is the lua files in the stats folder.

It should be as easy as upping the power in gun that has a an attached projectileType like in the Aegisalt Plasma Rifle:

"projectileType" : "greenplasmabullet",
"projectile" : {
"speed" : 75,
"life" : 3,
"power" : 0.78

Or straight upping either the baseDps or multiplier in something like the Assault Rifle:
"weaponType" : "Assault Rifle",
"baseDps" : [5, 6],
"multiplier" : 1.0,

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Emergent gameplay.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
2+ years in development and no "loot all" option for chests.

2+ years in development and floaty, inertia-wankery controls.

2+ years in development and a half dozen mods are required to turn the game from utter poo poo to just poo poo.

2+ years in development and the game runs far worse than before.

2+ years in development and combat is hilariously unbalanced.

2+ years in development and core game systems are still being gutted and re-tooled.

2+ years in development and inventory management = hope you like a billion loving containers. No auto-sorting.

2+ years in development and they still can't figure out that mining isn't very fun, pickaxes are loving stupid and the MM should fill every need with upgrades.

2+ years in development and Novakids are humans with a filter over the top.

2+ years in development and they use the OS's RNG for seeds.

2+ years in development and this game is a piece of poo poo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okay

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

nightwisher posted:

2+ years in development and no "loot all" option for chests.

2+ years in development and floaty, inertia-wankery controls.

2+ years in development and a half dozen mods are required to turn the game from utter poo poo to just poo poo.

2+ years in development and the game runs far worse than before.

2+ years in development and combat is hilariously unbalanced.

2+ years in development and core game systems are still being gutted and re-tooled.

2+ years in development and inventory management = hope you like a billion loving containers. No auto-sorting.

2+ years in development and Novakids are humans with a filter over the top.

2+ years in development and they use the OS's RNG for seeds.

these are all pretty fair

nightwisher posted:

2+ years in development and they still can't figure out that mining isn't very fun, pickaxes are loving stupid and the MM should fill every need with upgrades.

but the mm actually does feel every need with upgrades. it shouldn't be as much of a grind to get there though so good job loving up the thing you finally managed to get right, chucklefish.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
You can loot all with like space or something, pretty sure

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Shukaro posted:

You can loot all with like space or something, pretty sure

nope, 2+ years and still no loot all button

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nightwisher posted:

Installed Illuminated Ores.

STILL took half an hour to find 20 copper ore.
There's no way this should be the case unless you just wandered around the surface.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wish there was a "Dont pick up bricks/tiles" option, really.

That'd be delightful.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

There's no way this should be the case unless you just wandered around the surface.

That's what I thought too, I had the more caves mod installed too and for some reason I was able to find 100+ iron/silver/gold but basically no traces of copper. I could probably find some on another planet but honestly I was so underwhelmed by the current state of the game that I couldn't be bothered to keep playing. As it was, it was the most boring hour of gameplay I've experienced in quite a while. Add to that the fact that they've used randomised content in such a trite and uninspired way that I don't feel like there's anything cool to explore or do because it's just going to be the same randomised mess. I gave your Prismatic Worlds mod a look at Vib and THAT'S the kind of randomisation a game like this should go for.

Base Starbound is the most cookie-cutter poo poo I've played in ages. How do you take Terraria, put it in space, and gently caress it up so badly?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

nightwisher posted:

You know, I could live with all of that. If the game was interesting or engaging at some level.
I didn't think terraria with map hopping would make it super boring.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Well if you are having trouble getting ore Moar Ore has been updated for this stable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nightwisher posted:

I gave your Prismatic Worlds mod a look at Vib and THAT'S the kind of randomisation a game like this should go for.
Well the downside it's still broken apparently. I can't get solarium ore to spawn at the proper levels or uranium to spawn at all. Something's still fucky.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The "More Caves" mod makes such a huge difference. Thanks, whichever goon filled the planets with holes.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Doggboat posted:

You know, I could live with all of that. If the game was interesting or engaging at some level.

Nail on the head.

Terraria with map-hopping would be boring if every map were the same, which is what Starbound feels like. To me, Starbound just feels wrong on a fundamental level, like the whole project needs to be scrapped and started over.

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015

quote:

Fix bug where NPCs were killed by breaking beds

THIS IS A LIE. I JUST KILLED A RANDOM APEX. RIP MONKEY BRO. Also welcome back Sandman perk.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

nightwisher posted:

To me, Starbound just feels wrong on a fundamental level, like the whole project needs to be scrapped and started over.

based on how often they rework elementary poo poo in this game, so does chucklefish.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 6, 2015

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

nightwisher posted:

That's what I thought too, I had the more caves mod installed too and for some reason I was able to find 100+ iron/silver/gold but basically no traces of copper. I could probably find some on another planet but honestly I was so underwhelmed by the current state of the game that I couldn't be bothered to keep playing. As it was, it was the most boring hour of gameplay I've experienced in quite a while. Add to that the fact that they've used randomised content in such a trite and uninspired way that I don't feel like there's anything cool to explore or do because it's just going to be the same randomised mess. I gave your Prismatic Worlds mod a look at Vib and THAT'S the kind of randomisation a game like this should go for.

Base Starbound is the most cookie-cutter poo poo I've played in ages. How do you take Terraria, put it in space, and gently caress it up so badly?

Copper is indeed too rare on the starting planet, I feel like. You need to dig really, really deep.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

nightwisher posted:

That's what I thought too, I had the more caves mod installed too and for some reason I was able to find 100+ iron/silver/gold but basically no traces of copper. I could probably find some on another planet but honestly I was so underwhelmed by the current state of the game that I couldn't be bothered to keep playing. As it was, it was the most boring hour of gameplay I've experienced in quite a while.

This sucks. It shouldn't matter whether it takes you 10 or 60 minutes to get off the first world; if the only thing the player is focusing on is getting to the next checkpoint so they can finally do something cool, then you've already failed. The first world should be fun enough on its own that even if a player spends a half hour exploring that world before he finds enough copper, it doesn't matter, because he was having a good time anyway.

The game's too achievement oriented. It kind of sucks the enjoyment out of things when you could be looking around the planet to see if there's anything interesting, (which there probably isn't ATM, but that's a very easy fix) and occasionally mining anything cool you happen to come across, but instead you're sitting underground mining copper like a robot.

I wonder if it would be better if the quests were hidden? Like, instead of giving you a quest, which you then focused on at the exclusion of everything else, the game could just let you do whatever - and if you happen to fulfill a quest, then it would have a pop-up from SAIL appear that tells you about it. Getting 20 pieces of copper could be a fun surprise, instead of a repetitive slog.

You'd have to redesign some of the quests to make this work, but only the lovely ones like the coffee thing. And maybe have a couple non-hidden quests too, it can be a mix, whatever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Shevmo posted:

THIS IS A LIE. I JUST KILLED A RANDOM APEX. RIP MONKEY BRO. Also welcome back Sandman perk.

On nightly?

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015
Naw still with the regular stable. Looks like they fixed the chest sizes again too. Man I wish they'd make up their mind. I'm nervous about organizing my poo poo in case they decide to make everything contain one item only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Doggboat posted:

Of course it would. Terraria is about solving the "puzzle" of a randomly generated (but ultimately limited) map. There is no such permanence in Starbound, therefore there is no puzzle, so the RNG starts to show and now you've lost suspension of disbelief and welp who the gently caress cares, let's scour the surface for dungeons to raid or just dig straight down to the lava layer and slurp up the highest-tier ore, then once the rock gets too tough, Save-Quit, load the game, and fly off to the next most difficult planet.

It's Miner Dig Deep clumsily glued to a lovely Diabloesque platformer. Don't get me wrong, every update improves each half, but I've seen no evidence that Chucklefish has any clue how to actually merge the two into something even half as compelling as Terraria.

• Locked thread