Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

"software mishaps that affect real lives"

Can someone explain to me how being blocked by feminists on Twitter has ruined some MRA-lite's life?

"Friendzoned again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Crain posted:

I get ya. Unless there's some specific claims he's making there's probably not much to point to. People just love to hate and even pointing out that they're wrong on specifics will just net a "Well they're still a [slur here].

Maybe try CAIR. But again that's only good for specific claims and not random, plain old racism.

Mort is the OP

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zeitgueist posted:

Mort is the OP

Yeah, that the same old racism we always see. There's nothing to really retort about it. Mary Christmas is just looking for anyone and anything that calls Islam evil so any source you bring up will probably be called biased or worse he'll bring up Taqiyya and then you're just going to be playing No True Scotsman.

There's nothing to do here. Bud Jet has the right idea, nuke it from orbit.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Crain posted:

There's nothing to do here. Bud Jet has the right idea, nuke it from orbit.

Yeah but he was talking about "all muslims" and not "this thread"

Anyhow I just like to have resources because the OP is a guy who was in the military and works in an echo-chamber but is legitimately a good person and not racist that I have seen...but everybody else in that thread pretty much is.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I don't get the Chris Kyle craze. Who knows how much of his memoir was really true? Just look at the defamation case brought about by Jesse Ventura regarding the alleged punching incident.

If you don't jerk off to the thought of headshotting foreigners we've deemed to be enemies then I question your patriotism. Chris Kyle got to live the dream of murdering people I am afraid of as a career.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

With regard to the SF bookstore blaming the min wage increase, Romney came through Richmond, VA during his campaign and met with the guy who ran a local BBQ chain. He was going out of business and told Romney it was because of Obama and the economy, while a lot of people were going "Bullshit, you just made really bad BBQ."
A competing local BBQ chain responded by saying they'd recently gotten a business loan thanks to Obama's policies and got to expand :lol:

Edit: Here's the article

Oh holy poo poo i remember this! it was also located in a notoriously low travled and lovely part of town too. The best part was all of the local right wing shills adopted them as a advertising partner and they still died a flameing death by lovely bbq. Good riddence.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah but he was talking about "all muslims" and not "this thread"

Anyhow I just like to have resources because the OP is a guy who was in the military and works in an echo-chamber but is legitimately a good person and not racist that I have seen...but everybody else in that thread pretty much is.

Well you can still check out CAIR and show him polls on how American muslims think and feel about situations and such. But again, it's just going to turn into a "No True Muslim" situation.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Crain posted:

Yeah, that the same old racism we always see. There's nothing to really retort about it. Mary Christmas is just looking for anyone and anything that calls Islam evil...
It looks to me like Tom and Mary aren't shooting wildly; they're taking pretty specific aim at the Koran and its more troubling verses (e.g. "Kill all the infidels"). One could rebut that such verses are not as bad as they sound (and if anyone knows of a good way to do this, I would love to hear it). Alternatively, one could point out that the vast majority of Muslims live completely peaceful lives; that they basically choose to ignore (or at least, favorably interpret) the more troubling language in the Koran, much as Christians and Jews basically ignore the more outrageous stuff in their holy books.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Totally, not racist guys b/c I mentioned 'poo poo' too! :smuggo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tibeerius posted:

much as Christians and Jews basically ignore the more outrageous stuff in their holy books.
Or if you just want to troll them, this but "If you think Christians/Jews are part of a religion of peace, just look at their books" and quote selectively.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tibeerius posted:

It looks to me like Tom and Mary aren't shooting wildly; they're taking pretty specific aim at the Koran and its more troubling verses (e.g. "Kill all the infidels"). One could rebut that such verses are not as bad as they sound (and if anyone knows of a good way to do this, I would love to hear it). Alternatively, one could point out that the vast majority of Muslims live completely peaceful lives; that they basically choose to ignore (or at least, favorably interpret) the more troubling language in the Koran, much as Christians and Jews basically ignore the more outrageous stuff in their holy books.

The problem with pointing out similar languages in the Torah/Bible is that the response is just "We got over it, they haven't" or "That doesn't make it right". Pointing out that the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful similarly falls on deaf ears or is countered with "But they let them keep practicing and don't stop them". And again any articles showing Imams calling for peace or decrying Wahabists will just have cries of "Taqiyya" since this whole thing is just McCarthyism and the Commies again.

But he should still try and rebut him if Zeitguist feels it's neccesary. CAIR is going to be his best bet for finding things if that's the case because it focuses on American Muslims and not Middle Easterners, so it should be harder to handwave away by saying "Oh they're just lying to foreign reporters because it's a conspiracy!".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Crain posted:

But he should still try and rebut him if Zeitguist feels it's neccesary. CAIR is going to be his best bet for finding things if that's the case because it focuses on American Muslims and not Middle Easterners, so it should be harder to handwave away by saying "Oh they're just lying to foreign reporters because it's a conspiracy!".

It's not 'necessary" per se, but I believe a couple things about arguing on facebook

- nobody will ever admit they lost an argument
- echo chambers happen and folks who are otherwise good people can be steered into lovely/bigoted lines of thought
- there's always workers who may form opinions in part/whole without ever participating

i mean sure facebook is a terrible medium for doing basically anything but it's how a decent chunk of the population grinds through their deskjobs and discusses issues

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Lost opportunity of the century if they don't paint DEBT on the side.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Saw this one on facebook:

quote:

Guys, I wanted to let you know about a personal decision I recently made. I don't really feel like discussing it, but I want to put my position out there. Please be respectful. This is a really long post, but please read the whole thing.

I'm taking the brakes off my car. This isn't a rash decision, so please listen up.

A few weeks ago I saw a car accident - two people went through an intersection at the same time. Both slammed on their brakes at the same time and collided. Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

But then it occurred to me - if they had just gone through the intersection, they wouldn't have collided. The brakes CAUSED the accident!

So, I decided to do my own research and what I found was *staggering*: Hundreds of people every year are seriously injured by unnecessary braking. One time, I was driving in the snow and I just lightly tapped my brakes and it caused my car to COMPLETELY LOSE CONTROL. My brakes could have very easily gotten me killed. Even more astoundingly is how often brake pads will warp and distort rotors, causing bumpy rides and squeaky wheels.

And you know what? I also found that decades ago brakes weren't even used! People would control their vehicle's speed with downshifting and engine braking. Maybe it's just coincidence, but back when engine braking was used there were almost no automotive fatalities. There were NEVER brake caused car accidents.

After doing some more digging, I found a nefarious plot - Mechanics: The very people who we trust to work on and care for our cars - get PAID to install and change brakes! You might THINK they care about our safety, or our cars - but they're just in it for the $49.99 brake pad installations.

So I talked to my Mechanic about taking the brakes off my car and I was disgusted by how poorly he treated me. He accused me of being ignorant, when I was the one that looked up how much rotational torque brakes can put on your rotors. He didn't even know how much torque a rotor can take before being warped!!! He said "rotors are designed to be compressed, that it isn't actually a problem" just completely dismissing me.

Then he had the NERVE to say that my personal choice had consequences, that I would affect everyone around me. Well I've had it with him, I'm looking for a new mechanic. The problem is that so many mechanics are bought and paid by the automotive industry that ALL of them are insistent about my car having brakes. Most of them won't even look at my car for other reasons, saying that a brakeless car could cause damage to their shop and other cars. What a bunch of bullshit, they just don't like those who believe in alternative braking techniques.

Now of course big government is getting involved, saying that I *MUST* have brakes. That this isn't just about me, and that I could hurt people. What happened to personal freedom? What happened to liberty?

So all I'm saying is, do your research. Don't just listen to the NTSB and big automotive. I made a personal decision for my family, we just said no to brakes. We'll be using natural remedies like Gravity, and putting our feet on the ground to stop. After all, if that was good enough for me when I was on my bike as a kid, it's good enough for my children in my car.

Please keep the comments respectful!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zeitgueist posted:

Where did you find this? I just had yet another argument with anti-vaxxers+"teach the controversy" idiots.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

This thread has ruined me.. I just for a moment about half way through was falling for it thinking this was serious. Poe's law in action I guess.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where did you find this? I just had yet another argument with anti-vaxxers+"teach the controversy" idiots.

share of a share on facebook

didn't see whether the original person made it up or was reposting so I didn't want to use their name

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

:words:

Jesus Christ, that is a :master:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Jesus Christ, that is a :master:

Indeed. Shamelessly ganked it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Possibly original to here: http://robertmoorejr.tumblr.com/post/110101466091/im-an-anti-braker

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Yep came to post that, that's the source

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Beautiful. Stealing this.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Zeitgueist posted:

:glomp:

My wall has been quiet so far. Then there's this:

:confused: I'm not sure this is a thing that needs the support of a Facebook re-post spamathon. Are there people who are pro child abuse but who would have their mind changed by this image?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda depends on the child I guess...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Duke Igthorn posted:

Kinda depends on the child I guess...

Hitler was a child. Not punishing Hitler means you hate Jews. Q.E.D.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
It's along the lines of that "1 Like = one prayer, 1 share = 5 prayer!" bullshit. What kind of conception of god has him looking at facebook likes/shares? I guess it solves the problem of evil somewhat, Hitler happened because facebook wasn't around yet.

edit: and whoever started that is apparently against child abuse, but not strongly enough to bother finding a non-artifacted picture of a heart.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pong Daddy posted:

It's along the lines of that "1 Like = one prayer, 1 share = 5 prayer!" bullshit. What kind of conception of god has him looking at facebook likes/shares? I guess it solves the problem of evil somewhat, Hitler happened because facebook wasn't around yet.

edit: and whoever started that is apparently against child abuse, but not strongly enough to bother finding a non-artifacted picture of a heart.
Are not three score and four pixels compressed as one block? Yet not one byte will be discarded outside your Father's care. And even the very edges of your image are all quantized. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many artifacts.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pong Daddy posted:

The onion's got your back

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 6, 2015

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Crain posted:

The problem with pointing out similar languages in the Torah/Bible is that the response is just "We got over it, they haven't" or "That doesn't make it right". Pointing out that the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful similarly falls on deaf ears or is countered with "But they let them keep practicing and don't stop them". And again any articles showing Imams calling for peace or decrying Wahabists will just have cries of "Taqiyya" since this whole thing is just McCarthyism and the Commies again.

Just like most arguments against people who are being totally irrational, you only have three real options:
1) give up on ever changing their mind and make reasoned arguments aimed at anyone who might be reading
2) attempt to use shame as a social punishment for being an open racist
3) if you trust them to be intellectually honest, start off by asking what evidence they would require to change their belief.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mornacale posted:

Just like most arguments against people who are being totally irrational, you only have three real options:
1) give up on ever changing their mind and make reasoned arguments aimed at anyone who might be reading
2) attempt to use shame as a social punishment for being an open racist
3) if you trust them to be intellectually honest, start off by asking what evidence they would require to change their belief.

4) Needle them by asking questions that lead to logical holes in their argument until they get tired and admit they hold the belief for no reason. "I don't care. I just don't like pot!" "I don't care. I just don't think they should get married!"

I mostly do this for my own amusement, but a few times it has resulted in the person very very quietly changing their beliefs.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cpt.Americant posted:

This thread has ruined me.. I just for a moment about half way through was falling for it thinking this was serious. Poe's law in action I guess.

I figured it was a metaphor for something, but it wasn't until the end that I realized what. I thought it was going somewhere horrible.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How did anyone get two lines into the braking thing without realizing it was a takedown of anti-vaxxers?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How did anyone get two lines into the braking thing without realizing it was a takedown of anti-vaxxers?

For me at least, I just assumed it was meant to be something horrible. Mocking anti-vaxxers isn't the kind of things that usually shows up in the crazy forwards thread without a preface or something first.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Straight up pessimism. There's this article floating around that's gets truncated to "Why My Son Isn't Vaccinated" sometimes. When I saw it on an acquaintance's wall, I was pretty loving livid b/c she had kids and was vehemently for vaccination up to this point. "Surely this woman is joking, right?" Well, thankfully, I was right.

And her name wasn't Shirley.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

My only defense is that there was a guy recently discussed in a FB group who was honest-to-god driving his car around without brakes, and who didn't get why anyone was angry at him for doing it. It took me four lines to realize it wasn't that guy.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

My only defense is that there was a guy recently discussed in a FB group who was honest-to-god driving his car around without brakes, and who didn't get why anyone was angry at him for doing it. It took me four lines to realize it wasn't that guy.

Alright that's a legit reason.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
The Guardian has a nice fancy thing that shows how vaccination rates help with measles. Of course it's no better than banging your head against the wall but at least it's pretty.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

IslamoNazi posted:

The Guardian has a nice fancy thing that shows how vaccination rates help with measles. Of course it's no better than banging your head against the wall but at least it's pretty.

What the hell? Why did they decide to make colorblind eye charts out of their data? As a person with some degree of colorblindness, they can go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ErIog posted:

What the hell? Why did they decide to make colorblind eye charts out of their data? As a person with some degree of colorblindness, they can go gently caress themselves.

Eh, I'm also colorblind and the colors seem to contrast pretty well (unless there are more than 3 colors, because I only see 3). It would be worse if there were more than 3 colors, but it works okay when you can choose colors that contrast so much.